Conroe Regional Medical Center

Matt Davis

1. Getting better

Current Employee - Staff RN in Conroe, TX
    Current Employee - Staff RN in Conroe, TX

I have been working at Conroe Regional Medical Center full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Administration has had a change for the better. More nurse friendly and supportive of furthering education

Cons

Pay is not as high as other hospitals in the area

Advice to Management

Continue to grow nurses and pay them so that they don't use the hospital as a steeping stone

2. Social Work Experience

Former Employee - Social Worker in Conroe, TX
    Former Employee - Social Worker in Conroe, TX

I worked at Conroe Regional Medical Center full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Some pros of the job include getting free lunches two days a week, a new CEO who is very interested in renovating the hospital and updating it, interesting clients and cases, and more pay than many Social Work roles.

Cons

I will start by saying that I do not believe that most hospitals utilize Social Workers to capitalize on their experience and knowledge, and this hospital is no exception. Social Work turnover is a frequent occurrence here, as it is in most hospitals. During my time there, I witnessed 5 other hard-working, compassionate Social Workers go elsewhere due to feeling underutilized. Unfortunately, the management here is not very supportive of employees, particularly the Social Workers. This might be because of an inherent lack of understanding in what Social Workers know and do; I am not sure. However, I do know that you are placed in a different department and managed by nurses only, so there is a definitve disconnect between your skillset and the expectations, more so than some other local hospitals, I surmise. A frequent mantra of the management here was "there is no division between Social Work and Case Management" which simply is not the case. Case Managers here have an RN only for the most part (an Associate's degree) which is a degree in nursing. Unfortunately, you will frequently hear "I need a Social Worker" by the Case Management staff, which to me is inappropriate language for what we can offer. I often felt as though I was an assistant to Case Managers during my time here rather than a valued member of the team with a unique skillset and outlook. This is not an enviornment where you are able to hone your counseling skills. There is more of an emphasis on quantity than quality and there is a focus to maintain profits and save money. This is not an innately negative trait of a company, but I think most Social Workers tend to envision themselves in a different sort of role where they have time for more meaningful and personable interactions. There are no LCSW's that can provide supervision, no intern opportunities, no covered CEU opportunities, no support groups, and no compensation for obtaining a higher level of licensure. The pay is higher than most jobs for Social Workers, but it is often said that other local hospitals do pay much more. What Case Management means in this particular hospital: -Doing discharge planning -Going back and forth between floors to cover different units when a Case Manager is off (which is every day) -Working with patients who have suicidal or homicidal ideations and/or other psychiatric issues -Attending weekly discharge meetings -Setting up transfers to other hospitals -Setting up home health, rehab, nursing home, durable medical equipment, etc. -Making APS/CPS reports often Holidays: There are some occasions in which management will grant a holiday off, but this is taken out of your Paid Time Off accrual. Weekends: You will have to work 2-4 weekends a year and be on unpaid on call for a week as well. That essentially means that you have to work all of the referrals (30-100 a day) that come up on that weekend day, because you will be the only person in the hospital handling referrals. Holidays are the same way, only usually there are more people there to help. Sometimes, you can get off early on a holiday. Coworkers: There are approximately 25 Case Managers and 4 Social Workers. There are 4 floors and an inpatient rehab and Social Workers are assigned to a floor and have 2-4 Case Managers that they are expected to assist. It is a fast paced, busy job. When you have to cover other Case Managers, which is several times a week, it can become extremely busy. You are discouraged from socializing with other Social Workers so that there will not be a division in the team. There is no chance for advancement for a Social Worker here, as this is the only position that this hospital employs Social Workers in. I would not recommend this hospital due to the way they structure the Social Work role and the lack of understanding about Social Workers.

Advice to Management

Really take into account the suggestions and feelings of employees; promote a positive job culture; show that you care about each employee, no matter their role; look into why people are leaving at such a rapid rate; hold exit interviews

3. understaffed in lab

Pros

Teaching hospital for newly certified phlebs

Cons

understaffed, was often scheduled alone for shifts, supervisors were constantly leaving

5. I am having a wonderful experience working for Conroe Hospital.

Current Employee - Nurse Tech in Conroe, TX
    Current Employee - Nurse Tech in Conroe, TX

Pros

Experience Team Work Good Leadership Time off when needed

Cons

Short staff Better time organize for bring patient up during shift change Better time organize for discharging patient during shift change

Insane director of the department I am in. She is seriously a nut job!

I have been working at Conroe Regional Medical Center full-time

Pros

Cafeteria isn't half bad, decent insurance

Cons

Don't listen to employees, no structure, no knowledge of roles, too much change and confusion

Advice to Management

Hire people with actual experience.

So-so...

Current Employee - Nurse Tech
    Current Employee - Nurse Tech

I have been working at Conroe Regional Medical Center full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Coworkers, team efforts, always overtime opportunity

Cons

Staffing issues consistant, low pay

Advice to Management

Hire more staff to handle workload.

The patients were amazing to deal with but the employees suck!

Current Employee - Admitting Representative
    Current Employee - Admitting Representative

Pros

I loved getting 3 days off on a good week if no one called off. Great benefits !

Cons

The people I worked with made it really hard to stay there. The supervisors did not care about your personal life.

Advice to Management

Hire good people not people who bring their personal issues to the work place !

9. Overall experience included a broad scope of many specialties with high acuity care.

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Conroe, TX
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Conroe, TX

I have been working at Conroe Regional Medical Center full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The schedule is flexible and work life balance is excellent in the ICU/CVICU. The culture in the ICU is friendly and displays team work.

Cons

Need to know about many specialties as the ICU includes; surgical, neuro, trauma, cardiac and medical in one large unit.

Advice to Management

Upper management needs to work on balancing the work load for the nurse and streamline some processes.

10. Registered nurse

Former Employee - Registered Relief Nurse in Conroe, TX
    Former Employee - Registered Relief Nurse in Conroe, TX

I worked at Conroe Regional Medical Center full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Specialties are available besides med/surg

Cons

Floating everyweek . used as floatpool with no compensation. The first floor was the worst so short staffed that the nurses had up to 7 patients!, and the charge has at least 3-4 so you had no Bach up when you needed it

11. Only concerned with bottom dollar, not true patient care.

Former Employee - Registered Nurse
    Former Employee - Registered Nurse

I worked at Conroe Regional Medical Center part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The people I worked with, knowledge and experience gained, and the amazing patients we were able to help teach and learn from along the way.

Cons

Lowest pay in area, staffing- high patient ratio, faulty and minimal equipment, poor communication from Unit Director- he was difficult to approach and condescending.

RSS Feed </> Embed