Constant Contact

Updated December 10, 2014
3.7

Constant Contact Chairman, President, and CEO Gail F. Goodman
Gail F. Goodman

Pros
  • They encourage a work-life balance and do things to encourage it (in 13 reviews)

• And the pay was good, as well as the frequent free food and beer cart Fridays (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • Middle to senior management is entrenched from bygone days when life was easy (in 6 reviews)

• They have turned their call center into sweatshop in cubicles (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Great company for career growth.

I have been working at Constant Contact full-time

Pros

Growing company, great benefits, culture is very good

Cons

Senior leadership at times lacks vision

Great place to work

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Waltham, MA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Waltham, MA

I have been working at Constant Contact full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great work life balance, flex time, training.

Cons

The commute can be tough on rout 128

Stop changing projects

Lost their way

Former Employee - Sales and Support in Waltham, MA
    Former Employee - Sales and Support in Waltham, MA

I worked at Constant Contact full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Used to be a great atmosphere fast, but relaxed pace. Understood overworked employees, makes unhappy employees. Used to think taking the time to help customers was the best way to grow the business. Used to be extremely giving to employees. Used to pay Sales reps salary plus commissions. Better Benefits package than most companies

Cons

They no longer give any extra incentives, bonuses, or benefits each year. Prefer to have reps rush customers off calls than have reps help customers be successful at using their products. They have turned their call center into sweatshop in cubicles. Very few opportunities for advancement unless you came in with experience. They complain they are upset people leave the company, but then tell people to leave to get experience instead of giving employees the experience. Capping salaries on senior reps doesn't help either. Sales reps now only get paid commission, no base salary.

Look back to the management style and successes of the company from 1995 through 2006. The company had the best customer reviews and the happiest employees. Let go of the idea of "following the industry standard." Most people don't like their job, so if we follow the standard most people won't like working at Constant Contact. The company used to pride itself of being the standard that other companies looked up to. That's where everything went wrong.

Nov 24, 2014Employer Representative

Thanks for all your work during the 8+ years you were employed by Constant Contact. We hope you're doing well in your new position!

We do feel it's important to point out that for our sales team
    ... More

If you express what you want to do, you'll get there.

Current Employee - Anonymous in Waltham, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Waltham, MA

I have been working at Constant Contact full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great people, free coffee and beverages, beer cart Friday, great company parties, dress casually. When I started in June, training was excellent. A month in I spoke with my manager and was clear about what I want to do at Constant Contact, and they were very responsive and encouraging to help me reach my goals.

Cons

Office politics, but those exist everywhere.

Be a little more responsive to employee satisfaction. Changes are being made and results are coming slowly but surely.

Sep 4, 2014Employer Representative

We really appreciate feedback from our current employees so thanks for taking the time to leave a review. We agree that employee satisfaction is very important and are focused on continually rolling ... More

A great place to be.

I have been working at Constant Contact full-time

Pros

work-life balance is border line ridiculous, good pay, good benefits, stress free

Cons

getting to be a bit political, senior mgmt is infallible, slow to change

Sep 4, 2014Employer Representative

Thanks for your review - we're glad you're so happy with the work-life balance! :)

Great company that values their employees, but they are losing sight of the values they were founded on

Current Employee - Marketing in Waltham, MA
    Current Employee - Marketing in Waltham, MA

I have been working at Constant Contact full-time (more than an year)

Pros

competetive pay, beer cart fridays, flex vacation plan, great benefits

Cons

leadership, not many holidays off

It started as a race to the top and the exec team made it a race to the bottom.

Former Employee - Outside Training Specialist in Waltham, MA
    Former Employee - Outside Training Specialist in Waltham, MA

I worked at Constant Contact full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I enjoyed working there because for the first few years I felt like I was building something and making a difference for small business.

Cons

The exec team rolled over a few times during my years and it quickly changed the tone of the culture. We became consumed with maximizing profit and share holder value. It was no longer about the customer, it was about the money. The message from the top was, wow, we made $23 in profit this year, but we predicted $25, so no raises. You did a great job, but work harder, work longer hours, and don't complain about less pay.

Get rid of the bloat in the middle. You have too many mediocre people brown nosing and hanging around. Your top talent is leaving in droves for better pay and more respect.

