ConAgra Foods

Updated December 18, 2014
3.1

ConAgra Foods President, CEO, and Director Gary M. Rodkin
Gary M. Rodkin

Pros
  • Work life balance can be good depending on your manager (in 33 reviews)

• Excellent pay and benefits, and the company values are outstanding (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • No work life balance because of cutting positions to the bone (in 9 reviews)

• Upper Management need to create co-authorship with employee (in 12 reviews)

More Highlights

Lack of Vision

Former Employee - Director of Sales
    Former Employee - Director of Sales

I worked at ConAgra Foods full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Popcorn, great local team, people

Cons

Organization has a mypotic view of markets and has little interest in serving the needs of the international consumer. This is an organization in a huge amount of flux that can not deliver on what it promises to their customers nor their employees

Provide vision beyond next period, quarter and year and then stick with it.

Operator Mechanic

Former Employee - Operator Mechanic in Council Bluffs, IA
    Former Employee - Operator Mechanic in Council Bluffs, IA

I worked at ConAgra Foods full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The only good thing about Conagra is that they work you so much that you have a lot of money because you never have time to spend it.

Cons

If you are in the military, this place is not for you. My supervisor & the workers used to give me grief all the time about having to have time off to attend drill. Management doesnt care about their employees. They are more concerned about themselves and are definitely willing to show favoritism to those employees who stay in line. They are sexist as well. They told me at one point that I need to stop working so hard because I make the guys look bad and they don't like that. It's by far the WORST place I have EVER worked at. Dont think you can go to HR for your problems either because they will just tell your supervisor or the person you complained about what you said. They dont care if that causes retaliation. Women in HR have been known to sleep with employees, mechanics, and union stewards so its also pointless to try to go to anyone else if you want a problem resolved. If you do work here, please just try to do it until you get something better. The money is really not worth the stress, trust me.

Stop treating your employees like slaves. They have families and other things in their life they have to attend to. If you treat your employees with respect, they will work harder for you. That is a proven fact according to any leadership and management course you take. Stop punishing people or making them feel bad for wanting to take a day off. Working 7 days a week all year round is not healthy. Perhaps if you address these issues, you might have a smaller turnover rate. Just a thought.

Team Leader with ConAgra Foods Newport TN

Former Employee - Team Leader in Newport, TN
    Former Employee - Team Leader in Newport, TN

I worked at ConAgra Foods full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The pay is better than average

Cons

No work / life balanc, high frequency of management turnover, unreasonable and unattainable expectations

Be part of the solution and work together as a team to make it a better place and increase productivity. Promote the good workers and help them be successful instead of setting them up for failure.

I would not want to work here permanently

Current Employee - Packer in Ripon, WI
    Current Employee - Packer in Ripon, WI

I have been working at ConAgra Foods full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The only good thing or way to make money is the overtime.

Cons

The pay is low compared to the work required. You work mostly 12 hour days with 2-10 minute breaks and 1 15 minute break. Leaning over the conveyor belts cause back strain.
    You are punished for missing work, even in emergencies.
    The workplace culture is behind the times as far as fairness in diversity is concerned.
    Trainers yell and scream at new comers, and the habit is to talk down to people of color.

Experience not good

Former Employee - Supply Chain in Omaha, NE
    Former Employee - Supply Chain in Omaha, NE

I worked at ConAgra Foods full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good pay. Good summer hours.

Cons

Terrible training and if you asked any body for help they acted like you were bothering them. They expected you to know everything in a short time with no training. Would not recommend working there.

Have some actual training. Some of the managers need to retire.

Company took wrong turn...

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Omaha, NE
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Omaha, NE

I worked at ConAgra Foods full-time

Pros

I found the pay to be above average and I was given a lot of latitude to chart my own course. I really enjoyed my colleagues too.

Cons

The acquisition of Ralcorp was and still is a disaster. ConAgra leadership did not do a good job of performing due diligence on what they were buying. The combined Company's performance underwhelmed (and continues to underwhelm); hence the need for a "reorganization". Unfortunately, those individuals who were directly responsible for this poor value acquisition are still running the show while many good individuals, who had nothing to do with the acquisition paid for management's mistake. When the CEO announced his impending "retirement", the stock shot UP nearly 50 cents that day. Need I say more?

New CEO needs to clean house of old style management when he/she arrives.

Very bad in Interview process and follow-up

I have been working at ConAgra Foods

Pros

Looks like the company has a variety of products and its canteen and cafe provide all these products for lunch and breakfast

Cons

Not organized at all; interviewees were treated light-heartedly

The budget is so big because it's full of secrets.

Former Employee - Consumer Affairs Specialist in Omaha, NE
    Former Employee - Consumer Affairs Specialist in Omaha, NE

I worked at ConAgra Foods full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Got to work from home, generally good benefits

Cons

Were consistently fed lies to relay to consumers we spoke with, even if we knew them to be untrue. This company truly lies so much about the products they make and the quality of the ingredients tat they must believe their own food. Management were basically talking heads for the upper management, and we never received results from suggestions or complaints as employees. All seemed to go to management and then die. Consumer affairs is a dumping ground for consumer complaints - the employees in the department listen, but no one listens to them after the complaint is filed, Managers all received special hours for the summer, were very difficult to reach at times. Home agents must keep hours until 6pm, even when all office employees are gone by 3pm. Christmas bonus from this multi-million dollar corporation was coupons for the food I was in charge of receiving complaints about. Thanks so much.

Leave this company or lose your soul

Management disconnected from the main hourly employees

Current Employee - Operator
    Current Employee - Operator

I have been working at ConAgra Foods full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Pay & Benefits. Hourly employees: ( some of the better people I have met).

Cons

Management is disconnected from the main hourly employees. Poor communication from management to employees creates difficult work environment. Management promotion is decided not by the most skilled/qualified person but by who can make themselves look the best even if they are not qualified for the position. Conflicting policies on how to do a task create a disorganized workplace.

Communicate with your hourly employees many of them have been their for many years and have tons of experience running their equipment. If the hourly employees were listened to it would substantially increase productivity and moral.

Very bad work experience at the Lincoln plant for 6 years.

Former Employee - General Labor in Lincoln, NE
    Former Employee - General Labor in Lincoln, NE

I worked at ConAgra Foods full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The pay was good. with good benifits

Cons

Poor supervisors and a very poorly ran plant.

If you want to keep a plant in operation, do not turn a well ran plant over to a rookie.