Constant Contact

Updated January 18, 2015
3.8

Constant Contact Chairman, President, and CEO Gail F. Goodman
Gail F. Goodman

Pros
  • They encourage a work-life balance and do things to encourage it (in 13 reviews)

• And the pay was good, as well as the frequent free food and beer cart Fridays (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • Middle to senior management is entrenched from bygone days when life was easy (in 6 reviews)

• They have turned their call center into sweatshop in cubicles (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Best company I ever worked for

Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Loveland, CO
    Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Loveland, CO

I have been working at Constant Contact full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Great atmosphere, competitive pay and benefits, fun random surprises at work (like finding free headphones on my desk), competent and upbeat managers, clear communication of expectations, reasonable and fair performance goals, attractive work schedules, excellent facilites, ergonomic work environment, clean break room & restrooms, stuff that's broken gets fixed, opportunities for upward or horizontal mobility, free keurig cups and vending machine drinks, fantastic company culture, forward-thinking leadership. At Constant Contact, they give you the tools, training, and resources you need to do your job and work hard to remove every barrier to your performance. The management gets respect because they deserve it and have earned it, not because they arbitrarily demand it. I keep waiting for the downside to working here...haven't seen it yet.

Cons

You may not ever want to work anywhere else :)

Congratulations, management, for setting up structures and systems that integrate a profitable business model, an excellent-quality product, a phenomenal customer experience, and conditions that make for very happy employees, all at the same time. Your approach has created a great deal of strength, positivity, and momentum for continuing to be great in the future.

Terrific, mission-driven company

Current Employee - Manager in Waltham, MA
    Current Employee - Manager in Waltham, MA

I have been working at Constant Contact full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Terrific mission-driven company, with a great culture. Strong leadership team. Also rediscovering its core business and values, with bright prospects for the future.

Cons

Company's stock is at an all-time high

Great place to Work!

Current Employee - Product Marketer in Waltham, MA
    Current Employee - Product Marketer in Waltham, MA

I have been working at Constant Contact as a contractor

Pros

Great people to work with
    Great people to learn from
    Beer cart Friday's
    All types of drinks like coffee, tea, soda, juice is all free
    Great work environment

Cons

Not enough young people working their, makes it harder for the younger adults to mingle

Great People, Great Company, Work Experience is What You Make It

Current Employee - Design Consultant in Loveland, CO
    Current Employee - Design Consultant in Loveland, CO

I have been working at Constant Contact full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Smart, dedicated team. High emphasis placed on providing great customer service. All levels of management are approachable, knowledgeable, and treat you like a colleague and an adult. Great teamwork and communication, generally positive attitudes save a few complacent people. Benefits packages are very comprehensive and hard to beat, and benefits are available for all employees from day 1 (unheard of!). Vacation time is higher than most similar positions. Beer Cart Fridays! And who can complain about free energy drinks?!

Cons

Salary is fair but not above average, however gross compensation package makes up for this.

Leadership is doing great, from someone who has worked for several Fortune 500's and seen the gamut of leadership styles, the leadership at Constant Contact is among the best I have seen. Management at all levels is genuinely committed to employee growth and satisfaction. Management very demonstratively bends over backward to make sure employees have the tools and training needed to excel in their positions. Training resources are readily available and ample time is made to ensure team members are able to utilize these resources. Going back to a previous statement, working at Constant Contact is very much what you make of it!

Dec 19, 2014Employer Representative

Your thoughtful comments and the time you took from your day to leave a review are both really appreciated. Thanks for all your hard work! Please don't hesitate to continue leveraging the experience ... More

One of the few gems left in Corporate America. Hard to get in but now that I am, never leaving !

Current Employee - Sales in Waltham, MA
    Current Employee - Sales in Waltham, MA

I have been working at Constant Contact full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Amazing atmosphere, CEO and all senior management are present and approachable. Charitable giving, beer cart Friday, ping pong table, skee-ball, free soda and juices, food trucks a few times a week- almost a startup atmosphere. They encourage a work-life balance and do things to encourage it! Out of the box thinking is encouraged and rewarded. Goals are lofty but with hard work you can achieve them.

Cons

Benefits aren't the best for hourly employees. Work from home policy not entirely clear. That being said if you make it to 10 years your get a 30 day sabbatical. Getting answers can sometimes be challenging as the company has so many groups that are integral parts of the day to day operations.

Keep up the great work, your presence is appreciated as is your candor. You inspire us to work hard to help get us to our company goals.

