Condé Nast

Condé Nast Reviews

Updated Jul 22, 2014

Condé Nast President and CEO Chuck Townsend

Chuck Townsend

Pros
  • Great benefits (although some of them were cut down)(in 13 reviews)

• Dedicated and smart people- some of the best in the publishing business(in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • You have to look out for yourself to maintain a work life balance(in 8 reviews)

• very long hours, horrible compensation, small/cramped workspace(in 14 reviews)

Conde NastY

ProsBeautiful cafeteria, world renown recognizable brands, sometimes complimentary magazines, and pretty co-workers

ConsLots of gossip, lots of politics, girls will throw others under the bus to get to the top, cutthroat personalities especially in advertising sales. Having a brain is not advisable, nor respected...Focus on the outfit!

Advice to Senior ManagementTry distributing some perks to less senior employees- maybe they'll be happier and treat others better rather than spending all day long spreading high-school gossip.

Excellent resources but cater to whims of management

Beauty Director (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsGood salaries, smart people, great ideas and resources

ConsBig egos driving decisions at expense of business

Rearranging Deck Chairs on the Titanic

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsCache. Name recognition. World-class brands.

ConsVery little work-life balance. Politics of pretty. Lots of big egos. Print people are afraid of digital and trying extra hard to assert their power. It's like rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic. The ship is still sinking.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive those who work hard opportunities for growth. Not just the rich, white former sorority girls with the cute shoes.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Intern

Creative Services Intern (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsRelaxed work environment, was allowed to wear whatever I wanted (but needed to look stylish). Great boss, was able to do a great deal of writing and created work that actually got into the magazine.

ConsThe position was unpaid and they used to provide a stipend but that was taken away.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt was hard to make friends in the intern program. I was the only intern in my department it would have been nice to have some intern networking events so we could all meet each other.

awesome

Prosgreat people, interesting work

Conshard to move around

Good place to learn bleeding edge skills.

ProsWorking here is amazing. Most managers allow you the freedom to learn new things and actually apply them.

ConsBreak neck speed. You spend a lot of time sprinting even though you should pacing for a marathon.

The most respected brands in Publishing

Account Manager (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsAmazing brands, moving to new office in WTC, good management teams, healthy competition between titles at CN.

ConsTo capitalize on maximum compensation, you have to leave the company and get hired back to Conde Nast. This mantra is slowly changing.

Advice to Senior ManagementFoster the growth and development of talent within Conde Nast.

Web editor

ProsDecent schedule if you advocate for it

ConsLow salary, poor leadership, no room for growth

A unique place indeed-though each mag is different

Producer (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsThere are a lot of good people to connect with if you can navigate the culture. If you are on a good team-and I was-the people can be great. Looks pretty decent on your resume.

ConsLives up to the reputation of being a place where you hear plenty of people talking about others behind people's backs. Hard to move up, or to transition sideways to different work. Very old-media attitude towards the web.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire some more people that don't fit the Condé "image" and it'll be a better and more interesting place.

Executive Directors who treat their assistants like garbage

Ad Sales Assistant (Former Employee)

ProsGreat reputation, high standards (as a first job it will be all you know), and working with the industry's best.

ConsDirectors who treat their assistants like garbage, curse them out, belittle them in front of co-workers, and constantly working in fear.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay your assistants overtime and treat them like human beings. They will be taking your jobs one day.

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

Worked for Condé Nast? Contribute to the Community!