ConocoPhillips

Updated December 19, 2014
3.9

ConocoPhillips Chairman & CEO Ryan M. Lance
Ryan M. Lance

Pros
  • Great pay, benefits while still having work-life balance (in 25 reviews)

• Great benefits and retirement planning--generous company matching of my IRA contribution (in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • My wellbeing and work life balance is considerably better at my new employer (in 7 reviews)

• Large company so you are a "cog in the machine" at low level (in 10 reviews)

More Highlights

Satisfaction all depends on your work group, department and location. As it is with all employers.

Current Employee - Human Resources in Bartlesville, OK
    Current Employee - Human Resources in Bartlesville, OK

I have been working at ConocoPhillips full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Pretty good Benefits
    Good strategic planning

Cons

Lack of career development and promotion from within.

Bad Experience. Not an open door atmosphere with Managers.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bartlesville, OK
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bartlesville, OK

I have been working at ConocoPhillips full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The on-site gym is awesome. The company is very health conscious and competitive in sports.

Cons

If you are over the age of 23 and were not a college recruit, and do not live in Bartlesville, you will go no where.

Managers and Supervisors do lie, but I think you already know this. Look at the situation and if problems began with a new supervisor who used to be a co-worker, maybe the problem does lie with the supervisor and their actions as a co-worker. Co-workers knows how a fellow co-worker performed their jobs, and they also know if they are male or female biased.

Managers need SPIRIT Values training!

I worked at ConocoPhillips full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The benefits are really good and the pay is decent, too.

Cons

Managers that have been with the company awhile are in dire need of soft skills training. I worked there nearly 7 years and the way my manager spoke to me and my colleagues was so condescending and rude. We all ended up leaving her team, and I am pretty sure all our complaints to HR did nothing, because she was promoted after we left!

Review common complaints from existing employees with HR, so you can train the managers and stop losing employees in your HR department.

Great

Current Employee - Analyst in Bartlesville, OK
    Current Employee - Analyst in Bartlesville, OK

I have been working at ConocoPhillips full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great for a career in accounting

Cons

communication a struggle sometimes, but not bad.

nothing

Great company to work for, very employee focused.

Current Employee - Project Manager in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Houston, TX

I have been working at ConocoPhillips full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

CoP is a great place to work. Its a very company oriented company with great benefits including a multi-million dollar fitness center complete with full size gymnasium, lap pool, soccer field, jogging trail, great weight room, large cardio room, and several class/workout rooms for spin classes, zumba classes, etc... The 9/80 program allows employess to be off every other Friday and flex hours give the employees to arrive and leave work on their own schedule. CoP is in the process of building a day care facility across the street from the main campus. The company airplane shuttle allows employees to travel to the most common destination without having to go through the hassles of the airport terminal. From what I can tell compensation is competitive. With locations all over the world, there are lots of opportunities.

Cons

Living and working in traffic-centric Houston makes the work/life balance more difficult than at some of the companies smaller sites, many of which also have very nice fitness facilities and programs. CoP is a large corporation and suffers from much of the red tape that keeps the company from responding quickly to changes in the business environment and stifles individual creativity and risk taking.

The best leaders ar not always the ones who can talk the most and the loudest.

Very Fair

Former Employee - N/A in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - N/A in Houston, TX

I worked at ConocoPhillips full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Friendly people, very respectful towards people, a lot of opportunity for career change, good base salary and wonderful benefits.

Cons

Conservative "Texas" culture, very hierarchical (levels start at 10 and go up to 30 something), lack of trust and lots of micromanagement.

Create a much flatter organization.

I worked at ConocoPhillips full-time

Pros

Good pay and benefits.
    Great Goals and Values ON PAPER!!

Cons

Great Company but the Technology organization is everything but Technology. Hands down it's a mess!
    In technology, managers are hired by the "top technology guy" (his old Gangs), unqualified people.
    Suggesting good and productive ideas is an act of suicide. DO NOT Do smart things, or will be viewed by your manager as a threat. Never question your boss if he is coming to work at 10 or leaving at 3pm. HR is composed of silent and scared college hires who wants to keep their high paying job (checking Facebook and sometimes answer emails and do some work)

I hope Ryan M. Lance reads this!

Poor Culture / Big Bureaucracy

I worked at ConocoPhillips (more than 10 years)

Pros

Competitive pay rates. Good benefits. Very focused.

Cons

Worked there since the mid 1980's and left a few years ago. Great company to work for before merging with Phillips. After the merger the company became too top heavy. Several layers of middle management was added. Poor upper management business decision such as splitting of the company and is no longer an integrated oil company, the billions lost on the venture into Kashagan, no presence in the Gulf of Mexico, and the purchase of Burlington Resources.
    The once family oriented culture has been decimated. Employees are treated like a piece of equipment and not as a human beings. Very little mobility.

Take a look at your values and your people. As a manager, do you really value your people?

Good Times

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Tacoma, WA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Tacoma, WA

I worked at ConocoPhillips full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I just like the laid back friendly environment. You get minimum wage as a CSR but its a fun friendly enviroment

Cons

Pay, even as you become a manager pay is bad. I was offered management but its like a dollar or two more and I would end up with way more responisiblity

Keep on keeping on

Pleasing place to work

I have been working at ConocoPhillips

Pros

Treat employees fairly, good benifits

Cons

Sometime the work can be stressful