Conair

Updated Jul 8, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Ronald T. Diamond

Take the good with the bad

Marketing (Former Employee) Stamford, CT

ProsFree lunch, pretty location. There are some really nice people, but sometimes that is not enough.

ConsKeep your head down and work. There is no training.

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunicate, listen, and younger is not always better

I wouldn't recommend this company to my worst enemy!!!!

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Stamford, CT

Proslocal to here I live, free breakfast & lunch, profit sharing.....that's it!

ConsOLD thinking and way of working..The Owner of the company and almost everyone working for him has an OUTDATED way of working. They all work harder than smarter. Old furniture, computers, technology, building, mindset (I can go on an on). They are threaten by out of box thinkers, new/creative ideas. It's their OLD/OUTDATED way or the highway. Some (not all) people in UPPER management are bullies, it can be a very hostile environment to work in and HR can do nothing about it.

Advice to Senior ManagementBring the Company into the 21 Century, find out the REAL problems and solve them. Train people in basic Microsoft office (and any new software in the last 5 years), hold people accountable and reward new/creative idea and suggestions.

Customer Service Representative

Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) East Windsor, NJ

ProsGood benefits such as 401k, profit sharing, job is not that difficult with years of experience

ConsThe place is a complete joke. Abusive incompetent supervisors, management, bullying and feeling of entitlement by certain employees always takes precedent over a good work ethic, quick, efficient, problem solving and dedication. Management needs to learn to praise those who really deserve it and not fear those who are pushy and arrogant.
    My advice to anyone who has a good work ethic and sincerely cares and wants to be appreciated, avoid this place like the plague!

Advice to Senior ManagementOpen your eyes and grow some testicles for g-d's sake! The way things are run right now there is no incentive for any employee to do more than bare minimum. This place could be a great place if it weren't being run so blatantly backwards. Unfortunately I don't think this will ever happen. I wish The CEO would take a real interest in how things were run at locations other than in Stamford, CT and visit and take a closer look at their supervisors and managers at his other locations...

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

OK, just kind of boring

Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) East Windsor, NJ

ProsAnnual raises, flexible, good cafeteria, company store, co-workers, ample parking, convenient location, free coffee and tea. Overall it's not a bad environment. Great to gain experience.

ConsNo windows basically anywhere so it has a bit of a "prison" feel, low base salary, "down" periods that get boring, work can get tedious, many older employees (only a handful of young people)

Advice to Senior ManagementHave an elevator installed for handicapped employees, reward exemplary performance more

Temporary Forever

Temp (Former Employee) Glendale, AZ

ProsGood people, $0.25/hr pay raise every quarter, good benefits. Christmas bonus. They will get you forklift certified if you work hard.

ConsThey only hire from a temporary pool of Apple One employees. Don't work 2nd shift if you want to get hired on, because they will give your openings to 1st shift temps.

Advice to Senior ManagementGood management, nothing really to say.

Ever seen the movie Brazil? I feel like I'm stuck in a surreal Kafka story.

Creative (Current Employee) Stamford, CT

Prosfree breakfast and lunch
    decent medical, dental and vision
    9 to 5 hours
    semi casual environment for the Creative dept.

ConsNot encouraged to think outside the box
    Not respected for your knowledge or skills...they are more interested in sheep who fall in line and do what they are told. Promotions are based on tenure and social relationships not ability or knowledge.
    Not interested in your opinions or suggestions
    Slow to change. Slow to install new processes, better technology, etc.
    Office is run like a 1950's factory. Just go to your desk and do your job.
    Poor workflow and little to no actual process for graphic arts production. Everyday is flying by the seat of your pants.
    Social cliques are very prevalent and I would even argue there are elements of a hostile work environment. One Art Director was fired for trumped up reasons because she didn't "fit in" in her group.
    Management is very inadequate. ALL of the Creative managers are lacking experience and/ or training on how to ACTUALLY manage.
    Poor understanding, education and skills for many employees yet they get promoted anyway. Like I said, just go to your desk and do your job...don't rock the boat...and you get promoted if you stay long enough.
    Family operated. Some of them actually work hard. Some don't show up at all.
    Decisions are based on what people think will please their superiors (especially the owner and his sons) not on any kind of actual market data, tested methods, or higher education. Employees lie to get a job completed early to make themselves look better.

You can't go against the family. Even....no ESPECIALLY when they are flat out wrong. You're expected to just do it with a smile. Long live the King!

In short, ALL the bad things you think of when you hear the word "corporation" come to mind.

Advice to Senior ManagementI get it. Your company makes household products...you are not an advertising agency. However if your going to bring your graphic arts production in house (to save money) you should learn how the industry works, hire quality managers and quality staff and do it right! The great irony is that you brought graphic art production in house to save money but from what I've seen you waste money in THAT department every day through lack of a process, poor management and employees with inadequate training and skills.

Great friendships does not make a great job

ProsYou work with some excellent people and forge many friendships that is very unique for a company.
    Get the right boss/coworkers, you can learn a lot because there isn't protocol for everything you do, great to dip your toes into a career.
    Entrepreneurial atmosphere allowing you to do more than your title states.
    9-5 company with good health benefits.

ConsSalary leaves much to be desired and very difficult to get it to increase over time.
    There isn't a lot of structure to the company: you don't know if you'll get promoted next year or in the next 6 years.
    Depending on the division one works in, this company is not a meritocracy by any means.
    Work/life balance, depending on position, is not good.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed more structure. Reward based on hard work (verbally and in salary). Communication within departments and between divisions is not good, should be more collaborative.

Disorganized

Production (Former Employee) Stamford, CT

ProsFree lunch of everything you can imagine: Pizzas, Huge Salad Bar, Custom Sandwiches, Free Shuttle from the Stamford Station, 9-5 with no overtime required, Pleasant social culture (to your face). General attitude is calm with occasional problems.

ConsStrange corporate structure, and very disorganized in approach. Employees will do anything to cover their own mistakes, including lie. No vertical movement or salary advancement even when changing positions, or after years of dedication. Fitting into their daily grind is very important, they want sheep.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your employees with more respect-- pay attention to them as PEOPLE.

Under utilized, under paid

Finance (Current Employee) Stamford, CT

ProsFree breakfast and lunch. Job security. Great people to work with

ConsPay is very low for entry level employees. No upward mobility. Not a great place to learn for younger employees

Advice to Senior ManagementBring pay standards up to industry average. Develop better training for employees.

challenging

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Seattle, WA

Prosit provides much room for flexibility

Constoo many layers in management

Worked for Conair? Contribute to the Community!