ConocoPhillips Reviews

• Full-time
  • Part-time
Employment Status

Reset

Great benefits, smart, well-educated coworkers

Former Employee - Geophysical Technical Writer in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Geophysical Technical Writer in Houston, TX

I worked at ConocoPhillips full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

As a technical writer and editor, I found that most of the scientists I worked with appreciated the contributions I made to the quality of their papers, online help, reports, and other materials.

Cons

Like most companies, COP upper management believes technical writers are a "luxury," rather than a necessity.

Advice to Management

Compare the written work of your scientists "final" documents to the same documents after they were edited by a professional writer. You will see a stark difference in the clarity and effectiveness of their documents.

Great Benefits

Pros

-Great Benefits, Good Health Incentives, competitive salary, depending on the location nice installations that have onsite gyms.

Cons

-Cyclical industry that tends to overreact when oil prices go down

3. Great people to work

Former Employee - Human Resources in Ponca City, OK
    Former Employee - Human Resources in Ponca City, OK

I worked at ConocoPhillips full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

They care about people. Each department works very well with each other. Great company to work for because they truly care about people. Employees and customers are treated with respect. I worked in Ponca City and Bartlesville.

Cons

None I know you want more words but I have no cons to list as I as most I worked with were very happy to work for Conoco and ConocoPhillips. Not a lot of companies I could say that about.

Advice to Management

Doing a great job. the entry would only let me last year worked as 2011. But I retired in 2003 did not want to mislead anyone.

5. Great company to do internship with

Pros

Great company, great mentors, work well defined, goals well defined. Participation with stock bonus

Cons

Bartlesville isn't a booming city

Great Company if your willing to move

Former Employee - Lease Operator in Casper, WY
    Former Employee - Lease Operator in Casper, WY

I worked at ConocoPhillips full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

excellent benefits package (top of the industry's peers) great pay and room for advancement. very safety minded company and environmentally caring.

Cons

cant hardly be promoted in your area you almost have to move to be promoted. Layoffs happen every few years as oil and gas prices rise and fall.

Advice to Management

Let people be promoted within the area they are in more easily. upper management needs to be more involved with lower management and talk to employees to see what's really going on.

7. Enjoyed working with the people. Positive environment

Former Employee - Projects Integration Manager in Anchorage, AK
    Former Employee - Projects Integration Manager in Anchorage, AK

I worked at ConocoPhillips (More than a year)

Pros

Many engineering challenges; keep you on top of your game. Latest technology being sought and used. Safety is top priority. Approaches used are best for long term good of oil fields.

Cons

Keep up or face being tossed overboard during the next downturn which in the oil business happen every 5 to 7 years. Yes this could be said of any for profit business.

Advice to Management

Plan for next downturn do not expand so fast during upturn so less people are laid off during next downturn.

8. Senior Software Engineer

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Houston, TX

Pros

Good people. Technically competent culture in geophysics.

Cons

Their new seismic processing infrastructure is built on Java, which is misguided for "HPC Linux cluster processing of massive numerical data sets" (in my opinion). The chief proponent suppressed (or exiled) others that had honest, technical objections to the fundamental design.

9. Great benefits, Great People

Former Employee - Accountant/Financial Analyst in Bartlesville, OK
    Former Employee - Accountant/Financial Analyst in Bartlesville, OK

I worked at ConocoPhillips full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The benefits are fantastic. 401(k) match vests immediately, and an additional pension vests after 3 years. 9/80 (2 fridays a month off) schedule and 19/30 (1 friday off a month) make work life balance great. The people in Bartlesville were great. Really enjoyed the culture of the company. Very open, very positive. Core hours are 9-3, but as long as you are there during those hours you can come in and leave whenever you want so long as you get your 9 hours in. Very helpful on days when you have appointments or travel and want to leave a couple hours early.

Cons

Part of the reason they pay so well is because people don't want to be in Bartlesville, OK. It is a nice small town if you have a family and want to settle down. But for the younger generation, it just doesn't have much to offer. The flexible schedule is nice, but when you have to travel outside of town to do most fun stuff, it gets a little old. If you have grown up in larger cities, the town will definitely be an adjustment.

Advice to Management

Continue with transparency during this volatile time. Be upfront with college graduates about likely job locations and roles.

Information hoarding!!!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bartlesville, OK
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bartlesville, OK

Pros

They took a chance on a "green" kid, and gave me a job offer right out of school. Pay was pretty decent. I was able to work on interesting things and on projects that had an impact on the company bottom line. Would get 'rewarded' with high ratings for hard work on important projects. Work / Life balance in my office location was great. The gym facilities were pretty great too, and I liked that they were open a lot. They even had some semi-organized leagues you could join which was a lot of fun.

Cons

Your coworkers, your boss, everyone who works there seems to hoard information / knowledge in order to make themselves look better and you look worse. I worked there before the split, but I know people who are still there and people who started working there after the split - and the same problem is still going on every where across all departments. Training options were basically non-existent for the Bartians - the only exception being the IT college hire kids.

Advice to Management

Don't treat your shared services organizations as if they are "only" and expense. Sometimes a small investment (for example, for a second monitor) can make a huge impact on productivity.

11. Chief mate

Current Employee - Chief Mate in Anchorage, AK
    Current Employee - Chief Mate in Anchorage, AK

I have been working at ConocoPhillips full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

9:1 match on first 1% of 401k 3yrs vested , 7% pension contribution,

Cons

Long work rotations with lots of training on off time, making for a choppy vacation

RSS Feed </> Embed