Consolidated Graphics Reviews

Updated July 14, 2014

2.0

Consolidated Graphics Chairman and CEO Joe R. Davis
Joe R. Davis

Pros
  • Consolidated Graphics' Leadership Development Program allows Associates to really hone in on their strengths and allow them to choose their career path (in 7 reviews)

• Many of the employees here are great people (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • work extremely long hours especially those who volunteer for peak seasons with extra comp (in 13 reviews)

• High turnover because people find better opportunities (in 11 reviews)

More Highlights

Go anywhere else!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I worked at Consolidated Graphics full-time for more than a year

Pros

Many of the employees here are great people. It amazed me how a company with such a bad tone at the top could have such great people working under it.

Cons

The main problems I had while working at CGX could be gathered into: (1) Execs and upper management do not care the slightest bit about employee retention. The CEO believes high turnover is good for a company. The result? You are not valued (and they don't even try to pretend to make you feel like you are). (2) The lack of benefits. Literally any other company you go to will have a better health insurance plan at a cheaper price. I paid $250 a month (employee only) for their cheapest insurance option. They do not offer 401k matching. Salaries are not competitive with the market. If you are looking for a company that cares about its employees, look elsewhere. If you are unemployed and are desperate for a job, work at CGX until you find something better.

Increase employee morale with benefits and programs showing the company cares about its employees. Pay your employees more. At least put the employees whose pay you cut 5 years ago back to their starting point. Offer 401k matching. At least offer better health insurance coverage if the costs are going to be so high.

CGX - TSSG management does not take care for their employees, explains why turn over is so high.

Former Employee - Applications Developer  in  Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Applications Developer in Houston, TX

I worked at Consolidated Graphics full-time for more than a year

Pros

It is a Job. And it is close to several good restaurants.

Cons

Pay is low for the amount of work expected (after-hours and weekend work without pay).
    Expensive Health benefits.
    The different groups do not work well together (Developer vs Project Management).
    Some managers do not have any managerial skills (programmer promotion to Manager).
    Too much turn over - people leaving every week (some people have left after only a few months there).
    Never park in the bottom of the garage, because it floods.
    And do not go to HR about any issues, they will let you go...

Hire some people as manager that actually have a Management degree.
    The lack of an actual Sick Day policy in the employee handbook make life confusing.

If you are looking for a solid company that creates a good work environment and fair pay, CGX is not your company.

I have been working at Consolidated Graphics full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

If you are a graduate straight out of college, this is a great starter company and a good way to pad your resume.

Cons

There are no raises, only steady pay and/or eventual pay cuts. CGX does the bare minimum possible for their long term employees. While I am fully aware of the economic situation, CGX does nothing to provide real, motivating incentive to be loyal to their company. In my experience, people only work for CGX companies because they have to due to the economy, not because they necessarily enjoy what they do.

Take better care of your on the ground employees, they are your biggest asset.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

The experience you gain will lead to bigger and better things.

Current Employee - Leadership Development Program Associate  in  Laurel, MD
    Current Employee - Leadership Development Program Associate in Laurel, MD

I have been working at Consolidated Graphics full-time for more than a year

Pros

As part of the Leadership Development Program, you are able to learn a lot in a short period of time and work in different parts of the company (customer service, estimating, accounting, etc.) to garner more experience than most recent college grads.

Cons

The Leadership Development Program boasts that you could become a company president one day, but they give you no visibility of how to get there.

They expect you to work to the bone and "pay your dues" for little or no respect.

They view everyone as "replaceable", and they aren't afraid to tell that to your face.

Fairly compensate your employees and show that you value them.

Let this company be your last option!!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I worked at Consolidated Graphics full-time for more than a year

Pros

Consolidated Graphics looks great on your resume.

Cons

They don't care about their employees and most leave after a year or two.

Leadership Development Program - biggest scam out there

Current Employee - Leadership Development Program Associate  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Leadership Development Program Associate in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Consolidated Graphics full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Steady Salary, more money spent to recruit and impress graduates than training and pay.