Dismal, Where the buddy system rewards, and Feedback and suggestions go to die

I have been working at Constant Contact full-time

Pros

Free Soda, Coffee and the Occasional Snack

Cons

The company is horrible, we have so many layers of management its actually insane. Talk about a top heavy company, just in customer support we have Supervisors, Team Leads, Group Managers, Senior Managers, Directors it goes on and on and that is just for customer support. This company went from a motto of helping the customer do what ever is needed to prevent the next call back for the same thing to putting pressure on everyone to churn in burn calls, with way too much pressure on the support staff. If you don't meet their expectations be sure that you will be coached right out the door. The company policies are a joke, the customers are basically treated just like cattle. Have no fear at one point escalated customer issues to our second level support team last year were pushing 14+ business days but we continued to lie to our customers and tell them the turnaround were 3-4 business days. We don't even follow our own ethics. The support staff quality has gone right down the tubes as well. Everyone used to be considered technical support, now are considered customer service this was done to lower the pay for new people coming into the door. I think the starting wage from what I hear is around 15 and hour... Your nuts to come to this company and deal with the stress of supporting tons of broken products and more defects daily than you can shake a stick at. Your better off working for a retail outlet you can make about the same if not more depending on who you go too. Talking to anyone in the company about your concern goes right to the crapper they don't give a crap about anything you say. Career advancement is a joke, its a complete buddy system, if you don't hover in the right circles in this company you wont go anywhere, only to face a salary cap in a few years and be given no compensation for the insane stuff they throw at you. Also once you are part of support, its almost impossible to shake that stigma even if you move to another position. They will use it against you even if you say went from support to IT the raise would be minimal, but if you came from the outside it would be a complete different story.

Listen to your employees, stop posting fake short reviews trying to bump up the score of glass door. Listen to their feedback we are your voice to the customer and if we stopped working, no one could handle what we do.

Sep 4, 2014Employer Representative

We take employee feedback seriously and we appreciate your comments. We encourage you to make an appointment with your HR business partner, who can also connect you with our career development ... More

Good salary but watch your back

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Waltham, MA

I have been working at Constant Contact full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Salary competitive - its what keeps people stuck here. Leadership is trying but the effort does not trickle down to mimd-anagement. Co-workers are talented but not utilized to full potential.

Cons

Very poor mid-management style, those in charge are not held accountable if employees are dissatisfied, they only need to keep those above them satisfied. If you have a problem, you are literally considered the problem. You are on your own here, even HR does not defend the employee. Tough to telecommute, a lot of wasted travel time that could be work time. Poor department communication and vague processes leads to a lot of wasted time, effort and repetition.

Leadership and senior management needs to wake up to the fact that there are a great many dissatisfied and frustrated employees. They need to realize the bottom line will be affected greatly by a lot of wasted endeavors. The data driven employee survey does not focus on real problem, its a smoke and mirrors show.

Aug 7, 2014Employer Representative

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment. Hearing from our current employees is so important. Please make an appointment to speak with Bob Nicoson, Chief Human Resources Officer, at your ... More

Not a good place to work...

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at Constant Contact (more than an year)

Pros

At Constant Contact you're going to run into a lot of great, friendly people. They do little things to try and make working there fun including special events and free beer, soda, snacks. Schedule wise they're pretty flexible, encourage work/life balance, and offer great benefits. The company is also trying to be more innovative.

Cons

Unfortunately, the overall culture at Constant Contact is toxically passive-aggressive. People are quick to take credit for your work, and even quicker to throw you under the bus. The company lacks leadership in this area, and work quality goes unemphasized, hard work unrewarded. Instead, here it is all about who you know- making anyone who isn't in their club expendable (and they'll let you know it). Because of the beuracracy, it is almost impossible to get anything done in a timely fashion, and problems are generally ignored, covered up, or chastised when brought up. The CEO does not listen, and as such the company has struggled to retain top talent.

Management, especially the CEO needs to listen to employees. Stop promoting based on who you like and start evaluating the work they're doing using empirical evidence. Reward your hard working, talented employees - and actually try to keep them. And it's ok to admit when something is wrong, if there's an issue, work to fix it, don't just try to cover it up or pretend it doesn't exist- that only makes it worse.

Aug 7, 2014Employer Representative

Thanks for taking the time to comment, on both the things you enjoyed and those you feel we can improve upon. We are constantly striving to improve and your comments will be shared with management.