Consolidated Graphics Reviews

Updated July 14, 2014

2.0

Consolidated Graphics Chairman and CEO Joe R. Davis
Joe R. Davis

Pros
  • Consolidated Graphics' Leadership Development Program allows Associates to really hone in on their strengths and allow them to choose their career path (in 7 reviews)

• Many of the employees here are great people (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • work extremely long hours especially those who volunteer for peak seasons with extra comp (in 13 reviews)

• High turnover because people find better opportunities (in 11 reviews)

More Highlights

Horrible Management Ruined a Great Team

Former Employee - Information Technology  in  Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Information Technology in Houston, TX

I worked at Consolidated Graphics full-time

Pros

My co-workers were great people. Unfortunately, within a 6 month period we were all gone.

Cons

Management, management, management. They do not care about employees. Their view is everyone is replaceable and they dont care about you. Turnover rate is crazy high.

Care about your employees and make it a fun work environment.Care about your employees and maybe they will quit leaving.

Okay.

Current Employee - Ldp Associate  in  Tukwila, WA
    Current Employee - Ldp Associate in Tukwila, WA

I have been working at Consolidated Graphics full-time for more than a year

Pros

Learn a lot. Some fun travel.

Cons

Pay is low, not much time to become an expert.

Very cheap company to work for.

I worked at Consolidated Graphics

Pros

Operates as a small company

Cons

Very low pay and benefits.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

My experience at Consolidated Graphics was challenging.

Former Employee - Leadership Development Program Associate  in  Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Leadership Development Program Associate in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Consolidated Graphics full-time for less than a year

Pros

I was able to learn about several aspects and be a part of several different departments in a short period of time.

Cons

I had to change positions four times in less than a two month period. In the program, you're only supposed to rotate every 3-4 months. I was constantly having to adapt to new situations (which is good experience but stressful).

N/A

Intern treatment for Associates

Current Employee - Associate
    Current Employee - Associate

I have been working at Consolidated Graphics full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good pay, work with peers around your age, and get a hands on lesson of all the ins and outs of printing. Annual associate meeting is a giant party for those who want to escape back to college life. The people you work with can be very helpful and you are given the opportunity to develop a very good relationship with people from all departments of your operating facility. Each individual facility has its own culture and feel (this is sometimes a pro and sometimes a con).

Cons

Associates are typically treated like interns and are asked to work 50-60 hour weeks with no extra pay. If your work load does not carry you past 8 hours a day you will be seen as a slacker and sometimes punished. The program is basically there to brain wash college grads into believing more hours you work the better employee you are. The associate meeting is basically a pep rally to keep those on the fence about quitting to stay. The program started as a great concept and it was prestigious to get into the program. However, with the fast growth of the program it is becoming diluted and seems like there is an expected higher turnover. They are trying to push people into sales in order to gain new leads from those who sink and give them to those who succeed. Some companies have President who cares about the program and thus treats their associates as adults. However, too many presidents are disrespectful and treat their associates as free labor often times in order to reduce over time for those on hourly wages.

Please stop diluting this program. It is a great concept and has a great leader but the amount of people being poured into it makes it less prestigious.

Run unless you have a godfather in exec ranks watching out for you

Former Employee - Business Analyst  in  Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Business Analyst in Houston, TX

I worked at Consolidated Graphics full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Decent location. Lots of work going on and all you have to do is express interest to be assigned to the project.

Cons

But be ready to be worked to the bone. Pay is/was sub-par. Constant backstabbing and sniping at each in the management ranks. Extremely siloed organization lacking a cohesive strategy.

None that you would listen to and pay attention to anyway.

Underpaid and heavily overworked

Former Employee - Associate- LDP  in  Milwaukee, WI
    Former Employee - Associate- LDP in Milwaukee, WI

I worked at Consolidated Graphics full-time for less than a year

Pros

Maximum exposure to many problematic situations that are begging for solutions.

Cons

You will NOT be provided any training for the roles you will assume nor the strenuous tasks you will be told to perform everyday. No one will help you, even when you beg them for two minutes of their time to help you.They will squeeze every drop of sweat and sanity out of you at a minimum of 12 hours a day, including weekends. Then, they will throw you away like a piece of garbage. Don't plan to have any sort of life outside of work.

Why bother, you won't listen anyway. The shareholders are the only people you care to please.

Not worth the drama

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I worked at Consolidated Graphics full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Can't think of anything specific.

Cons

Mediocre pay, heavy on drama, poor morale, high turnover, constant reorganization at the top, does not care about the people, only the bottom line. Completely political environment.

Start over at the top, revamp the LDP to actually foster leaders and not use it to pump brainwashed and exhausted recent college grads into over-titled and under paid-positions. Realize that it's actual human beings that work there and that without the people, you won't have much for long.

They do not pay enough

Current Employee - Director  in  Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Director in Houston, TX

I have been working at Consolidated Graphics for more than 8 years

Pros

Open to those who have an open mind. Lots of upside for people who like challanges

Cons

They do not pay enough.

Pay your people.

Very Painful

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Milwaukee, WI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milwaukee, WI

I worked at Consolidated Graphics full-time for more than a year

Pros

If you want to relocate to a different part of the country, you may have the opportunity to do so in the LDP program
    Some locations (plants) appreciate associates and treat you well most do not. I remember hearing that one of the Colorado locations had a great group.

Cons

You are asked to do things with little to no training and zero support from management. Just "figure it out and leave me alone" seemed to be the attitude. Apparently I should have realized that it is a "leadership development program" and not a "Management Training program". This is an important distinction because this means you will be thrown into the fire without proper training and held completely responsible.

EXTREMELY high turnover. I cannot stress this enough. When I was recruited for the LDP there were 6 other associates at my operating plant... When I left a year later I was the most veteran associate and I had seen a total of 8 associates leave the company. Most of them either did not have a job lined up or just grabbed whatever job they could to get out. I did not see one associate graduate the program.

They will try to schmooze you during the interview process. They might say "you will have all of these different opportunities to stand out and be a leader" and "This program is not for everyone, we are only looking for the best and brightest" What they are really looking for is someone who will give them 60 hours a week on a minimal salary helping operate an extremely under-qualified and understaffed production facility. They want someone that they can plug into every miserable position they have that comes up. For example: I knew someone who got stuck as a receiving clerk for 5 months. I knew someone who was asked to work 12 hours per day 7 days per week as the night shift overseeing the assembly line. That was their first five weeks and they quit shortly after. I mean... Why go to college if you just want to work you way from the ground up in a factory environment ? Unless you are a print major I honestly do not see the point in this program. It is just a ploy set up by the finance department and upper management as a way to cut costs and employ a more educated workforce at the ground level. The bottom line is they know what you are going to do is miserable and that you have about a 90% chance of leaving their company in the next 3 years.

Just a horrible experience

Just be honest with these students you are recruiting into the program. Don't tell them that they are going to get tremendous opportunities to step up and show their leadership when you then turn around and stick them into a role such as receiving clerk for 5 months.

Worked for Consolidated Graphics? Contribute to the Community!