Concurrent Technologies Corporation

Concurrent Technologies Corporation Reviews

Updated Apr 14, 2014

Concurrent Technologies Corporation President and CEO Ed Sheehan

Ed Sheehan

Pros:
  • "Good benefits and great local team"
    in 7 reviews
  • "There are many different types of projects to work on ranging from welding and metalworking to C4ISR"
    in 4 reviews
Cons:
  • "No job security for the best people, let alone anyone else on the team"
    in 7 reviews
  • "Business development is done on a shoestring budget, but with senior management expecting homeruns"
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Science and technology company

I have been working at Concurrent Technologies Corporation

ProsYou can move between divisions and locations. Generous retirement package.

ConsGovernment environment is leaning toward cheap labor, and furloughs/layoffs happen to highly skilled professionals.

Senior Management lacks leadership

Director (Former Employee)

I worked at Concurrent Technologies Corporation full-time for more than 8 years

ProsPeople in middle management and leadership are hard-working and team oriented.

ConsSenior leaders lack courage, vision and focus. They fail to provide appropriate strategic vision, mission and purpose. The downward trend continues. The end of another quarter brings to an end another group of careers outside of the senior management level.

Advice to Senior ManagementSeek ways to stop the downward trend the President and CEO must have seen coming when he asked all leadership team members to read, "When the Mighty Fall". Something he ask people to read over 12 months ago. Find leaders for leadership positions, not managers and bureaucrats.

People dont' work, company only delivers shelved products and whitepapers

Software Engineer (Former Employee)

I worked at Concurrent Technologies Corporation full-time for more than 8 years

ProsGood pay and good benefits

ConsCompleted projects for government agencies never get put into production. Internal squabbling between managers. Project-based so there is no clear internal authority nor chain of command. You may have multiple same-level managers, charge to multiple projects, and spend all day trying to figure out which ones to charge an hour to. Accomplishments, project completions, etc are not recognized, nor rewarded.

Advice to Senior ManagementFind private clients instead of government low-hanging fruit contracts.

Great Place for Internship

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Concurrent Technologies Corporation

Pros- Helpful staff
- Relaxing atmosphere

Cons- Workload increased dramatically after one month

Advice to Senior ManagementN/a

Johnstown Centric

Principal (Former Employee)

I worked at Concurrent Technologies Corporation full-time for more than 8 years

ProsGreat salary and benefits (previously), nice people

ConsToo Johnstown centric--100% of clients are outside Johnstown, but leadership positions continue to be drawn back to Johnstown. The good news is that CTC is staying true to Johnstown, the bad news is that at the rate they are going, there won't be much left.

Advice to Senior ManagementChange the management model and put key positions where the clients are.

Need to make major changes at the top

I have been working at Concurrent Technologies Corporation

ProsGreat people at the execution level.

ConsSenior Leadership does not take responsibility for problems. Blame problems on those trying to execute. Very beaurocratic and not modern in organization and leadership.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of upper management people not just the worker bees. Adopt more modern management styles.

Great place to work, but government uncertainity causes worry

Johnstown, PA

I have been working at Concurrent Technologies Corporation full-time for more than 5 years

Pros-Great benefits (medical, tuition reimbursement, short-term and long-term disability, paid leave)
-Decent compensation, especially for the area
-Friendly coworkers, good managers
-Nice work environment
-Interesting work, learn something new everyday
-CEO knows the names of all employees and is very approachable

ConsThe uncertainty in the government right now, especially with sequestration, has hit CTC pretty hard. This has caused a lot of worry, and yes, layoffs, within the company. CTC continues to work on the projects already awarded to us, but new awards, and thus the retaining of employees and the hiring of new ones, has slowed immensely. This is something beyond CTC's control, but some worries might be alleviated if management would release updates to the company rather than keep some aspects of the company's financial worries and layoffs shrouded in secrecy.

Some executive leadership team members are not approachable and put off bad vibes into the company and into their lines. The majority of the leadership is decent and is actively working to better CTC and ensure that we survive this downturn, with the communications to show for it. Others keep mum.

Not much opportunity for growth in non-technical fields.

Advice to Senior ManagementEven in this uncertain climate, business development needs to do more. Not just churn out more proposals - they need to follow up on leads, meet with possible clients, do everything to ensure that CTC's name is still credible in the circles that matter and that clients understand that our work is still top notch.

Committment to Employees

Technical (Current Employee)
Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Concurrent Technologies Corporation full-time for more than 10 years

ProsHaving started a career with CTC (Pittsburgh) 10 years ago, I can testify that this company cares deeply about nurturing employee careers. I have had two extraordinary managers that were sensitive to and interested in growing my specific talents and and interests in a way that benefited the company ---- through focused project assignments and re-imbursing my masters degree. The managers are all given thorough training about resource assignment before starting their duties and I think it really reflects in the way staff is treated and nurtured. Further, over the years, CTC has hired some of the smartest people i know, true leaders and innovators in their fields.

ConsThe company is headquartered in Johnstown, PA - which is a difficult, time consuming and costly place to travel to. However, this problem has been increasingly mitigated in the past two years with great strides in IT with online video meeting capabilities, corporate instant messaging, and most significantly a cultural shift and commitment to communicating with resources everywhere..

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue the comittment to training and workforce development demonstrated in the past. CTC has hired some extraordinary talent. Continue the policies that keep star talent stars with strategic project assignments and training opportunities.

great if you don't need job security

Advisor (Current Employee)

I have been working at Concurrent Technologies Corporation full-time

ProsNice people. Good benefits. Good compensation. Interesting work most of the time. Location is in the middle of nowhere, but it's beautiful there.

ConsNo job security for the best people, let alone anyone else on the team. CTC often overstates its capabilities to its customers; many stated capabilities are past capabilities. This was a great company once, I'm told. Not any more.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you want to be a scientific R&D house, pick something to be good at and focus on doing it well. CTC tries to do too many kinds of work with too few people.

Dysfunctional road to hell paved with good intentions

Executive Director (Former Employee)

I worked at Concurrent Technologies Corporation full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGood people with many talents that all want to "do the right thing"

ConsSenior management not in business, more of a country club. Don't know what business they are in. We'll intended, but no discipline, follow-through focus,or accountability. "C" level filled with good people who like themselves just a little more than their charges and avoid conflict at all costs...including the business. That's why they are half the size they were 5years ago.

Advice to Senior ManagementGrow up, meet with customers and put their interest ahead of your own.

Worked for Concurrent Technologies Corporation? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Concurrent Technologies Corporation reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Concurrent Technologies Corporation CEO Ed Sheehan. All 66 reviews posted anonymously by Concurrent Technologies Corporation employees.