Concho

Concho Chairman and CEO Timothy A. Leach

Timothy A. Leach

Excellent Benefits & Challenging Pace

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Midland, TX

ProsHands down, the best thing about Concho is the benefits package. The company pays 100% of my health benefit premiums and offers a private clinic for my family. The compensation packages are very competitive for the industry.

They invest time & money into us as employees through company sponsored events. Concho continues to ask us for feedback on new buildings, what perks we would like to see in place, etc. Up until this point, they have maintained an open environment allowing us to express our concerns and ideas to upper management.

I enjoy the people I work with on a daily basis and am proud to be with a company who in many ways is a leading force in the industry.

ConsMy two biggest concerns are our pace & lack of career paths. We go at a grueling pace with minimal staff. This is challenging and we reap the rewards. At the same time, the trade off is being prone to burn out. We also don't have clearly defined career paths in the company, meaning that the lines between responsibilities gets blurred. For example, I don't know how to go from Tech 1 to Tech 2 level. I've tripled my work load and still received the same evaluation of "meets expectations".

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to improve the perks and invest in your employees. Work with departments, not just supervisors, to identify staffing needs. While it is a insurmountable task, figure out a way to give us clear goals and career opportunities to move up in the company.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Enjoy everything About Concho

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Midland, TX

ProsGreat place to work, plenty of growth within the company, Awesome people through out, family oriented, Top notch benefits, Corporation cares about their employees and concho is community involved. Always striving to be better and bigger.

ConsKnowing who everyone is since it is such a large corporation.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what your doing!

Among the best in the business.

Lead/Advisor (Current Employee) Midland, TX

ProsA hardworking and caring company, always looking for success in the industry and for the employees. Starts at the top.exemplified by its leader Tim Leach. Always striving to do things right, and to do the right thing in all areas of the business. Moves by senior management have grown the company tremendously in its relatively short life, and literally the sky is the limit for Concho. Employee benefits from short and long term incentives to work environment and planned company campus (including workout, cafeteria and child care facilities!) are unsurpassed in the industry or the country. Can't think of a better place to work, now or in the past.

ConsThere is a lot of work to do and alot of individual responsibility, which some people may find daunting. Large age gap,30 years or more, between experienced personnel and new hires, and younger employees need to get up to speed faster if they are to take over the business when the experience retires in the next few years.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe negative reviews on this sight are obviously "sour grapes" comments, apparently disgruntled es-employees that will be disgruntled no matter where they work. Working at Concho is a blessing some do not realize.Tune all that out, keep up the good work, and continue to look for and retain the right people! This would be my advice to anyone reading the comments on this site.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Best Company I Have Ever Worked For

ProsGrowth opportunities, compensation, paid benefits, amenities (future and those in the works with the new plans), wonderful people to work with, challenging work. The employer of choice in Midland!

ConsVery fast paced at times but I love working hard and love what I do.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep growing and doing what you are doing. This is a wonderful company and a great place to work!

Best company I have ever worked for!

Executive Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) Midland, TX

ProsConcho has incredible benefits. Few companies offer FULLY PAID health insurance premiums for the employee AND their dependents, a medical clinic just for employees and dependents, and highly competitive salaries, as well as long term incentives such as stock awards.

Management truly cares about us. Is it perfect? No. But they are the best about trying to accommodate employees' needs. Tim Leach and the rest of the upper management staff are truly the nicest people you would want to know.

We have numerous activities for fun. Carnivals and "Meet Santa" for the kids. Golf tournaments for the adults.

I have worked here almost 9 years and have seen it grow exponentially. I can't imagine working anywhere else or with a better bunch of folks.

ConsWith growth comes growing pains. Midland is suffering from a lack of qualified people to fill highly technical positions. Our cost of living is high and it is difficult to entice candidates even with higher salaries. So we are spread a little thin and we work hard. It does not go unappreciated, however.

I don't think Concho is for everyone. If you are afraid of hard work and the expectation of creative problem solving, then Concho is not the place for you.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeeping open to new ideas and listening to problems as they arise...In other words, keep doing what you are doing.

Wonderful company with lots of potential

Supervisor (Current Employee) Midland, TX

ProsExcellent Sr. Management Team, fantastic pay and benefits, friendly and positive corporate culture, steep growth in assets and value.

ConsNot for those who want to work an 8 hour day and collect their pay without thinking much, working much, or contributing much. Bad place to work for negative, grumpy, selfish people.

Advice to Senior ManagementSr. Management is excellent. The next level down could use some management training, and some confidence building exercises. However, keep up the positive culture.

People oriented company with lofty goals for growth

ProsConcho is a family environment with people who care about and take care of each other. Tim strives to provide a quality life not only for employees, but for their families and the community as well. The company provides one of the best benefit packages in town or in the industry for that matter.

ConsUnreasonable expectations to complete task at times, especially during larger acquisitions. Management decisions are made by a few at the very top.

Advice to Senior ManagementTrust your managers and allow them to make decisions. Consider alternate work environments to fill staffing shortages, like remote access from other cities.

Great Company!

ProsExcellent benefits, fast growing, young company with lots of young people, great compensation, everyone gets restricted stock, fast moving, cutting edge. What's not to like? Don't be swayed by these sour grapes ex-employee reviews. This is a great place to work and I've been in the oil business for over 35 years. Best employer yet!

ConsStock takes 3 years to vest.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work! We are proud to work here.

Company excels with the best benefits and working environment for it's employees

Supervisor (Current Employee) Midland, TX

ProsAmazing benefits - Medical & Dental paid 100% for family and their dependents. HSA, 401K, Stock Incentives, Clinic and much more. Two new office buildings with more being added to the Concho Complex, including a Nursey!

ConsNeed to hire more well qualified people - due to the continured growth in the company in Texas and New Mexico offices and field operatiions as well. Always need more of them.

Advice to Senior ManagementHope they'll be able to hire some "Wonded Warriors" returning from the Miltary!

A great working environment!

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Midland, TX

ProsAfter working in city government for 22 years, I can tell you there is no comparison in how employees are treated or valued. Concho has excellent benefits and the employee incentives have far exceeded my expectations. The company shows true value in it's employees and I see it everyday. I feel that there is a lot room for growth and Concho is very proactive in offering all kinds training opportunities to our employees.

ConsMidland's low unemployment rate, shortage of affordable housing, and the high cost of living here conitnues to make the recruitment of highly qualified employees outside of the Permian Basin very difficult for everyone.

Advice to Senior ManagementIn order to recruit highly qualified professionals outside of Midland, we might consider a free 6 months apartment lease or some other type of moving incentive to get new employees to come to Midland.

Worked for Concho? Contribute to the Community!