Constant Contact Reviews

Reset
3.6
Constant Contact Chairman, President, and CEO Gail F. Goodman
Gail F. Goodman

Pros
  • Work-life balance; I never take stuff home (in 13 reviews)

• good benefits, beer cart fridays, some of the teams show good teamwork (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • You have senior management that prostitutes customer data to sketchy "partners" for cross selling that only net (in 6 reviews)

• They have turned their call center into sweatshop in cubicles (in 5 reviews)

1. Great Benefits+

I worked at Constant Contact full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great benefits; takes care of its employees; flexible hours

Cons

Flexible hours can some sometimes mean working many weekends; too many layers of management who don't know what the "nuts and bolts" people do; outdated software

Advice to Management

Less meetings; more doing

Great group of people

Former Employee - Software Engineer in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in New York, NY

I worked at Constant Contact full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Numerous opportunities to better yourself via conferences, learning tools, code reviews, and very sharp people to work alongside.
    - Family friendly, go home at a normal hour, and I rarely brought my work home.
    - Fair - my supervisor met with me for 1-1's regularly, my requests/suggestions which weren't always simple were given serious consideration and acted on when warranted. I always felt like a valued employee and working hard was a joy.
    - Fun - This is in the eye of the beholder, and you get what you put into something, but when I left this company, I knew I'd be hard pressed to beat the culture here.

Cons

Like any big organization, change, new technologies, etc were tough, but that's to be expected and in hindsight, not every new thing is good to embrace anyway. There also felt like a lot of management. More than was necessary, but I didn't find it a serious detractor.

Advice to Management

Keep making your employees feel valued, their happiness is ultimately what will drive the company forward.

Happy

Current Employee - Senior Software QE in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software QE in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Constant Contact (More than a year)

Pros

I have been working in the San Francisco office for about a year. There is a somewhat different culture in San Francisco than in Waltham and I want to address that for those considering working here in SF so you can understand that we are isolated from some of the previously-mentioned issues the other offices face.

The San Francisco team is stacked with solid contributors, team players, problem-solvers, and people who get the job done. We collaborate. We communicate clearly. We take tons of pride in what we do. We are friendly. We are helpful. Our leaders know when to help and when to stay out of the way. I am typically a pretty cynical person about work and I can say honestly that this may be the best shop I've worked in.

Cons

Like every big, older company, Constant Contact has some baggage. It's inevitable. What that means is that there are some inflexible and entrenched processes/people who make innovation challenging/frustrating. I am confident that senior leadership is aware of the issues and is working to address the problem. However, sometimes the result of these processes is that our team in San Francisco ends up moving more slowly sometimes than we would like to/are capable of. That said, I still think it's a great place to work. And don't get me wrong: There are quite a few really bright, helpful, team players in Waltham too.

5. Promotions

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Waltham, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Waltham, MA

I have been working at Constant Contact (More than 3 years)

Pros

work life balance
    Good medical benefits

Cons

Smoke n mirrors when they say it is about the customer
    Different rules (each team) on being promoted at the mgmt level
    If you want work somewhere where people show up and work 4-5 hrs a day and not build a career this place is for you

Advice to Management

Director level,and above get a clue on what's really going on with your teams. Show some guts and start holdings people responsible for their work

Senior Software Engineer

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I worked at Constant Contact

Pros

1. Gave the Employee a lot of room to do their job
    2. Energetic staff
    3. Strong Change Agent mindset
    4. A relaxed approach to work

Cons

1. Too many meetings
    2. Schedule conflicts are out of control
    3. Silo - almost like a mini-IBM
    4. Not a place for innovation or pushing the edge
    5. Old vs new conflict

Advice to Management

1. Change for the sake of changing is not a model for successful project management
    2. Less Management (esp. at the middle levels)
    3. Try integrated solutions
    4. Require mentoring esp. in Engineering

Jun 1, 2015Constant Contact

Thanks for the feedback! We appreciate your thoughts and suggestions, and we're happy say that we’re in the midst of finding solutions surrounding that. As you know, Constant Contact is big on ... More

Email Wasteland: How Constant Contact Lost It’s Spark And What It Can Do To Get It Back

Former Employee - Inside Sales in Waltham, MA
    Former Employee - Inside Sales in Waltham, MA

I worked at Constant Contact full-time (More than a year)

Pros

While the heart of any company can be debated, the overall life-force of revenue comes from the sales division. During my time at the company, I was often confused, upset, mislead, and baffled on the overall direction of the sales department. As I read these reviews 100% understand the bitterness former employees have. However, Glassdoor should be used as a reflection for improvement for future the Constant Contact employees; not a soapbox to air grievances. Please note with a large company different divisions have different experiences; this review is for SALES division only during my time at Headquarters in Waltham, MA.

