Concur

Updated December 18, 2014
4.0

Concur Chairman and CEO Steve Singh
Steve Singh

Pros
  • The work is fairly fast paced, but people have a good work life balance (in 24 reviews)

• Concur is a highly desirable employer and leader in the SaaS Corporate Travel and Expense space (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-Life Balance - Not unusual for some IT employees to work 60 hour weeks (in 9 reviews)

• There have been growing pains, and there is lots of work to do to meet the aggressive goals (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

Strong culture of hard working, positive people that you actually like working with!

Current Employee - Senior Director
    Current Employee - Senior Director

I have been working at Concur

Pros

I've been at enough companies in my career to know that no place is perfect. But the founders did a nice job building a positive culture of "people you want to work with" - almost everyone I've worked with are helpful, positive, and just genuinely good people. Tons of folks have been here a very long time, which speaks to the culture. Still feels entrepreneurial in spite of its growing size.

Cons

Sometimes the folks that have been there a long time cannot realize there are other, better ways of doing things. They aren't resistant to change, they just don't have exposure to other methods and processes. Company has under-invested in internal infrastructure. Needs to put some $$$ toward systems, processes, data/analytics, and some back office things to help with the growth and future scaling

Don't lose the culture with the SAP deal! Fix the infrastructure issues!

Work

I have been working at Concur

Pros

Very friendly place to work. Interesting projects, not much room to grow career wise. Company has been acquired by SAP.

Cons

Parking is not easy. Monthly rate can be high. Company does offer some compensation toward parking.

Very Political

I worked at Concur (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great product, great benefits, some really great people. The customers are very happy with the product and innovation. Lot of long term employees

Cons

It is pretty political, A lot of it is about who you know if you are going to move forward and one manager's bias is passed to others. Leadership doesn't really want people who don't always agree with them.

Amazing!

Current Employee - Regional Sales Executive
    Current Employee - Regional Sales Executive

I have been working at Concur full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Culture is incredible! I've never worked for a place that cared as much about their people as Concur. Innovation engine is unbelievable here! I'm humbled to work with some of the smartest people in the world.

Cons

Very little to complain about. Some typical growing pains re: processes and infrastructure but aside from that, I feel blessed to come to work here every day.

Communicate frequently! Your passion is inspiring and pushes us to reach greater heights. If you want to carry that momentum, be constantly visible. Especially using webcast for the remote offices.

Love it, so far.

Current Employee - Marketing Specialist in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Marketing Specialist in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Concur full-time (less than an year)

Pros

TripIt from Concur, is a great place to work. I am constantly challenged and impressed by the passion and knowledge that is present here. The leadership really wants you to be successful, no matter what that means. There are many times in which you are given a project and they let you run with it. With our recent acquisition by SAP I'm excited to see what happens next.

Cons

Sometimes you are just thrown into things without much explanation or background.

Love working at Concur. Great people and lots of opportunities

I have been working at Concur

Pros

Great culture, great people, innovative, fast paced

Cons

Low salaries, political, fast paced

Get out while you still can

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vienna, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vienna, VA

I worked at Concur full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Pay is decent, but that's about it

Cons

- Some horrible people in the program management and client project management teams.
    - Place is run by one upper management person who is calling the shots on every aspects of the government business, from R&D to product to QA. Leadership is a mess.
    - Over promising government clients and cannot deliver. Bit more than they can chew. Everyday customers are threatening to walk away.
    - Terrible travel/expense management product for the government. Outdated technologies. Tons of product defects are logged everyday and cannot fix them all. All they do is hotfixes and patched every other day or so.
    - Low morale, and no respect for the worker bees. Those who can talk or suck up to the management and do nothing get the pat on their shoulders.

Client Development Regional Sales Executive

Former Employee - Client Development Regional Sales Executive in Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - Client Development Regional Sales Executive in Bellevue, WA

I worked at Concur full-time (more than an year)

Pros

You can make decent money. The company was positive for the most part. Perks and amenities were good.

Cons

Always under pressure. Upper management is very cool, but immediate management requiring all kinds of reports etc. The first year was a trusting environment where we all worked together. 2nd year became very strict and hard to operate. Territories were cut down dramatically. Hard chance to succeed.

Treat your employees like people rather than just a tool.

Good product, pretty top heavy with management

I have been working at Concur full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I like our product, and I fell like I could position it against any of our competitors easily. There is a nice amount of time off, and some flexibility to work at home depending on position.

Cons

The company is very different then when I started a few years ago when we were only 1100 employees. I have no idea what to expect with the recent SAP acquisition, but I can't imagine it being good. Ever since we have been growing rapidly... things have gone downhill. There are so many layers of management, it's hard to even make a difference unless you play the game perfectly.

Senior titles are given out (in certain roles) without any ryhme or reason. Rewards are given out to people who are successful at putting up numbers... but are notoriously difficult to work with. It's discouraging at end of year when everyone has to bow down to whatever sales wants no matter what.

Stop rewarding people who aren't well rounded. There are also way too many of you. There doesn't need to be a manager that reports up to a director, that reports up to a VP, that reports to another VP, and so on... Managers should be able to step in and do the job of their reports... but we don't hire those types of managers. They just know how to use excel spreadsheets, and are good at approving time off. There's not a lot of respect if they can't even demo the product.

Egotistical, silo'd leadership barely running a huge company

I have been working at Concur full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Can dress casual at corporate office, and bring pets to work. Great work/life balance in regards to flexibility. If you stay long enough, you can move to new areas to try new positions without starting over at entry level.

Cons

Everyone works in silos just trying to push their own goals, with no accountability within work streams. Leadership thinks they are building great strategies, but they dont know how to execute and change this large of an organization...so its always confusing and ineffective.

Focus more on how to do something well, not just what new things to do. Work to bigger goals than just your bonus, and set your employee goals to align to their executional items that drive business efforts, not just the overall sales numbers.