ConocoPhillips Reviews

Reset
3.9
ConocoPhillips Chairman & CEO Ryan M. Lance
Ryan M. Lance

Pros
  • work life balance and good benefits (in 25 reviews)

• Great benefits and retirement planning--generous company matching of my IRA contribution (in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance is a challenge for some groups (in 7 reviews)

• Large company with more bureaucracy than needed (in 10 reviews)

1. Company review

I have been working at ConocoPhillips full-time

Pros

Great company, I have worked for them for about 14 years. I would recommend them to anyone

Cons

Not enough opportunities for someone with out a degree

2. ConocoPhillips Pipeline Company (Now Phillips 66)

Former Employee - Engineering Intern in East Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Engineering Intern in East Houston, TX

I worked at ConocoPhillips (Less than a year)

Pros

Great internship program. Project was not up to snuff, but as with any internship program, it's what you make with your free time that counts.

Cons

It's a big organization - make sure you surround yourself with challenging people.

3. Company

Former Employee - IT Analyst in Midland, TX
    Former Employee - IT Analyst in Midland, TX

I worked at ConocoPhillips

Pros

Very Good Company with excellent benefits

Cons

Career Development it could be hard

5. Good Job

Current Employee - Associate Drilling Engineer in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Associate Drilling Engineer in Houston, TX

I have been working at ConocoPhillips full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great culture, lots of perks. Nice gyms, great benefits. Very good starting salary, but the bonuses are not the best in the industry.

Cons

In the recent downturn, they layed a lot of people off only to hire back just as many because they didn't want to go back on their offers. It doesn't make you feel particularly valued or safe for the next round of lay-offs. Lots of management. Even though they are the "Largest" independent, they still operate like a Major. Though they do seem to realize this and are working towards being more like an independent.

Sr. Reservoir Engineering Technican

Current Employee - Senior Reservoir Engineering Technician L48-East in Houston, TX

I have been working at ConocoPhillips full-time (More than a year)

Pros

ConocoPhillips is a wonderful company to work for. I have worked here for a very long time and it has truly grown over the years; even with the ups and downs in the oil business. Conoco still continues to be #1 in the industry in my opinion. I have always been treated well here, respected by my peers, and been able to work hard and contribute what I know to be a proactive part of any team, voice my opinion, and help to streamline processes where I can. I love the fact that even though I am assigned to a specific team, I have the freedom to branch out and help just about any team that needs my help! I learn a lot from others by having this type of freedom and I can still support the people I work for and help others as well.

Cons

The oil market overall is and has been downsizing for some time now due to pricing. That is the scary part of working in this business. You never know if you are going to be laid off or not in the next round of layoffs. It's a very devastating feeling that lingers in your mind and it does affect you. I don't care what anyone says it's on just about every person's mind as we go through these hard times. I was around in the 80's/90's when we went through this then and have seen hundreds of my co-workers laid off. I have some friends that were laid off in 2014 that still cannot find work. Good people, hard workers. It's very sad.

Advice to Management

I will never forget when they closed the Corpus Christi office. I was there for that layoff and office closing. That was devastating to a huge majority of employees. But I will say this...the Main Division Manager there, made the statement to all those that were laid off that he would NOT leave the office/close it until he knew that every person that was laid off had some type of job opportunity presented to them. And he did just what he said he would do. Let's me know the kind of integrity he had; his caring attitude that He wanted no one to be left without hope and a chance to have the opportunity of some kind to work. Even though it may not of been in the same position or job function. He made a way for them, and that says a lot about a person. There were only 40 of us that transferred to Louisiana back then from the entire Corpus office. Times now are similar to back then, the industry is suffering and people are getting laid off. Companies are being forced to restructure, reorganize employees and job positions. Don't forget that people that have been here for a long time, they contribute a lot to this company. They have a LOT of knowledge and so to say, "Been around the block a few times!". Many of us mentor and help those newly hired young Engineers and Geologists right out of college. We know things they don't. Even though I'm not an quote "Engineer" I know a lot and without my help and people like me, these new younger people are lost at times because there is so much to learn. That is why teamwork is SO important. No one person is an island, it takes all of us contributing to keep our company #1. We can do this as long as we all work together.

7. Good, not yet great.

I have been working at ConocoPhillips full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

COP has great values and supports safe operations. Good heritage company and heritage assets. Has good people that for the most part want to do the right thing.

Cons

They are currently confused on how to act like an independent in downturn. They still don't treat people as their best resource, seem to value shareholders and execs much more than anything else. Good in good times, but in downturns layoff big.

Advice to Management

Value people as your best asset. Act like an independent as that is what you are now.

8. Great Company with Big Problems

Current Employee - Anonymous in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Houston, TX

I have been working at ConocoPhillips full-time (More than a year)

Pros

overall great co-workers
    good learning experience

Cons

work life balance
    managers under-worked and over-paid

Advice to Management

Don't be slow to work and quick to take credit for the work of subordinates. Recognize hard work and talent and genuinely work to retain talent. Don't just talk about it

9. Not too bad.

Current Employee - Drilling Engineer in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Drilling Engineer in Houston, TX

I have been working at ConocoPhillips full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Good salary/benefits. Good peer group, reasonable medical insurance.

Cons

Horrid middle management. Field personnel are some of the most uneducated in the industry.

Advice to Management

Continue to see the long term with oil and gas. if you get rid of too many people there will be no one left when oil comes back.

10. Great place to work

Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Houston, TX

I have been working at ConocoPhillips (More than a year)

Pros

Great people and a pretty good overall environment

Cons

Tend toward bureaucracy and an over abundance of political correctness

Advice to Management

The new price environment is a good chance to make shifts in our culture and shed some of the bulk. The only way to really achieve this is to make real changes to our processes.

11. Prepare invoices and account statements according to established procedures

Current Employee - Business Operations Manager in Beckville, TX
    Current Employee - Business Operations Manager in Beckville, TX

I have been working at ConocoPhillips full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great opportunity to gain experience to manage a business

Cons

No scope of self integration

RSS Feed </> Embed