Concho

Updated September 23, 2014
4.1

Concho Chairman and CEO Timothy A. Leach
Timothy A. Leach

Step up to the big time...

I have been working at Concho full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Here at Concho, you are more than a name and a number to someone back at a corporate office, you are a real person. You are in the center of the action, and you have interactions with all levels of individuals. The benefits are tremendous, and this is a friendly place to work. If you are ready for a challenge, this place is for you. Everyone is busy, and we work hard. The commutes to anmd from work are minimal, i go 6 mionutes each way.

Cons

If you aren't prepared to work hard, this is not the place for you. Some people won't like the small town feel, and living and working in a small town isn't for everyone. I am enjoying the quality of life, the shorter commutes, and being able to raise my son in a small town.

They seem to be doing things right, I have nothing to add.

Great people and benefits, poor personal development

I worked at Concho full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Concho is a very snazzy company by appearance. Fabulous benefits, state of the art facilities and great co-workers.

Cons

Concho is a dangerously lean company and has departments/managers that have lost sight of what it means to have a good work/life balance. They lack clear career growth/development plans and often have inconsistent hiring practices. Management also has a tendency to point fingers rather than leading by example.

Give your employees a career plan and they will stay. Benefits don't mean much when you don't have a rewarding long-term career.

Excellent Benefits & Challenging Pace

I have been working at Concho full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Hands down, the best thing about Concho is the benefits package. The company pays 100% of my health benefit premiums and offers a private clinic for my family. The compensation packages are very competitive for the industry.

They invest time & money into us as employees through company sponsored events. Concho continues to ask us for feedback on new buildings, what perks we would like to see in place, etc. Up until this point, they have maintained an open environment allowing us to express our concerns and ideas to upper management.

I enjoy the people I work with on a daily basis and am proud to be with a company who in many ways is a leading force in the industry.

Cons

My two biggest concerns are our pace & lack of career paths. We go at a grueling pace with minimal staff. This is challenging and we reap the rewards. At the same time, the trade off is being prone to burn out. We also don't have clearly defined career paths in the company, meaning that the lines between responsibilities gets blurred. For example, I don't know how to go from Tech 1 to Tech 2 level. I've tripled my work load and still received the same evaluation of "meets expectations".

Continue to improve the perks and invest in your employees. Work with departments, not just supervisors, to identify staffing needs. While it is a insurmountable task, figure out a way to give us clear goals and career opportunities to move up in the company.

Enjoy everything About Concho

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Midland, TX

I have been working at Concho full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great place to work, plenty of growth within the company, Awesome people through out, family oriented, Top notch benefits, Corporation cares about their employees and concho is community involved. Always striving to be better and bigger.

Cons

Knowing who everyone is since it is such a large corporation.

Keep doing what your doing!

Among the best in the business.

Current Employee - Lead/Advisor in Midland, TX
    Current Employee - Lead/Advisor in Midland, TX

I have been working at Concho full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

A hardworking and caring company, always looking for success in the industry and for the employees. Starts at the top.exemplified by its leader Tim Leach. Always striving to do things right, and to do the right thing in all areas of the business. Moves by senior management have grown the company tremendously in its relatively short life, and literally the sky is the limit for Concho. Employee benefits from short and long term incentives to work environment and planned company campus (including workout, cafeteria and child care facilities!) are unsurpassed in the industry or the country. Can't think of a better place to work, now or in the past.

Cons

There is a lot of work to do and alot of individual responsibility, which some people may find daunting. Large age gap,30 years or more, between experienced personnel and new hires, and younger employees need to get up to speed faster if they are to take over the business when the experience retires in the next few years.

The negative reviews on this sight are obviously "sour grapes" comments, apparently disgruntled es-employees that will be disgruntled no matter where they work. Working at Concho is a blessing some do not realize.Tune all that out, keep up the good work, and continue to look for and retain the right people! This would be my advice to anyone reading the comments on this site.

Best Company I Have Ever Worked For

I have been working at Concho full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Growth opportunities, compensation, paid benefits, amenities (future and those in the works with the new plans), wonderful people to work with, challenging work. The employer of choice in Midland!

Cons

Very fast paced at times but I love working hard and love what I do.

Keep growing and doing what you are doing. This is a wonderful company and a great place to work!

Best company I have ever worked for!

Current Employee - Executive Administrative Assistant in Midland, TX
    Current Employee - Executive Administrative Assistant in Midland, TX

I have been working at Concho full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Concho has incredible benefits. Few companies offer FULLY PAID health insurance premiums for the employee AND their dependents, a medical clinic just for employees and dependents, and highly competitive salaries, as well as long term incentives such as stock awards.

Management truly cares about us. Is it perfect? No. But they are the best about trying to accommodate employees' needs. Tim Leach and the rest of the upper management staff are truly the nicest people you would want to know.

We have numerous activities for fun. Carnivals and "Meet Santa" for the kids. Golf tournaments for the adults.

I have worked here almost 9 years and have seen it grow exponentially. I can't imagine working anywhere else or with a better bunch of folks.

Cons

With growth comes growing pains. Midland is suffering from a lack of qualified people to fill highly technical positions. Our cost of living is high and it is difficult to entice candidates even with higher salaries. So we are spread a little thin and we work hard. It does not go unappreciated, however.

I don't think Concho is for everyone. If you are afraid of hard work and the expectation of creative problem solving, then Concho is not the place for you.

Keeping open to new ideas and listening to problems as they arise...In other words, keep doing what you are doing.

Wonderful company with lots of potential

Current Employee - Supervisor in Midland, TX
    Current Employee - Supervisor in Midland, TX

I have been working at Concho full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent Sr. Management Team, fantastic pay and benefits, friendly and positive corporate culture, steep growth in assets and value.

Cons

Not for those who want to work an 8 hour day and collect their pay without thinking much, working much, or contributing much. Bad place to work for negative, grumpy, selfish people.

Sr. Management is excellent. The next level down could use some management training, and some confidence building exercises. However, keep up the positive culture.

People oriented company with lofty goals for growth

I have been working at Concho full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Concho is a family environment with people who care about and take care of each other. Tim strives to provide a quality life not only for employees, but for their families and the community as well. The company provides one of the best benefit packages in town or in the industry for that matter.

Cons

Unreasonable expectations to complete task at times, especially during larger acquisitions. Management decisions are made by a few at the very top.

Trust your managers and allow them to make decisions. Consider alternate work environments to fill staffing shortages, like remote access from other cities.

Great Company!

I have been working at Concho full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent benefits, fast growing, young company with lots of young people, great compensation, everyone gets restricted stock, fast moving, cutting edge. What's not to like? Don't be swayed by these sour grapes ex-employee reviews. This is a great place to work and I've been in the oil business for over 35 years. Best employer yet!

Cons

Stock takes 3 years to vest.

Keep up the good work! We are proud to work here.