Consolidated Electrical Reviews

• Full-time
  • Part-time
Employment Status

Reset

1. Great benefits and a very informal culture, doesn't make up for lack of upward mobility.

Current Employee - Purchasing Agent in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Purchasing Agent in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Consolidated Electrical full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good benefits package overall. Many locations throughout the country make it somewhat easy to relocate if you want.

Cons

Compensation is built around profit sharing. You are paid very low throughout the year, with hopes of profit sharing making up for it. Management is afraid to progress business because it costs money (seen as less profit sharing). Blue collar, think inside the box mentality and culture.

Advice to Management

Be open to new ways of building business and profit. Beware the "that's how we've always done it" 20 year veterans that anchor the business; prevent growth.

2. Great for management, but not for anyone else.

I worked at Consolidated Electrical

Pros

Lots of travel in the management training program, with lots of important vendors to meet.

Cons

The work atmosphere is not always the most positive.

Advice to Management

Do more to retain young, talented management trainees.

3. Great Company

I worked at Consolidated Electrical

Pros

This company offers a great place to build a long-term career. The benefits are great. I worked at the corporate office and we were well taken care of and treated very well.

Cons

Don't risk your job by trying to help the company by being a whistleblower.

5. CED could be great!

Current Employee - Account Manager in Long Beach, CA
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Long Beach, CA

I have been working at Consolidated Electrical full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible with time. Great work life balance.

Cons

Not a ton of growth opportunity. Compensation is mostly based on profit sharing which is determined by management.

6. Large privately held Electrical Distributor

Current Employee - PC Manager
    Current Employee - PC Manager

I have been working at Consolidated Electrical full-time

Pros

Management Trainee Program * After only 2-3 years, CED will allow a trainee the opportunity to run a Profit Center * Unique opportunity to manage and run a small business at a young age

Cons

The industry has not caught with the times. Technology and systems seem are antiquated, although with the oncoming youth that should improve.

Advice to Management

Continue to invest time and energy into the Management Trainee Program but don't forget about developing other career verticals. High quality employee's don't always want to be the manager.

Excellent starting job. Poor opportunity for advancement.

I have been working at Consolidated Electrical full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Excellent training provided - Friendly work environment - Decent benefits - Opportunity to deal with people from all over the country regardless of position or location. - In general, your coworkers will be hard-working, smart, industrious and helpful people. - Management is responsive to most matters outside of compensation.

Cons

- Difficulties with advancement and career progression due to extremely flat corporate structure. - Nepotism is a real problem - Unless you are in a commissioned sales position, pay is lower than market average. - A large portion of your paycheck is tied to "profit-sharing." This is essentially a bonus program that rewards you based on how the company did that year along with your manager's evaluation of your performance. This makes annual pay levels a bit difficult to predict as you could have an excellent year, but if sales are down, so is your paycheck and the "profit-sharing" is just not there to reward you. - The company also utilizes "profit-sharing" as the way of granting "raises." Base-pay increases are extremely rare regardless of position in the company.

Advice to Management

- Office/Company culture is currently in an excellent place, work to maintain that. - Consider moving pay up to a competitive level within the industry. I believe it will go a long way towards personnel retention and acquiring top talent.

8. A whole new experience!

Former Employee - OUTSIDE SALES in Key West, FL
    Former Employee - OUTSIDE SALES in Key West, FL

I worked at Consolidated Electrical full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I am on my third professional opportunity since college and none have been like my time at CED. I can honestly say the team atmosphere was the best I have ever experienced. CED hires great people and their managers build great teams. After 3+ years, I don't want to leave. If it were for my family business needing my help I would have stayed much longer. While working there, our location always felt like it was our own business. Upper management never tells you how to run your business. They relied on us to know are customers and our market.

Cons

Being a private company it is hard to research them on the web. I interviewed with the PC manager 4 times before being hired. It took that long to fully grasp the how the company does business.

9. Very Old School poor training practices

I have been working at Consolidated Electrical full-time

Pros

Hard working people and environment. Management does the best they can with the business model they use.

Cons

Profit Sharing model means that processes are outdated and while this may be good for current employees for a short time, it is sending the company downhill for the long run compared to the competition.

Advice to Management

I would say that the profit sharing model should be removed so that management practices can focus on what is best for the customer as this is the only way to stay competitive with the competition.

10. High expectations for low pay

Current Employee - OUTSIDE SALES in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - OUTSIDE SALES in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Consolidated Electrical full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Given a lot of freedom to take your own initiative as long as it produces results. Most employees are very knowledgable and dedicated to taking care of customers.

Cons

Talented employees go completely unnoticed by upper management even if the performance shows that they are good at what they do. Profit sharing is very unpredicatable and is at the discretion of branch manager.

Advice to Management

Teamwork between local branches is very random. Customers should be the ultimate focus even if it means that an account be moved to a different branch.

11. CED

Current Employee - Profit Center Manager in Irving, TX
    Current Employee - Profit Center Manager in Irving, TX

I have been working at Consolidated Electrical full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

CED is very decentralized, allowing for ground floor decisions. Profit sharing is available, and very nice in the larger/ very profitable locations. Management and industry training is second to none.

Cons

The benefits are very highly touted, but they're mediocre at best. Smaller locations are black holes for talent.

Advice to Management

Look at increasing pay to the locations that are in small markets, or prepare to lose talent to competitors that are willing to.

RSS Feed </> Embed