ConnectEDU

The Party's O-ver

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I worked at ConnectEDU full-time for more than a year

Pros

Occasional flashes of opportunistic flair in chasing large state contracts. Many good people brought in to suffer the farcical management of directors and officers. Several promising acquisitions made and then bungled or gutted. Potential for turnaround following sack of founder/wastrel/CEO in spring '13. Inexperienced board-picked successor couldn't stop the spending or grow the revenue; gee-wiz until the brutal end on 4/28/14 when CDU filed for Ch 11- really Ch 7. Everyone everyone in Boston office terminated via cowardly after-hours email, 60+ in all.

Cons

Read some of the earlier reviews. You get the gist. Rampant mind-boggling stupidity in pursuit of loose cash at expense of core business.

Directors and big-$$ senior mgrs should contribute to fund assistance to the employees and small investors mauled in this crash.

Extremely Pathetic

I worked at ConnectEDU

Pros

The view out the window

Cons

Make no mistake when reading the reviews. Every layer of the organization was plagued with ignorance, incompetence, stupidity, and complacency. I literally mean everyone. The silly EPs (glorified interns doing basic grunt work) who have never had a real job in their lives strut around the office with such a misguided sense of entitlement that you can't help but laugh. The companies managers were just former EPs who were totally illequiped to do their jobs; zero knowledge and zero resources to train. Technology was lacking in every way. Finance people who can't add. Product people who don't know their product. Sales people who couldn't put together a decent sale (one that didn't make us lose money). Leadership was non-existent... I mean non of these guyknead what it took to lead the company. No one at the senior level knew what their counterpart was doing. There was no transparency, no communication, no strategy, no business acumen, no leadership. Honestly, no one that worked there had any business being in the job they were in! The whole organization was staffed by a bunch of overgrown smelly babies whose only real skill was to complain, complain, complain. If leadership had any idea how to run a successful company they would have fired you lot ages ago.

I hear McDonald's is hiring... you would all be fabulous at the fry-a-lator.

Pretty Simple Really ... New Mgmt Team Was Clueless

Former Employee - Business Analyst  in  Boston, LA
    Former Employee - Business Analyst in Boston, LA

I worked at ConnectEDU full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

It was a great company, with a great mission, dedicated employees, great customers, and growing. And, then ...

Cons

Beyond the posts by the Sr. Mgmt team that ran the Company into the ground (the CEO and the British CFO) or the ones that the mktg dept. posted to try and save face, you'll get the idea. Truth is, the Board didn't have a clue as to what they were doing, they hired a CEO that didn't have a clue as to what he was doing, and the mgmt. team that drove all of the growth in the Company left along with all of the other worthwhile talent. The Board's press release when they announced the new CEO (Evan Nisonson) says it all. And then what happened? You can sum up the new mgmt. team's incompetence in one story - they hired a young lady into the mkting dept., who left her current job to join the team, and then two weeks after she started they laid her off. The then CFO (the good one left along with the rest of the mgmt team) and CEO tried to explain away that the "mistake" was nobody's fault. Exactly the mentality and lack of leadership that ran the Company (previously a growth company) right into the ground. This was a young lady's career. Oh, yea these are the same people that ruined countless other individual's jobs and careers as well.

Own up to your mistakes and the fact that you ran the Company into the ground. The prior mgmt. team drove growth per your own press release. You raised $15M after they left and then ran the business into the ground. And then cowardly fired every employee with an after hours email. Get a spine and stop blaming everyone else for your incompetence and lack of leadership.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Waste of a great opportunity

I worked at ConnectEDU full-time for more than a year

Pros

The only pro I could come up with is how much I learned about how NOT to run a company.

Cons

Hostile and abusive work environment, no sense of teamwork, ever-changing poorly communicated strategy, no management worth anything.

Fire yourselves and hire some competent replacements.

Such a shame -- good things were happening

Current Employee - Project Manager  in  Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Boston, MA

I have been working at ConnectEDU full-time for more than a year

Pros

Incompetent managers are now gone.

Cons

All the good people had the rug pulled out.