Nov 24, 2014Employer Representative

It's great to hear that you’re enjoying your work so much! Regarding your work from home question, if you’re willing, we’d love if you were able to schedule some time with your HR Business Partner ... More

Smoke, mirrors, doubletalk and don't forget the beer

Current Employee - Marketing in Waltham, MA

I have been working at Constant Contact full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Decent benefits package
    Work-life balance; I never take stuff home
    Life is good if your a software engineer or developer
    You can sleep at night knowing your directly helping small business vs. wall street fat cats

Cons

*When 95% of reviews mention "beer cart fridays" this should tell yuo something about the a) gullibility of the employee writing and b) the self congratulatorty snow job the company has pulled over the eyes of most people. Seriously, a $2 Sam Adams is the key to career happines? Who knew. Call the Harvard Biz Review to write a case study on this.
    *The company likes to brag about the "no jerks" hiring policy, but this has long ago been thrown out of the car at 75 mph. You have senior management that prostitutes customer data to sketchy "partners" for cross selling that only net $15k to make quarterly stock numbers. Way to go.
    *I write the same employee review every year. Nothing changes. They say that career development is the employees' responsibility, but when you have managers who by and large stifle their people and don't promote from within, this is laughably pathetic. (And HR, if you are reading this, I am not going to contact my HR Biz Partner or the CHRO to "discuss my concerns." HR is smart, backstabbing and gossipy enough to know the dept not considered a neutral party. They are not the rank-and-file employee's friend. No employee wants to stick their neck out and be the target )
    *Senior managers think they know what the customer wants without talking to them. Sample size that changes a program's direction can be as little as 6 custoemrs.
    *If you are a intelligent and talented and a woman, watch out. Your bosses will resent you and you will have to do triple the effort to prove yourself to no avail.
    *mediocrity rises to the top. People who can't move the needle on the weaker products we offer get lateral or upward moves to ruin new products.
    *Interns get better treatment and opportunitys than employees

*All managers need 360 reviews. Many of them show one happy-slappy side to the c-suite and turn around and godzilla their teams.
    *Cull the jerks. I'd give you my list to start with, if I could.
    *Take note of the fact nobody on Glassdoor is praising your career dev programs. All the praise here is about free soda and beer.
    *Managers need to realize free Rebecca's Cafe meals are not a reward but a punishment.
    *Managers need to realize that they look good when their people succeed and get recognized. Mine takes credit for everything I do.
    *Gail, learn a bunch of rank-and-file employees names. I see you everyday and you've never called me by mine. I hear you used to have quarterly lunches with small groups of us. Try doing that again.
    * Stop using "industry benchmark questions" on the employee sat survey--CTCT will never be a high performing org while it rots from withing. There are many good, talented people who want to do good work and bring it every day, despite being thwarted by their petty managers. Unfortunately, that's not a definition of "engaged" according to your false benchmark.

It's Sad

Current Employee - Marketing in Waltham, MA

I have been working at Constant Contact full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Work-Life Balance, Most of the people are great, training was great, product WAS great.

Cons

Management, the new people they are hiring are not qualified for specific roles. Very bad at promoting within. Retention of great employees was low. The motto seems to be Management knows best and were reluctant to listen to others out side of a management role. Many teams did not communicate well, lots of miscommunications. Out dated systems and customers were taking notice.

Please make your HR dept more excess-able. Please ask make your managers schedule one-on-ones. Please have your employees suggestions mean something. Please listen to the customers when they voice how bad the product is or have improvements to be made.

Nov 24, 2014Employer Representative

We appreciate your feedback, even when it's a little hard to hear. Please send directly to Bob Nicoson, HR Director, your suggestions on what we can do to make it easier for you to access your HR ... More

Forgetting all the things that made them great

Former Employee - Team Lead and Team Manager in Waltham, MA
    Former Employee - Team Lead and Team Manager in Waltham, MA

I worked at Constant Contact full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Benefits are tough to beat PTO, 401k all good

Cons

Management style is overtly strictly and work making it a technological sweatshop

Look back to the managers and successes of the past. There was a good thing going, that has been destroyed

Pretty Good Atmosphere with room to grow

I have been working at Constant Contact full-time

Pros

Tons of room to grow, great place to learn.

Cons

Endless amounts of process and pointless meetings

A great place to work

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Waltham, MA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Waltham, MA

I have been working at Constant Contact full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Unlimited vacation time, nice atmosphere, no-asshole policy really makes a difference. The engineering caliber on the whole is not top-notch, but it's far from terrible, and there are a few standout people who are truly inspiring.

Cons

Sometimes you have to dig around to find good opportunities for personal development, but managers tend to be open to helping you if you ask for it.