Concur

Updated August 21, 2014

4.0

Concur Chairman and CEO Steve Singh
Steve Singh

Pros
  • The work is fairly fast paced, but people have a good work life balance (in 20 reviews)

• A lot of opportunities for growth (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-Life Balance - Not unusual for some IT employees to work 60 hour weeks (in 9 reviews)

• Too fast paced, too much information (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Great MBA internship experience

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

Pros

Transparent and communicative management, collaborative culture, supportive coworkers, excellent culture

Cons

Not entirely clear how the path to conversion from intern to full-time works, but this is a new program so I'll give them the benefit of the doubt for now.

Keep up the communication to your employees - it's great to hear first hand how our high-level strategic objectives are moving forward. Do everything possible to maintain the culture through the coming months of customer growth and new employee hiring.

Great company, Great Coworkers BUT management not that good.

Pros

Pay, People and Ability to work from home.

Cons

Management team does not know what they are doing, They are a technology company and half the time we had our system malfunction...

COMMUNICATE WITH YOUR Employs, Communication was a HUGE issue, we tried to contact other team members and they would not respond to us. Very frustrated.

Love this company!

Pros

Great work life balance, a lot of growth, fair salaries, flexible schedules. I also love the people who work here and the company culture. Best company I've ever worked for.

Cons

Company is changing fast and the information doesn't get passed to employees in the best way. I feel like too many new projects are going on at once.

Focus on one thing at a time and hire more US based employees as we grow.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Love it here!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Pros

I love working for TripIt. Managers are very supportive here and there's a strong emphasis on career development, which I love. I feel like there's no glass ceiling and plenty of room for me to grow within the company. I'm empowered to make decisions and act autonomously, which is something I have found to be very rare at other companies. The cross-collaboration between various teams (marketing, product, design, engineering, BD) is extremely refreshing, and the emphasis on team before self is crucial in our ability to execute on ideas and vision.

The executive team works hard to makes themselves accessible and really likes to attend team functions and outings to get to know the staff outside of the office. I am often surprised about how candid the leadership is about the company roadmap and future, something that is often hidden from employees.

The company culture is probably my favorite part about working here. The team is fun, hardworking, driven, and I already consider many of my colleagues friends. The values of innovation, accessibility, career development, and transparency come through in day-to-day life here.

It also doesn't hurt that we moved into a killer new office in SOMA shared with Airbnb and Pinterest.

Cons

Some growing pains as the transition from startup to a more corporate company, post-Concur acquisition, but that's to be expected in any acquisition, acqui-hiring, etc. type of situation. That being said, in my opinion, the company functions in between a startup and a corporation.

Fast growing company with too many levels of management

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

Pros

Company has grown from 1000 employees to over 4000 in 5 years. Stock price has risen almost 200% in the same time frame. Senior leadership makes it a point to be seen and share information/strategy.

Cons

Supervisors, Managers, Senior Managers, Directors, Assistant VPs, VPs, Senior VPs, etc. Flat is definitely not a word used to describe the organization of Concur.
    High tolerance for sub-performers
    Acquisitions have led to groups not feeling part of the "whole"

Flatten out the organization. Companies larger than Concur have done it with success. Too many layers leads to miscommunication as objectives/goals are filtered down the organization.

Regional Sales Executive - Small Business

Current Employee - Regional Sales Executive  in  Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Regional Sales Executive in Bellevue, WA

Pros

Culture is first class. Amazing co-workers, amazing company sponsored events. They truly make the office a fun place to be at! Ping pong, pool table, Foosball table, free lunches all the time, happy hours etc. They also shower you with resources to help you succeed. Couldn't be happier!

Cons

No complaints here... after working at other companies prior to Concur, this is BY FAR the best company to work for in the Northwest in my opinion.

Continue to care...

Energetic, engaging and friendly workplace

Current Employee - Software Design Engineer In Test III  in  Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Software Design Engineer In Test III in Bellevue, WA

Pros

When I first joined the company it was described by leadership as "a 20 year old company that is behaving like a start up." This is a fantastic description. The company is always focused on forward progress, meaning the work never gets stale. Every employee is encouraged and expected to grow as an individual and everyone's opinion counts. This creates an open and honest culture that fosters innovation and encourages the opportunity to challenge the "old" and invent the "new."

Within the office the environment is engaging and VERY friendly. I was surprised at how genuinely friendly people were. I had not experienced this in my previous jobs and it made the transition very smooth. You don't have to be afraid to ask questions when you don't have the answers and because of the talented workforce you never have to go very far to find the solutions.

The company also is not afraid to recognize where it needs to improve and face those challenges head-on. That type of corporate culture works to inspire teams at every level work to improve their own performance.

The vacation package and maternity/paternity leave packages are excellent. Work day flexibility makes a work-life balance possible.

I would recommend a career at Concur to anyone and everyone that is interested. I couldn't be happier with my decision to join the company.

Cons

There appears to be a struggle to maintain the headcount level in some areas. While business grows the number of available heads hasn't always kept up. That mixed with natural attrition means that some teams are understaffed.
    That said, if you are considering a career at Concur, this means that we need your talents! Positive growth always means opportunities.

Great Company, Opportunity for Advancement, Great Sales roles

Current Employee - Regional Sales Executive
    Current Employee - Regional Sales Executive

Pros

Great Company, amazing innovation and growth. Upper management cares about their employees and it shows in benefits and compensation. Huge opportunity for sales because we are leading the world in the direction of employee spend managment, there is always something more to sell

Cons

We move very fast so keeping up can be tough. You have to be flexible and have the ability to move quickly or you will be left behind.

Keep up the good work

Concur - great opportunity!

Pros

Great culture. Tremendous opportunity for growth and having an impact on the company's success. Great coworkers.

Cons

Rapid growth sometimes leads to misalignment but the leaders are already taking steps to address it.

Increasingly negative culture. Product issues. Micromanaging.

Current Employee - Director
    Current Employee - Director

Pros

Market leaders in the industry
    Charismatic founders

Cons

Too many cons to enter here. See below.

The culture has shifted drastically and has become very negative
    Leadership is giving contradictory priorities
    Leadership claims to be transparent but acts in a manipulative manor
    Reactive management is increasingly micromanaging
    Work life balance is theory and rhetoric

Client implementations rarely go smoothly and it is a known issue with no resolution
    There are many challenges with stability of the core products with an undefined cause
    Clients are complaining

They are trying to hire top talent and then manage them like they are fresh out of college
    The onborading process is a mess for new hires
    Quotas are build so that all year reps and managers are under plan, then leadership provides urgent triage uplift late in the year. Even great reps rarely feel successful and there are always fire drills.
    So few reps are hitting their current number yet they continue to raise quota and shrink territory

--- advice for management ---

Fix the product issues. Stop expecting so much growth when you are struggling to get to your number and no one feels successful. The competition is getting better and you need a model to sell into the SMB space that is simple for customers to procure and implement. There are too many internal meetings; stop touching everything all the time, it only provides confusion. Stop taking about the culture of transparency while keeping everyone in the dark until the last minute. Don't talk about work life balance when people can't use all of their vacation days.

Worked for Concur? Contribute to the Community!