Concurrent Technologies Corporation

Updated October 22, 2014
2.8

Concurrent Technologies Corporation President and CEO Ed Sheehan
Ed Sheehan

Pros
  • Good benefits, positive work environment (in 8 reviews)

• There are many different types of projects to work on ranging from welding and metalworking to C4ISR (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Business development is done on a shoestring budget, but with senior management expecting homeruns (in 7 reviews)

• The old-boy network is alive and well at CTC; expect to be treated accordingly (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Very good starting job right out of the military

I worked at Concurrent Technologies Corporation full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great staff to work with below the Executive Director level. Great commitment and they were motivated by doing what's best for the customer. Salary was ok and benefits were great. Plenty of autonomy to manage the business unit.

Cons

CEO seems really detached from reality. Very narcissistic views leads to organized chest bumping amongst the C-Level middle age and senior white males while the remainder of the company struggles to understand what's happening. Communication from the top is virtually non-existent and staff is afraid to make an opposing view point against established policies for fear of being terminated. I have seen it happen on multiple occasions.

Get a real strategist and do a strategic diagnosis of your place in industry. Too many of the C-Level players are homegrown and have ideas that are outdated. Clean house. Relocate the company out of Johnstown. There is no real industry there to speak of and all of your customers are in places other than JST. Leave a small contingent to do the "hard sciences", but all the real business is in the metropolitan areas such as Washington, D.C.

Company In Decline

I have been working at Concurrent Technologies Corporation

Pros

Competitive salaries and average benefits

Cons

Very poor management at the line management and Executive Management level.

Quit allowing Executive Managers and Line Managers to sacrifice your talent to save their own jobs.

The writing was on the wall when Murtha died

I worked at Concurrent Technologies Corporation full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Experience, some good people, not much else

Cons

My information is dated, since I left the company years ago. But, the recent trends people are writing about now (Johnstown-cliqueish company culture that resists anything but a token presence in the Washington area, serial reorganizations, no sick leave, unpaid work requirements, disconnected upper management, lack of concern for technical staff, utter lack of understanding of DoD sponsors, etc.) were already in existence when I left -- which is WHY I left. (No, actually, I decided to leave after they bought every single employee a copy of "Who Moved My Cheese?" -- probably the singularly dumbest use of internal money I ever witnessed.) As an FFRDC-wannabe, CTC was then almost 100% dependent on directed funding brought in by their favorite pet lawmaker -- and those of us in offices far remote from the Johnstown flagship Death Star were regularly solicited for campaign contributions, as if that was somehow appropriate. It was not hard to predict what would happen when the gravy train eventually derailed. Every year the folks in my (non-Johnstown) office would go through the dispiriting task of writing ourselves up for bonuses (does that happen anywhere else?), but I never knew anyone who got one, and we all recognized that the fix was in, but not for us. Even then, every quarter, the company would reorganize -- this was touted as a good thing. People I knew and worked with were routinely "disappeared" when the new org chart came out -- I got seriously worried when that happened to my boss, a smart and talented woman who I literally never saw or heard from again. Who wants to work in a place like that? Not me. Perhaps in Johnstown, where there are limited options. But, CTC is now proving that on a level playing field it just can't compete with the grown ups in DC. I feel bad for the good folks I worked with who were tethered to homes and families in Johnstown.

What's the point? They'll figure out how to feast on the carcass a few more years.

Great Company

I worked at Concurrent Technologies Corporation full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefits, positive work environment.

Cons

No major cons to speak of.

Company in Serious decline with no future

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Johnstown, PA

I worked at Concurrent Technologies Corporation full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great people to work with,....below the senior exec level.

Cons

CEO, CFO and Senior Executives. Under the people who are currently in leadership positions, who have no concept of leadership or management or strategic planning etc., this company IS declining at a rapid rate. DO NOT consider employment here.

Resign! You are ruining a once great company. CEO, quit padding your glass door ratings by having the small business office and others anonymously post positive rating of you.

CTC was a great place to work!

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant III in Johnstown, PA
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant III in Johnstown, PA

I worked at Concurrent Technologies Corporation full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great people to work with, good compensation and wonderful benefits.

Cons

CTC is a federal government contractor, so unfortunately employees lose jobs when the government decides not to renew contracts due to budget restrictions. I was laid off in Feb 2014.

This company is tops!!

Good experience, stepping stone to something better

Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Concurrent Technologies Corporation full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

At a young age you can be put into an opportunity to excel. The trick is to be able to build your resume for your next job. There are some truly great people working for CTC, both from a great to work with and an experience perspective.

Cons

Salary plateaus quickly. Complete absence of management (outside of Johnstown).
    Health benefits are not good. There is no known training/career path.

Management is not a "passive" activity (as has been my experience at CTC). Incentives need to be provided to keep valuable employees.

Great Management and Reachback support is great!! However, uncertainty on follow-on work

I have been working at Concurrent Technologies Corporation full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Management at the project and program level were great! Reachback support was outstanding and solved issues when required. Management was flexible with conflicting schedules and ensuring staff got their deserved time off when required.

Cons

ISMO IT support was lacking on more than one occasion and hard to get a hold of with the duty phone. Seemed like they didn't get the "we work 7 days a week and we're several hours ahead" concept that they are there to support our contract.
    Lack of follow-on work with potential end-of-contract. Seemed like Johnstown staff weren't thinking ahead about the 10 or more full time staff overseas and if they could be integrated elsewhere within CTC.

If you know you have talent, try your best to keep them. Very few looked concerned with keeping staff on other contracts, just on their own positions. Posture of the company seems like it's in "Tunnel vision" mode and only concerned with Johnstown. No critical thinking of other full time staff and their potential elsewhere within CTC.

Great to work with this Company. Company lives Brand. Highly dependable, honest, and forthright.

Current Employee - Industrial Hygienist III in Stafford, VA
    Current Employee - Industrial Hygienist III in Stafford, VA

I have been working at Concurrent Technologies Corporation full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good benefits. Everyone from top management down has a team mentality. All staff work towards a common goal.

Cons

Getting more non-government contracts. Although is difficult in this economy, the company should become dependent on private companies by contacting those companies that employ an IH and showing the company the advantages of using a CTC IH instead.

Continue what you are doing. Management continually keeps employees informed and aware of company issues.

I worked at Concurrent Technologies for 10+ years and I took great pride in my job and loved what I did.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Johnstown, PA

I worked at Concurrent Technologies Corporation full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

They offered great benefits. First several years morale was high throughout the company, seemed to decline rapidly once it started.

Cons

I agree with other comments about upper management being focused too much on their personal image and not the company or employees. More importance should be placed on rewarding employees based upon their output, pride taken in their job and less on the chosen few that are continuously rewarded because of who they are rather than what they produce.

When corporations deem it necessary to restructure their workforce it should be based on competency and work ethic. It appears favoritism and nepotism trump qualification.

Concurrent Technologies Corporation Photos