Conductor Reviews

Updated July 30, 2014
4.4

Conductor Co-Founder & CEO Seth Besmertnik
Seth Besmertnik

Great Company lead by Honest People who Care about Employees, Customers, and our Industry

Current Employee - Sales in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Sales in New York, NY

I have been working at Conductor full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

All Conductor employees are cool people you'd actually like to hang out with outside of work, including Management
    Good growth opportunities, even for new Conductors just starting out
    Awesome office, good perks (keg, food, xbox, etc.)
    CEO is super transparent, and so all management follows suit - communication is very good, both good and bad news
    Our product, Searchlight, is the best product in our industry.
    Good pay, good benefits, good work/life balance.

Cons

Like any startup, it's not the easiest job in the world - but I like to think that's why I work here.
    Very competitive market. Our biggest competitor spends more on marketing, sales, etc. and plays dirty so winning can be challenging.

A pool table would be nice!

Fun, fast-moving and rapid growing company

I have been working at Conductor full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Conductor is a lets call it "very mature startup", its very well organized for most of things and things usually flow pretty well.
    There's a lot of fun events all the time, and usually evenings after work there's usually some people just hanging around the keg (yes there's always one or two beer kegs in the office!), so you get to know people a bit more socially.
    The C3 conferences is a lot of fun to go to, I think its probably the best event you'll go to in the year, although end-of-year (actually this year it was done beginning of year) party is a lot of fun. Open bar, dinner and a ton of tokens at Dave and Buster, it was a lot of fun.

Cons

Not the most welcoming place to female engineers, there's only 3 female software engineers and two of them just started. Not uncommon in tech anyways.
    Work-life balance is not that great, specially if you are doing your on-call engineer shift and specially depending which of the three engineering teams you are supporting (Application, Infrastructure, DevOps). I know of plenty of people going to bed at 4am because of things going wrong over the weekend. Being on-call simply sucks and there's no real reward for doing on-call shifts, other companies that I've worked for whenever you do on-call, you accumulate a set of hours that you don't have to work the next week.
    The speed of growth at conductor worries me, hiring at an incredible velocity and now there's even some outsourcing (although management doesn't want to refer to it as 'outsourcing') in the Ukraine, I'm not yet convinced that the growth is either sustainable or needed, I think there might be a leadership question to be answered in these regards.

Be careful with the growth, don't hire just for the sake of hiring. Unqualified people will only hurt overall engineering performance and output.
    There's not a clear path for career growth in engineering, this will eventually be a problem.

Some good things but poor working culture

Current Employee - Software Engineer in New York, NY

I have been working at Conductor full-time

Pros

Cool technology and problems, some very smart people. If you're young you will make some friends here if that's important to you. Enough perks to make it ok working here. No dress code, some snacks, and beer. Pretty good place for a first or second job out of college. It's not great but it's not that bad.

Cons

Promotions seem almost made up in Sales and there might be more demotions/firings than promotions in technology.
    Culture of micro managing, passive aggressiveness, big egos, and a lot of politics considering what the company is right now.
    Although there are smart, good people to work with, there are a lot that are not.
    Company direction is poorly communicated and there is a new marketing spin on what the company/product does basically every year.
    There is a features race with competitors and the result is rushed, buggy features, and downtime.
    Hiring more and more people, working longer hours, and having impossible goals is leadership's answer to everything.
    Managers sometimes lead multiple teams and have too much responsibility or are only in charge of themselves and maybe one other person.
    As someone else mentioned, management refuses to acknowledge outsourcing.
    There is a clear dichotomy between Sales and Tech/Product and have even heard technology referred to as a "non-revenue" team even though they create the product.
    As an engineer you are expected to be available at all hours of the night and at all times and always have your laptop with you. If you are not, everyone assumes you are less dedicated.
    A lot of turnover recently especially in Technology. Some good people have left or moved away to work remotely.
    There are a lot of "cliques". Frat bros, hipsters, sales people, etc. And a lot of people are having relationships/hookups.
    The perks have been cut back recently also. No more free bagels, almost never enough food for everyone on friday lunches, and the "gym membership program" is made up. Vacation days total includes holidays. A lot of this stuff seems like it's just for recruiting.
    Healthcare and dental is not fully paid for, no 401k matching, bonuses are less than promised although cash bonuses are nice, and don't count on making money off of your stock options. Even though it's not really a startup anymore, some of that should be expected given where the company is.

Those may not be cons for everyone and a lot of people will drink the kool aid but there is a reason Conductor has dropped in the best places to work in NY from 4 to 35 in one year. Half the company has been hired in the about the past year or less and the culture has changed quickly.
    Make sure you recognize people who are contributing and what it takes to keep talented people.
    Focus the product and the company instead of trying to see what sticks.

