ConAgra Foods

ConAgra Foods Reviews

Updated Jul 20, 2014

ConAgra Foods President, CEO, and Director Gary M. Rodkin

Gary M. Rodkin

Pros
  • Work-life balance and summer hours are the most positive point(in 27 reviews)

• Lots of different experiences with different teams, good pay, good chance of getting a job(in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • The work life balance largely depends upon your manager(in 8 reviews)

• Upper Management need to create co-authorship with employee(in 10 reviews)

Awesome first job!

Retail Sales Representative (Current Employee)

ProsGreat work-life balance, awesome management. Incredible benefits.

ConsThe overall company culture could be better.

A good company to work for

ProsOffers good benefits and relocation packages.

ConsLong hours and a lot of weekends if working in a plant.

Accounts Recievable

ProsLarge company, lots of opportunity

ConsEasy to get lost in the company

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

processor review

Processor (Current Employee)

Prosgreat place to work, good income, great boss and coworkers. increase pay fast during first year, duties are not hard or complicated

Consoften have lay off periods in which you may or may not be called back to work, sometimes work late or 6 days a week if production is up or you could only work a few days a week when production is down.

Advice to Senior Managementopen up plant duties to secure more contracts for the company,

Not What I Expected

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Saint Louis, MO

ProsThe people in St. Louis are very knowledgeable about the Private Brands environment. I enjoyed working with almost everyone and learned a lot from the VP over the product line that I supported and his team.

ConsThe culture of the company (Ralcorp Holdings) prior to ConAgra's purchase was a built around silos. I expected changes after the ConAgra purchase but the silos still existed. Health insurance benefits favor the young and healthy worker. High premiums and deductibles. Sr. Management does not capitalize on the knowledge base that was in St. Louis when the company was purchased.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to the people who understand Private Brands and heed their advice. Stop trying to manage Private Brands the way you do national brands -- they are not the same!

ConAgra could be a great company to work for.

Director (Former Employee)

ProsThe best things I liked about CAG was the overall culture, the commitment to diversity, and work life balance. The benefits were good.

ConsCompany cuts cost as a way to grow net revenue instead of trying to grow the topline. Marketing spending is cut all the time. Morale is low due to the continuous penny pinching initiatives such as taking away company provided cell phones.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on growing topline sales instead cutting costs every year.

Good company in a failing market

ProsThere is great culture and diversity especially at the plant level. Pay is above average. Benefits are solid. No life outside at the plant level.

ConsVery high turnover rate. Monetary bonuses are nonexistent for the majority of career levels. The recognition reward program is deeply flawed.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake your eyes off the stock price once in a while.

Great company with solid benefits

Operations Manager (Current Employee) Batesville, AR

ProsConAgra is a well run company with a clear business model and solidly established continuous improvement programs. They offer excellent career progression opportunities for those who are mobile.

ConsReally nothing about the company. Now, the food industry is pretty tough. It's high speed and high stress. But, there are many who love it.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the efforts. The company has made exceptional strides and have clearly distanced themselves from the ConAgra of old. This is a well managed organization that is primed for success for many years to come.

Lots of great co-workers, working collaboratively on continuous improvement.

Process Engineer (Former Employee) Omaha, NE

ProsExcellent pay and benefits, and the company values are outstanding. There is a broad portfolio of branded products, commodities processing, food service, and private label business, which enables one to touch the entire consumer foods industry from one location.

ConsThe company is risk averse, and tends to shy away from strategic investments in favor of tactical responses.

Advice to Senior ManagementDevelop a strategy of where you want to see your products and 5 years and have your people develop road maps to get there.

Great company, lots of opportunity to grow and take on new responsibility.

Consumer Insights Director (Current Employee) Naperville, IL

ProsMany Brands to support (provides opportunity), great pay and benefits, flexible work environment (work from home, tele-commute, etc.).

ConsBeing in the consumer goods/food industry provides challenges in terms of commodity prices, and food is a very competitive world (up against Kraft, Mondelez, Hillshire Brands).

Advice to Senior ManagementYou've done a lot for all the employees, and are pretty progressive in your thinking. But need to figure out how to provide on-going support to key brands vs, trying to spread resources across all brands. Need to figure out the key to consistent growth in a turbulent environment.

Worked for ConAgra Foods? Contribute to the Community!