Concurrent Technologies Corporation

Concurrent Technologies Corporation Reviews

Updated Jun 30, 2014

Concurrent Technologies Corporation President and CEO Ed Sheehan

Ed Sheehan

Pros
  • Concurrent offers a friendly work environment, highly competitive compensation and good benefits(in 8 reviews)

• There are many different types of projects to work on ranging from welding and metalworking to C4ISR(in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • No job security for the best people, let alone anyone else on the team(in 7 reviews)

• Business development is done on a shoestring budget, but with senior management expecting homeruns(in 7 reviews)

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Johnstown, PA

ProsSmall town atmosphere. Not high pressure.

ConsShort term govt contracts make long term employment status always questionable.

Great pay if you can get the work

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Johnstown, PA

Prosexcellent pay and nice co-workers at the ground level, but the higher you go up the less friendly and professional they become.

Consfeast or famine when it comes to work, which is made 10x worse by the constant smoking mirrors that management puts up (always saying how great the future and outlook is but people are constantly out of work [but still count as employees]).

incompetent senior management - this cannot be stressed enough.

Advice to Senior Managementif you're going to hire someone, make sure there's work for them to do beyond the first month.

I wouldn't recommend CTC to my worst enemy

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Johnstown, PA

ProsLargely informal, relaxed environment. Professional staffers are some of the smartest people I've ever worked with.

ConsContract-to-contract mentality with a middle management who loves to put people in information vacuums, put them on furlough AND then openly advertise the vacancy. The old-boy network is alive and well at CTC; expect to be treated accordingly.

Advice to Senior ManagementCut loose the layers of corporate fat; managers, rather than the professional staff should be furloughed first.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Stressful

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Arlington, VA

Prosif you generate your own work will be ok

ConsInexperienced management and executive leadership

Advice to Senior ManagementCut number of levels of management

Excellent Technical People...Management Boobery at the highest levels

Project Manager (Former Employee) Annapolis Junction, MD

ProsFantastic potential; great technical expertise, ability to grow (to a certain point)

ConsUnless you are a continuous rain-maker (bring in the money or one of the good 'ole boys) you will not survive foray into management territory...for very long.

Advice to Senior ManagementClean house; too many levels of management; let the engineers and techs be just that; manage them better with, guess what...better/trained managers. The client does not want to see the boobs in Management, they want to talk to and work with the bright young things that are doing the good work...

Senior Management not familiar with latest industry trends - you won't learn anything new

Digital Artist (Former Employee) Johnstown, PA

ProsGreat benefits, Large Company,Interesting Projects
    Work on both government and private industry projects

ConsIn a small backward community
    Lots of nepotism
    Old school management mentality
    Old Technologies

Advice to Senior ManagementGet industry leaders in your senior management positions.

Review

Network Engineer (Former Employee) Johnstown, PA

ProsGreat pay for area in johnstown

Consassessments are poor and should be changed

Advice to Senior Managementpeople should be assessed based on work not years they've been there with the company

Some Pros, More Cons.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Johnstown, PA

ProsLocation - small rural town in PA. Good location for family.
    Benefits - Benefits were some of the best I've ever had.

ConsCrony-ism. Promotions to management are based off of who likes whom, not who's qualified. Managers screaming at employees, slamming doors and other nonsense.

Not very deep project pool. If you aren't on a project that has good funding, expect to lose your job.

Murtha problems. Senator Murtha passed away and project funding start drying up even more. Because of the entire climate, it's now a dicey place to work.

Advice to Senior ManagementNot much to say; the entire environment is a bit off. Promotions based off merits and more visibility of what's really going on.

Great company with worrisome job security

Engineer (Former Employee) Largo, FL

ProsGreat people. Great atmosphere. Some very knowledgeable people are available for querying. Awesome online education through CTC University.

ConsJob security. Limited job advancement. Poor communication from the top-down. Too many procedural obstacles.

Advice to Senior ManagementToo much micromanagement leads to a choke-hold on creativity.

Good company on the surface, but limiting once inside

Business Staff Member (Former Employee) Washington, DC

ProsOverall CTC tends to hire smart, qualified people, so there are opportunities to work and to network with other professionals. CTC also has contracts for some very interesting programs.

ConsCorporate has a small-town mentality which doesn't translate well for employees in areas outside Johnstown, PA (such as Washington DC). They are slow to transform internal operations even when they are developing cutting-edge technologies and processes for their clients. During my annual reviews I was continually told I was doing a good job, but there didn't seem to be a career path for me at CTC; even though I asked, I never received a direct answer about what things I would need to do to earn a promotion. I felt that in many ways CTC was the "old boys club" and only a few lucky women had leadership roles. I also felt disadvantaged because I was not former military. Additionally, the pay was low compared with other government contractors in the DC area. I also felt that management didn't empower me to do the best job I could; I was held back and micro-managed in some cases. In my experience, some under-performing associates were retained far longer than they should have been, and management did not have my back when a coworker was behaving in an unprofessional manner toward me. Illogically, the company does not fully disclose how the annual incentive plan works. It appears to be strongly tied to new business development, even for staff who are not in management or business development roles. Why the secrecy? It seems to be the norm at CTC and it can make for an unfriendly corporate atmosphere. On a final note, the company has no bereavement policy and I was forced to take leave without pay when I lost a close family member. During that ordeal I did not feel that the company or anyone in it cared about what I was going through.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou hire good people, but if you want to retain them, your management practices need to move into the global world of the 21st century. Empower people, trust them, and pay them competitive salaries. Incorporate transparency so that secret keeping does not occur between management and associates. Improve the career paths and professional development opportunities and communicate this information to all hands.

Worked for Concurrent Technologies Corporation? Contribute to the Community!