Consolidated Graphics

Updated February 12, 2015
2.8

Consolidated Graphics Chairman and CEO Joe R. Davis
Joe R. Davis

Pros
  • Consolidated Graphics' Leadership Development Program allows Associates to really hone in on their strengths and allow them to choose their career path (in 7 reviews)

• Many of the employees here are great people (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • work extremely long hours especially those who volunteer for peak seasons with extra comp (in 13 reviews)

• High turnover because people find better opportunities (in 11 reviews)

More Highlights

Experienced QA Tester

Former Employee - QA Analyst in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - QA Analyst in Houston, TX

I worked at Consolidated Graphics

Pros

good Environment,Technology,Team
    Good Benefits,Good Culture

Cons

No Automation Testing,More structured, No work flexibilities like work from home

None

Good Riddance, CGX

I worked at Consolidated Graphics

Pros

At least my paycheck never bounced.

Cons

Joe Davis

Every other corporate hack working for Joe Davis

Poor business model (Designed to make JD richer and every employee poorer)

Go to Hell. Seriously.

Senior management never valued employees , but rather the stock price no matter the cost.

Former Employee - Senior Staff
    Former Employee - Senior Staff

I worked at Consolidated Graphics full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Any port in a storm.

Cons

Could never be candid with management. Only a few at the top are rewarded, but not even they are valued.

RRD owns the company now. They bought a pit of snakes with deplorable corporate values.

Company sold - don't recommend Leadership Development Program

Former Employee - Leadership Development Program Associate in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Leadership Development Program Associate in Houston, TX

I worked at Consolidated Graphics full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The other LDP associates were awesome. Also, if they allow you to choose the sales route vs the operational route (an unscrupulous company president didn't even let me do and learn the things an LDP is supposed to), it's a fast track to get sales experience to eventually take elsewhere.

Cons

Printing is a dying industry. For the most part, the LDP program is a "they work you to death for little money, they get cheap management, you get experience". You may learn a lot and may get a lot of high level experience at a young age, but they put pressure on you and put you in high level positions without compensation because you are an LDP. And there's no pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. LDP graduates get good positions but minimal raises leaving them underpaid.

Instead of working to consolidate a fractured industry into a massive company so you can sell it (I get it, I do), spend some time caring about your employees. There's. Reason there's a revolving door around this place. I know the company sold (the old owner and CEO was from Arthur Anderson and it showed, esp his accounting background), and I really hope the new company and management cares more about its people. It used to be all about the bottom line at the expense of its employees.

Leadership Development Program

I worked at Consolidated Graphics

Pros

The people in the program, for the most part are great. There are some that tend to be over the top and think by pushing others around will get them to the top. There are only two people in the program still there from last year where I worked. Even the president, who was only a president for 1 year is gone. Those two people are still making the same pay and doing the same job. What does that tell you?

Cons

It's a printing company. Think real hard about the outlook... enough said

Horrible

Former Employee - Production Manager in Smyrna, GA
    Former Employee - Production Manager in Smyrna, GA

I worked at Consolidated Graphics full-time (less than a year)

Pros

None. There were no pros other than a check.

Cons

Unstable management and all instructions came from "trainees"

Treat your employees better. Not your trainees.

Great if you were apart of the Leadership Development Program

Former Employee - Associate- LDP in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Associate- LDP in Houston, TX

I worked at Consolidated Graphics full-time (more than a year)

Pros

If you joined this company through the Leadership Development program, then you were set up for success. This was a rotational program that allowed you to experience different departments so that you could find your niche.

Cons

Salary was OK depending on what field you worked in. A lot of individuals in the company despised the program because they didn't understand why college kids got to come in and fluctuate through different departments.

Create a solid career plan for college students and stick with it. Individuals get burned out quick which causes high turnover rates.

Nothing to see here, Company Sold

Current Employee - Information Technology in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Information Technology in Houston, TX

I have been working at Consolidated Graphics full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Company was sold to RR Donnelley in February of 2014. Corporate office will likely be closed after job protection agreement expires in July 2015. Local facilities mileage may very but this company should not be considered for a corporate position.