Senior management destined to destroy company

I have been working at ConnectEDU full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- Flexibility in work hours
    - Flexibility in remote/office work
    - Excellent benefits package and perks
    - Opportunity to work on projects to build skills

Cons

First, I'd like to address some of the issues brought up with ConnectEDU in a more specific manner. Currently, the mentions of senior management are completely, based on my experiences, true. Senior management fails to provide any real objectives, transparency, or business ethical practices. They are constantly producing more problems than solutions that the talented lower employees have to fix and deal with on a regular basis. Most of the senior managers fail to bring anything real to the table and the current hierarchy of management is absolutely in disarray. Most of the senior managers fail to take responsibility for their poor managing decisions. This is rectified with sporadic lay offs and terminations to lower level employees by selling it to the executive team and board members. Many talented individuals have been released since I have started working here and most as a result of senior management covering their own ass. The majority of senior management is never in the office and when they are, they are either busy having meetings talking about irrelevant, outdated, unobtainable objectives, browsing the internet, or browning it up with executive management. The majority of senior management systemically lies to its employees, its investors, the board, and middle management.

Middle management has really taken the fall because of poor senior level management. Middle managers are constantly pushing long hours, deal with constantly changing deadlines, communication issues, cross departmental problems, and employee layoffs without formidable notice. Where senior management has failed, middle management is constantly picking up the slack. Middle management constantly and frustratingly argues for more transparency, budget information, and a clear line in the sands. None of these are ever delivered in an informative, professional, or even accurate manner. Senior management continues to provide gaps in communication to lower level managers and employees. As a result, deadlines are constantly communicated to lower level employees last minute, causing a need in flexibility for them to even survive. At this rate, management will never catch up to any of the deadlines set up for them or their departments.The business operates ineffectively the majority of the time simply because of the lack of an effective key business principle; communication. Middle management also faces the wrath of a few select senior level VPs and individuals. As mentioned, a few people parade around calling the shots, poor shots, and both senior management and executive management walk behind with a tail between their legs and a leash around their neck.

Lower level employees encompass a wide array of talent less to pure genius individuals. Most of us are still here because one or some of the following reasons: We believe in the mission, by providing students opportunities throughout their education and career, We love the flexibility and opportunity to dip into new areas of the business, We make too much money to leave, We are waiting for payouts or bonuses, We are waiting for the company to fail to retire, We are in no position to leave, We can get away with anything short of murder, or we are too misinformed to know what's really going on. Lower employees end up taking the fall administrated down from middle and upper management, so no fault of middle managers. We are constantly seeing our responsibilities changed, deadlines altered, and taking on others who have been let go or left instead of filling in the resource gaps. If you decide to take a position with ConnectEDU, please be aware that the potential to be axed within 3 weeks of starting is overwhelmingly a possibility. We recently took on a group of new hires, a few of which (to my understanding) were let go before their training was even completed. Meanwhile, senior managers never change, middle managers won't because of their commitment and loyalty, and executive levels are sometimes changed but slowly replaced. The on boarding versus departure ratio, is without any fluff, around 1 to 10. With that, as mentioned, for every 10 people that leave, that's usually sprawled about among anyone even remotely qualified to pick up a portion of their job.

Touching on the professionalism of lay offs and terminations; a number of employees have been let go in the most disgusting of fashions. I personally avoid Human Resources like the plague at every job I ever work because of their two-faced, were here to help bull. But, a number of employees have been being let go mid-week during the middle of the day and being requested to pack their things as everyone in the office just watches. In addition, HR provides an non-existent support system for company moral and employee interest. Events constantly have poor turnout, their newsletter is weak and generic, our monthly meeting provides virtually no information about anything important. We are constantly celebrating everyone's anniversaries at this meeting and fail to have any real discussion about company direction as the office looks more baron every day. Don't rely on HR to take action on your behalf when it comes to conduct adherence, sexual harassment or trouble among coworkers. Since they do such a poor job, they either turn the other cheek or are unable to do anything at the request of senior management. There is a real possibility of violation of state/federal law when it comes to workers rights in relation to sexual harassment and protocol.

