Consolidated Electrical

Updated August 26, 2014
3.1

Consolidated Electrical President H. Dean Bursch
H. Dean Bursch

Excellent starting job. Poor opportunity for advancement.

I have been working at Consolidated Electrical full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- Excellent training provided
    - Friendly work environment
    - Decent benefits
    - Opportunity to deal with people from all over the country regardless of position or location.
    - In general, your coworkers will be hard-working, smart, industrious and helpful people.
    - Management is responsive to most matters outside of compensation.

Cons

- Difficulties with advancement and career progression due to extremely flat corporate structure.
    - Nepotism is a real problem
    - Unless you are in a commissioned sales position, pay is lower than market average.
    - A large portion of your paycheck is tied to "profit-sharing." This is essentially a bonus program that rewards you based on how the company did that year along with your manager's evaluation of your performance. This makes annual pay levels a bit difficult to predict as you could have an excellent year, but if sales are down, so is your paycheck and the "profit-sharing" is just not there to reward you.
    - The company also utilizes "profit-sharing" as the way of granting "raises." Base-pay increases are extremely rare regardless of position in the company.

- Office/Company culture is currently in an excellent place, work to maintain that.
    - Consider moving pay up to a competitive level within the industry. I believe it will go a long way towards personnel retention and acquiring top talent.

Very Old School poor training practices

I have been working at Consolidated Electrical full-time

Pros

Hard working people and environment. Management does the best they can with the business model they use.

Cons

Profit Sharing model means that processes are outdated and while this may be good for current employees for a short time, it is sending the company downhill for the long run compared to the competition.

I would say that the profit sharing model should be removed so that management practices can focus on what is best for the customer as this is the only way to stay competitive with the competition.

High expectations for low pay

Current Employee - OUTSIDE SALES  in  Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - OUTSIDE SALES in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Consolidated Electrical full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Given a lot of freedom to take your own initiative as long as it produces results. Most employees are very knowledgable and dedicated to taking care of customers.

Cons

Talented employees go completely unnoticed by upper management even if the performance shows that they are good at what they do. Profit sharing is very unpredicatable and is at the discretion of branch manager.

Teamwork between local branches is very random. Customers should be the ultimate focus even if it means that an account be moved to a different branch.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A whole new experience!

Former Employee - OUTSIDE SALES  in  Key West, FL
    Former Employee - OUTSIDE SALES in Key West, FL

I worked at Consolidated Electrical full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I am on my third professional opportunity since college and none have been like my time at CED. I can honestly say the team atmosphere was the best I have ever experienced. CED hires great people and their managers build great teams. After 3+ years, I don't want to leave. If it were for my family business needing my help I would have stayed much longer. While working there, our location always felt like it was our own business. Upper management never tells you how to run your business. They relied on us to know are customers and our market.

Cons

Being a private company it is hard to research them on the web. I interviewed with the PC manager 4 times before being hired. It took that long to fully grasp the how the company does business.

It was good for a while.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Boulder, CO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boulder, CO

I worked at Consolidated Electrical full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Good starting point. Good co-workers. Most are willing to help even if it is not the type of work they usually do. The customers are great. In a small branch you learn all areas of the day to day business.

Cons

Low pay, they consider profit sharing to be part of your salary but it is not guaranteed. If you are not a sales person, you get less profit sharing, no matter how hard you work. Constantly adding more responsibility but NEVER get a raise.

To the new manager: This branch has a history of being profitable for many years before you got here. Coming in here and making drastic changes does not mean that YOU made it successful, you just happened to fall into a good situation. Don't mess with a good thing.

CED

Current Employee - Profit Center Manager  in  Irving, TX
    Current Employee - Profit Center Manager in Irving, TX

I have been working at Consolidated Electrical full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

CED is very decentralized, allowing for ground floor decisions. Profit sharing is available, and very nice in the larger/ very profitable locations. Management and industry training is second to none.

Cons

The benefits are very highly touted, but they're mediocre at best. Smaller locations are black holes for talent.

Look at increasing pay to the locations that are in small markets, or prepare to lose talent to competitors that are willing to.

Long hard road with no end insight!

