ConAgra Foods

Updated December 18, 2014
3.1

ConAgra Foods President, CEO, and Director Gary M. Rodkin
Gary M. Rodkin

Pros
  • Work life balance can be good depending on your manager (in 33 reviews)

• Excellent pay and benefits, and the company values are outstanding (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • No work life balance because of cutting positions to the bone (in 9 reviews)

• Upper Management need to create co-authorship with employee (in 12 reviews)

More Highlights

Operator Mechanic

Former Employee - Operator Mechanic in Council Bluffs, IA
    Former Employee - Operator Mechanic in Council Bluffs, IA

I worked at ConAgra Foods full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The only good thing about Conagra is that they work you so much that you have a lot of money because you never have time to spend it.

Cons

If you are in the military, this place is not for you. My supervisor & the workers used to give me grief all the time about having to have time off to attend drill. Management doesnt care about their employees. They are more concerned about themselves and are definitely willing to show favoritism to those employees who stay in line. They are sexist as well. They told me at one point that I need to stop working so hard because I make the guys look bad and they don't like that. It's by far the WORST place I have EVER worked at. Dont think you can go to HR for your problems either because they will just tell your supervisor or the person you complained about what you said. They dont care if that causes retaliation. Women in HR have been known to sleep with employees, mechanics, and union stewards so its also pointless to try to go to anyone else if you want a problem resolved. If you do work here, please just try to do it until you get something better. The money is really not worth the stress, trust me.

Stop treating your employees like slaves. They have families and other things in their life they have to attend to. If you treat your employees with respect, they will work harder for you. That is a proven fact according to any leadership and management course you take. Stop punishing people or making them feel bad for wanting to take a day off. Working 7 days a week all year round is not healthy. Perhaps if you address these issues, you might have a smaller turnover rate. Just a thought.

Average company

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at ConAgra Foods

Pros

Average company the usual vacation benefits and compensation. Nothing outstanding either way. People tend to be decent to work for and with.

Cons

Average company with average benefits salary compesation etc. nothing bad to really say about this company. People are decent and average.

None

A company in constant search for a direction

Former Employee - Key Account Manager in Buffalo, NY
    Former Employee - Key Account Manager in Buffalo, NY

I worked at ConAgra Foods full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Strong, well known brands in a relatively stable industry. Excellent pay and benefits.

Cons

Constant state of paranoia and CYA throughout the company leads to a great deal of time spent trying to "keep your job" instead of excelling at your job. Admin work is overwhelming and mostly internal reporting.

Let your employees make, sell and distribute products instead of micromanaging and beating them over the head with internal reports and non-value added work.

Needs better worker oversight

Former Employee - Line Worker in Fridley, MN
    Former Employee - Line Worker in Fridley, MN

I worked at ConAgra Foods as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Good pay for the area

Cons

Long hours, with mandatory overtime stretching for weeks at a time with no days off
    No direct on-floor supervision, resulting in worker carelessness and violations

On-floor supervision is vital, particularly when most of the workforce is temps who have no long-term investment in the company. Safety guidelines and health code standards are broken by careless employees, and the problems go unseen by management. Working stretches of seven days a week, with many mandatory twelve hour shifts on top of it, doesn't provide enough rest time for manual jobs to be conducted safely in the long term.

Good pay, but not worth it unless floor policies change. Worker longevity and satisfaction could EASILY be boosted tenfold with better management strategies and balanced scheduling practices.

ConAgra's evolution......

Current Employee - Director Finance in Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - Director Finance in Omaha, NE

I have been working at ConAgra Foods full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Never a dull moment as the Company changes and evolves. Plenty of opportunities to have an impact and show your worth. The culture today is hghly collaborative and imaginitive and continues to evolve as it integrates new acquisitions. Benefits are well rounded and the Company continues to fight to keep costs low for employees. My team is fantastic with highly engaged, trusting, collaborative and imaginative team that empowers all levels to maximize results and impact on the Company.

Cons

Talent management philosophies and execution are maturing, but range across the company - so are dynamic and progressive and some functions are antiquated. Recent restructuring has shrunk the corporate workforce which has resulted in negative press which is understandable but not an accurate picture.

Accelerate growth in talent management and accelerate efforts in simplification and execution.

Good internship program

Current Employee - IT Intern in Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - IT Intern in Omaha, NE

I have been working at ConAgra Foods as an intern (more than an year)

Pros

Great pay
    rotational style program allows for learning in many different areas of IT
    exposure to IT management

Cons

lack of work for interns at times, even when continuously seeking work.

Quality job, co-workers and management in general but stress can be high and job security somewhat low.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Grand Rapids, MI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Grand Rapids, MI

I worked at ConAgra Foods full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Lots of opportunities for learning new skills and personal growth. Pay is fair for the industry and benefits are good. I have had good relations with all levels of employees with almost no issues. Promotions are offered or given to those who have earned them. There is rarely an issue with how or when one takes vacation time. I get the impression that management at all levels cares about me.

Cons

Many employees are at a disadvantage for advancement or raises if they are not working out of the Omaha headquarters. I think this is because the corporate movers and shakers in Omaha will not know you and your contributions very well. Constant major changes in business procedures, computer software, and turnover in upper management can be very stressful. Depending upon your job, meetings and trainings can often take up to 50% of your work day making it necessary to put in longer hours to finish important actual bottom line work contributions.

Consider reducing the almost constant juggling of positions/responsibilities of your middle and upper management. I think this creates many "jack of all trades" with few masters. I also feel this is unfair to their quality of life. IDP and PMP expectations are very stressful and can take up much valuable work time. Consider eliminating them. After all, you will know if fiscal goals are being reached on time and people who want to "improve" themselves are free to do so. For the rest of us, what is wrong with simply doing a great job?

My experience at ConAgra Foods was excellent at my plant.

Former Employee - Human Resources Generalist in Grand Rapids, MI
    Former Employee - Human Resources Generalist in Grand Rapids, MI

I worked at ConAgra Foods full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Continuous Improvement and engagement of manufacturing personnel were a strong emphasis that I believed in. Quarterly review of my goals and career in 1 on 1's was essential and a program I stood by wholeheartedly. Continued investment in leaders, leaders in training, and development of employees got better during my 3+ years. Value of supporting Ending Child Hunger was evident, real, and a focus.

Cons

The company is focused on what it should be: earnings and growth. However, much is left on the table about investing in the plants, and then acquiring other companies to achieve hyper growth expectations laid out by the board and execs. When the overlap of capacity occurs, the investment in the plants can result in high performing plants closing, instead of closing lower performing plants, and move that production into a more effective plant further on it its engagement and cont' improvement.

All in all a good place to work

Former Employee - Machine Operator in Quincy, MI
    Former Employee - Machine Operator in Quincy, MI

I worked at ConAgra Foods full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The pay was very good

Cons

Its pretty cold in some areas, but not too bad if you bundle up

Listen to your employees a little more

Mostly good place to work

Former Employee - Systems and Network Administrator
    Former Employee - Systems and Network Administrator

I worked at ConAgra Foods full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

-Much variety of tasks
    -Many good hardworking coworkers, both in IT and the users
    -Good current technology
    -Usually not too much travel but sometimes could be

Cons

-Too much variety sometimes, not enough opportunity to specialize
    -IT Department/group rotations not available to all
    -Most people feel overworked
    -Ralcorp acquisition made things go downhill (or work to integrate was greatly underestimated). It was going really well ever since Rodkin became CEO, until this acquisition. Might turn out okay in long run but with Rodkin retiring, it is hard to tell what future holds.

Managers should get more management training. Clearer path to advancement for non managers should be developed.