To quickly validate other people's complaints:
    - Yes senior management are constantly lying to their insubordinate(s).
    - The slightest descent to senior management 'ideas' is met with a swift hostile reaction.
    - The CEO constantly asks for the advice of less qualified members of the company
    - The CEO recently has become a puppet leader and fails to accomplish or set standards
    - Executive members (minus the new CFO) are incompetent at making good decisions.
    - Communication is by the far, the worst I have ever seen.

Offer a voluntary resignation of your position with full cooperation in helping train and move in a viable replacement. Also, completely throw out the idea that your ideas are any good. The reason the company is where it stands today is because you fail to realize you have absolutely no understanding of this industry, your employees, the requirements and needs of your client-base, and your own personal misunderstanding on basic business principles. Stop blaming the mishaps of your leadership pit falls on the defenseless and own up to your mistakes.

Great potential if only ...

I have been working at ConnectEDU full-time for more than a year

Pros

Very good people working in the trenches, but the remaining senior leadership is weak. Huge potential in the market. HR Dept is professional -- those who have stated otherwise don't understand that HR is cleaning up a mess from its predecessor and can only do what senior management allows.

Cons

Senior management doesn't really understand the business or technology. Communication about strategy and vision is lacking. Some short-term decisions are being made about compensation that will inevitably backfire.

Time to move on and let people who understand ed tech make decisions.

No direction or resources ever provided

I worked at ConnectEDU full-time for more than a year

Pros

There were a few talented people who didn't see the ship sinking in time and lost their jobs.

Cons

Senior management is an absolute joke. There is no direction. The creative director verbally threated the group on the second day of working their after someone quit and was promptly escorted out crying. I should have known it was a sign of things to come. HR was an absolute joke and would do a "formal" review process where they made it up as they went along all while pretending to know the role of the person they were reviewing and disregarding the employees managers review. I am glad I got out when I did. So many others left after I did when they finally got the picture that the ship has sailed. When you get the evil eye for leaving work at 7 while others stay day after day past 10 there is a major issue. If you are approached by this company run away.

If you really care about the educational system leave so people who know what they are doing can do it.

A Company with an Important and Promising Customer Base

I have been working at ConnectEDU full-time for more than a year

Pros

The mission of the company, the customers, and the talented employees. Anyone paying attention to the press coverage for the past year will continue to see the impact ConnectEDU's solutions are having on the education sector.

Cons

The lack of understanding of how much there was to turn around in this company has had a tremendous impact on employee satisfaction. Ex employees calling anyone "despicable" should pretty much validate why they're no longer with the company. It's also incorrect to state that Senior Mgmt is never around. The CEO travels to Boston every week and I think his family would have a real issue with a comment like that considering all the sacrifices they've personally made to make this company successful. I'm not saying there aren't challenges, there definitely are, but I find people genuinely care about their colleagues and the overall success of this business. I also disagree with the comments about the lack of expertise/knowledge in the education sector - people need to do their homework before making blanket statements like that. There are key employees and some mgmt members with impressive backgrounds and relevant experience that are critical to the future of this company.

Keep focused on the talented individuals that are looking to contribute to the success of the business.

Dismal company, environment, and outlook

I have been working at ConnectEDU full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

There are a handful of talented and well meaning individuals. Although compensation varies significantly across the organization, it is fair or exceeds market value for many individuals. Since the new CEO/leadership change, the entire staff is lackadaisical which means great work life balance albeit a sad, sad environment. Ed-tech and entrepreneurship are both "hot" right now.

Cons

Abysmal senior management that doesn't have the chops to turn this ship around. What they have done is uninspired, alienated, and depressed the entire team. Majority of valuable team members have left, other critical team members are in process to leave, and the remaining are planning their departures or holding on because they are overpaid at ConnectEDU.

Lack of middle management means that many Managers and Directors are less than 30 years old with ConnectEDU as their only job experience. Frightening.

Human Resources is the worst. It is truly unimaginable how unproductive, unprofessional, and ridiculous "HR" is. Steer clear of ConnectEDU for this reason alone.

CEO and senior management team should be wiped, except for current CFO.

Worked for ConnectEDU? Contribute to the Community!