Cons

Constant Contact’s biggest problem is they give you a job, not a career. Again, Constant Contact’s biggest problem is they give you a job, not a career. Some red flags became apparent after Day 1:

You will be hired under the impression you’re joining a “super cool tech company with tons of mobility to peruse growth” but you’re not. Essentially this is a “turn them and burn them” position. I really wish it wasn’t because the potential is so great to be an amazing sales origination. During my first week it became clear that the sales department is blacklisted as the “bad eggs” of the company and tends to be avoided.

My training class out-performed most of the President Club Sales Members of 2011-2013 during Toolkits first month. Upon this hot-streak, they canceled the points-structure bonus program, re-treated to an old platform, and programmed us to hustle “free web site templates” all Summer into the Fall. Essentially this brought a bonus check from $3,5000 to barely $1,200. The moral of the group fell apart, sales numbers hit an all time low, and slowly the environment has become more toxic overtime.

Sales Managers/Leadership: A simple LinkedIn search of management can show you that most are not qualified to hold the positions they have. Most of the management in charge have been at the company fresh from college, sold/rented cars, or worked retail at the mall. They have little experience dealing with high revenue, adaptation of changes in the market, or utilizing proper talent. There is a good chance that you will have more life/sales experience than your superiors when working at Constant Contact.

I’m in my late 20’s; most sales jobs grant you experience to ultimately make you better. I can honestly say this one made me worse. Career wise, it was a huge back-step and I felt duped once I had the scheme figured out. It killed my passion, made me angry at myself, and I really needed to de-active all the horrible habits I picked up.

Advice to Management

Steve Jobs once said, “It doesn’t make sense to hire smart people and tell them what to do; hire smart people so they can tell us what to do.” This company needs to embrace new ideas, give employees a voice, and equip them with leadership who do not see this as a treat but an evolution to take customer acquistion to a whole new level.

Constant Contact needs to have a Wizard of Oz moment where they pull back the curtain and see what’s really going on in their sales organization. What Gail will discover is they have developed a culture of fear, insecurity, confusion, and disappointment that has driven top performers out the door in droves. Your staff is terrified to speak up because they are trying to protect themselves.Egg-shells don’t build strong sales forces. Until that day comes, sadly we will see what could have been a powerhouse of a marketing industry sadly dissolve into a shadow of the company it could have been.

Jun 18, 2015Constant Contact

Thank you very much for your contribution while you were at Constant Contact. We also appreciate your candid, constructive feedback. Leadership has taken note of the suggestions you have made and can ... More

AR Specialist

Current Employee - AR Specialist
    Current Employee - AR Specialist

I have been working at Constant Contact full-time

Pros

Overall, great bunch of folks working here. Look you in the eye and are respectful. Nice amenities such as beverages - hot and cold - always available. Fridges to keep food cool or frozen. Microwaves to heat things up. Snacks and other goodies with easy access and are subsidized. Fun and silly events to help reduce stress and bring worker-bees closer. Nice mix of distractions during breaks - videos games and TV, yet a quiet space for reading or studying.
    Management is open to consideration of new ideas and thoughts. Alternatives available if needed or wanted such as Work from Home.
    I speak from experience in the Call Center, however there are other types of jobs which are not related to providing customer service over the phone daily.
    Company is growing and has grown since inception. The company tries not to change to much from being the "small business" company offering small businesses and non-profits technological services for marketing their products/services.

Cons

There can be too much social stuff and as such some favoritism, but that can be found anywhere. It does exist here. Management allows it at the top level, so it does trickle down. Folks can be promoted because they are liked and not so much because of merit or skills. The workplace has changed a great deal over the years and this place is not an exception. (good and bad).
    There are times when management appears to have sight for only their vision and unable to grasp something different especially if it is not something they are familiar with.
    I will note here that there has been nothing of such great substance which has caused me to consider departing immediately.

Advice to Management

Look beyond favorites and the social. See the skills folks bring to your organization and truly attempt to get the most out of the individual.

9. Rewarding company culture

I worked at Constant Contact

Pros

Loved the positive, energetic company meetings and felt they really reward employees for their time. Anniversary gifts are given, including money towards a trip at year 5.

Cons

Lots of meetings. Some unfriendly people at the top.

Jun 1, 2015Constant Contact

Thanks for taking the time to leave a review. It’s great to hear that you had a positive experience while here. Employee recognition for longevity and great work is always something we pride ... More

Bait and Switch

I worked at Constant Contact full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Benefits were great, some people were great

Cons

They only like young people

Smoke and mirrors

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Loveland, CO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Loveland, CO

I worked at Constant Contact full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free soda and free lunch when they 'suggest' that you work through your lunch hour to meet your 'numbers' which are constantly manipulated.

Cons

Passive aggressive brow beating for not meeting your numbers / quotas, when they make it ridiculous to do so due to upping those goals because corporate overshot predictions.

Advice to Management

Don't focus so much on free food and drinks........ put out a product line that is actually ready for market and not full of holes. That makes it very hard on a rep if they have to try to explain away the inaccuracies of the product. Also, make your goals attainable based on real info, not just what kind of bonus the CEO would like to take home.

RSS Feed </> Embed