Condé Nast

Condé Nast Reviews

Updated Jul 22, 2014

Condé Nast President and CEO Chuck Townsend

Chuck Townsend

Pros
  • Great benefits (although some of them were cut down)(in 13 reviews)

• Dedicated and smart people- some of the best in the publishing business(in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • You have to look out for yourself to maintain a work life balance(in 8 reviews)

• very long hours, horrible compensation, small/cramped workspace(in 14 reviews)

Priceless in terms of experience as well as your paycheck.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsInteracting with talented industry professionals

ConsComp, ability to grow and lead

Advice to Senior ManagementEmpower young talent

At least I can say I've done it.

Director (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsGreat content and great brand equity- so much more potential

ConsThere was a reticence to embrace the reality and impact of digital media and a focus on print (which I feel is experiencing a slow and painful demise)

Advice to Senior ManagementThe attitude that "everyone wants to work here, we don't have to change" might not be the wisest attitude with which to move forward. Good people will eventually leave.

Difficult place to work if you're not a trust fund baby or a socialite.

Accessories Closet (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsNetwork building, access to the goings on of the magazine behind the scenes

ConsDoesn't pay much for living in NYC. Long hours. Some nice people, but many are difficult to work with.

Advice to Senior ManagementFind a way to manage your organization by hiring actual employees instead of taking in hoards of unpaid interns.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Intern review

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe internship provided experience of working at a magazine and what it is like to work for a huge corporation. You walk through the doors and see some of the most important people in the entertainment industry and then you work with them.

ConsThe pay was negative and unfortunately they decided to get rid of the internship program and it no longer exists.

Advice to Senior ManagementBring back the program.

Great learning experience!

IT Manager (Current Employee)

ProsGreat learning experience, worked with highly technical, intelligent individuals, willing to share and learn ideas together.

ConsBest location to work is in NYC HQ, they get tremendous company perks, & movement within the company other locations may not get.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your staff, from bottom up. Employees have many great ideas to make the company succeed, pay heed to their opinions.

Experience is what you make it!

Intern (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsMy experience at Conde Nast was a great one! At the end of the day it truly is what you make of it. With the lack of structure, it can be easy to just get caught up in completing tasks without any feeling of true growth. However, if proactive, you can easily network around different departments and make the most of your internship. I found that everyone I interacted with was extremely helpful. Also, the work environment was very relaxed and fun making for an enjoyable and different day each morning I came in.

ConsInternships are non-paid, however if you can make it work it is definitely worth the experience and relationships. There is also a lacking of a structured internship training program.

Account Manager

ProsCompetitive salary, having pretty much an unlimited expense account and name recognition are the only positives of working at this organization.

ConsHighly unprofessional and competitive environment that is catty and superficial. Absolutely no work life balance and it feels more like you're part of a sorority rather than a corporate environment. I am resigning as soon as I receive another offer.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you treated your employees better there would be less turnover.

Great team to work with...

Digital Imaging Specialist (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsI had the pleasure to work with some of the finest people in the publishing industry.

ConsNone...period. If Conde is interested in hiring you, do it without hesitation.

Go work in corporate media, not a fashion obsessed publishing house

Marketing Associate (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsA great company name to be associated with because of it's public recognition

ConsThis is a company who is horrible at communication and respect for their employees. They are a media company who prefers to make problems disappear without fixing them and doesn't understand the ethics in responding to emails from the outside. Their old fashion way of communicating really shows within the entry-level people they hire and chose to fire. Twenty something fashion girls who are snooty, prance around in their dresses and clearly haven't spent an ounce of work experience outside of the fashion industry

Advice to Senior ManagementCut some of these fashion people to bring on some corporate experienced executives, while you improve on your horrible communication and troubleshooting skills. Use the termination of the CN internship program and the public backlash it received, as a tool to reflect how this company can improve in ethical standards, hiring practices, reasonable communication and much more

Decent place to work but not a lot of motivation

Intern (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsThere are cool brands there.

ConsNo pay, not a lot of motivation.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay your interns so that they can survive.

Worked for Condé Nast? Contribute to the Community!