Constant Contact

Constant Contact Reviews

Updated Jul 25, 2014

Constant Contact Chairman, President, and CEO Gail F. Goodman

Gail F. Goodman

Pros
  • good benefits, beer cart fridays, some of the teams show good teamwork (in 13 reviews)

• Great work/life balance, especially if you are a parent (but note there is no company policy on this (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Middle to senior management is entrenched from bygone days when life was easy (in 5 reviews)

• I understand that the company is growing quickly, but all that they care about is getting the next account to sign up (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Great company that values their employees, but they are losing sight of the values they were founded on

Marketing (Current Employee) Waltham, MA

Proscompetetive pay, beer cart fridays, flex vacation plan, great benefits

Consleadership, not many holidays off

Not a good place to work...

Anonymous (Former Employee)

ProsAt Constant Contact you're going to run into a lot of great, friendly people. They do little things to try and make working there fun including special events and free beer, soda, snacks. Schedule wise they're pretty flexible, encourage work/life balance, and offer great benefits. The company is also trying to be more innovative.

ConsUnfortunately, the overall culture at Constant Contact is toxically passive-aggressive. People are quick to take credit for your work, and even quicker to throw you under the bus. The company lacks leadership in this area, and work quality goes unemphasized, hard work unrewarded. Instead, here it is all about who you know- making anyone who isn't in their club expendable (and they'll let you know it). Because of the beuracracy, it is almost impossible to get anything done in a timely fashion, and problems are generally ignored, covered up, or chastised when brought up. The CEO does not listen, and as such the company has struggled to retain top talent.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement, especially the CEO needs to listen to employees. Stop promoting based on who you like and start evaluating the work they're doing using empirical evidence. Reward your hard working, talented employees - and actually try to keep them. And it's ok to admit when something is wrong, if there's an issue, work to fix it, don't just try to cover it up or pretend it doesn't exist- that only makes it worse.

My 6-month experience at Constant Contact has been great.

Customer Training Specialist (Current Employee) Waltham, MA

ProsCulture, smart people, great product, beer cart Friday, free coffee and soda, casual attire, some positions are able to work from home or remote locations. CEO and executive is always walking around office and are all easily approachable even as an intern. Easy to move around company if position you currently hold does not fit you.

ConsCompany is growing fast, which may not seem like a con but worried it may outgrow itself or grow too fast. Senior management is a tight knit group so I can see how it may be hard to advance as a lower level employee. Also, this seems to cause a lot of talent to leave and go to other companies.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in ourselves as a company and make sure young talent that you bring in doesn't leave after ~5 years.

Jun 30, 2014Employer Representative

Thanks for your comments. It's great to hear that you're enjoying your work, and we appreciate that you took the time to provide feedback!

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Treated as Children

Customer Service Specialist (Former Employee) Loveland, CO

ProsProper training for the product as a whole. Good starting wage, however, not great when you realize how much work you have to do on a daily basis. Changed management structure so managers have to take phone calls too. Appreciate the email marketing insights and experiences which I have taken to another job which I am happy to come into every day.

ConsAfter working on the phones for years, I've came to the realization that I was not great at customer service and I started to see my talents shine in more technical work. However, the worse you do at your customer feedback surveys the more they are going to take away "off the phone". No matter how much I've tried to reach out to my managers, they could care less about my career opportunities in other departments.

Their user platform kept changing and kept breaking which put a lot of strain on the customer service reps because the call volume increases and there was never a break between calls. Which made it so hard to lie to customers and support this product.

They are CONSTANTLY micro-managing the phones to make sure you are taking calls and forget trying to fix problems after the call. Everything had to be done on the phone while your customer awkwardly waits for you or Tier 2 tech support to finish any issues. There was so much pressure to take the next phone call, but also have 100% quality, and also stay under 8 minutes and 100% satisfaction.

Some of the managers never get back to your questions which is disheartening. Some managers should NOT be managers there if they can not support their own teams. Work from home is a joke and only give it to those they like. There is a huge "bro" attitude in management, which I can't mesh with. Some managers will act as your friend, then throw you under the bus later on down the road.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your employees and don't ignore them. People are NOT happy coming to work under these stressful conditions the whole time they are working. Don't punish your employees by taking away things they are happy to do and are good at doing because they lack experience in other areas.

