Consolidated Graphics

Consolidated Graphics Reviews

Updated Apr 8, 2014

Consolidated Graphics Chairman and CEO Joe R. Davis

Joe R. Davis

Pros:
  • "Consolidated Graphics' Leadership Development Program allows Associates to really hone in on their strengths and allow them to choose their career path"
    in 6 reviews
  • "The Leadership Development Program is a wonderful training program that enables each employee to learn about the company from the ground up"
    in 6 reviews
Cons:
  • "work extremely long hours especially those who volunteer for peak seasons with extra comp"
    in 13 reviews
  • "High turnover because people find better opportunities"
    in 10 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Management after completing LDP

Management Associate (Current Employee)
Irvine, CA

I have been working at Consolidated Graphics full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGood short term projects to gain experience

ConsNot too many management opportunities

A frustrating place to work.

I have been working at Consolidated Graphics full-time for more than 8 years

ProsDue to the cutbacks in staffing and the resulting increase in job responsibilities, each employee is typically given additional responsibilities well above and beyond their original job description. So, while you won't be paid more for your additional duties, you will gain experience in a large number of print-related roles that prepare you for a position elsewhere.

Free coffee. Always a plus.

ConsThe LDP Associate program, lauded as one of the company's strengths, is in actuality one of its biggest weaknesses. This program takes recent college graduates, who typically do not even have a long-term interest in the print industry, and places them into roles that they are not trained or ready for. Many of the LDPs wash out once they work at CGX for a year or so. Some stay on, and are promoted to positions they are absolutely not ready for, to the great detriment to the individual operating companies and to CGX as a whole. When you combine this with the targeted termination of highly-paid printing experts, experienced managers and trade craftsmen that used to make up the companies that CGX cannibalized, you get a recipe for exceptionally weak/clueless management without any hope for internal promotion of more qualified individuals.

The IT group, TSSG, is particularly staffed with "warm bodies" that have no business remaining in an IT role. There are some diamonds in the rough that carry the rest of the TSSG division.

No tuition reimbursement or continuing education programs.

As a general rule, pay for CGX employees is lower than industry average, there are no in-house promotions for the "non-LDP" workers, and office culture is somewhat demoralizing and frustrating.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe outgoing CEO had a great plan for himself, he cut the individual 70+ operating companies that made up CGX to the bone, and traded off of their once-respected brands until the termination of experienced staff and lack of equipment upgrades caught up with each individual operating company. He and the board sold to RR Donnelley for what he could get when it became apparent that the CGX business model was about to collapse under its own weight.

Currently Consolidated Graphics has been purchased by RR Donnelley, and 3 months into the merger there does not seem to be any change on the horizon (Positive or negative)

Advice to the management of RR Donnelley? The CGX employees don't even know who their RR Donnelley managers are. I trust that the management of RR Donnelley will do a better job than the management of Consolidated Graphics, it would be difficult to do worse.

If you have industry experience Stay away

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
Macedonia, OH

I worked at Consolidated Graphics full-time for more than 8 years

ProsIt was a job, period.

ConsRun by a bunch of accountants not printers.
They hired kids right out of college, for the Leadership Development Program, with no industry experience and then laidoff the people with experience. This is how they lowered their payrolls.
I saw more mistakes in 1 month at AGS Custom Graphics then a previous union printing company I worked at had in 2 years.

Advice to Senior ManagementGlad RRD bought you, now you will have to find new employment. I hope someone treats you like you treated your employees.

Decent company for some career opportunities in printing but just do not show that they care about their employees

I have been working at Consolidated Graphics full-time for more than 3 years

ProsVariety of companies, expertise in industry, footprint across the country, local companies operate somewhat independently in their given market, national resources available for national program work

ConsVarious companies are very fragmented, lack of care for employees (most evident by terrible insurance benfits and non-matching 401K), high turnover rate corporate-wide, corporate communication is very poor

Advice to Senior ManagementTurn over is very high and it's due to the fact that retaining valuable employees and advancing well-performing employees is a low priority to corporate.

People are great to work with, job makes you not want to go to work

I have been working at Consolidated Graphics full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGreat People to work with
A lot of knowledge gain
Flexibility in work sometimes

Cons24/7 workload
Last minute work
Expect something in the drop of a dime
Too many wann be bosses and not enough procedures
No one wants to give the answer "NO"
Everyone is a kiss a**.

Review

I have been working at Consolidated Graphics

ProsNo real company issues to list

ConsNo cons or problems to list

Good experience for first job out of college but prepare to work long hours for minimal compensation.

LDP Associate (Former Employee)

I worked at Consolidated Graphics full-time for more than a year

Pros-Experience in several departments
-Vacation days given up front
-Other LDPs are cool people
-Pretty good mentor program

Cons-Expected to work 10 hour days with no overtime pay
-High turnover because people find better opportunities
-Cookie cutter offers and raises no matter how well you perform roughly 3-4%
-Awful health insurance and dental insurance options
-Little respect from management

Advice to Senior ManagementPay your people! Reward people for exceptional work. There is no reason to work yourself to death for no reward.

TSSG - Cheap company - no benefits, pay below industry averages, poor management, old applications, on-call assignments.

IT Support (Current Employee)
Houston, TX

I have been working at Consolidated Graphics full-time for more than a year

ProsThere are plenty of strip clubs in close vicinity.

Cons* No 401(k) match
* Expensive benefits ~ $400 for a single person per month
* Pay below industry averages
* No pay increases. Not even to compensate for inflation
* On-call over the weekend
* High turnover in every department and at all levels. Best employees leave in less than a year
* Continuously adding to job duties
* Old computer / cell equipment
* Old applications that do not work with the latest IE browser. Continuously downgrade users' browsers as a workaround
* No training
* No SOPs
* Backstabbing from managers
* Managers have online degrees / certifications
* Just acquired by RR Donnelley ... An equally awful company

Advice to Senior ManagementHire good and knowledgeable managers and employees. Pay higher salaries and provide benefits ... Yeah right, will never happen.

Lack of Business Knowledge

Customer Service Representative (Former Employee)
Streamwood, IL

I worked at Consolidated Graphics full-time for more than a year

ProsThere are no pros to share.

ConsThe office I worked in was very negative atmosphere and lacked encouragement. Along that there was a lack of communication and lack of employee tree structure. No chance of moving up just laterally.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet a President that cares about his employees not just about himself and the profits.

Great LDP program , great learning opportunity

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Consolidated Graphics

ProsGreat co workers and learning on the job

ConsPay is less than average

Worked for Consolidated Graphics? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Consolidated Graphics reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Consolidated Graphics CEO Joe R. Davis. All 87 reviews posted anonymously by Consolidated Graphics employees.