ConocoPhillips

ConocoPhillips Reviews

Updated Jul 22, 2014

ConocoPhillips Chairman & CEO Ryan M. Lance

Ryan M. Lance

Pros
  • In the Conoco days, the company was great - family-friendly, cared about employees and work/life balance(in 24 reviews)

• work life balance and good benefits(in 20 reviews)

Cons
  • My wellbeing and work life balance is considerably better at my new employer(in 7 reviews)

• Large company so you are a "cog in the machine" at low level(in 9 reviews)

conocophillips review for glassdoor

Natural Gas Scheduler East Cu (Former Employee) Houston, TX

Prosexcellent at having life work balance

Consnone to mention as this is a good company

Advice to Senior Managementhelp your people gorw

Fantastic experience

IT Manager (Current Employee) Bartlesville, OK

ProsExciting company, in the midst of transformation. Aggressive growth, and high rewards. Great work-life balance, great benefits, good culture.

Since the company split (Phillips 66 is the new, separate downstream company), the company is reinventing itself as a low-risk, high-return company.

ConsSomewhat bureaucratic, but normal for a large company. Somewhat challenging to interact with colleagues across the globe, or even understand what's going on in other areas of the business.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep it up. Very happy to be part of the team.

Contracts Administrator for Turn Around in Santa Maria, CA

Contract Specialist (Former Employee) Santa Maria, CA

ProsEveryone talks about the future a person can have with ConocoPhillips

ConsThey were overloaded with work, that no one wanted to take time to give basic instructions. Other than showing someone where the bathroom was, nothing. The underlying problem was they had a change over to SAP and no one in the location had a thorough knowledge of how to teach the system and when you would contact someone in Bartlesville they lacked the time to work a person through the usage of the part of the system that pertained to just procurement. I spent some 6 weeks their and spent most of my time in contemplation trying to fine a base from which I could then expand to be a productive team player.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't take that southern attitude that people are lazy and you can keep firing people until you finally get someone who is just a good ole boy. We are all teachers and students and not taking time to learn and instruct, ruins a company's bottom line of profitability. Work on having a low turn over and not fostering the attitude through out they company that temp's are second class citizens.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

It's political, but the work is rewarding.

Contractor (Former Employee) Bartlesville, OK

ProsI enjoyed the work and the resources the company provided in order to be successful.

ConsI did not like the politics and how there was office bullying in the department. If your group has over thirty analysts and associates, then watch out for clicks.

Advice to Senior ManagementI'm optimistic about this company, but see many things that need to change in order before people will be truly satisfied with their jobs.

its was just ok company was better under Phillips management

Maintenance Lead (Former Employee) Houston, TX

Prosgood pay insurance and profit sharing

Constoo political to get promotion

Advice to Senior Managementlook at inside employees that qualify

Part-time vs full-time descrimination

Category Analyst (Former Employee) Houston, TX

ProsGreat Campus, Good facility (safe)

ConsPolitics, Red Tape, Descrimination, Bias....

Advice to Senior ManagementYou need to keep a tighter leash on your hiring managers when they hire people (as they seem to have favoritism (known people), descrimination (sex and color), and bias.... Also, tend to look down upon contracts, and they feel that they are unfit to be hired permenantly......

Summer Intern Non-Traditional

SAP Tech Logistics (Former Employee) Bartlesville, OK

ProsGreat overall company and culture.

ConsSome departments are not prepared for an intern.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't put intern in positions with people who have never had interns before by themselves. The managers themselves should have a mentor to make sure they handle the intern propperly

Good experience at global oil

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosglobal, diverse, meritocratic, interesting industry to work in, solid player in the industry, good office culture, easy to fit in, good work life balance

Conslack of opportunities in the UK sometimes limit career prospects, lack of risk taking, sometimes burocratic, difficult to move around different locations

Company need to think and do B'ig"

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsNice and generally warm work atmosphere. Seeing the soccer pitch in the complex on the day of my interview and I thought this is heaven. Safety culture is unique.

ConsSome level of internal wrangling and occasionally toxic and charged atmosphere. Company should not embark on a project if they are not 100% sure they will see it to the end

Advice to Senior ManagementI was hired to help move an emerging technology from the lab to the field for full commercialization. Unfortunately for me, I'd the misfortune of working in a very small team with a couple hired (before me) heading the key projects. Initially there was just 3-4 of us. I decided on my exit date only after three months. What was meant to be exciting projects was turned upside down and a bulk of the program was scaled-back after the restructuring / split in mid-2012. And that was after one of the couple was fired, and the other spouse choose to leave several months after. I took a risk when I joined the company but it was unfortunate that management did not do their homework before initiating the projects. Managers should also learn to manage the egos of their team members, especially in a team filled with recent PhDs who to an extent, are feeling insecure, and the only way to move up is to "step" on one another.

It was beautiful

Lubricants Department Intern (Former Employee) Houston, TX

ProsPeople are friendly and helpful. If you're diligent in your work, you can see good promotion.

ConsInternational students rarely get a callback offer

Worked for ConocoPhillips? Contribute to the Community!