Concho

Timothy A. Leach

Fantastic work enviornment

Former Intern - Intern in Midland, TX
    Former Intern - Intern in Midland, TX

I worked at Concho as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

If you are ready to be a part of a close working team Concho is the place for you. Interns are given challenging but extremely rewarding summer projects. Concho has a small company feel but they are a big time player in the oil and gas world.

Cons

Although not a big deal to some, Concho's headquarters is in Midland so you have to be ready for the small city life.

Keep up the good work

Great people and benefits, poor personal development

I worked at Concho full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Concho is a very snazzy company by appearance. Fabulous benefits, state of the art facilities and great co-workers.

Cons

Concho is a dangerously lean company and has departments/managers that have lost sight of what it means to have a good work/life balance. They lack clear career growth/development plans and often have inconsistent hiring practices. Management also has a tendency to point fingers rather than leading by example.

Give your employees a career plan and they will stay. Benefits don't mean much when you don't have a rewarding long-term career.

Step up to the big time...

I have been working at Concho full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Here at Concho, you are more than a name and a number to someone back at a corporate office, you are a real person. You are in the center of the action, and you have interactions with all levels of individuals. The benefits are tremendous, and this is a friendly place to work. If you are ready for a challenge, this place is for you. Everyone is busy, and we work hard. The commutes to anmd from work are minimal, i go 6 mionutes each way.

Cons

If you aren't prepared to work hard, this is not the place for you. Some people won't like the small town feel, and living and working in a small town isn't for everyone. I am enjoying the quality of life, the shorter commutes, and being able to raise my son in a small town.

They seem to be doing things right, I have nothing to add.

Great company with a lot of growth and potential

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Midland, TX

I have been working at Concho full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Concho focuses on people. It encourages professional growth and taking ownership. People are really easy to work with. Company continues on its fast growth path. very proud of being part of success. Leadership has set a vision to take us to next era.

Cons

Fast paced and lean organization. but leadership cares about the people, life and community

Great vision and growth. It will be a few good years ahead of us.

Excellent Benefits & Challenging Pace

I have been working at Concho full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Hands down, the best thing about Concho is the benefits package. The company pays 100% of my health benefit premiums and offers a private clinic for my family. The compensation packages are very competitive for the industry.

They invest time & money into us as employees through company sponsored events. Concho continues to ask us for feedback on new buildings, what perks we would like to see in place, etc. Up until this point, they have maintained an open environment allowing us to express our concerns and ideas to upper management.

I enjoy the people I work with on a daily basis and am proud to be with a company who in many ways is a leading force in the industry.

Cons

My two biggest concerns are our pace & lack of career paths. We go at a grueling pace with minimal staff. This is challenging and we reap the rewards. At the same time, the trade off is being prone to burn out. We also don't have clearly defined career paths in the company, meaning that the lines between responsibilities gets blurred. For example, I don't know how to go from Tech 1 to Tech 2 level. I've tripled my work load and still received the same evaluation of "meets expectations".

Continue to improve the perks and invest in your employees. Work with departments, not just supervisors, to identify staffing needs. While it is a insurmountable task, figure out a way to give us clear goals and career opportunities to move up in the company.

It's good for now, but nothing to move for.

Current Employee - Reservoir Engineer in Midland, TX
    Current Employee - Reservoir Engineer in Midland, TX

I have been working at Concho full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Concho resources emphasizes family values and rewards hard work. This company is going to continue to grow as long as the economic conditions are favorable. Training for new hires is exceptional, although grueling. Experienced hires can expect to earn a competitive salary with great benefits. This company runs a lean ship and needs people to take on some of the workload.
    Healthcare is paid for in full for employees and their benefits. They have a great restricted stock and bonus structure that rewards us for our hard work.
    Senior management truly cares about the employees and the business. Concho is the most well managed pure play in the Permian.

Cons

The Permian Basin culture is not for everyone. If you value working in a diverse and tolerant environment then I recommend working somewhere else. Concho, as well as Midland, is as homogenous as it gets.
    Turnover is starting to become a problem because too many people are getting burned out.
    Senior management has the overwhelming majority of stratigic input while middle management and the rest are mostly there to execute.
    Concho as well as Midland will not survive a long term decline in the price of oil. This has been the historical trend of the Permian Basin.

Keep doing what you are doing.

Enjoy everything About Concho

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Midland, TX

I have been working at Concho full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Great place to work, plenty of growth within the company, Awesome people through out, family oriented, Top notch benefits, Corporation cares about their employees and concho is community involved. Always striving to be better and bigger.

Cons

Knowing who everyone is since it is such a large corporation.

Keep doing what your doing!

Best company I have ever worked for!

Current Employee - Executive Administrative Assistant in Midland, TX
    Current Employee - Executive Administrative Assistant in Midland, TX

I have been working at Concho full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Concho has incredible benefits. Few companies offer FULLY PAID health insurance premiums for the employee AND their dependents, a medical clinic just for employees and dependents, and highly competitive salaries, as well as long term incentives such as stock awards.

Management truly cares about us. Is it perfect? No. But they are the best about trying to accommodate employees' needs. Tim Leach and the rest of the upper management staff are truly the nicest people you would want to know.

We have numerous activities for fun. Carnivals and "Meet Santa" for the kids. Golf tournaments for the adults.

I have worked here almost 9 years and have seen it grow exponentially. I can't imagine working anywhere else or with a better bunch of folks.

Cons

With growth comes growing pains. Midland is suffering from a lack of qualified people to fill highly technical positions. Our cost of living is high and it is difficult to entice candidates even with higher salaries. So we are spread a little thin and we work hard. It does not go unappreciated, however.

I don't think Concho is for everyone. If you are afraid of hard work and the expectation of creative problem solving, then Concho is not the place for you.

Keeping open to new ideas and listening to problems as they arise...In other words, keep doing what you are doing.

Among the best in the business.

Current Employee - Lead/Advisor in Midland, TX
    Current Employee - Lead/Advisor in Midland, TX

I have been working at Concho full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

A hardworking and caring company, always looking for success in the industry and for the employees. Starts at the top.exemplified by its leader Tim Leach. Always striving to do things right, and to do the right thing in all areas of the business. Moves by senior management have grown the company tremendously in its relatively short life, and literally the sky is the limit for Concho. Employee benefits from short and long term incentives to work environment and planned company campus (including workout, cafeteria and child care facilities!) are unsurpassed in the industry or the country. Can't think of a better place to work, now or in the past.

Cons

There is a lot of work to do and alot of individual responsibility, which some people may find daunting. Large age gap,30 years or more, between experienced personnel and new hires, and younger employees need to get up to speed faster if they are to take over the business when the experience retires in the next few years.

The negative reviews on this sight are obviously "sour grapes" comments, apparently disgruntled es-employees that will be disgruntled no matter where they work. Working at Concho is a blessing some do not realize.Tune all that out, keep up the good work, and continue to look for and retain the right people! This would be my advice to anyone reading the comments on this site.

Best Company I Have Ever Worked For

I have been working at Concho full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Growth opportunities, compensation, paid benefits, amenities (future and those in the works with the new plans), wonderful people to work with, challenging work. The employer of choice in Midland!

Cons

Very fast paced at times but I love working hard and love what I do.

Keep growing and doing what you are doing. This is a wonderful company and a great place to work!