Constant Contact

Updated September 10, 2014
3.3

Constant Contact Chairman, President, and CEO Gail F. Goodman
Gail F. Goodman

Pros
  • good benefits, beer cart fridays, some of the teams show good teamwork (in 13 reviews)

• Great work/life balance, especially if you are a parent (but note there is no company policy on this (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Middle to senior management is entrenched from bygone days when life was easy (in 5 reviews)

• I understand that the company is growing quickly, but all that they care about is getting the next account to sign up (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Great people, fast-paced, too many top-priorities

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Waltham, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Waltham, MA

I have been working at Constant Contact full-time

Pros

Smart people who are fun to work with. Lots of emphasis on career development. Competitive salary, great benefits including 4% 401k match, 100% vested at the start, ESPP, great healthcare coverage with vision, and dental. Very fast paced, my team deploys code to production every two weeks, some teams even more frequent. We use the latest technologies, and we are encouraged to continuously evaluate new technologies and techniques and use them if appropriate. Core mission is to serve small businesses and non-profits which is very fulfilling.

Cons

As the company has grown larger, it's becoming more difficult to get things done quickly. It can take months to set up the infrastructure to spin up a new app. Also, there are too many "top" priorities, and people are stretched very thin. A huge emphasis is being put on "making our dates" and quality is suffering.

Focused on employee happiness

Current Employee - Associate Software Engineer  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Associate Software Engineer in New York, NY

I have been working at Constant Contact full-time for less than a year

Pros

High entry level salary for software engineers, awesome work/life balance, tons of opportunities to learn with in-house events during work hours (eg. Ruby lunch, sponsored trips to conferences), wonderful coworkers and great benefits.

Cons

Because the company is larger, it can take a while to feel up to speed with all of the operations. New hire training does a good job trying to prepare you for this, but really it just takes some time to get accustomed to.

Continue to focus on growing a really attractive product, not just as a means of attracting new customers but to attract new talent to the company.

Great company for career growth.

I have been working at Constant Contact full-time

Pros

Growing company, great benefits, culture is very good

Cons

Senior leadership at times lacks vision

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great place to work

Current Employee - Software Engineer  in  Waltham, MA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Waltham, MA

I have been working at Constant Contact full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great work life balance, flex time, training.

Cons

The commute can be tough on rout 128

Stop changing projects

If you express what you want to do, you'll get there.

Current Employee - Anonymous  in  Waltham, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Waltham, MA

I have been working at Constant Contact full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great people, free coffee and beverages, beer cart Friday, great company parties, dress casually. When I started in June, training was excellent. A month in I spoke with my manager and was clear about what I want to do at Constant Contact, and they were very responsive and encouraging to help me reach my goals.

Cons

Office politics, but those exist everywhere.

Be a little more responsive to employee satisfaction. Changes are being made and results are coming slowly but surely.

Sep 4, 2014Employer Representative

We really appreciate feedback from our current employees so thanks for taking the time to leave a review. We agree that employee satisfaction is very important and are focused on continually rolling ... More

A great place to be.

I have been working at Constant Contact full-time

Pros

work-life balance is border line ridiculous, good pay, good benefits, stress free

Cons

getting to be a bit political, senior mgmt is infallible, slow to change

Sep 4, 2014Employer Representative

Thanks for your review - we're glad you're so happy with the work-life balance! :)

Great company that values their employees, but they are losing sight of the values they were founded on

Current Employee - Marketing  in  Waltham, MA
    Current Employee - Marketing in Waltham, MA

I have been working at Constant Contact full-time for more than a year

Pros

competetive pay, beer cart fridays, flex vacation plan, great benefits

Cons

leadership, not many holidays off

It started as a race to the top and the exec team made it a race to the bottom.

Former Employee - Outside Training Specialist  in  Waltham, MA
    Former Employee - Outside Training Specialist in Waltham, MA

I worked at Constant Contact full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I enjoyed working there because for the first few years I felt like I was building something and making a difference for small business.

Cons

The exec team rolled over a few times during my years and it quickly changed the tone of the culture. We became consumed with maximizing profit and share holder value. It was no longer about the customer, it was about the money. The message from the top was, wow, we made $23 in profit this year, but we predicted $25, so no raises. You did a great job, but work harder, work longer hours, and don't complain about less pay.

Get rid of the bloat in the middle. You have too many mediocre people brown nosing and hanging around. Your top talent is leaving in droves for better pay and more respect.

Not a good place to work...

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at Constant Contact for more than a year

Pros

At Constant Contact you're going to run into a lot of great, friendly people. They do little things to try and make working there fun including special events and free beer, soda, snacks. Schedule wise they're pretty flexible, encourage work/life balance, and offer great benefits. The company is also trying to be more innovative.

Cons

Unfortunately, the overall culture at Constant Contact is toxically passive-aggressive. People are quick to take credit for your work, and even quicker to throw you under the bus. The company lacks leadership in this area, and work quality goes unemphasized, hard work unrewarded. Instead, here it is all about who you know- making anyone who isn't in their club expendable (and they'll let you know it). Because of the beuracracy, it is almost impossible to get anything done in a timely fashion, and problems are generally ignored, covered up, or chastised when brought up. The CEO does not listen, and as such the company has struggled to retain top talent.

Management, especially the CEO needs to listen to employees. Stop promoting based on who you like and start evaluating the work they're doing using empirical evidence. Reward your hard working, talented employees - and actually try to keep them. And it's ok to admit when something is wrong, if there's an issue, work to fix it, don't just try to cover it up or pretend it doesn't exist- that only makes it worse.

Aug 7, 2014Employer Representative

Thanks for taking the time to comment, on both the things you enjoyed and those you feel we can improve upon. We are constantly striving to improve and your comments will be shared with management.

My 6-month experience at Constant Contact has been great.

Current Employee - Customer Training Specialist  in  Waltham, MA
    Current Employee - Customer Training Specialist in Waltham, MA

I have been working at Constant Contact as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Culture, smart people, great product, beer cart Friday, free coffee and soda, casual attire, some positions are able to work from home or remote locations. CEO and executive is always walking around office and are all easily approachable even as an intern. Easy to move around company if position you currently hold does not fit you.

Cons

Company is growing fast, which may not seem like a con but worried it may outgrow itself or grow too fast. Senior management is a tight knit group so I can see how it may be hard to advance as a lower level employee. Also, this seems to cause a lot of talent to leave and go to other companies.

Invest in ourselves as a company and make sure young talent that you bring in doesn't leave after ~5 years.

Jun 30, 2014Employer Representative

Thanks for your comments. It's great to hear that you're enjoying your work, and we appreciate that you took the time to provide feedback!

Worked for Constant Contact? Contribute to the Community!