Connex Reviews

3.5
Benjamin Collins

1. Excellent Leadership / Great Company

I worked at Connex full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

In my time at Connex, I learned more about "sales" than any other company I ever worked for. Now a VP, I credit my success to David Martinelli, CSO/COO of Connex. I can speak for many current and ex employees when I say Dave will put you to work, but is working even harder alongside you. He is the most likable, hard working, and most importantly FAIR boss I ever worked for. I attribute my success today from watching and learning Dave's exceptional sales ability in action. He truly is the engine of Connex's salesforce. I strongly believe that anyone lucky enough to work under Dave's leadership will thrive and find nothing but success at Connex.

Cons

My commute was one of the only reasons I left the company. In regards to Dave Martinelli, some may say "it's his way, or the highway" which can be perceived as a true statement, but most of the time he is right, so people did listen and respected him even more for that.

2. Flexible nimble place to grow and learn

Former Employee - Technical Specialist, E-learning in Burnsville, MN
    Former Employee - Technical Specialist, E-learning in Burnsville, MN

I worked at Connex full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

A young entrepreneurial firm that promotes a lot of growth and learning. You may be sent around the world to train, or helping the CEO with his business plan, or running cabling up to the roof to set up surveillance testing. Whatever you want to learn here, you can give it your best shot and grow from it.

Cons

Up and down financially, sometimes subscriptions, and applications were canceled due to budgeting challenges. Sometimes promises from management go unfulfilled.

Advice to Management

Try to add more benefits such as 401 (k) employee computer purchase plan or discount plan, etc.

Open, fun work environment with some kinks to work out

I have been working at Connex

Pros

Being a small company, employees quickly get to know each other, and develop close bonds. The work atmosphere is fun and open, with a lot of friendly banter between coworkers and opportunities to relax and unwind a bit. Commission structure is attractive and not unreasonable, with fun desirable quarterly incentives. Advancement is based purely on performance, so top performers quickly get promotions/raises. Employees are given a lot of independence, with focus being more on results than the nitty details. Office is located in central business district near Wall Street, close to transportation and lots of places to go for lunch.

Cons

Management uses a very open, honest employee feedback system, and won't hesitate to openly call employees out on mistakes/poor performance. This can be pretty hard on people not used to it. Being a relatively young company, there's still a lot of details to be worked out, and health doesn't kick in until 3 months.

Advice to Management

Focus more on being constructive with employees.

Solid Company - Smart Leadership

I worked at Connex full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good pace to learn. Rewards & compensation are very fair if you put the time in. Money was good and I can't complain about that. Very reasonable hours / no weekends really. Easy place to work if you do what's asked of you. I liked the staff there...funny bunch of good people.

Cons

Still a young Co. While they have great ideas and they're slowly implementing them, they still haven't gotten to the place they want. They are definitely smart people moving in the right direction, but still not over the hump. Guaranteed when they get there, this will be a top notch Co. Personally, had I not needed to relocate for an ill parent, no way I leave there. I will stay in touch w. the Partners and hopefully do something down the road w. them.

Advice to Management

Be as patient w. your employees as they are with you owners while we all see the long term plan. The good employees really want it to be a great place. Keep believing in what you guys are doing, if you ever go public, I'm investing. Thanks for the past 4+ years- I learned a ton. For good & bad...I really will miss you guys.

Worst Company I've Ever a Worked For!

I worked at Connex full-time

Pros

Absolutely none. Avoid this employer even if you're desperate.

Cons

Where to begin; the most disrespectful, egotistical, arrogant and misguided management on the planet. The management claims to create an "environment of excellence" and brags about their culture of "brutally honest" feedback. At least the brutal part is true. The rest is smoke and mirrors and self rationalization. There's little to no training. Instead new employees are thrown to the wolves to sink or swim on their own in a culture fraught with dishonesty, rampant lying, CYA tactics and backstabbing. The so-called lucrative bonus structure Is virtually unobtainable with impossible, constantly moving targets. The top management is crude, rude and routinely trample over labor laws, particularly when it comes to discrimination. They relentlessly clock watch and demand ludicrous hours for minimal pay and benefits. Don't buy their recruiting spiel - it's mostly a sham. Sr. Management records every employee's phone calls and there is 0 privacy. They curse, call employees names and in once instance the CEO threatened to hit an employee after calling him a liar and every 4 letter word in the book in front of the entire office. The next day he ordered the office manager to "use that software we installed" to pull up all the employees phone calls so he "could get that ...... " (fill in the blank). Management thrives on publicly humiliating employees for even minor errors. They routinely lie with their essential sales pitch amounting to tell prospective targets anything they want to hear. This is not a place you want to work!

Advice to Management

Try applying some of that "brutally honest feedback" to yourselves.

Extremely professional, successful organization.

Former Employee - Senior Consultant in New York, NY

I worked at Connex full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Well organized, solid management, good environment, platform for success, happy employees. Good pay structure and room to move up. They train you well, have happy clients, and seem to always take care of any major issues before they arise. Getting the job is not easy, but if you get in, most of their staff has been there for 3 years and counting. Good incentives keep you motivated, and the support is extraordinary.

Cons

Very selective of whom they hire, so sometimes the success is hard to keep up with given limited staff. Makes for a better office environment however, and they are growing. I wouldn't have left if my life long dream did not materialize.

Advice to Management

Continue to stick to your word and keep the entrepreneurial spirit even as you grow.

Questionably Ethical "Sales Driven" Culture

I worked at Connex full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Connex provides employees a lot of autonomy. Attending conferences was exciting and I developed a strong network within a specific industry while I worked there.

Cons

If you are not in sales, management doesn't really know how to empower or coach you, as the company is entirely "sales driven". Under the pretense of honesty and an open-culture, management and other employees feel entitled to give negative, and sometimes untrue feedback.

Advice to Management

You are a conference company, not a consulting firm - you should be honest to your employees and clients on what you do.

Great experience if you're wired just like them

I worked at Connex full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

young(ish) employee base, made good friends, able to see a lot of the business (finance, accounting, HR, operations, sales, etc.). Because it's a small firm, you have access to almost everyone.

Cons

The owners don't really care about their employees, they care about sales. Period. They are unethical, they lie, they steal, they don't have any loyalty except to money. They are loyal to money. Sales drives decisions, regardless of ethics, operational efficiency, public opinion, client requests, etc.

Advice to Management

Treat PEOPLE not EMPLOYEES. Have a longer-term vision in sight. Making short-sighted decisions doesn't help with the long term sustainability of the company or of loyal employees.

RSS Feed </> Embed