Consolidated Electrical

Consolidated Electrical President H. Dean Bursch

H. Dean Bursch

Great part time Job

Warehouse (Current Employee) Logan, UT

ProsFlexible with School schedule and good work, life balance.

ConsLittle room to grow and move up

Advice to Senior ManagementNot very good people skills

Long hard road with no end insight!

Jack of All Sales (Current Employee) Vacaville, CA

ProsAlmost a 30 year employee, started as a truck driver @ $5.00 hr with in 5 years I worked my way into inside sales. Good years & bad years with profit sharing most of the time I would hope it would clear my debts that I could not pay with my wages. If you were to average my wage increase over 29 years it works out to be an annual raise of .32 cents a year...do the simple math $15.15 per hour. Well I guess one thing CED taught me was how to live cheap & survive!

ConsThey tell me this is my career, I see it as just a low paying job I could do anywhere!

Advice to Senior ManagementPay some real money up front so we can feed our family's, and a small bonus will do? And you can keep the rest! By the way I've been with the company for more than have of its existence. It's people like me thats made your company strong. I have researched your #'s U.S. & abroad, and to think you had only 300+ stores when I started. I understand all aspects of the companys operation and is truely simple & profitable on a corperate level, but you lose more people due to bad management and low pay!

Made a lot of promises, but didn't deliver

Corporate Management Trainee (Former Employee) Scottsdale, AZ

ProsCompensation and benefits package. Nights and weekends off.

ConsThe management training program was more of a sales training program. You spend two years selling electrical supplies to blue collar customers; then they put you in charge of a struggling sales office. They teach you about all the products they sell, but they don't teach you any real management skills. They tout it as a "real world MBA program," but it's nothing like that.

The manager is the only salaried position. There's zero room for advancement if you aren't in the management trainee program. They run the profit centers a bit too lean. Everyone works overtime (50-60 hours a week). If your center is profitable, you get an annual bonus. There is no commission for salesmen.

The two years you spend in the program are spent as a salesman. You have to sell to succeed in the program. You learn and perform all the jobs in the profit center, none of which require a degree. If you can't relate to blue collar customers, good luck.

Advice to Senior ManagementAdvertise it as to what it really is. It's a sales manager program, not a general manager program.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Discrimination Abounds

Sales (Current Employee) Scottsdale, AZ

ProsJob security, stable company, compensation.

ConsDiscrimination...albeit, legally.

After 20 years of working with CED, I am shocked. The other day, I overheard our manager and his boss talking about the person they recently fired. This person had a minor disability that wasn't covered by the ADA because it wasn't severe enough. Well, I overheard my boss mentioning that was part of the reason he was fired. He said some customers complained about it. That is absolutely horrible, and I feel so bad for the guy. If you're reading this, don't work for this company, at least not in this division.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvestigate your managers.

Great company that cares about its employees

ProsCompany has been in business for a long time and has many employees with years of industry experience. Although generally very knowledgeable and fair, some managers are better than others and experience will vary from one location to another. Profit sharing motivates employees.

ConsStaff is aging and younger employees are needed.

Great first job, great people

Management Trainee (Former Employee) City Industry, CA

Prosgreat pay, great people, good first job

Consyou will have to study and learn every part of the electrical construction industry so that you can properly sell it. Also, it feels technologically outdated, as if the company never left the 80's.

Advice to Senior ManagementDidn't feel like there was much structured training. I had to rely on my co-workers taking time away from their work to teach me.

Good Job, Bad Career

ProsJob security, it is hard to get fired. steady pay check with a reasonable bonus if you are at a good location. If you have an excellent manager this is a great company.

ConsThe Manager determines everything and most are too busy for new employees. The pay is bad. Usually there is very little training even in the "training program." The skills you learn are only useful in electrical distribution. There is often little communication with management and the computers and equipment are old and out dated.

Advice to Senior ManagementHow much will my bonus be? How can I earn more? What can I do to improve? What is our focus?

It paid the bills

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThey worked with my school schedule. Had the ability to change my hours from semester to semester with little push back. Full time employees got profit sharing.

ConsIf you are not a full time employee, you don't get much of anything. Low pay, no profit sharing, no medical and no where to go. Long hours with hard work and little reward.

A comfortable work environment

ProsExcellent profit sharing program. People in the company genuinely seem to care about each other. It has a very loose environment.

ConsIf your location isn't profitable, your annual income will suffer (regardless of your individual performance). There aren't many opportunities for true advancement.

Advice to Senior ManagementProfit sharing is a great motivator, but it hurts when one bad job can ruin it for everyone.

Great starting point, but no forward movement with minimal pay

Management Trainee (Former Employee) Laguna Niguel, CA

ProsGood experience in a growing industry

ConsLow pay, but hard work. Not many opportunities to move forward unless you are taken in the corporate program.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay more and allow more chances for promotion.

Worked for Consolidated Electrical? Contribute to the Community!