Constant Contact

Updated January 18, 2015
3.8

Constant Contact Chairman, President, and CEO Gail F. Goodman
Gail F. Goodman

Pros
  • They encourage a work-life balance and do things to encourage it (in 13 reviews)

• And the pay was good, as well as the frequent free food and beer cart Fridays (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • Middle to senior management is entrenched from bygone days when life was easy (in 6 reviews)

• They have turned their call center into sweatshop in cubicles (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Amazing Place to Work, Easily One of Boston's Best Companies

I have been working at Constant Contact full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I've been employed at Constant Contact for about 4 years and never have I seen a company that is so committed and focused on it's employees and it's customers. Constant Contact "gets it". It's one of the few companies that understands that it's all about the employees and customers. The company culture is amazing, everything is transparent and out in the open. The company employees really good people, not just talented people, but people who know how to work as part of a team and are really mission driven. It's really hard to explain but it's similar to what you would see in a west coast company like Facebook or Google, Constant Contact just doesn't get the publicity that those companies do and they don't brag about it. Constant Contact has all the workplace perks that the Sillicon Valley companies have (lots of food, lots of fun, amazing perks like on-site massages, manicures, beer cart fridays, bashes for company milestones, bi-weekly company wide meetings led by the CEO) This is a growing company with a really bright future and it's care and respect for both it's employees and customers really can't be put into words. You have to see it to believe it. The company has also grown countless numbers of employees and is a great place to develop and expand your career.

Cons

No real cons and not a lot ot complain about, I'd say because the company values it's employees so much, sometimes it appears that everyone has an opinion or there are two many cooks in the kitchen. Also, the company's acquisition of Singleplatform has put a great deal of stress on it's existing employees. This is something that management is figuring out.

Constant Contact needs to invest in internal systems and technology to keep up with it's growth and keep teams and employees connected throughout all of it's office locations now. (Example, Remote offices in SF and NY, etc)

Focused on employee happiness

Current Employee - Associate Software Engineer in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Associate Software Engineer in New York, NY

I have been working at Constant Contact full-time (less than a year)

Pros

High entry level salary for software engineers, awesome work/life balance, tons of opportunities to learn with in-house events during work hours (eg. Ruby lunch, sponsored trips to conferences), wonderful coworkers and great benefits.

Cons

Because the company is larger, it can take a while to feel up to speed with all of the operations. New hire training does a good job trying to prepare you for this, but really it just takes some time to get accustomed to.

Continue to focus on growing a really attractive product, not just as a means of attracting new customers but to attract new talent to the company.

Sep 30, 2014Employer Representative

Thanks so much - we are so appreciative of the time you took to write the review!

Smart people that are great to work with.

I have been working at Constant Contact full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Excellent office environment. It is very energetic and that elevates the mood of everyone. The company also understands the need for a balance between work/life so they provide flexible work hours, awesome benefits and a number of other perks.

Cons

As with any growing company sometimes things move so fast it is tough to keep the pace, so it is not the best fit for everyone. If you prefer strict processes and procedures, you may not thrive here.

Continue to be open and share your vision.

Great people, fast-paced, too many top-priorities

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Waltham, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Waltham, MA

I have been working at Constant Contact full-time

Pros

Smart people who are fun to work with. Lots of emphasis on career development. Competitive salary, great benefits including 4% 401k match, 100% vested at the start, ESPP, great healthcare coverage with vision, and dental. Very fast paced, my team deploys code to production every two weeks, some teams even more frequent. We use the latest technologies, and we are encouraged to continuously evaluate new technologies and techniques and use them if appropriate. Core mission is to serve small businesses and non-profits which is very fulfilling.

Cons

As the company has grown larger, it's becoming more difficult to get things done quickly. It can take months to set up the infrastructure to spin up a new app. Also, there are too many "top" priorities, and people are stretched very thin. A huge emphasis is being put on "making our dates" and quality is suffering.

Sep 30, 2014Employer Representative

Thank you very much for taking the time to provide this feedback. It's extremely helpful to know about the challenges our employees are currently facing. We will convey your thoughts to the ... More

Great company for career growth.

I have been working at Constant Contact full-time

Pros

Growing company, great benefits, culture is very good

Cons

Senior leadership at times lacks vision

Great place to work

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Waltham, MA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Waltham, MA

I have been working at Constant Contact full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great work life balance, flex time, training.

Cons

The commute can be tough on rout 128

Stop changing projects

Lost their way

Former Employee - Sales and Support in Waltham, MA
    Former Employee - Sales and Support in Waltham, MA

I worked at Constant Contact full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Used to be a great atmosphere fast, but relaxed pace. Understood overworked employees, makes unhappy employees. Used to think taking the time to help customers was the best way to grow the business. Used to be extremely giving to employees. Used to pay Sales reps salary plus commissions. Better Benefits package than most companies

Cons

They no longer give any extra incentives, bonuses, or benefits each year. Prefer to have reps rush customers off calls than have reps help customers be successful at using their products. They have turned their call center into sweatshop in cubicles. Very few opportunities for advancement unless you came in with experience. They complain they are upset people leave the company, but then tell people to leave to get experience instead of giving employees the experience. Capping salaries on senior reps doesn't help either. Sales reps now only get paid commission, no base salary.

Look back to the management style and successes of the company from 1995 through 2006. The company had the best customer reviews and the happiest employees. Let go of the idea of "following the industry standard." Most people don't like their job, so if we follow the standard most people won't like working at Constant Contact. The company used to pride itself of being the standard that other companies looked up to. That's where everything went wrong.

Nov 24, 2014Employer Representative

Thanks for all your work during the 8+ years you were employed by Constant Contact. We hope you're doing well in your new position!

We do feel it's important to point out that for our sales team
    ... More

If you express what you want to do, you'll get there.

Current Employee - Anonymous in Waltham, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Waltham, MA

I have been working at Constant Contact full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Great people, free coffee and beverages, beer cart Friday, great company parties, dress casually. When I started in June, training was excellent. A month in I spoke with my manager and was clear about what I want to do at Constant Contact, and they were very responsive and encouraging to help me reach my goals.

Cons

Office politics, but those exist everywhere.

Be a little more responsive to employee satisfaction. Changes are being made and results are coming slowly but surely.

Sep 4, 2014Employer Representative

We really appreciate feedback from our current employees so thanks for taking the time to leave a review. We agree that employee satisfaction is very important and are focused on continually rolling ... More

A great place to be.

I have been working at Constant Contact full-time

Pros

work-life balance is border line ridiculous, good pay, good benefits, stress free

Cons

getting to be a bit political, senior mgmt is infallible, slow to change

Sep 4, 2014Employer Representative

Thanks for your review - we're glad you're so happy with the work-life balance! :)

It started as a race to the top and the exec team made it a race to the bottom.

Former Employee - Outside Training Specialist in Waltham, MA
    Former Employee - Outside Training Specialist in Waltham, MA

I worked at Constant Contact full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I enjoyed working there because for the first few years I felt like I was building something and making a difference for small business.

Cons

The exec team rolled over a few times during my years and it quickly changed the tone of the culture. We became consumed with maximizing profit and share holder value. It was no longer about the customer, it was about the money. The message from the top was, wow, we made $23 in profit this year, but we predicted $25, so no raises. You did a great job, but work harder, work longer hours, and don't complain about less pay.

Get rid of the bloat in the middle. You have too many mediocre people brown nosing and hanging around. Your top talent is leaving in droves for better pay and more respect.