Cons

Even before the sale, benefits were poor, turnover was very high due to lack of retention ambition. Now the company is sold and the remaining corporate employees are transitioning the company to the Chicago office. This is not being publicly recognized, the company is trying to put the best light possible on the situation to replace the large amount of people that are leaving.

Be honest with possible candidates or better yet, hire contract employees so it is clear that any opportunity can not be described as anything but finite.

A frustrating place to work.

I have been working at Consolidated Graphics full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Due to the cutbacks in staffing and the resulting increase in job responsibilities, each employee is typically given additional responsibilities well above and beyond their original job description. So, while you won't be paid more for your additional duties, you will gain experience in a large number of print-related roles that prepare you for a position elsewhere.

Free coffee. Always a plus.

Cons

The LDP Associate program, lauded as one of the company's strengths, is in actuality one of its biggest weaknesses. This program takes recent college graduates, who typically do not even have a long-term interest in the print industry, and places them into roles that they are not trained or ready for. Many of the LDPs wash out once they work at CGX for a year or so. Some stay on, and are promoted to positions they are absolutely not ready for, to the great detriment to the individual operating companies and to CGX as a whole. When you combine this with the targeted termination of highly-paid printing experts, experienced managers and trade craftsmen that used to make up the companies that CGX cannibalized, you get a recipe for exceptionally weak/clueless management without any hope for internal promotion of more qualified individuals.

The IT group, TSSG, is particularly staffed with "warm bodies" that have no business remaining in an IT role. There are some diamonds in the rough that carry the rest of the TSSG division.

No tuition reimbursement or continuing education programs.

As a general rule, pay for CGX employees is lower than industry average, there are no in-house promotions for the "non-LDP" workers, and office culture is somewhat demoralizing and frustrating.

The outgoing CEO had a great plan for himself, he cut the individual 70+ operating companies that made up CGX to the bone, and traded off of their once-respected brands until the termination of experienced staff and lack of equipment upgrades caught up with each individual operating company. He and the board sold to RR Donnelley for what he could get when it became apparent that the CGX business model was about to collapse under its own weight.

Currently Consolidated Graphics has been purchased by RR Donnelley, and 3 months into the merger there does not seem to be any change on the horizon (Positive or negative)

Advice to the management of RR Donnelley? The CGX employees don't even know who their RR Donnelley managers are. I trust that the management of RR Donnelley will do a better job than the management of Consolidated Graphics, it would be difficult to do worse.

DO NOT JOIN CGX

Former Employee - Business Management Associate in Timonium, MD
    Former Employee - Business Management Associate in Timonium, MD

I worked at Consolidated Graphics full-time (more than a year)

Pros

None. Fellow LDPs who I am still friends with.

Cons

I joined CGX out of College because I had a gpa under 3 and some issues and I was desperate to start a job. Even though I had these issues I still graduated from a top 50 school with 2 degrees and yet on my own accord I joined a company that was joke. I was embarassed to tell my friends who had real careers where I worked. I won't lie I bought into the sell and thought I was actually going to get somehwere in this career and this company plus I got business cards! By day 3 I was already applying to other companies, the president at my company near Balitmore is a joke, as I now have a real career I realized how much a manager or leader can do for a company and this guy did nothing I'm not even sure if the understands business. I apologize for the rant but I sacrificed 1.5 years of a solid starting salary because I thought I was going somewhere and I was desperate. My advice to new graduates is HOLD OUT. Don't buy into this joke of a company.

CONS:

-- Pay is $37,500 or roughly $18/hour.
    -- A lot of Labor.
    -- No 401(k)
    -- No sort of training or continuing education.
    -- Disorganized.
    -- Do you really need to know how to make the color blue?
    -- Software is from 1975.
    -- No way to develop any skills.
    -- Insurance is nonexistent.
    -- Most people have never worked anywhere else so there is no culture.

JUST STAY AWAY. I wish I had been given this advice when I was applying to this awful company.

Stop the LDP and revamp it. It could be pretty rewarding if you were comitted to retaining the college hires, there are so many things that could be improved to help your baseline if you didn't stick to the old method of doing things.

Consolidated Graphics Photos