Cons

The division to 'sell' the leadership development program to college graduates is is separate from the actual managers, sister companies, and employees that work there. Company is behind in technology, you WILL work 60hrs a week. Good ol boy system, but the good ol boys are uneducated sales men, not business men. As an employee you will be taken advantage of and produce much much more profit for the company than you are equitably salaried. Grim outlook / AT ALL COSTS AVOID SOUTHEAST COMPANIES, ESPECIALLY FLORIDA. No 401k as well.

Your operations are a joke (unprofessional at best), more HR issues than I can think of, your CEO is barely there (when asked questions about future growth, response was racist comments about hunting). Current corporate structure is path to destruction/ let those who sell the leadership development program actually train and manage hirees.

Great Learning and Development Program

Current Employee - Leadership Development Program Associate
    Current Employee - Leadership Development Program Associate

I have been working at Consolidated Graphics full-time for more than a year

Pros

You're hired fresh out of college - you get a salary, a steady paycheck, benefits and a GREAT LEARNING EXPERIENCE.

The LDP makes the transition from college life to professional life very natural, there are always people there to lean on for advice.

You can stand out or fit in as much as you want to - the more you volunteer for extra opportunities the more you are recognized and get additional opportunities.

The program has structure and benchmarks but each company runs the program differently and so experiences are typically tailored to achieve the individual's goals.

The experience you get in all different kinds of areas will give you skills you need for any career path.

You're also given the time and freedom to decide where you want your career to go.

It's a great training program!

Cons

High starting salary but not always much increase once graduating from the program.
    Benefits are not great

Hard work paid off for me, but doesn't for everyone

Former Employee - Purchasing  in  Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Purchasing in Houston, TX

I worked at Consolidated Graphics full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Advancement is available. My experience was positive because I was given flexibility and was able to implement my own plans. I got some great experience, but I don't think everyone feels the same way. In many positions if you are just looking for a job, it's fine. If you are looking for a career, you may need to look elsewhere if you aren't confident in your direct supervisor.

Cons

Employee morale is a complete non-issue for management. The benefits are a joke - ask for more money to compensate, unless you can be on your spouse's plan. Upper management is very mercurial and doesn't communicate well with the rank and file. Extra hours are the norm for many positions.

I really doubt that the upper management looks at sites like this for advice.

There are upsides and downsides

Former Employee - Associate- LDP  in  Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Associate- LDP in Houston, TX

I worked at Consolidated Graphics full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

HR at corporate works with those that want to excel within the company, but you have to initiate. Plenty of opportunities to move. HR has a great team. Chance to play many different roles if you want.

Cons

Horrible pay. Horrible benefits. Depending on your location, it can be an absolute miserable experience, with miserable people who are usually miserable due to CGX policies and pay cuts. Dying industry.

I understand what you're doing with the LDP associates - it makes sense. You're also pretty good at shelling out your BS as I know most of the people in my class drank your kool-aid. So, I can't really blame you for doing what you've done in a down economy and a shrinking industry. However, I've been keeping track of CGX for the past 4 years and it's been doing fairly well. I think it's about time you start going for quality hires rather than quantity.

Learn a lot ..plenty of opportunity..Cheap

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I have been working at Consolidated Graphics full-time

Pros

Gain plenty of knowledge
    Peers are excellent to work with
    Opportunity to get experience for recent graduate
    Friendly work environment
    Good promotion opportunity (mainly due to high turnover)

Cons

Horrible benefits (can get cheaper plan outside of company)

High turnover (Don't get attached to working with same people b/c they'll be gone after less than year)

pay scale all over the place for same positions (You may be a better worker but may make 8k less than a new employee that don't know squat)

they pay who the want to pay good.

Bonuses (they don't tell you that only certain people at the company get them).....

Have a set pay scale and/or pay people on experience and education and not the lowest you think you can get them on for....once a person finds out somebody doing the same job is making 8-10k less and year

Worked for Consolidated Graphics? Contribute to the Community!