ConocoPhillips

ConocoPhillips Reviews

Updated Jul 22, 2014

ConocoPhillips Chairman & CEO Ryan M. Lance

Ryan M. Lance

Pros
  • In the Conoco days, the company was great - family-friendly, cared about employees and work/life balance(in 24 reviews)

• work life balance and good benefits(in 20 reviews)

Cons
  • My wellbeing and work life balance is considerably better at my new employer(in 7 reviews)

• Large company so you are a "cog in the machine" at low level(in 9 reviews)

Pleasing place to work

ProsTreat employees fairly, good benifits

ConsSometime the work can be stressful

Too much politics

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Bartlesville, OK

ProsThe money is good especially if you're coming in as an experienced hire. The potential for advancement is up to you and what your goals and interests are.

ConsThis is an oil company. If you don't mind what that entails then you're fine. However there's too much involvement in their political views which are spoon fed to the workers here in the US.
    I like to come to work to work not to engage and immerse myself in the government politics of the moment.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe management needs to realize that some topics have nothing to do with the work at hand and they need to push the idea that although everyone should have their own opinion the workplace may not necessarily be the place to express ones personal lifestyle or political views.

Great compensation and benefits

ProsChallenging environment, great peers to work with!

ConsVery little opportunities for advancement.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good Place to work

Analyst (Current Employee) Bartlesville, OK

ProsInteresting work. Good benefits and compensation.

ConsLocated in a small town where there are few good places to eat or things to do. If you are young and single this might not be the best place for you.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest more in making this community a desirable place to live.

My internship was an unparalleled learning experience.

Intern (Former Employee)

ProsCOP has a great sense of morale amongst employees and places a high emphasis on personal development. Senior management takes a serious interest in developing interns. Also, the compensation was very good.

ConsAs is the case with all big companies, there is a lot of bureaucracy. Though there are advantages to this system of governance, I can see how some lower level employees may find it difficult to climb the corporate ladder.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to invest time and energy developing interns.

Great Culture

IT Intern (Former Employee) Bartlesville, OK

ProsAs an intern, I was tasked with helping lead a certain area of an implementation project. My managers gave me a long leash and let me work autonomously while providing guidance exactly when I needed it. My group was laid back and incredibly easy to work with and I saw little to no conflict within the group. The internship program was amazing -- a bit like summer camp with the added bonus of being well-compensated as well as given the opportunity to participate in the stock plans/401k. Bottom line, it was absolutely incredible.

ConsMy internship was based on Bartlesville, OK (not the most exciting place for a 20-something to begin their career). Career paths were a little ambiguous and it seemed like the expectation was that once employees start working there they don't ever leave.

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide a little more guidance when it comes to career growth and opportunities. Other than that, keep doing what you're doing.

Excellent benefits and long term employer.

Multi-skilled Operator (Current Employee) Decatur, TX

ProsReally like the way people are treated and the fact that one has so much time for their families. Well balanced hours and awesome raises. They are changing the culture and are hiring more from within which is why we work so hard.

ConsSometimes paperwork can be overwhelming but its to cover their butt in case something happens. They call it good faith papers but we all know it can come back and become your worst enemy.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work. I could not be happier in my position.

Pleasing

Geo Tech (Current Employee) Houston, TX

ProsGood Values, culture and character

ConsNo Competitive pay, no flexible work schedule

Was awesome when it was Conoco, but then Phillips had to ruin it.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsIn the Conoco days, the company was great - family-friendly, cared about employees and work/life balance.

ConsAfter the Phillips 66 takeover, the company went downhill fast. So political and full of self-promoting-at-any-cost people.

Advice to Senior ManagementChange culture so that people feel like they matter, instead of being just a number.

I wanted a career not just a job

Anonymous (Former Employee)

ProsCoworkers, customers, employment, busy, supervisor

ConsManagement, wages, environment, no raises, having to work double shifts

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your employers better

Worked for ConocoPhillips? Contribute to the Community!