Connections Academy

Updated February 17, 2015
Updated February 17, 2015
3.6

Barbara Dreyer

Pros
  • Generous work from home privileges (may vary by department) are a nice perk (in 20 reviews)

• Connections provides excellent work-life balance for the employee with life, health, and financial insurance (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Not a lot of interaction between office staff and work from home staff (in 3 reviews)

• Work long hours without overtime pay (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Great company to work for!

Current Employee - State Testing Specialist in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - State Testing Specialist in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Connections Academy

Pros

Since joining the team at Connections Academy in Oct 2014, I have loved working with company. They are the future of education for students. They offer competitive salaries, great health benefits and time off. It is a perfect blend for those needing a flexible work-life career.

Cons

Wish there were work at home opportunities for all positions.

I have been working at Connections Academy for less than a year.

Current Employee - Online Teacher in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Online Teacher in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at Connections Academy full-time (less than a year)

Pros

I love the work at home option. The support I receive in the office is amazing.

Cons

The work load is different than what I was expecting.

Online teaching

Former Employee - Online Teacher
    Former Employee - Online Teacher

I worked at Connections Academy

Pros

Part time employees can/must work from home. Flexible schedule. No lesson planning (but this is also a con because I was not a huge fan of the curriculum I taught)

Cons

Very low pay, not so great curriculum.

Decent starting job for those in the education field

Current Employee - Academic Placement Advisor in Columbia, MD
    Current Employee - Academic Placement Advisor in Columbia, MD

I have been working at Connections Academy full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Good benefits, paid time off, and options for extra money during the busy season

Cons

Work is repetitive, tasks are not distributed evenly, constantly under a microscope with quality assurance

Have a little more faith in your employees and provide more room for individuality and creativity

Online teacher - lots of data

Current Employee - Online Teacher in Grand Rapids, MI
    Current Employee - Online Teacher in Grand Rapids, MI

I have been working at Connections Academy

Pros

Communication is great. Everything is logged.

Cons

Difficult to get students to attend live lessons

Allow more work from home days. Hard to teach with others talking in the cubical next to you

Positive work environment

I have been working at Connections Academy

Pros

Supportive staff and management.
    Competitive pay, company seems to have unlimited growth potential.

Cons

No cons that I can think of.

Teacher

I have been working at Connections Academy full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Developing company
    Care about employees
    Work with you

Cons

Work from home is not everywhere

Painful. Teachers cry a lot.

I have been working at Connections Academy

Pros

Mileage reimbursement, option to work away from office, easy to get technical support right away. A "pro" for some teachers: you don't actually like being around kids-well here you don't have to!

Cons

If you enjoy spending a large part of your time on phone and email trying to just get hold of your students and their parents and nagging them, then you might like teaching here. You may only see your student in person once or twice IF they show up to an event at all, but uninvolved educators don't mind that.

If you just want a job where you have no creativity and just mentally check in and out each day, then you might like it. But if you are actually passionate and care about your career? Not so much.

It is laughable that there were several really glowing reviews right in a row this week- a good bet it's desperate management trying to counter a growing rotten reputation.

There are plenty of teachers around who don't like the realities of interacting with kids in person and are not passionate about their education careers, so you might want to try just recruiting the drones. You'll have happier employees.

Something different... different works for me!

Current Employee - Elementary Teacher in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Elementary Teacher in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Connections Academy full-time (less than a year)

Pros

After ten years in the bricks and mortar setting, I was looking for something different. I am a teacher, at heart and by nature, but was feeling slightly burnt out and honestly (and sadly) contemplating something outside of teaching. Connections Academy was a blessing in disguise... right from the first email about the interview process - that in my case went extremely quick.

Connections require a bit more work (okay, no lie a ton more work), especially in the beginning - HOWEVER, I still get the interactions with students, I still get to be creative in my lessons and I have support from educators not only in my state, but from the corporate level too. I feel the impact I make, almost more so than in the hustle and bustle of the bricks and mortar setting.

Training is intense but necessary. Trainers from my school and the corporate level, really care... they have so many ideas and are just super supportive.

Cons

Pay. Pay is significantly less, but there are trade-offs - i.e. working from home.

Sometimes the demands and travel of state testing can be stressful because there are still your classroom responsibilities on top of testing responsibilities. BUT state testing in any situation can be stressful, right??

Management, especially in my part of CA is tremendous... kind, approachable and REAL.

PS No on would turn down additional pay ;).

Great alternative to regular teaching.

Current Employee - Secondary Math Teacher
    Current Employee - Secondary Math Teacher

I have been working at Connections Academy full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Working online from home is extremely convenient! And the program is very well done. Curriculum is already set for you, and you spend your teaching time going over concepts that are truly difficult for students. No need to prep for multiple lessons every day! Plus, classroom management problems are much more minimal. Staff and administration are fantastic as well! Love my co-workers.

Cons

Don't think that because it is online you can get away with other things during work hours. You are still extremely busy during the day, you just don't have to be at a school building looking presentable for students :)
    My one major complaint is that the majority of teacher's time is spent analyzing and entering data... Data is great, but it is extremely difficult to find the time to actually TEACH and help students when there is SO MUCH data entry and logging :(

Connections Academy Photos