Consolidated Graphics

Consolidated Graphics Reviews

Updated Apr 8, 2014

Consolidated Graphics Chairman and CEO Joe R. Davis

Joe R. Davis

Pros:
  • "Consolidated Graphics' Leadership Development Program allows Associates to really hone in on their strengths and allow them to choose their career path"
    in 6 reviews
  • "Many of the employees here are great people"
    in 5 reviews
Cons:
  • "work extremely long hours especially those who volunteer for peak seasons with extra comp"
    in 13 reviews
  • "High turnover because people find better opportunities"
    in 11 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

The experience you gain will lead to bigger and better things.

Laurel, MD

I have been working at Consolidated Graphics full-time for more than a year

ProsAs part of the Leadership Development Program, you are able to learn a lot in a short period of time and work in different parts of the company (customer service, estimating, accounting, etc.) to garner more experience than most recent college grads.

ConsThe Leadership Development Program boasts that you could become a company president one day, but they give you no visibility of how to get there.

They expect you to work to the bone and "pay your dues" for little or no respect.

They view everyone as "replaceable", and they aren't afraid to tell that to your face.

Advice to Senior ManagementFairly compensate your employees and show that you value them.

Let this company be your last option!!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
Houston, TX

I worked at Consolidated Graphics full-time for more than a year

ProsConsolidated Graphics looks great on your resume.

ConsThey don't care about their employees and most leave after a year or two.

Leadership Development Program - biggest scam out there

Chicago, IL

I have been working at Consolidated Graphics full-time for more than 3 years

ProsSteady Salary, more money spent to recruit and impress graduates than training and pay.

ConsThe division to 'sell' the leadership development program to college graduates is is separate from the actual managers, sister companies, and employees that work there. Company is behind in technology, you WILL work 60hrs a week. Good ol boy system, but the good ol boys are uneducated sales men, not business men. As an employee you will be taken advantage of and produce much much more profit for the company than you are equitably salaried. Grim outlook / AT ALL COSTS AVOID SOUTHEAST COMPANIES, ESPECIALLY FLORIDA. No 401k as well.

Advice to Senior ManagementYour operations are a joke (unprofessional at best), more HR issues than I can think of, your CEO is barely there (when asked questions about future growth, response was racist comments about hunting). Current corporate structure is path to destruction/ let those who sell the leadership development program actually train and manage hirees.

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

There are upsides and downsides

Associate- LDP (Former Employee)

I worked at Consolidated Graphics full-time for more than 3 years

ProsHR at corporate works with those that want to excel within the company, but you have to initiate. Plenty of opportunities to move. HR has a great team. Chance to play many different roles if you want.

ConsHorrible pay. Horrible benefits. Depending on your location, it can be an absolute miserable experience, with miserable people who are usually miserable due to CGX policies and pay cuts. Dying industry.

Advice to Senior ManagementI understand what you're doing with the LDP associates - it makes sense. You're also pretty good at shelling out your BS as I know most of the people in my class drank your kool-aid. So, I can't really blame you for doing what you've done in a down economy and a shrinking industry. However, I've been keeping track of CGX for the past 4 years and it's been doing fairly well. I think it's about time you start going for quality hires rather than quantity.

Learn a lot ..plenty of opportunity..Cheap

I have been working at Consolidated Graphics full-time

ProsGain plenty of knowledge
Peers are excellent to work with
Opportunity to get experience for recent graduate
Friendly work environment
Good promotion opportunity (mainly due to high turnover)

ConsHorrible benefits (can get cheaper plan outside of company)

High turnover (Don't get attached to working with same people b/c they'll be gone after less than year)

pay scale all over the place for same positions (You may be a better worker but may make 8k less than a new employee that don't know squat)

they pay who the want to pay good.

Bonuses (they don't tell you that only certain people at the company get them).....

Advice to Senior ManagementHave a set pay scale and/or pay people on experience and education and not the lowest you think you can get them on for....once a person finds out somebody doing the same job is making 8-10k less and year

Great Learning and Development Program

I have been working at Consolidated Graphics full-time for more than a year

ProsYou're hired fresh out of college - you get a salary, a steady paycheck, benefits and a GREAT LEARNING EXPERIENCE.

The LDP makes the transition from college life to professional life very natural, there are always people there to lean on for advice.

You can stand out or fit in as much as you want to - the more you volunteer for extra opportunities the more you are recognized and get additional opportunities.

The program has structure and benchmarks but each company runs the program differently and so experiences are typically tailored to achieve the individual's goals.

The experience you get in all different kinds of areas will give you skills you need for any career path.

You're also given the time and freedom to decide where you want your career to go.

It's a great training program!

ConsHigh starting salary but not always much increase once graduating from the program.
Benefits are not great

Hard work paid off for me, but doesn't for everyone

Purchasing (Former Employee)

I worked at Consolidated Graphics full-time for more than 5 years

ProsAdvancement is available. My experience was positive because I was given flexibility and was able to implement my own plans. I got some great experience, but I don't think everyone feels the same way. In many positions if you are just looking for a job, it's fine. If you are looking for a career, you may need to look elsewhere if you aren't confident in your direct supervisor.

ConsEmployee morale is a complete non-issue for management. The benefits are a joke - ask for more money to compensate, unless you can be on your spouse's plan. Upper management is very mercurial and doesn't communicate well with the rank and file. Extra hours are the norm for many positions.

Advice to Senior ManagementI really doubt that the upper management looks at sites like this for advice.

Horrible Management Ruined a Great Team

Information Technology (Former Employee)

I worked at Consolidated Graphics full-time

ProsMy co-workers were great people. Unfortunately, within a 6 month period we were all gone.

ConsManagement, management, management. They do not care about employees. Their view is everyone is replaceable and they dont care about you. Turnover rate is crazy high.

Advice to Senior ManagementCare about your employees and make it a fun work environment.Care about your employees and maybe they will quit leaving.

Okay.

LDP Associate (Current Employee)
Tukwila, WA

I have been working at Consolidated Graphics full-time for more than a year

ProsLearn a lot. Some fun travel.

ConsPay is low, not much time to become an expert.

Very cheap company to work for.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Consolidated Graphics

ProsOperates as a small company

ConsVery low pay and benefits.

Worked for Consolidated Graphics? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Consolidated Graphics reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Consolidated Graphics CEO Joe R. Davis. All 87 reviews posted anonymously by Consolidated Graphics employees.