Connex

Updated July 14, 2014
Updated July 14, 2014
3.7

Benjamin Collins

Open, fun work environment with some kinks to work out

I have been working at Connex

Pros

Being a small company, employees quickly get to know each other, and develop close bonds. The work atmosphere is fun and open, with a lot of friendly banter between coworkers and opportunities to relax and unwind a bit. Commission structure is attractive and not unreasonable, with fun desirable quarterly incentives. Advancement is based purely on performance, so top performers quickly get promotions/raises. Employees are given a lot of independence, with focus being more on results than the nitty details. Office is located in central business district near Wall Street, close to transportation and lots of places to go for lunch.

Cons

Management uses a very open, honest employee feedback system, and won't hesitate to openly call employees out on mistakes/poor performance. This can be pretty hard on people not used to it. Being a relatively young company, there's still a lot of details to be worked out, and health doesn't kick in until 3 months.

Focus more on being constructive with employees.

Solid Company - Smart Leadership

Former Employee - Senior Consultant  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant in New York, NY

I worked at Connex full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good pace to learn. Rewards & compensation are very fair if you put the time in. Money was good and I can't complain about that. Very reasonable hours / no weekends really. Easy place to work if you do what's asked of you. I liked the staff there...funny bunch of good people.

Cons

Still a young Co. While they have great ideas and they're slowly implementing them, they still haven't gotten to the place they want. They are definitely smart people moving in the right direction, but still not over the hump. Guaranteed when they get there, this will be a top notch Co. Personally, had I not needed to relocate for an ill parent, no way I leave there. I will stay in touch w. the Partners and hopefully do something down the road w. them.

Be as patient w. your employees as they are with you owners while we all see the long term plan. The good employees really want it to be a great place. Keep believing in what you guys are doing, if you ever go public, I'm investing. Thanks for the past 4+ years- I learned a ton. For good & bad...I really will miss you guys.

Smart People, Complex Business, Tough Culture

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Connex full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Working here will put you alongside some really smart people who will have no hesitation in calling you out on mistakes. As a result you learn a lot about yourself and improve rapidly. The training is excellent and continues to be an area of focus for senior management. Most employees are happy and enjoy coming to work. The average tenure of employees is in multi-years even amongst the sales staff. For the right people it is a great place to build a career and is a highly meritocratic environment where there is a lot of room for advancement.

Cons

The flip side of working with smart, direct managers is that it can be very hard for some people not to take it personally. If you are sensitive this is a bad place to work and I have seen employees struggle with that. If you think criticism should be only be behind closed doors then you shouldn't work here as managers and even employees will call out your mistakes and weaknesses openly. Their business is complex and mixes consulting, business information and sales and marketing services.

Screen harder for Culture and Values in your interview process. Continue to remove those that do not fit into the environment. The firm has a got a lot better in the last few years as those employees whose values do not align with the company culture are removed. Try and make your business less complex!

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Extremely professional, successful organization.

Former Employee - Senior Consultant  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant in New York, NY

I worked at Connex full-time for more than a year

Pros

Well organized, solid management, good environment, platform for success, happy employees. Good pay structure and room to move up. They train you well, have happy clients, and seem to always take care of any major issues before they arise. Getting the job is not easy, but if you get in, most of their staff has been there for 3 years and counting. Good incentives keep you motivated, and the support is extraordinary.

Cons

Very selective of whom they hire, so sometimes the success is hard to keep up with given limited staff. Makes for a better office environment however, and they are growing. I wouldn't have left if my life long dream did not materialize.

Continue to stick to your word and keep the entrepreneurial spirit even as you grow.

Great Company and Great Mentors

Former Employee - Account Executive  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Account Executive in New York, NY

I worked at Connex full-time for more than a year

Pros

This is a great place to learn and build a career. It is a sales driven culture and managers in particular can be very direct in their feedback. It can be hard to hear but in the 2 years I was there I learnt an enormous amount. Senior leadership is very accessible and open to ideas and criticism. In my time I saw people come in and get promotions in less that a year so definitely lots of room for advancement. I also saw the company improve a lot in my time there, sales definitely grew a lot and their product improved and became more consistent.

Cons

I did see some people struggle with the feedback, which can be very blunt. I think sometimes the leadership can get a little stretched and they could use another senior manager.

Continue to focus on improving the meetings and improve your web-presence to help people understand what it is you do. Find ways to create more positive feedback as well as critical feedback.

Worst Company I've Ever a Worked For!

I worked at Connex full-time

Pros

Absolutely none. Avoid this employer even if you're desperate.

Cons

Where to begin; the most disrespectful, egotistical, arrogant and misguided management on the planet. The management claims to create an "environment of excellence" and brags about their culture of "brutally honest" feedback. At least the brutal part is true. The rest is smoke and mirrors and self rationalization. There's little to no training. Instead new employees are thrown to the wolves to sink or swim on their own in a culture fraught with dishonesty, rampant lying, CYA tactics and backstabbing. The so-called lucrative bonus structure Is virtually unobtainable with impossible, constantly moving targets. The top management is crude, rude and routinely trample over labor laws, particularly when it comes to discrimination. They relentlessly clock watch and demand ludicrous hours for minimal pay and benefits. Don't buy their recruiting spiel - it's mostly a sham. Sr. Management records every employee's phone calls and there is 0 privacy. They curse, call employees names and in once instance the CEO threatened to hit an employee after calling him a liar and every 4 letter word in the book in front of the entire office. The next day he ordered the office manager to "use that software we installed" to pull up all the employees phone calls so he "could get that ...... " (fill in the blank). Management thrives on publicly humiliating employees for even minor errors. They routinely lie with their essential sales pitch amounting to tell prospective targets anything they want to hear. This is not a place you want to work!

Try applying some of that "brutally honest feedback" to yourselves.

Questionably Ethical "Sales Driven" Culture

I worked at Connex full-time for more than a year

Pros

Connex provides employees a lot of autonomy.
    Attending conferences was exciting and I developed a strong network within a specific industry while I worked there.

Cons

If you are not in sales, management doesn't really know how to empower or coach you, as the company is entirely "sales driven".
    Under the pretense of honesty and an open-culture, management and other employees feel entitled to give negative, and sometimes untrue feedback.

You are a conference company, not a consulting firm - you should be honest to your employees and clients on what you do.

Great experience if you're wired just like them

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Connex full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

young(ish) employee base, made good friends, able to see a lot of the business (finance, accounting, HR, operations, sales, etc.). Because it's a small firm, you have access to almost everyone.

Cons

The owners don't really care about their employees, they care about sales. Period. They are unethical, they lie, they steal, they don't have any loyalty except to money. They are loyal to money. Sales drives decisions, regardless of ethics, operational efficiency, public opinion, client requests, etc.

Treat PEOPLE not EMPLOYEES. Have a longer-term vision in sight. Making short-sighted decisions doesn't help with the long term sustainability of the company or of loyal employees.

Worked for Connex? Contribute to the Community!