Concurrent Technologies Corporation

Updated February 28, 2015
2.8

Concurrent Technologies Corporation President and CEO Ed Sheehan
Ed Sheehan

Pros
  • Good benefits, positive work environment (in 8 reviews)

• There are many different types of projects to work on ranging from welding and metalworking to C4ISR (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Business development is done on a shoestring budget, but with senior management expecting homeruns (in 7 reviews)

• The old-boy network is alive and well at CTC; expect to be treated accordingly (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Awesome!

I worked at Concurrent Technologies Corporation

Pros

Great atmosphere and people who like to get things done!

Cons

Systems can be poor or unreliable

Make ideas happen, quicker!

Functional Consultant

I have been working at Concurrent Technologies Corporation

Pros

Great People. Great company. Outstanding benefits.

Cons

Poor training, lack of structure for processes, older team members expect newer Concurians to know aspects of the job that are not clearly documented and it stifles open learning and sharing.

Training and processes need to be reviewed. Burnout is a serious possibly with this company.

Wonderful opportunity and great employees

Former Employee - Director in Johnstown, PA
    Former Employee - Director in Johnstown, PA

I worked at Concurrent Technologies Corporation

Pros

Employees are top-notch; dedicated, innovative, team centric! Generous leave policy and benefits including pension contribution.

Cons

none, was a great experience.

To improve understanding at the staff level engage with PM's , its their teams that are putting forth the products to the clients.

Great company!

Current Employee - Industrial Hygienist
    Current Employee - Industrial Hygienist

I have been working at Concurrent Technologies Corporation

Pros

Great benefits and the work is rewarding.

Cons

Contract work can be precarious.

Consider reviewing employees work more often.

Collectively this company doesn't know a thing about software engineering.

Former Employee - Principal Software Engineer in Johnstown, PA
    Former Employee - Principal Software Engineer in Johnstown, PA

I worked at Concurrent Technologies Corporation full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Better than average retirement benefits (were better in the past, though).
    Very good vacation time.
    Average on other benefits.
    Good pay for the area.

Cons

No training whatsoever; left to fend for yourself. No culture of learning or sharing of knowledge between peers.
    Management is beyond inept. Read daily Dilbert to understand management.
    You have to fend for yourself. The paycheck might have CTC printed on it, but that's where your support from the company will end. It's every dog for himself; feels like independent consulting most of the time.
    Management preaches great things, but nothing changes.
    Morale is pretty bad.

They won't read this or change if they did. My advice to you, the reader, is only go to this company if you plan to stay one to three years and use it as a stepping stone. Whatever you do, don't move back to the home of the mother ship and think this company will provide you a long-term, stable, happy career. Not if you are in software development, anyway.

legacy codes , out dated coding and software architecture

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Jupiter, FL
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Jupiter, FL

I have been working at Concurrent Technologies Corporation full-time (less than a year)

Pros

good for having new idea and execute it

Cons

hard to make any changes

Great people, (once) good work environment, incompetent leadership

Former Employee - Senior Engineer in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Senior Engineer in Tampa, FL

I worked at Concurrent Technologies Corporation full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Compared to the places I've worked at before and after CTC, it seemed like my CTC coworkers and immediate managers were very competent about company systems. I've worked at R&D firms and aerospace firms before and after CTC, so I've always worked with smart, educated people. But, wow, at my current employer if I ask how to file a purchase request, I get shrugs from 10-year veterans (and ambivalent answers from people in purchasing). At CTC, I'd be pointed to the correct people, correct form, and on-line how-to manuals in minutes (alright, maybe hours). It was a place that worked smoothly (until the executive leadership got involved - see Cons). Pardon the silly comparison, but I often read Dilbert comics and thought, "Well, I know that bumbling happens elsewhere, but not here - at least not at my level."

Pay and benefits were great. Raises were good (and seem much better compared to my new employer). The work environment was mostly laid back. Flex time and understanding management gave good work-life balance. I got to work on interesting research projects and occasionally travel the width and breadth of the US to customers or research sites.

Cons

Executive leadership is running the company into the ground. CTC grew rapidly for about 20 years because it had the lobbied backing of Congressmen like Murtha and Young. With directed funding cut off, CTC made a stumbling, painful transition to a mostly-competitive bid environment - but it made it. It didn't hit its growth targets in the mid- to late-2000s, but it didn't shrink too much. Some non-Johnstown offices suffered layoffs, but the company as a whole seemed stable. Then there was that tipping moment when the many reorganizations and new plans started getting rid of the vital people, the people that customers signed contracts to obtain good work from.

When your big contract depends on the customer knowing and liking the engineers on it, you don't lay off those engineers and hold an expensive company-wide event about "rebranding" CTC to be the company that forms strong bonds with customers. But CTC did just that.

CTC also didn't seem to understand business development. "It takes money to make money," but CTC had nigh-ludicrous business development requirements. You were expected to capture contracts on a smaller budget than most companies would award as finders' fees. At the time I was laid off (2012), the personnel hired as highly-paid business development managers were usually "highly connected" former government personnel who, because they had a lot of drinking buddies in government, were expected to draw in big contracts. However, former military officers lacking familiarity with CTC's capabilities were not the right people to sell us. I lost count of how often my managers had to brief and re-brief the BD "capture experts" on my office's capabilities. I can count how often we got contracts from those experts: zero.

1) Please, find new executives and CEOs.
    2) Once #1 is completed, leave without pricey golden parachutes. CTC can't afford those and to keep so many good people employed.
    3) Stop with the obvious padded posts on Glassdoor. Recent posts have praised "continuous growth," but I've seen your latest company overviews slipped into engineering presentations. CTC has shrunk painfully in terms of personnel and gross profits since I left, and that's compared to even the layoffs that happened throughout most of my employment there.

Great company

Current Employee - Assistant Information Management Specialist in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Assistant Information Management Specialist in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Concurrent Technologies Corporation full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

continuous growth. enormous opportunities to expand within. receiving weekly and quarterly messages from the higher ups really instills great company culture.

Cons

review procedures are a bit off putting. Even if given the same job title as someone on your team, you may get different responsibilities; which isn't great when management gauges you on metrics.

Update

Current Employee - Technical in Johnstown, PA
    Current Employee - Technical in Johnstown, PA

I have been working at Concurrent Technologies Corporation

Pros

Management has dedicated a large sum (large for this company anyway) to investigate additive manufacturing in an effort to become leading edge. At least they are trying something sensible.

Cons

Comments of a year ago entitled Technical Person Viewpoint are still valid. The company continues to decline, including many layoffs and a great shortage of work for most people. I suspect that those providing a rosy review here seem to be either oblivious to their surroundings or are padding the ratings due to some relationship with upper management.

At this point, hire a turnaround consultant if you can still afford one.

Lucky Employee

Current Employee - Client Support Representative in Vienna, VA
    Current Employee - Client Support Representative in Vienna, VA

I have been working at Concurrent Technologies Corporation full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Awesome co-workers, interesting job, and great opportunities to "climb the corporate ladder." The benefits (health, etc...) are phenomenal as well. Definitely a great company to work for!

Cons

Large business, and growing. It can be hard to keep up with all the product information, and latest system releases, but a challenge is always met with gratitude here.

Concurrent Technologies Corporation Photos