Amazing Place to Work!

Current Employee - Manager, Account Development in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Manager, Account Development in New York, NY

I have been working at Conductor full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I love this company and think the culture, the people and the product are all amazing! It is so refreshing to know that you can be happy and do great things at the same time. I wake up every morning knowing I love my job. I look forward to growing with Conductor and believe this will be the last stop of my career journey. I feel like I finally found a home. Everyone from the CEO down are very positive, knowledgeable, and are always willing to help.

Cons

I cannot think of a single con.

Great place to be an engineer or sales, your mileage varies in other departments

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Conductor full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Some of the people I worked with were really incredible, and there's an admirable culture of giving back through their foundation and other initiatives (volunteer paid time off, group-organized activities).

Because I was hired here at an entry level I gained a lot of varied experience which has created a good base for my future career.

The CEO, Seth, cares a lot about the company, industry and employees and I hope he does well. He's a good leader.

Cons

HR seems to be a policy of staying as hands-off as possible, which is great for everyday life but pretty awful if you actually have a legitimate issue with another employee or are trying to work through something with your manager.

There are some obnoxious ego issues within a few departments, which may or may not affect you depending on your role.

I left because there was clearly no way to develop my career and move ahead past the role I was originally hired for. A scheduled discussion about my review/professional development with my department head was continually pushed off for weeks.

I suspect there's some churn not only because there's normal growing pains (rapid employee growth) but because there's not too much invested in actually developing/retaining the employees you have versus attracting new ones.

The veneer of the culture and benefits (scooters, toys, video games, etc) for attracting new employees seemed more important than the actual daily lives of real employees (taking away little perks like weekly bagels, cutting back on snacks, no 401k matching).

Conductor is a great place to be an engineer

Current Employee - Software Developer in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Software Developer in New York, NY

I have been working at Conductor full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Cutting edge technology, great culture, fun people, interesting technology

Cons

Excellent web platform but no mobile development opportunities at the moment

Unique, wonderful...on the cusp of something truly special

Current Employee - Market Development in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Market Development in New York, NY

I have been working at Conductor full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Even though Conductor is undergoing tremendous growth, the caliber of people we hire is exceptional. There has been a decision to not just fill positions with bodies, but to take care to ensure that the people we add truly fit together. You have ti be smart, you have to be great at what you do; although that is a given to get an interview, in order to get the job you have to care. It is about the team, it is about making a difference, it is about making others around you better.

The philosophy is to make something that is the best of its kind, to help transform the business of search. For someone who has traveled down a few roads, finding a place like this reaffirms that you can have a company that can care, that can make a great product, make money, treat its employees with respect, and have a social conscience.

Cons

Because it is in a high growth phase, there are going to be a lot of changes and communication will be key at making sure that we can be on the same page at the same time. Needs to get better at long term, consistent planning.

Continue to communicate, both the good and the issues. You have hired smart people, listen to them and trust them to help you get there/

Fun, fast growing startup

Current Employee - Reporting Analyst in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Reporting Analyst in New York, NY

I have been working at Conductor full-time (more than an year)

Pros

There are plenty of experienced indivivduals to learn from who drive product and industry leadership in innovate directions to keep us competitive in the market. There's plenty to learn and there's plenty of interdepartmental and intradepartmental communication that keeps us going strong.

Cons

Like any startup with growing pains, there's a lot of work to be done to keep the ship afloat while maintaining its course.

Need to invest more in areas that will improve product/company stability.

Very positive, genuine, productive company culture

I have been working at Conductor full-time (more than an year)

Pros

People, People, and People. culture

Cons

don't really have any clear cons

Learn how to say no. Can't be everything for everyone. Nice is good, but you have a business to run.

Amazing work culture, engaged leadership, smart co-workers. I look forward to Mondays.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Conductor full-time (less than an year)

Pros

This is by far the best place I have worked in my career. I have not had one day here where I have been bored...there are constant challenges, new tasks to tackle each day and growing responsibility as my comfort level with our product grows.

We're still small enough where everyone in the company knows everyone else and we are not cliquey. Engineers hang out with sales people and HR hangs out with Product. This contributes to the collaborative atmosphere and the fact that we all feel like we are in this together.

Our leadership team is made up of smart, engaged executives who are committed to seeing their direct reports do well. The CEO frequently stops by desks to say hi, he acknowledges employees who do well and he gives good, honest feedback.

Cons

- You work long hours and the pace is pretty quick. You need to like this type of environment.
    - No 401k match but new hires are awarded equity in the company.

Conductor Photos

When have you had this much fun with co-workers?
Come relax in the office with Friday Yoga