Constant Contact

Constant Contact Reviews

Updated Jul 25, 2014

Constant Contact Chairman, President, and CEO Gail F. Goodman

Gail F. Goodman

Pros
  • good benefits, beer cart fridays, some of the teams show good teamwork (in 13 reviews)

• Great work/life balance, especially if you are a parent (but note there is no company policy on this (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Middle to senior management is entrenched from bygone days when life was easy (in 5 reviews)

• I understand that the company is growing quickly, but all that they care about is getting the next account to sign up (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

poor software development organization

Senior Software Engineer (Former Employee) Waltham, MA

Pros- free beer
    - easy to shine, many weak colleagues

Cons- very unproductive work environment in software development
    - lots of employees with no motivation
    - weak technical leadership. New technologies are brought in and bolted on in a disorganized manner.
    - VERY slow to get anything done here. If you like cranking out code and seeing your stuff work, then this isn't the job for you. What used to take you 1 month will take 6 here.

Great people but some growing pains

ProsEngaged and approachable CEO, Beer Cart Fridays, Passionate and supportive employees. Competitive salary with nice benefits. Leadership sensitive to suggestions made by rank and file.

ConsAs the company has grown, mid management talent has struggled to keep up. At one time the company and culture was "flat" easy to do with 100 employees. There are a lot of problems with communication as well as process with the new levels.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet serious about training employees on management skills. Once a quarter workshops consisting of powerpoints and meaninless icebreakers and activities aren't doing it.

Customer Support

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood training, good people, good benefits

ConsPoor communication from upper management, poor staff planning

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great place to start, not a lot of room for growth.

ProsGood benefits. Nice offices and amenities. Good core values and customer focus as a company. A lot of potential for revenue growth in the near future.

ConsSalaries are not great compared to competitors in the Boston area. Not good at retaining top talent.

Untrustworthy

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Waltham, MA

ProsIf you make the right connections you will move up in the company quickly.

ConsManagement tends not to keep the employees in the loop of things. They tend to lay off and let go certain individuals and then put unknowledgeable people in those position and pay them less and unfortunately they have no type of impact in the organization.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your employees and stop hiring people/promoting people that are not knowledgeable of the product and not promote them because they are a friend with members of the senior management team. Basically hire and promote in talent and not friendship. Its funny how they come out of their quarterly earnings and talk about how many people they hire but they don't talk about the employees that they lay off. This company will be going down soon they have no sense of drive or direction.

Fun and Valuable Internship

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Waltham, MA

Pros- Interesting Work
    - Knowledgeable People
    - Friendly Environment
    - Competitive Pay
    - Fun, Social Activities
    - Quality Intern Program
    - Relatively Transparent Management in regards to strategy for a company of its size

Constant Contact offers a great internship program. I was very lucky to have secured a position over the summer in my area of interest. I landed on a great team working on an interesting project, from which I learned a lot about being effective in the software world. The company has a good name, and that has opened doors for me in finding a full-time job. While I wish I could have stayed on-board as a permanent employee, I'm still happy nonetheless for the opportunity I had at a great company. I felt appreciated as an intern. I was being assigned meaningful work. And the pay was good, as well as the frequent free food and beer cart Fridays. HR went to great lengths to make our time at CTCT enjoyable. We had lunch sessions with the senior executives, including Gail, the CEO. We were treated to a Red Sox game. And a few other freebies. Considering that we were all getting paid to learn and grow in our respective fields, the attention and care we received was very generous.

Cons- Product Suite not as cutting edge as some of our competitors
    - Size: Organization sometimes felt comprised of silos
    - Slow to Implement Change (So much buy-in and negotiation required)

Advice to Senior Management- Implement Innovation Faster
    - Look to the future, try not to be trapped by the legacy
    - Cultivate more cross-functional interaction among all employees, not just middle and upper and management

Internship at Constant Contact

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThere was free food during training and free books.

ConsThe biggest qualms I had was that the team lead for our team was not truthful and did not provide constructive criticism, which I believe are vital for an intern.

Inappropriate relationship between developer and other intern that affected work environment.

During my short time there at least four senior developers left. Toxic place. Avoid at all cost.

Advice to Senior ManagementA few bad apples spoils the bunch. It is unavoidable at such a big company especially with all the acquisitions. Quality over quantity. It might be time to do some house cleaning.

Went downhill fast

Sales (Current Employee) Loveland, CO

ProsFantastic benefits, medical, 401K is amazing.

ConsThe product has fallen far behind free options and no real development has been done to widen the offering. Gail Goodman is about E-mail...not small businesses. If she was then the product would reflect what customers want. They have gone full on call center and are just concerned with getting the card asap rather than educating the customer which they hid behind for a while. Instead of innovate they cut cost as much as they could. Stop drinking your own kool aid. you are not the best anymore, your main customer now is someone who doesn't know any better. Being the choice of the educated customer is out the window now.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake an honest look at yourself, force Gail out and get someone in who isn't solely driven by an insane ego. Sounds harsh but it's true, if you are going to work at CTCT in sales then prepare for a very very high pressure high.

Great overall experience

Global Market Development Internship (Former Employee) Waltham, MA

ProsPeople are super welcoming and friendly and the culture is great. Everyone is willing to help and I learned a lot

ConsIf you're not really interested in email marketing, it can be kind of boring

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep it up!

Company is a Joke, Product is far behind and way too many managers.

Support (Current Employee) Waltham, MA

ProsThere are no pros for this job.

ConsThis company is a shell of its former self, the product has more defects and bugs that you can even imaging. Instead of stopping product "enhancements" that you say customers want which you know they don't want. STOP, take 3-4 months and fix all the bugs. We have outages which our customers encounter, and even our internal tools have consistent issues. When a customer calls in wanting to speak with a manager, they just get another rep or someone else in the same team, a manager will do everything in their ability to avoid taking an escalated call. Good reps are being thrown out the door, or just plain leaving because you refuse to give anyone the opportunity to advance. You would rather go outside the company than promote someone from within, I have seen it dozens of times over the years. Everyone is so "focused" on the customer what a joke, they put so much pressure on front line support with statistics and numbers, that you are no longer getting world class customer support! All of our product offerings are so behind even the free products provided by other companies its not even funny. Stop for a minute, listen to your agents and end all the red tape.

No one cares for the front line support, they are considered the bastards of the company, never included in any type of company events because of the phone volumes, pay is horrific you work insanely for a meager raise at the end of they year. They call you engagement specialists, and expect you to handle HTML, Connectivity/IT issues and everything under the sun to avoid calling you technical support to avoid paying! Customer Service 32K avg salary, technical support 42-44K. Have no fear come into this company expect to be earning a customer service salary while doing a technical support job with a ton of metrics that if you don't meet you will know about it.

Advice to Senior ManagementTime to shed all the layers of management, there is so much management its disgusting, you have managers that shouldn't be leading a team, they should be flipping burgers. They have no product knowledge, zero customer service skills and only toss credits at the situation. Time to clean house at the management level and go up the line!

Worked for Constant Contact? Contribute to the Community!