Consolidated Graphics Reviews

• Part-time
Employment Status

Reset

Leadership Development Program

Pros

The people in the program, for the most part are great. There are some that tend to be over the top and think by pushing others around will get them to the top. There are only two people in the program still there from last year where I worked. Even the president, who was only a president for 1 year is gone. Those two people are still making the same pay and doing the same job. What does that tell you?

Cons

It's a printing company. Think real hard about the outlook... enough said

Horrible

Former Employee - Production Manager in Smyrna, GA
    Former Employee - Production Manager in Smyrna, GA

I worked at Consolidated Graphics full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

None. There were no pros other than a check.

Cons

Unstable management and all instructions came from "trainees"

Advice to Management

Treat your employees better. Not your trainees.

3. Great if you were apart of the Leadership Development Program

Former Employee - Associate- LDP in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Associate- LDP in Houston, TX

I worked at Consolidated Graphics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you joined this company through the Leadership Development program, then you were set up for success. This was a rotational program that allowed you to experience different departments so that you could find your niche.

Cons

Salary was OK depending on what field you worked in. A lot of individuals in the company despised the program because they didn't understand why college kids got to come in and fluctuate through different departments.

Advice to Management

Create a solid career plan for college students and stick with it. Individuals get burned out quick which causes high turnover rates.

5. Nothing to see here, Company Sold

Current Employee - Information Technology in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Information Technology in Houston, TX

I have been working at Consolidated Graphics full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Company was sold to RR Donnelley in February of 2014. Corporate office will likely be closed after job protection agreement expires in July 2015. Local facilities mileage may very but this company should not be considered for a corporate position.

Cons

Even before the sale, benefits were poor, turnover was very high due to lack of retention ambition. Now the company is sold and the remaining corporate employees are transitioning the company to the Chicago office. This is not being publicly recognized, the company is trying to put the best light possible on the situation to replace the large amount of people that are leaving.

Advice to Management

Be honest with possible candidates or better yet, hire contract employees so it is clear that any opportunity can not be described as anything but finite.

A frustrating place to work.

I have been working at Consolidated Graphics full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Due to the cutbacks in staffing and the resulting increase in job responsibilities, each employee is typically given additional responsibilities well above and beyond their original job description. So, while you won't be paid more for your additional duties, you will gain experience in a large number of print-related roles that prepare you for a position elsewhere. Free coffee. Always a plus.

Cons

The LDP Associate program, lauded as one of the company's strengths, is in actuality one of its biggest weaknesses. This program takes recent college graduates, who typically do not even have a long-term interest in the print industry, and places them into roles that they are not trained or ready for. Many of the LDPs wash out once they work at CGX for a year or so. Some stay on, and are promoted to positions they are absolutely not ready for, to the great detriment to the individual operating companies and to CGX as a whole. When you combine this with the targeted termination of highly-paid printing experts, experienced managers and trade craftsmen that used to make up the companies that CGX cannibalized, you get a recipe for exceptionally weak/clueless management without any hope for internal promotion of more qualified individuals. The IT group, TSSG, is particularly staffed with "warm bodies" that have no business remaining in an IT role. There are some diamonds in the rough that carry the rest of the TSSG division. No tuition reimbursement or continuing education programs. As a general rule, pay for CGX employees is lower than industry average, there are no in-house promotions for the "non-LDP" workers, and office culture is somewhat demoralizing and frustrating.

Advice to Management

The outgoing CEO had a great plan for himself, he cut the individual 70+ operating companies that made up CGX to the bone, and traded off of their once-respected brands until the termination of experienced staff and lack of equipment upgrades caught up with each individual operating company. He and the board sold to RR Donnelley for what he could get when it became apparent that the CGX business model was about to collapse under its own weight. Currently Consolidated Graphics has been purchased by RR Donnelley, and 3 months into the merger there does not seem to be any change on the horizon (Positive or negative) Advice to the management of RR Donnelley? The CGX employees don't even know who their RR Donnelley managers are. I trust that the management of RR Donnelley will do a better job than the management of Consolidated Graphics, it would be difficult to do worse.

DO NOT JOIN CGX

Former Employee - Business Management Associate in Timonium, MD
    Former Employee - Business Management Associate in Timonium, MD

I worked at Consolidated Graphics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

None. Fellow LDPs who I am still friends with.

Cons

I joined CGX out of College because I had a gpa under 3 and some issues and I was desperate to start a job. Even though I had these issues I still graduated from a top 50 school with 2 degrees and yet on my own accord I joined a company that was joke. I was embarassed to tell my friends who had real careers where I worked. I won't lie I bought into the sell and thought I was actually going to get somehwere in this career and this company plus I got business cards! By day 3 I was already applying to other companies, the president at my company near Balitmore is a joke, as I now have a real career I realized how much a manager or leader can do for a company and this guy did nothing I'm not even sure if the understands business. I apologize for the rant but I sacrificed 1.5 years of a solid starting salary because I thought I was going somewhere and I was desperate. My advice to new graduates is HOLD OUT. Don't buy into this joke of a company. CONS: -- Pay is $37,500 or roughly $18/hour. -- A lot of Labor. -- No 401(k) -- No sort of training or continuing education. -- Disorganized. -- Do you really need to know how to make the color blue? -- Software is from 1975. -- No way to develop any skills. -- Insurance is nonexistent. -- Most people have never worked anywhere else so there is no culture. JUST STAY AWAY. I wish I had been given this advice when I was applying to this awful company.

Advice to Management

Stop the LDP and revamp it. It could be pretty rewarding if you were comitted to retaining the college hires, there are so many things that could be improved to help your baseline if you didn't stick to the old method of doing things.

8. If you have industry experience Stay away

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Macedonia, OH
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Macedonia, OH

I worked at Consolidated Graphics full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

It was a job, period.

Cons

Run by a bunch of accountants not printers. They hired kids right out of college, for the Leadership Development Program, with no industry experience and then laidoff the people with experience. This is how they lowered their payrolls. I saw more mistakes in 1 month at AGS Custom Graphics then a previous union printing company I worked at had in 2 years.

Advice to Management

Glad RRD bought you, now you will have to find new employment. I hope someone treats you like you treated your employees.

Decent company for some career opportunities in printing but just do not show that they care about their employees

I have been working at Consolidated Graphics full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Variety of companies, expertise in industry, footprint across the country, local companies operate somewhat independently in their given market, national resources available for national program work

Cons

Various companies are very fragmented, lack of care for employees (most evident by terrible insurance benfits and non-matching 401K), high turnover rate corporate-wide, corporate communication is very poor

Advice to Management

Turn over is very high and it's due to the fact that retaining valuable employees and advancing well-performing employees is a low priority to corporate.

People are great to work with, job makes you not want to go to work

I have been working at Consolidated Graphics full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great People to work with A lot of knowledge gain Flexibility in work sometimes

Cons

24/7 workload Last minute work Expect something in the drop of a dime Too many wann be bosses and not enough procedures No one wants to give the answer "NO" Everyone is a kiss a**.

11. Management after completing LDP

Current Employee - Management Associate in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Management Associate in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Consolidated Graphics full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good short term projects to gain experience

Cons

Not too many management opportunities

RSS Feed </> Embed