ConAgra Foods

Updated Jun 22, 2014

ConAgra Foods President, CEO, and Director Gary M. Rodkin

Gary M. Rodkin

71 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Lots of great co-workers, working collaboratively on continuous improvement.

Process Engineer (Former Employee)
    Omaha, NE

ProsExcellent pay and benefits, and the company values are outstanding. There is a broad portfolio of branded products, commodities processing, food service, and private label business, which enables one to touch the entire consumer foods industry from one location.

ConsThe company is risk averse, and tends to shy away from strategic investments in favor of tactical responses.

Advice to Senior ManagementDevelop a strategy of where you want to see your products and 5 years and have your people develop road maps to get there.

ConAgra review

Systems Analyst (Current Employee)
    Omaha, NE

ProsPeople are great to work with. Management is flexible on work hours and accommodating when situations requiring time off occur.

ConsThe path to advancement has requirements (internal certifications) that are not offered making advancement pretty much impossible. They don't value experience outside of ConAgra when promoting. There are no full time Project Managers limiting any Project Management work to minor tasks such as release scheduling.

Advice to Senior ManagementFully embrace Project Management. Weigh past experience when considering promotions.

Poor Decision Making in Ruining a Great Company

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Omaha, NE

ProsGreat brands that have a lot of potential.
    Fantastic R&D and Supply Chain groups that work well together.
    Good benefits and flexible work/life balance.

ConsCentralized decision making that is slow, risk averse and generally not as well informed as it believes it is.

Advice to Senior ManagementTruly embrace "Teach & Trust". With every decision having to go up to a Sr. VP or President, you will never be nimble, nor will you have any truly amazing new products. The lack of empowerment results in churn, lost opportunities, frustration, and ideas that had potential for greatness being compromised into boring offerings.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Slow

Cost Engineer (Former Employee)
    Omaha, NE

ProsFor the most part people were friendly, benefits and compensation are very good, and the job was not at all stressful.

ConsJob position was falsely advertised, implied a high level of responsibilities and project management but turned out to be clerical data entry 95% of the time.

Advice to Senior ManagementSave yourself some money and do not hire engineers do to data entry.

It was a good company but poor outlook is dragging down the growth

Senior Systems Analyst (Current Employee)
    Omaha, NE

ProsWork-life balance and summer hours are the most positive point.

Cons-Worst medical plan I have ever seen, and out of pocket is huge.
    -Growth opportunity is not at all there, and lots of internal politics.
    -Senior management just buying new tools irrespective of its usefulness, and later scrapping most of them as they were not able to use them properly.
    - Management don't focus on building what they have instead buy a new tool even existing system can provide all functionality what is needed.
    - Culture is not rewarding just expecting the good work.

Great Intern Experience

IT Intern (Current Employee)
    Omaha, NE

ProsLots of different experiences with different teams, good pay, good chance of getting a job. Overall a great experience

ConsSome managers and/or employees don't put forth enough effort and that can leave the intern with not enough to do.

Good experience - challenging culture

Brand Manager (Former Employee)
    Omaha, NE

ProsI learned a lot from my experience in Brand Management, in terms of how to own and run the P&L, and in regards to base business blocking and tackling of problems as they relate to distribution and velocity. Even as an ABM, you get as much responsibility and autonomy as a Brand Mgr or Sr. Brand Mgr., so it's sink or swim!

ConsThe culture is not so great at the corporate office in Omaha. Most senior leaders, when I was there a few yrs ago, in the Brand Management group rarely showed appreciation for the work that was done by the people below them and communication of information up and down the ranks was horrible. However, HR was working on improving the culture, but it will be a long, slow work in progress.

Sr. System Administrator

Senior Systems and Network Administrator (Current Employee)
    Omaha, NE

ProsPay is better than other local companies.

ConsToo much work for the staffing size. IT is very concerned about saving money but the business does not.

The best company I've had the pleasure working for!

Supply Chain Intern (Former Employee)
    Omaha, NE

ProsEveryone wants to see you succeed in you career and is willing to help you achieve your goals.

ConsAs an intern their isn't very many cons about working here. Great pay, Great relocation package plus two paid trips to Omaha, NE. I have nothing to complain about.

Fast-paced, offers many challenges

Finance Manager (Current Employee)
    Omaha, NE

ProsYou will be given ample responsibility and treated like a professional if you work and act like one. Many learning opportunities are the result of the company's many projects and constant changes. If you enjoy a fast pace and are not afraid of challenges, it could be a good opportunity for you.

ConsWell, it is based in Omaha... Hard to focus on core responsibilities as you are always working on special projects.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe company tries to bite off too much at once. Improvement projects, acquisitions, etc. Sometimes I think that it should just focus on running the business. Acquisition of Ralcorp is proving to be a very rough ride.

Worked for ConAgra Foods? Contribute to the Community!

ConAgra Foods Videos

ConAgra Foods – Why Work for Us?

At ConAgra Foods, we believe in the power of great food. Food you turn to every day, food you count on as part of your life. We make food that does more than satisfy your hunger — it actually gives you less to worry… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at ConAgra Foods reviews and ratings in Omaha, NE — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for ConAgra Foods CEO Gary M. Rodkin. All 71 reviews posted anonymously by ConAgra Foods employees.