Good salary but watch your back

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Waltham, MA

ProsSalary competitive - its what keeps people stuck here. Leadership is trying but the effort does not trickle down to mimd-anagement. Co-workers are talented but not utilized to full potential.

ConsVery poor mid-management style, those in charge are not held accountable if employees are dissatisfied, they only need to keep those above them satisfied. If you have a problem, you are literally considered the problem. You are on your own here, even HR does not defend the employee. Tough to telecommute, a lot of wasted travel time that could be work time. Poor department communication and vague processes leads to a lot of wasted time, effort and repetition.

Advice to Senior ManagementLeadership and senior management needs to wake up to the fact that there are a great many dissatisfied and frustrated employees. They need to realize the bottom line will be affected greatly by a lot of wasted endeavors. The data driven employee survey does not focus on real problem, its a smoke and mirrors show.

Not a good engineering company

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsBeer cart
    Free food
    Free soda
    Can work from home at least 1 day a week
    Uses many various technology and languages like Java, Ruby, coffeescript, etc
    People are friendly and smart

ConsNo clear technical leadership of what to do with so many technologies. A solution to solve memory problems is to restart the server.
    Manager use fear tactics and human resources do not validate what the manager says about you is true or not.
    Company has issues solving customer attrition rate as many small business owners will pay for the product only when they need it.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to figure out how to solve your technical problems correctly and provide clear leadership. And don't use fear tactics on employees.

Jun 30, 2014Employer Representative

Thanks for taking the time to provide some feedback!

Transparent & Optimistic

ProsThe mission of working for small businesses keeps management humble, and focused on the right targets. I've also never seen a company so willing to share information at all levels of management, and maintain constant transparency, which improves morale and helps employees maintain a sense of purpose. The emphasis on work/life balance is immense, and work hard, play hard mentality drives the success of every department!

ConsNo cons yet! Just need to keep up the hard work to scale up to the number of customers, to maintain the same spirit that makes Constant Contact!

May 29, 2014Employer Representative

Thanks for sharing your positive feedback!

human resources

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Waltham, MA

ProsThe company culture is great. The things you hear during the interview process about the culture have proven accurate - work hard/play hard, employees don't take themselves too seriously, flip flops are just fine work shoes, beer carts on Fridays, and if you have ideas, take them to your manager and at best you'll be given the green light and at worst they'll tell you that they appreciate your feedback and to keep it coming but they're going to go in a different direction. Flexible with schedules (start early/end early is just fine, although some start later and work later, which is fine too) and eager to get you settled and feeling comfortable. People seem to really enjoy their work, who they work with, and who they work for (small businesses). Super smart people. Approachable upper management. Stand up and treadmill desks available, which is awesome.

ConsMy commute is awful, but not much to be done about that because I don't plan to move.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep coming out of your offices and making yourselves available to employees, it's good for morale!

Great company, terific culture

ProsGood culture and employees treated well

ConsExec team - some cronyism and some weak leaders

Where dreams go to die

Sales Consultant (Former Employee)

ProsFor the most part, the majority of people are great and passionate. Solid sales training and a good stepping-stone job.

ConsAfter the first couple months post ramping period when goals are lofty and the gimmicky perks become apparent, the glint and sheen of this job wears away. Good luck ever taking vacation. They give you plenty of days off on paper, but good luck convincing management "that it's a good time to take a day off."

Hyper focused on metrics and call stats, so even when you exceed goals, they'll micromanage you until you lose every ounce of motivation and passion. Mid to upper management constantly pressure you to stay late and come in on Saturdays through petty guilt tactics.

If you enjoy terrible micromanagement, 120+ calls a day, and dreading everyday of work, then this is the sales job for you.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake a step back and realize you have immense talent in house. Stop reciting the same, clique motivational speeches/lines, and treat your workers better.

Worked for Constant Contact? Contribute to the Community!