Conair Reviews

Updated September 8, 2014
Updated September 8, 2014
2.7

Ronald T. Diamond

I love designing and the people plus environment make it a pleasure to come to work every day.

Current Employee - Lead Designer  in  El Segundo, CA
    Current Employee - Lead Designer in El Segundo, CA

I have been working at Conair full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

design environment is open and you are not limited in your creativity

Cons

very corporate atmosphere and not many areas to be promoted within the company because upper management doesn't leave or promote many people.

learn to promote better from within and keep employees longer

Great experience

Former Employee - Creative  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Creative in New York, NY

I worked at Conair as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Learn a lot on the job

Cons

Can get tedious at times

Take the good with the bad

Former Employee - Marketing  in  Stamford, CT
    Former Employee - Marketing in Stamford, CT

I worked at Conair full-time for more than a year

Pros

Free lunch, pretty location. There are some really nice people, but sometimes that is not enough.

Cons

Keep your head down and work. There is no training.

Communicate, listen, and younger is not always better

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

I wouldn't recommend this company to my worst enemy!!!!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Stamford, CT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Stamford, CT

I have been working at Conair full-time for less than a year

Pros

local to here I live, free breakfast & lunch, profit sharing.....that's it!

Cons

OLD thinking and way of working..The Owner of the company and almost everyone working for him has an OUTDATED way of working. They all work harder than smarter. Old furniture, computers, technology, building, mindset (I can go on an on). They are threaten by out of box thinkers, new/creative ideas. It's their OLD/OUTDATED way or the highway. Some (not all) people in UPPER management are bullies, it can be a very hostile environment to work in and HR can do nothing about it.

Bring the Company into the 21 Century, find out the REAL problems and solve them. Train people in basic Microsoft office (and any new software in the last 5 years), hold people accountable and reward new/creative idea and suggestions.

Customer Service Representative

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative  in  East Windsor, NJ
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in East Windsor, NJ

I have been working at Conair full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Good benefits such as 401k, profit sharing, job is not that difficult with years of experience

Cons

The place is a complete joke. Abusive incompetent supervisors, management, bullying and feeling of entitlement by certain employees always takes precedent over a good work ethic, quick, efficient, problem solving and dedication. Management needs to learn to praise those who really deserve it and not fear those who are pushy and arrogant.
    My advice to anyone who has a good work ethic and sincerely cares and wants to be appreciated, avoid this place like the plague!

Open your eyes and grow some testicles for g-d's sake! The way things are run right now there is no incentive for any employee to do more than bare minimum. This place could be a great place if it weren't being run so blatantly backwards. Unfortunately I don't think this will ever happen. I wish The CEO would take a real interest in how things were run at locations other than in Stamford, CT and visit and take a closer look at their supervisors and managers at his other locations...

OK, just kind of boring

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant  in  East Windsor, NJ
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in East Windsor, NJ

I have been working at Conair full-time

Pros

Annual raises, flexible, good cafeteria, company store, co-workers, ample parking, convenient location, free coffee and tea. Overall it's not a bad environment. Great to gain experience.

Cons

No windows basically anywhere so it has a bit of a "prison" feel, low base salary, "down" periods that get boring, work can get tedious, many older employees (only a handful of young people)

Have an elevator installed for handicapped employees, reward exemplary performance more

Temporary Forever

Former Employee - Temp  in  Glendale, AZ
    Former Employee - Temp in Glendale, AZ

I worked at Conair part-time for less than a year

Pros

Good people, $0.25/hr pay raise every quarter, good benefits. Christmas bonus. They will get you forklift certified if you work hard.

Cons

They only hire from a temporary pool of Apple One employees. Don't work 2nd shift if you want to get hired on, because they will give your openings to 1st shift temps.

Good management, nothing really to say.

Great friendships does not make a great job

I have been working at Conair

Pros

You work with some excellent people and forge many friendships that is very unique for a company.
    Get the right boss/coworkers, you can learn a lot because there isn't protocol for everything you do, great to dip your toes into a career.
    Entrepreneurial atmosphere allowing you to do more than your title states.
    9-5 company with good health benefits.

Cons

Salary leaves much to be desired and very difficult to get it to increase over time.
    There isn't a lot of structure to the company: you don't know if you'll get promoted next year or in the next 6 years.
    Depending on the division one works in, this company is not a meritocracy by any means.
    Work/life balance, depending on position, is not good.

Need more structure. Reward based on hard work (verbally and in salary). Communication within departments and between divisions is not good, should be more collaborative.

Ever seen the movie Brazil? I feel like I'm stuck in a surreal Kafka story.

Current Employee - Creative  in  Stamford, CT
    Current Employee - Creative in Stamford, CT

I have been working at Conair full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

free breakfast and lunch
    decent medical, dental and vision
    9 to 5 hours
    semi casual environment for the Creative dept.

Cons

Not encouraged to think outside the box
    Not respected for your knowledge or skills...they are more interested in sheep who fall in line and do what they are told. Promotions are based on tenure and social relationships not ability or knowledge.
    Not interested in your opinions or suggestions
    Slow to change. Slow to install new processes, better technology, etc.
    Office is run like a 1950's factory. Just go to your desk and do your job.
    Poor workflow and little to no actual process for graphic arts production. Everyday is flying by the seat of your pants.
    Social cliques are very prevalent and I would even argue there are elements of a hostile work environment. One Art Director was fired for trumped up reasons because she didn't "fit in" in her group.
    Management is very inadequate. ALL of the Creative managers are lacking experience and/ or training on how to ACTUALLY manage.
    Poor understanding, education and skills for many employees yet they get promoted anyway. Like I said, just go to your desk and do your job...don't rock the boat...and you get promoted if you stay long enough.
    Family operated. Some of them actually work hard. Some don't show up at all.
    Decisions are based on what people think will please their superiors (especially the owner and his sons) not on any kind of actual market data, tested methods, or higher education. Employees lie to get a job completed early to make themselves look better.

You can't go against the family. Even....no ESPECIALLY when they are flat out wrong. You're expected to just do it with a smile. Long live the King!

In short, ALL the bad things you think of when you hear the word "corporation" come to mind.

I get it. Your company makes household products...you are not an advertising agency. However if your going to bring your graphic arts production in house (to save money) you should learn how the industry works, hire quality managers and quality staff and do it right! The great irony is that you brought graphic art production in house to save money but from what I've seen you waste money in THAT department every day through lack of a process, poor management and employees with inadequate training and skills.

Disorganized

Former Employee - Production  in  Stamford, CT
    Former Employee - Production in Stamford, CT

I worked at Conair full-time for more than a year

Pros

Free lunch of everything you can imagine: Pizzas, Huge Salad Bar, Custom Sandwiches, Free Shuttle from the Stamford Station, 9-5 with no overtime required, Pleasant social culture (to your face). General attitude is calm with occasional problems.

Cons

Strange corporate structure, and very disorganized in approach. Employees will do anything to cover their own mistakes, including lie. No vertical movement or salary advancement even when changing positions, or after years of dedication. Fitting into their daily grind is very important, they want sheep.

Treat your employees with more respect-- pay attention to them as PEOPLE.

Worked for Conair? Contribute to the Community!