Conservation International Reviews

38 reviews filtered by
3.7
Conservation International Chairman and CEO Peter A. Seligmann
Peter A. Seligmann

Amazingly beautiful work environment, lots of smart and passionate people, all for a good cause.

Former Contractor - Graphic Design Associate in Arlington, VA
    Former Contractor - Graphic Design Associate in Arlington, VA

I worked at Conservation International as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

The people within CI are just the best. They are driven and intelligent, and everyone I came into contact with was friendly. The culture and company values are uplifting. CI truly is invested in bettering their employees. Also the benefits are very nice!

Cons

Of course the nature of a non-profit can be limiting, just because almost all funds are allocated, and there's not a whole lot of room for innovation

None.

2. A great place to gain knowledge than move on

I have been working at Conservation International

Pros

Great health benefits. Flexible hours and schedule for some.

Cons

People won't speak to you. Senior staff barely even glance at you. Your supervisor will probably have no clue on how to delegate work to you without micro managing the heck out of the entire process. Which leaves no room for success. Emails emails emails! You can get a thousand emails from someone telling you to do something that you have never met. The process for reviews is a joke because there's no accountability when it comes to the higher level staff. There are tons of staff with under 5 years that are fed up with not having a voice. Every idea for innovation will be shut down and shredded to pieces. You might as well cover your mouth with duck tape.

Reevaluate older staff. Anyone with 10-15 years plus under there belt should be cross trained to move on to another department. This way they are also being taken out of their elements to keep from running away newer staff with their I've been here......many years speeches. Help other departments reach their goals. It's one big organization but each division is solely responsible for on their own budgets with little help or guidance from above when in trouble.

3. Great place to work when both principals were in the game.

Former Employee - Financial Analyst in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Financial Analyst in New York, NY

I worked at Conservation International full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Lots of learning experiences, ability to choose projects of interest.

Cons

Too much conflict with 4 partners.

Two principals have to be on the ball, not distracted.

5. HR is never out of business.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

I worked at Conservation International

Pros

Women, who wants to have a child, get hired, have a baby, and then run away! Take advantage of their good maternity leave! But you have to leave soon afterwords because the stressful work environment will be detrimental to your health and happiness of your family!!!! Run!!!!
    It's actually really dangerous to work there; HR department works against you and takes advantage of your honest feedback. There's a lot of Friday, 3pm meetings after which you never see your co-workers again!
    Stay away!!!! The company is getting a really bed reputation and it deserves it!!!!

Cons

Everybody there is a strong supporter of the cause which makes it tolerable to go to work. It makes for good camaraderie in bed times, which are plenty. Senior staff is constantly restructuring and changing organization, hiring new people and firing those who actually contributed and helped develop the org. to a new level. They do not recognize talent, rather they make decisions in a spur of a moment based on recommendations by famous and influential outsiders (the have Hollywood connections and they think marketing, not science, is holy grail!).

Stop living in clouds and think of yourselves as omnipotent gods! It's childish!, to say the least!

6. important mission, passionate people, but poor discipline and rotating leaders

I worked at Conservation International

Pros

well respected brand in the B2B space, (govts., businesses, science) with a holistic macro view of global conservation challenges; passionate, diverse and smart workforce; inspiring mission

Cons

very top heavy; too much work and not enough strategic discipline to stick with and achieve long term goals; frequent mission creep; questionable allocation of resources; fatigued/frustrated work force; goals and achievements too abstract. (highly macro)

7. Intern: enjoyable environment, very fair hours, solid compensation for a non-profit, smart people

Former Employee - Human Resources Intern in Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Human Resources Intern in Arlington, VA

I worked at Conservation International

Pros

The feeling of working in a place where people spend their day thinking about making things better is a really fun experience and you get really pumped to produce good work as part of the team. No one is competitive internally, the competition is with getting funding and making the programs successful (although I never really saw this side of things as an HR intern specifically working on web development and data systems). The people are great and everyone seemed to get along. There was a really nice library of resources - an actual room filled with books about conservation etc - and the company floor plan was overall pretty flat. Very few cubicles, most people have nice offices. The pay for a high school intern was exceptionally good and the work experience taught me many useful skills. Overall a company with a really great mission, a great leader in Peter, and a fun work environment.

Cons

The main issue was a lack of training, we were given interesting projects to work on and basically thrown problems to solve. I ended up learning a tremendous amount about SharePoint, web development and data analysis as a result but more direction and guidance would have been helpful. All in all few cons, they treated us really well and I had fun.

Enlarge your intern program, I think we did good work and everyone in HR seemed to enjoy having the interns around. Provide opportunities for interns to segway into full-time positions, and most importantly give more training programs for the interns. Overall, the company seems to be headed in the right direction and doing really good work to help save the environment.

8. Blue Chip NGO, but lots of internal upheaval

I worked at Conservation International full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Smart, dedicated coworkers. Beautiful working space.

Cons

Limited opportunity for professional development.

Young ambitious staff can only go so far internally. Work on slowing the high turnover rates.

So far so good

Current Employee - Manager in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Manager in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Conservation International full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Based in Arlington, VA, USA at the company HQ, Conservation International has experienced several changes in senior leadership positions over the last year. We seem to be getting through it pretty well and are on track for riding out the storm effectively. Credit goes to mid-level leadership for holding things together.

Cons

CI is still cementing the overall vision, scope and direction but are doing so while remaining effective. There is still a disconnect between the field offices/programs and HQ but this can only be mitigated and will never go away.

10. Fun and dynamic work place

Current Employee - Manager in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Manager in Washington, DC

I have been working at Conservation International

Pros

Very employee friendly and super dynamic workplace. The work is fascinating and everyone here has a passion for what they do

Cons

Sometimes communications and fundraising can take precedence over doing the real work.

11. Internship

Former Intern - Intern in Arlington, VA
    Former Intern - Intern in Arlington, VA

I worked at Conservation International as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Friendly, progressive, encouraging work environment

Cons

I was an intern and did not have anything to complain about throughout my 4 months at the company

Conservation International Photos

Conservation International Guyana sign, Guyana, vertical, (Photo thanks to Flickr user Der Berzerker All rights reserved.)
Conservation International - La Paz office (Photo thanks to Flickr user Sam Beebe, available under by v2.0)

+ Add Photo