Concordia University Chicago

Updated February 16, 2015
Updated February 16, 2015
3.5

CEO

Great benefits, limited growth opportunities

Current Employee - Marketing
    Current Employee - Marketing

I have been working at Concordia University Chicago full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great medical benefits. Very flexible work environment. Work and personal life are easy to separate. Great tuition benefits.

Cons

If you're not LCMS, then it's hard to fit in the work culture. Religion is front and center in a lot of things. Very limited growth opportunities. High level leadership been there so long. They're very much set in their old ways.

Very caring community with hard working individuals.

Current Employee - Staff Member in River Forest, IL
    Current Employee - Staff Member in River Forest, IL

I have been working at Concordia University Chicago full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The aspects of Community and commitment others show to their jobs. Helping students fulfill their educational goals i very rewarding.

Cons

Small private school without much financial backing. Most staffed positions are modest pay.

Communication is key!

People are working here to help others, not for the money

Current Employee - Staff in River Forest, IL
    Current Employee - Staff in River Forest, IL

I have been working at Concordia University Chicago full-time (more than a year)

Pros

- Small school community, everyone wants to support each other
    - Very genuine staff
    - Lack of money forces people to get creative ... VERY creative
    - 80% off school for staff/faculty

Cons

- High rate of non-returning students
    - At times, leadership can seem narrow minded
    - Some staff members are not good at their job and MANY students/ parents depend on them to be good at it.

Small place with a global reach!

Current Employee - Faculty in River Forest, IL
    Current Employee - Faculty in River Forest, IL

Pros

This place has a unique culture: faculty and staff really go an extra mile to serve the students. The administrators are supportive of innovation and care about the quality of the programs. People are just wonderful and many senior faculty are excellent role models. The place strives to re-define the face of Liberal Arts and Lutheran education to meet the needs of the 21st century by attracting diverse faculty and students from around the world.

Cons

The salaries are lower than in other comparable schools. Sometimes there could be better communication and collaboration between the departments.

Encourage more transparency and create opportunity for growth

Nice people to work with and great students to work for.

I have been working at Concordia University Chicago full-time

Pros

Very family friendly place to work for. Life to work ratio is highly in favor of life outside of the workplace. Great healthcare benefits. Very friendly people to work with university-wide.

Cons

Little to no room for promotions and average-below average pay.

Pay attention to employees that have been working here for some time and "know the ropes" rather than looking for outside help. Promotions motivate employees and there are none here.

Low pay, terrible morale.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in River Forest, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in River Forest, IL

I worked at Concordia University Chicago full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The best part of this job was the coworkers I had. Everyone was outstanding, did their job well, and took pride in what they did. We all worked together well, and truly enjoyed each others company.

Cons

Management, aside from the extreme low pay, is terrible. Management is disrespectful to their employees, manipulative in their behavior, and ignorant of their employees day to day activities and duties. The management continually over steps boundaries, are bullies, and do not give credit when credit is due. They never support their staff and publicly blame them, which creates negative tension and terrible morale within the workplace.

Well worth the Experience

Current Employee - Student Worker in River Forest, IL
    Current Employee - Student Worker in River Forest, IL

I have been working at Concordia University Chicago part-time (more than a year)

Pros

CUC is an open environment, as long as you know the processes to follow. They like new ideas and procedures, and work to integrate efficiency into normal work. The people are generally friendly and easy to get along with. Management understands scheduling and the HR Department is (dare I say it) fantastic.

Cons

CUC is a bureaucratic morass, minus some policies and procedures. The College of Business runs like a business in an academic setting; the school runs itself like a church with nasty politics.

Get the church out of the school administration. God does not produce a financial statement, nor does he bring students in the doors. Keep the moral codes and ethics, but leave the theology out of daily management.

Great place for work and school

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Chicago, IL

Pros

Student centered atmosphere, true collaborative environment, emphasis on furthering your education, Supportive management, there when I need help or have a question but left me alone to do my job without micromanaging

Cons

Sometimes I felt like I was looked at as not being as intelligent because I didn't pursue a doctorate. CUC places a high emphasis on education, sometimes to the exclusion of the staff who have lives outside of the classroom.

Student worker, what can you really expect

I worked at Concordia University Chicago

Pros

Flexible, work with other students

Cons

Pay, boring jobs, and outside jobs get cold in the winter

none

Overworked, no communication

I worked at Concordia University Chicago full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Educational opportunities for students at the university, in most cases, are excellent and employees are offered tuition incentives for furthering their education.

Cons

Administrative employees are overworked and encouraged to "get the work done" but are not able to clock-in more than 40 hours a week. Team and departmental meetings do not exist so that learning procedures and finding out about new priorities are difficult to impossible. Many employees are related, attended the university as an undergraduate student, or is a practicing Lutheran. Employees outside of these parameters are not as welcomed although the university promotes and advocates diversity.

Attend some of the organizational and MBA courses offered by the university - they might learn a few things.