Consolidated Graphics

Consolidated Graphics Reviews

Updated Apr 25, 2014

Consolidated Graphics Chairman and CEO Joe R. Davis

Joe R. Davis

Pros:
  • "Consolidated Graphics' Leadership Development Program allows Associates to really hone in on their strengths and allow them to choose their career path"
    in 6 reviews
  • "Many of the employees here are great people"
    in 5 reviews
Cons:
  • "work extremely long hours especially those who volunteer for peak seasons with extra comp"
    in 13 reviews
  • "High turnover because people find better opportunities"
    in 11 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Very cheap company to work for.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsOperates as a small company

ConsVery low pay and benefits.

My experience at Consolidated Graphics was challenging.

Leadership Development Program Associate (Former Employee)
    Saint Louis, MO

ProsI was able to learn about several aspects and be a part of several different departments in a short period of time.

ConsI had to change positions four times in less than a two month period. In the program, you're only supposed to rotate every 3-4 months. I was constantly having to adapt to new situations (which is good experience but stressful).

Advice to Senior ManagementN/A

Intern treatment for Associates

Associate (Current Employee)

ProsGood pay, work with peers around your age, and get a hands on lesson of all the ins and outs of printing. Annual associate meeting is a giant party for those who want to escape back to college life. The people you work with can be very helpful and you are given the opportunity to develop a very good relationship with people from all departments of your operating facility. Each individual facility has its own culture and feel (this is sometimes a pro and sometimes a con).

ConsAssociates are typically treated like interns and are asked to work 50-60 hour weeks with no extra pay. If your work load does not carry you past 8 hours a day you will be seen as a slacker and sometimes punished. The program is basically there to brain wash college grads into believing more hours you work the better employee you are. The associate meeting is basically a pep rally to keep those on the fence about quitting to stay. The program started as a great concept and it was prestigious to get into the program. However, with the fast growth of the program it is becoming diluted and seems like there is an expected higher turnover. They are trying to push people into sales in order to gain new leads from those who sink and give them to those who succeed. Some companies have President who cares about the program and thus treats their associates as adults. However, too many presidents are disrespectful and treat their associates as free labor often times in order to reduce over time for those on hourly wages.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease stop diluting this program. It is a great concept and has a great leader but the amount of people being poured into it makes it less prestigious.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Run unless you have a godfather in exec ranks watching out for you

Business Analyst (Former Employee)
    Houston, TX

ProsDecent location. Lots of work going on and all you have to do is express interest to be assigned to the project.

ConsBut be ready to be worked to the bone. Pay is/was sub-par. Constant backstabbing and sniping at each in the management ranks. Extremely siloed organization lacking a cohesive strategy.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone that you would listen to and pay attention to anyway.

Underpaid and heavily overworked

Associate- LDP (Former Employee)
    Milwaukee, WI

ProsMaximum exposure to many problematic situations that are begging for solutions.

ConsYou will NOT be provided any training for the roles you will assume nor the strenuous tasks you will be told to perform everyday. No one will help you, even when you beg them for two minutes of their time to help you.They will squeeze every drop of sweat and sanity out of you at a minimum of 12 hours a day, including weekends. Then, they will throw you away like a piece of garbage. Don't plan to have any sort of life outside of work.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhy bother, you won't listen anyway. The shareholders are the only people you care to please.

Not worth the drama

Houston, TX

ProsCan't think of anything specific.

ConsMediocre pay, heavy on drama, poor morale, high turnover, constant reorganization at the top, does not care about the people, only the bottom line. Completely political environment.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart over at the top, revamp the LDP to actually foster leaders and not use it to pump brainwashed and exhausted recent college grads into over-titled and under paid-positions. Realize that it's actual human beings that work there and that without the people, you won't have much for long.

They do not pay enough

Director (Current Employee)
    Houston, TX

ProsOpen to those who have an open mind. Lots of upside for people who like challanges

ConsThey do not pay enough.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay your people.

Very Painful

Milwaukee, WI

ProsIf you want to relocate to a different part of the country, you may have the opportunity to do so in the LDP program
    Some locations (plants) appreciate associates and treat you well most do not. I remember hearing that one of the Colorado locations had a great group.

ConsYou are asked to do things with little to no training and zero support from management. Just "figure it out and leave me alone" seemed to be the attitude. Apparently I should have realized that it is a "leadership development program" and not a "Management Training program". This is an important distinction because this means you will be thrown into the fire without proper training and held completely responsible.

EXTREMELY high turnover. I cannot stress this enough. When I was recruited for the LDP there were 6 other associates at my operating plant... When I left a year later I was the most veteran associate and I had seen a total of 8 associates leave the company. Most of them either did not have a job lined up or just grabbed whatever job they could to get out. I did not see one associate graduate the program.

They will try to schmooze you during the interview process. They might say "you will have all of these different opportunities to stand out and be a leader" and "This program is not for everyone, we are only looking for the best and brightest" What they are really looking for is someone who will give them 60 hours a week on a minimal salary helping operate an extremely under-qualified and understaffed production facility. They want someone that they can plug into every miserable position they have that comes up. For example: I knew someone who got stuck as a receiving clerk for 5 months. I knew someone who was asked to work 12 hours per day 7 days per week as the night shift overseeing the assembly line. That was their first five weeks and they quit shortly after. I mean... Why go to college if you just want to work you way from the ground up in a factory environment ? Unless you are a print major I honestly do not see the point in this program. It is just a ploy set up by the finance department and upper management as a way to cut costs and employ a more educated workforce at the ground level. The bottom line is they know what you are going to do is miserable and that you have about a 90% chance of leaving their company in the next 3 years.

Just a horrible experience

Advice to Senior ManagementJust be honest with these students you are recruiting into the program. Don't tell them that they are going to get tremendous opportunities to step up and show their leadership when you then turn around and stick them into a role such as receiving clerk for 5 months.

DONT GO HERE

San Antonio, TX

ProsEveryone is helpful i enjoy working here but some times workload is too much

Consbad pay and benefits, everyone get out when they get better offer

Advice to Senior Managementincrease pay

YOU have to carve your own path

Leadership Development Program Associate (Current Employee)
    Denver, CO

Pros-Leadership opportunities from the get-go. (Filled in for a manager who was out for a month after working here for 3 months)
    - Overall, good company moral (at the individual company in Denver), for CGX, it seems to be OK-- everyone will always gripe.
    - Willing to train you for 3 years
    - Push you to set goals and then expect you to meet them (this is where YOU carve your path)
    - Get to deal with high-profile clients at an Associate level

Cons- Long(er) hours -- 9/10 hour days
    - Mediocre pay & benefits (blame corporate, not the operating company)
    - If you want bigger, better, positions, you'll probably have to move

Advice to Senior ManagementFor the operating company, try to keep morale up, even after layoffs-- participate in activities outside of work. Showing 'us' that you're one of 'us' goes a long way.
    For Joe Davis-- work on LDP associate retention. While the LDP is your baby, heavy recruiting and hiring 8 new people in a year makes it difficult. It makes operations resent the LDP as well as higher turnover for associates. Most of us can get jobs in other fields, but our operating company MAKES us want to stay-- until we aren't challenged everyday and get bored, then it's time to pack our bags and move on.

Worked for Consolidated Graphics? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Consolidated Graphics reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Consolidated Graphics CEO Joe R. Davis. All 88 reviews posted anonymously by Consolidated Graphics employees.