Current Employee - Jack of All Sales  in  Vacaville, CA
    Current Employee - Jack of All Sales in Vacaville, CA

I have been working at Consolidated Electrical full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Almost a 30 year employee, started as a truck driver @ $5.00 hr with in 5 years I worked my way into inside sales. Good years & bad years with profit sharing most of the time I would hope it would clear my debts that I could not pay with my wages. If you were to average my wage increase over 29 years it works out to be an annual raise of .32 cents a year...do the simple math $15.15 per hour. Well I guess one thing CED taught me was how to live cheap & survive!

Cons

They tell me this is my career, I see it as just a low paying job I could do anywhere!

Pay some real money up front so we can feed our family's, and a small bonus will do? And you can keep the rest! By the way I've been with the company for more than have of its existence. It's people like me thats made your company strong. I have researched your #'s U.S. & abroad, and to think you had only 300+ stores when I started. I understand all aspects of the companys operation and is truely simple & profitable on a corperate level, but you lose more people due to bad management and low pay!

War on Women is waged at CED. Minorities don't fair well either. EEOC should be all over this place.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Irving, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irving, TX

I worked at Consolidated Electrical full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good mission statement that will have you drinking the cool-aid but lacks sincerity in its execution.

Cons

Company Values: Men are the only ones that can be in charge and have power. Women are daft, mild mannered creatures that should only be in support positions or if in a token position of power, shall be a sham and politically ostracized. If they have talent or value it should be exploited making sure to destroy the self-confidence of the person making the contribution so that they lack ambition and will not demand to be paid what they are worth.

Both men and women can also be marginalized by being placed in an obscure location or made to travel extensively. Management finds this power quite satisfying. Since you will be out in the hinterlands or traveling all the time, you will be away from anyone in upper management at corporate thus reducing your face time.

Office Culture: Good "ole boy to the max. New profit manager prospects are all mail, and Caucasian.
    You will see a division manager and a very few profit managers that are successful and women but you will learn that their divisions or locations were purchased not home grown. Company events are boy-based.

Another tactic : women are marginalized and excluded from gaining a foothold at CED by being kept on contract rather than hired as full time employees.

WARNING: if you take initiative, notice things or put forth suggestions, converse with people outside your department, or perform exceptionally well or stand your ground with your opinions, no matter how positively or with the company's best interest in mind, you will be fired or wish to be fired, particularly if you are female. ONLY work here if you are willing to be a drone for a time and seek something better as soon as you can.

Please tell the producers of Mad Men about you, and you may have a sequel. Sad to see this is still the Modus Operandi in the current decade, let alone this century!

Oh, and stop disparaging your wives and women. How amazing that you do this in the presence of women coworkers who feel as though they are watching a terrorist torture a friend but you have to smile and watch because it could be you next.

Stop abusing your power and start using it for good.

Stop the excuse that you are in a man's profession - even the NBA has realized that a women coach of a men's basketball team might work. Men do NOT make better managers because they are men.

Great part time Job

Current Employee - Warehouse  in  Logan, UT
    Current Employee - Warehouse in Logan, UT

I have been working at Consolidated Electrical part-time for more than a year

Pros

Flexible with School schedule and good work, life balance.

Cons

Little room to grow and move up

Not very good people skills

Made a lot of promises, but didn't deliver

Former Employee - Corporate Management Trainee  in  Scottsdale, AZ
    Former Employee - Corporate Management Trainee in Scottsdale, AZ

I worked at Consolidated Electrical full-time for less than a year

Pros

Compensation and benefits package. Nights and weekends off.

Cons

The management training program was more of a sales training program. You spend two years selling electrical supplies to blue collar customers; then they put you in charge of a struggling sales office. They teach you about all the products they sell, but they don't teach you any real management skills. They tout it as a "real world MBA program," but it's nothing like that.

The manager is the only salaried position. There's zero room for advancement if you aren't in the management trainee program. They run the profit centers a bit too lean. Everyone works overtime (50-60 hours a week). If your center is profitable, you get an annual bonus. There is no commission for salesmen.

The two years you spend in the program are spent as a salesman. You have to sell to succeed in the program. You learn and perform all the jobs in the profit center, none of which require a degree. If you can't relate to blue collar customers, good luck.

Advertise it as to what it really is. It's a sales manager program, not a general manager program.

Worked for Consolidated Electrical? Contribute to the Community!