ConAgra Foods

Updated January 28, 2015
3.1

ConAgra Foods President, CEO, and Director Gary M. Rodkin
Gary M. Rodkin

Pros
  • Work life balance can be good depending on your manager (in 33 reviews)

• Excellent pay and benefits, and the company values are outstanding (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • No work life balance because of cutting positions to the bone (in 9 reviews)

• Upper Management need to create co-authorship with employee (in 12 reviews)

More Highlights

Great place to work as long as you can keep your mouth shut and stay off managements radar.

Former Employee - Production Assistant/Maintenance Mechanic in Maple Grove, MN
    Former Employee - Production Assistant/Maintenance Mechanic in Maple Grove, MN

I worked at ConAgra Foods full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Production employees on the floor are some of the best I have ever worked with. Safety is a top priority driven by the production employees. Everyone is always looking out for you to make sure you are working safely. Veterans are always willing to take the time to teach you new things as long as you are willing to learn. Clean facility, requires constant attention over the course of your shift. For the most part everyone helps contribute to this goal. I've heard stories about the corporate world and how they don't care about their employees. I never got that feeling working there. I worked as a production assistant for 6 years and loved it. Then took a position in maintenance (Against my better judgement) and it all went downhill from there.

Cons

12 Hour shifts, some like it some don't. Seniority rules so you will eventually get put on night shift. They allow you to accumulate vacation time, but it is next to impossible to use it. If you are unfortunate to get on an improvement team then you usually have to come in on your day off for meetings. Over managed, the left hand of management doesn't know what the right hand is doing most of the time. It's hard to talk to your boss because they change structure weekly and you can't keep track of who you report to. There are opportunities for advancement as long as you are willing to take the position that management wants you to do. Even if you are qualified and there is an opening, the manager of that department has to like you in order to be considered.

For the most part management will leave you alone if you are doing your job. But watch your back because if they have to throw you to the wolves to cover their mistake they won't hesitate. I developed a severe distrust over the last couple of years because I was coerced into taking a promotion (Against my better judgement) by promising me things they couldn't deliver like training and school. And then being stuck in that position because I was told I wasn't qualified for any other position in the plant. When an employee tells you they don't feel safe in their current position take the time to listen and consider their situation. That is if you care whether or not the person stays or leaves. I was told "management doesn't care if I quit" I didn't want to believe that was true. But I found out on my last day all of my fellow production employees went out of their way to wish me luck. But, none of the managers bothered to even say goodbye to me. I didn't want to quit, but didn't have a choice and I can't say I didn't give you the opportunity to keep me there.

Love it

Current Employee - Finance in Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - Finance in Omaha, NE

I have been working at ConAgra Foods full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

People, Culture, Midwest company with aligned values, integrity

Cons

Food company - growth is hard to come by

Be good to your people

Overall great place to work!

Current Employee - Production Supervisor in Louisville, KY
    Current Employee - Production Supervisor in Louisville, KY

I have been working at ConAgra Foods full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good pay, OT for supervisors, total income 70k+.
    Not micro managed. Hours are great, flexibility if needed, and great benefits with low costs for salary folks. Obviously only option is 401k so No retirement or pension.

Cons

HR at plant level doesn't take care of hourly workers as they should. Union and management rarely agree causing a high amount of disgruntled employees. When issues are resolved then it's not communicated causing more stress for supervisors especially off shifts. Advancement is not a reality unless relocated.

Retail Sales Rep aka The Worst Entry Level Job Ever

Former Employee - Retail Sales Representative
    Former Employee - Retail Sales Representative

I worked at ConAgra Foods full-time (more than a year)

Pros

-Car
    -Gas Card
    -Good vacation package
    -Good Benefits

Cons

-Poor Training
    -Lack of instuitional leadership
    -Not very diverse
    -Poor Work Life Balance

Quality Specialist

Current Employee - Quality Specialist in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Quality Specialist in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at ConAgra Foods full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Decent pay, room for growth/development, great goal settings, encourages learning opportunities, good working environment, vacation time

Cons

Not consistent in process, too many meetings, benefits lacking, lack of communication

Keep it consistent and schedule less meetings

Daily Ops Lead

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at ConAgra Foods full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Good pay and decent benefits. Opportunity to advance within the company.

Cons

There are areas that are not completely clear whose responsible for.

Top level strategies need to be better communicated.

Not Bad

Current Employee - Production Supervisor in Hermiston, OR
    Current Employee - Production Supervisor in Hermiston, OR

I have been working at ConAgra Foods full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Good benefits, starting salary, and chance for upward advancement.

Cons

Shift work, too much expected

None

Big on safety.

Current Employee - General Labor in Boardman, OR
    Current Employee - General Labor in Boardman, OR

I have been working at ConAgra Foods full-time

Pros

I have that they provide all the necessary tools and equipment needed to be successful.

Cons

This would be the rotating shifts.

Keep doing what you are doing.

Good people, but poor results driven by bad strategies and ineffective senior leader

Former Employee - Mid-level Leader in Omaha, NE
    Former Employee - Mid-level Leader in Omaha, NE

I worked at ConAgra Foods full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Decent benefits and - for the most part - day to day working conditions. Talk about operating principles and ways we win, but senior leaders don't walk the talk.

Cons

Really nice people, but organization is driven by culture of "go along to get along" vs. driving for results. Results focused individuals don't have very long lives - they don't fit in. Those who don't "fit in" end up finding themselves marginalized and either out on their own or out with the next reorganization. Leaders promote "cliques" and don't mask indifference or disdain for others.

Look at who is leaving - and why. Exit surveys won't give you the answers.

Puppy Mill

Current Employee - Supply Chain in Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - Supply Chain in Omaha, NE

I have been working at ConAgra Foods full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good Pay, some good people. You will learn a lot.. good experience, resume builder. Good advancement opportunities if you know how to play the game.

Cons

Style over substance makes you move up. The organization is very slow moving and shows consistently poor results. Top Heavy organization.

The only saving grace is that a new CEO is coming in. Hope he/she prunes some dead wood, (people and brands). Slash SG&A by 30%. We are too top heavy and spend too much time aligning stakeholders and giving updates. Too much of a CYA environment. Be trusting of and trustworthy to your employees. Culture and Values are lived, not painted on a wall. Your employees do see the difference.