ConforMIS Reviews

Updated August 20, 2014
2.3

Philipp Lang, MD, MBA

Overall good experience

I worked at ConforMIS as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Was treated just like a full time employee

Cons

The work got boring and was very repetitive

ConforMISmanaged

I have been working at ConforMIS full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Innovative Product-Benefits Increasing in effort to retain staffing

Cons

Very Limited Advancement possibilites-Another company where HR is inexperienced, Management not always professional

Value the employees, not just the management

Great Concept - Poor Execution

I worked at ConforMIS full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The products are top-notch and very rewarding to manage. This company is for you if you are self-motivated, require little direction and enjoy a start-up atmosphere. The hours are pretty flexible if you're in a salary position.

Cons

The salary ranges are below industry norms, especially for the Boston area. As with most start-ups, employees & managers generally have titles higher than they would have at a larger company. With little investment in talent, you need to be very self-motivated and not heavily rely on managers for direction or support.

Focus on Marketing & Operations - way too much investment in CAD (this process should be automated).

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

ungrateful company

Former Employee - Manufacturing Technician  in  Burlington, MA
    Former Employee - Manufacturing Technician in Burlington, MA

I worked at ConforMIS full-time

Pros

great orthopedic company. great medical devices that change lives

Cons

management in manufacturing is lacking. company does not support employees. no room for advancement. manufacturing is the core of the company, they do not build up the technicians. lacks communication between three shifts.

support employees when they reach for higher goals in the company. build from within, realize good talent and keep them. stop shutting the door in employees faces.

MicroManagers

I worked at ConforMIS as an intern

Pros

Some of the people were fun to work with and really cared

Cons

The Dangers of Micromanagement

Micromanaging is a method of management in which an individual closely observes or controls the work of an employee. In comparison to simply giving general direction, the micromanager monitors and evaluates every stage in a process, from beginning to end. This behavior negatively affects efficiency, creativity, trust, communication, problem-solving, and the company’s ability to reach its goals.

The typical micromanager spends their time directing employees rather than empowering them. They are often very insecure. They spend more time with the details of business operations instead of planning the company’s short-term and long-term growth strategies. The fact of the matter is, time DOES equal money. When the designated leader of an organization is wasting time (and therefore money) on overseeing projects instead of focusing on specific growth opportunities, it’s time to reevaluate a few things.

There is a huge difference between leadership and simply using one’s title, position and given authority, to exercise political and/or bureaucratic power.

The Dangers of Micromanagement

Worked long hours for uneducated supervisors with no appreciation

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at ConforMIS

Pros

The work is so easy that they can train a monkey to do the job and the pay was ok....that's it.

Cons

You have to be a butt kisser or related to upper management in order to be recognized. Then you can sit around all day doing little or nothing, get paid and be appreciated while the people who are actually busting their butts trying to make deadlines get yelled at for not doing "enough work" and for the littlest mistakes. All the manufacturing supervisors are idiots. They don't have the slightest clue about the job and sit on their butts all day watching YouTube and then they write an occasional email yelling at each other about dumb mistakes that other shifts are doing. They are overpaid dummies who need to be fired. They treat employees so bad and if you go to HR you just get brushed off. HR was suppose to be there help us but they care about the employees being mistreated. Manufacturing department gets treated like stupid little kids but we do the most important job. Without the manufacturing team the company would not be what it is. If they treat their employees better maybe there wouldn't be as much "mistakes" made. I know plenty of people who made some mistakes on purpose just to make upper management mad. Conformis is also THE MOST CHEAPEST company I ever worked for. They never want to give manufacturing anything they're worth but people who work in other departments get special treatment. Tell me why the stockroom/shipping guys get paid more than the manufacturing team when all they do is inventory and sign off packages. Manufacturing is definitely being under appreciated which is why I don't recommend working for those morons. Phillip Lang seems like a good hardworking man but he really needs to put his management team in check or the company will fail miserably.

Fire all 3 manufacturing supervisors and get someone who won't sit on their butts in their office all day writing emails back and forth yelling at each other like little children and have someone who actually cares about their jobs.

They ask too much and understand too little

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Burlington, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Burlington, MA

I worked at ConforMIS

Pros

Innovative technology, will revolutionize knee replacement market(if company doesn't self destruct). Lots of good people among the working class. On the rise in their target market.

Cons

I had three supervisors in the space of less than six months, none of whom were the least bit interested in learning or understanding the position, leading to uninformed, uneducated reviews/decisions regarding my performance.

My "schedule was M-F, 8a-5p. In the three years I worked there, I was rarely out the door prior to six and regularly worked beyond seven. I was also forced to work Saturdays with alarming regularity, with little to no notice and zero regard for any prior commitments that I had.

Despite my willingness to put in at least 10-15hrs of overtime each week, I received no understanding when I needed to only slightly modify my schedule(once in a blue moon) to deal with my childs health/care issues or my own issues following a car accident.

On the three year anniversary of my start date, I was walked due to what I was told was "unsatisfactory job performance" and what I considered to be unsatisfactory staffing and lack of knowledge regarding the demands and workload of the position. Apparently 50-60hrs/week and at one point, 14 of 16 consecutive Saturdays worked was not a satisfactory commitment to the company and my job. They now have two people doing the job they expected me to do on my own. It appears that after my departure, they learned their lesson.

Your employees are the reason you are on such a positive swing in your market. Try to appreciate the sacrifices of home and family they make in order to help ConforMIS into the company that it is and has the potential to become.

If you have people working for you, know what they do, understand their roles, responsibilities and the processes they are forced to comply with to get their job done. If you think an employee is underacheiving, spend some time with them(more than a few minutes or hours). Learn their roadblocks and limits to better understand what they deal with every day and you may realize that their performance is not the problem.

A rapidly growing company in a stable field - great place to work!

I have been working at ConforMIS full-time for less than a year

Pros

*Excellent compensation package
    *Company is still relatively small, so each employee is recognized for their work
    *Flexible work schedules
    *Management team is very competent and invests in their employees
    *Manageable levels of stress

Cons

*SOPs/Work Instructions can be vague and/or unclear
    *Design changes can happen rapidly, with very little advanced notice, which means validations need to be re-done, project completion estimates are pushed out, etc.

Overall, I am very happy at this company. The work is interesting and challenging, the environment is very team-oriented, and the healthcare field is stable and growing. The only couple of things I would suggest would be clearer documentation and better anticipation of needed design changes. Otherwise, I think this company is a great place to work!

Poorly managed company growing too rapidly for its own good.

I worked at ConforMIS

Pros

The technology this company has will definitely be an asset to the medical community if the company can last long enough to be bought by a group with management experience.

Some managers and employees are dedicated and care about their jobs and the direction of the company.

Cons

Qualified personnel are far and few between. Unskilled supervisors and managers in key areas of the company.

Mandatory overtime and regular overworking of employees without regard of them.

Outside training not sponsored by the company.

Very difficult to excel within the company.

Appreciate your employees more and possibly have some incentive programs to encourage a positive work environment.

awesome experience

I have been working at ConforMIS as an intern for less than a year

Pros

rapidly growing company n best environment to work

Cons

Far away from Boston.
    Difficult to commute

Worked for ConforMIS? Contribute to the Community!