Connections Academy

Updated December 9, 2014
Updated December 9, 2014
3.4

Barbara Dreyer

Pros
  • Generous work from home privileges (may vary by department) are a nice perk (in 20 reviews)

• Connections provides excellent work-life balance for the employee with life, health, and financial insurance (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Not a lot of interaction between office staff and work from home staff (in 3 reviews)

• Work long hours without overtime pay (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Positive work environment

I have been working at Connections Academy

Pros

Supportive staff and management.
    Competitive pay, company seems to have unlimited growth potential.

Cons

No cons that I can think of.

Teacher

I have been working at Connections Academy full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Developing company
    Care about employees
    Work with you

Cons

Work from home is not everywhere

Compensation

Current Employee - Speech Therapist in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Speech Therapist in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Connections Academy part-time (less than an year)

Pros

For PRN staff, there is a base pay rate for clerical duties and a no show rate that is included. Also, free courses are offered which assist with continuation of license requirements.

Cons

There is a lot of time spent on services that are not billable. in public schools, full time benefits are offered to employees who work at least 20 hrs. a week.

A part time option with benefits for 20 hours a week should be offered since public schools offer this same type of benefit. Also, either a larger base compensation or additional billable options should be included to compensate therapists for planning therapy time, consulting with parents, scheduling, and collaborating with other specialists. The rate for a missed session due to an unexcused absence from a student should be increased since the therapist has already taken the time to plan a session and doesn't have time to fill that slot when the student doesn't show up.

Fantastic company to work for

Current Employee - Elementary Teacher in Englewood, CO
    Current Employee - Elementary Teacher in Englewood, CO

I have been working at Connections Academy full-time (less than an year)

Pros

-Supportive co-workers and administration
    -Office atmosphere is flexible and comfortable. Everyone feels like a family
    -Ability to be a cheerleader for students and their families
    -Opportunity to work at home after a certain amount of time with the company
    -Great benefits including tuition reimbursement, insurance, etc.

Cons

-Lots to learn at the beginning
    -Pay is slightly lower than other schools, but benefits help
    -A bit of an adjustment to go from a classroom to a cubicle

-Better computer equipment that doesn't break down would be appreciated!

Great place to work

Current Employee - Secondary Teacher in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Secondary Teacher in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Connections Academy full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The administration is great. I always feel as though they support their employees. I work from home but feel connected to other employees. There is opportunity for professional growth. They have great benefits. They also have a tuition reimbursement program. I love working from home. The work load is manageable. They have great professional development trainings throughout the year. This has been the best job I have had.

Cons

The pay is less than what I made at my previous jobs. The benefits are a lot better and there are opportunities for bonuses' so that makes up for the low pay. Honestly, it is a great place to work and I do not feel there are many negatives. The hiring process was a little longer than other jobs but it wasn't bad.

Starting pay should be a little higher.

New job

Current Employee - Teacher in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Teacher in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Connections Academy full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I really enjoy working at Indiana Connections Academy. The job allows for a lot of freedom with teaching. My kids are able to learn at their own pace and I can easily assist them one-on-one or small group. The benefits are amazing- the best I've ever heard of. The work-life balance is one of the best parts. I am no longer grading papers till midnight. I can also work at home during the day.

Cons

You have to be out of town a lot during testing season. However, your like or dislike depends on how much you like being away from home.

Something different... different works for me!

Current Employee - Elementary Teacher in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Elementary Teacher in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Connections Academy full-time (less than an year)

Pros

After ten years in the bricks and mortar setting, I was looking for something different. I am a teacher, at heart and by nature, but was feeling slightly burnt out and honestly (and sadly) contemplating something outside of teaching. Connections Academy was a blessing in disguise... right from the first email about the interview process - that in my case went extremely quick.

Connections require a bit more work (okay, no lie a ton more work), especially in the beginning - HOWEVER, I still get the interactions with students, I still get to be creative in my lessons and I have support from educators not only in my state, but from the corporate level too. I feel the impact I make, almost more so than in the hustle and bustle of the bricks and mortar setting.

Training is intense but necessary. Trainers from my school and the corporate level, really care... they have so many ideas and are just super supportive.

Cons

Pay. Pay is significantly less, but there are trade-offs - i.e. working from home.

Sometimes the demands and travel of state testing can be stressful because there are still your classroom responsibilities on top of testing responsibilities. BUT state testing in any situation can be stressful, right??

Management, especially in my part of CA is tremendous... kind, approachable and REAL.

PS No on would turn down additional pay ;).

Great alternative to regular teaching.

Current Employee - Secondary Math Teacher
    Current Employee - Secondary Math Teacher

I have been working at Connections Academy full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Working online from home is extremely convenient! And the program is very well done. Curriculum is already set for you, and you spend your teaching time going over concepts that are truly difficult for students. No need to prep for multiple lessons every day! Plus, classroom management problems are much more minimal. Staff and administration are fantastic as well! Love my co-workers.

Cons

Don't think that because it is online you can get away with other things during work hours. You are still extremely busy during the day, you just don't have to be at a school building looking presentable for students :)
    My one major complaint is that the majority of teacher's time is spent analyzing and entering data... Data is great, but it is extremely difficult to find the time to actually TEACH and help students when there is SO MUCH data entry and logging :(

New teacher. My staff has been absolutely wonderful to work with. Very supportive and forgiving. I love the students!

Current Employee - Secondary Teacher in Woods Cross, UT
    Current Employee - Secondary Teacher in Woods Cross, UT

I have been working at Connections Academy full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Time flexibility. Working with unique, talented, and alternative students.

Cons

The data is extremely overwhelming and in excess. There are so many things that could be done in one click action on the computer vs. 10 clicks. Several things are not linked together, but should be to save hours of time! This time could be spent more wisely helping students on their lessons, which is so needed with online schooling. With the load of students a teacher has, and the limited amount of time we have during the work day because of data requirements, and limited time in live lesson rooms, it's impossible to help students the way you should and like you can in a brick and mortar school, not even close.

Cut back on the required amount of DATA! I realize it is important, however, it could be done so much more efficiently and faster if everything was linked together or if the info was condensed into less links. Teacher's time MUST be spent more wisely helping students on their lessons, which is so needed with online schooling. With the load of students a teacher has, and the limited amount of time we have during the work day because of data requirements, and limited time in live lesson rooms, it's impossible to help students the way you should and like you can in a brick and mortar school, not even close.

Good job but not as described. More time is spent grading/dealing with paperwork then any other aspect of the job.

Current Employee - Teacher
    Current Employee - Teacher

I have been working at Connections Academy full-time

Pros

Flexible, Less planing then a traditional classroom, Principal is amazing

Cons

work load is more then described, compensation is less then in a traditional classroom, often rules seem to get in the way of good teaching

Work load is not balanced and employees who work more then others (with workload coeffiencients of over 1) are not compensated for it.

Connections Academy Photos