Constant Contact Reviews

1. Great Place to Work

Current Employee - Senior Sales Consultant in Waltham, MA
    Current Employee - Senior Sales Consultant in Waltham, MA

I have been working at Constant Contact

Pros

Great work life balance and culture.

Cons

Underpaid and limited opportunities for advancement.

2. Hands down this is the best job I've had in my 20+ year career!

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer II in Waltham, MA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer II in Waltham, MA

I have been working at Constant Contact full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This is the closest thing to a "no judgement zone" workplace I've experienced. No judgement does not equate to "no performance, or no expectations", a great deal is expected of folks who join our team. The "no @$$hole" hiring policy has a real impact on the quality of people that are brought in to join the team, & believe me, I've worked with plenty of them in the past (Crossbeam Systems anyone?). There is plenty of opportunity for me to play in multiple areas beyond the job I was hired to do, and that is what keeps this place fresh, challenging, and exciting for me. Work-life balance is a real thing here, not just a buzz-word, and they promote those who deserve it on their merits.

Cons

It's a rather large organization, and trying to find the right people to help you with a problem outside of your domain or project can be challenging at times. Also, the issue of effective cross-team commuinications and breaking down silos is raised fairly regularly, even though this has improved dramatically over the past 2+ years I've been here.

Great Company to Work For!!!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Waltham, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Waltham, MA

I have been working at Constant Contact

Pros

Everyone that works at Constant Contact is super friendly and full of information. You have a question they will stop what they are doing and help answer your questions they best way they can and if they do not have the answer they will get it for you pretty quickly. There is a lot of training so you know the ins and outs of Constant Contact, it does not matter if you know how to use there product or not they teach you everything you need to know to success within the company.

Cons

The traffic to the company in Waltham is awful.

Jan 7, 2015Employer Representative

Depending where and when you're starting from, traffic can sometimes be an issue. If you are coming from the city or anywhere near the Alewife station, in case you haven't already, you might want to ... More

Good company to work for, excellent brand reputation.

I worked at Constant Contact full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people who make the day to day very enjoyable. Certain groups embrace an open culture and collaborate extremely well, getting everybody involved.

Cons

Senior management has a tough time identifying and agreeing upon a corporate strategy and direction. It takes a long time for them to come to a decision and no one wants to own it.

6. Great workplace, fun environment, innovative culture

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Loveland, CO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Loveland, CO

I have been working at Constant Contact full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Great career development. Opportunities that I never thought would exist have been given to may employees.
    - Work hard / play harder. The company understands and appreciates hard work, and has built a fun environment for any sort of de-stressing that may need to take place...or just some time to play games.
    - Innovation and recognition. Quarterly, company-wide innovation hackathons with great rewards and recognition by name.
    - Benefits. The health and life insurance that are provided are the best I have had the pleasure of enrolling in. On site benefits like free food and soda on a regular basis help the day-to-day. I probably don't have to mention the beer cart, seems like other reviews have that covered as well.

Cons

Vocal detractors. As is probably the case with almost any company, the minority of people who feel as though the company doesn't appreciate them can bleed their negativity on to others. I've seen some of the reviews on here, and see the same situations in completely different ways. I would encourage anyone reading these reviews to take the negativity with a grain of salt.

Advice to Management

Continue to think outside the box. I believe you've done a great job so far, but there are always new and creative ways of doing things (project management, staff location, etc.)

Dec 19, 2014Employer Representative

Thanks so much for your comments & support!

7. Best company I ever worked for

Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Loveland, CO
    Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Loveland, CO

I have been working at Constant Contact full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great atmosphere, competitive pay and benefits, fun random surprises at work (like finding free headphones on my desk), competent and upbeat managers, clear communication of expectations, reasonable and fair performance goals, attractive work schedules, excellent facilites, ergonomic work environment, clean break room & restrooms, stuff that's broken gets fixed, opportunities for upward or horizontal mobility, free keurig cups and vending machine drinks, fantastic company culture, forward-thinking leadership. At Constant Contact, they give you the tools, training, and resources you need to do your job and work hard to remove every barrier to your performance. The management gets respect because they deserve it and have earned it, not because they arbitrarily demand it. I keep waiting for the downside to working here...haven't seen it yet.

Cons

You may not ever want to work anywhere else :)

Advice to Management

Congratulations, management, for setting up structures and systems that integrate a profitable business model, an excellent-quality product, a phenomenal customer experience, and conditions that make for very happy employees, all at the same time. Your approach has created a great deal of strength, positivity, and momentum for continuing to be great in the future.

Integrity and Transparency

Current Employee - Regional Development Director
    Current Employee - Regional Development Director

I have been working at Constant Contact full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

When I was offered my position, I owned a marketing company dedicated to helping small businesses and nonprofits grow through marketing communication tools, event marketing, PR and promotions. Working for myself versus a company was always a conscious and deliberate choice. So why did I choose to work for Constant Contact? The security of a well-known brand and company with tremendous growth, coupled with the focus on the same values my company had, were reasons enough. The people I met through my interview process impressed me with their intelligence, friendliness,and approachability and became another great reason to join the team. Finally, the job I was offered and accepted was a fantastic fit for me and a challenging new step in my career. I truly love the company and what we do in the world.

Cons

There are certain times when the product or the people could be questioned but all companies go through these cycles. What I've found is that Constant Contact typically answers the call to innovate, grow, and adapt to the changing and expanding needs of our customers. I feel supported in my role and although, must adapt to an ever-evolving landscape, I feel the changes are handled satisfactorily, with transparency, and typically for the greater good.

Dec 19, 2014Employer Representative

Your viewpoint is really unique (being a former small business owner) so we truly appreciate that you took the time to provide your feedback here on how we can continue to meet the needs of our ... More

Smoke, mirrors, doubletalk and don't forget the beer

Current Employee - Marketing in Waltham, MA
    Current Employee - Marketing in Waltham, MA

I have been working at Constant Contact full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Decent benefits package
    Work-life balance; I never take stuff home
    Life is good if your a software engineer or developer
    You can sleep at night knowing your directly helping small business vs. wall street fat cats

Cons

*When 95% of reviews mention "beer cart fridays" this should tell yuo something about the a) gullibility of the employee writing and b) the self congratulatorty snow job the company has pulled over the eyes of most people. Seriously, a $2 Sam Adams is the key to career happines? Who knew. Call the Harvard Biz Review to write a case study on this.
    *The company likes to brag about the "no jerks" hiring policy, but this has long ago been thrown out of the car at 75 mph. You have senior management that prostitutes customer data to sketchy "partners" for cross selling that only net $15k to make quarterly stock numbers. Way to go.
    *I write the same employee review every year. Nothing changes. They say that career development is the employees' responsibility, but when you have managers who by and large stifle their people and don't promote from within, this is laughably pathetic. (And HR, if you are reading this, I am not going to contact my HR Biz Partner or the CHRO to "discuss my concerns." HR is smart, backstabbing and gossipy enough to know the dept not considered a neutral party. They are not the rank-and-file employee's friend. No employee wants to stick their neck out and be the target )
    *Senior managers think they know what the customer wants without talking to them. Sample size that changes a program's direction can be as little as 6 custoemrs.
    *If you are a intelligent and talented and a woman, watch out. Your bosses will resent you and you will have to do triple the effort to prove yourself to no avail.
    *mediocrity rises to the top. People who can't move the needle on the weaker products we offer get lateral or upward moves to ruin new products.
    *Interns get better treatment and opportunitys than employees

Advice to Management

*All managers need 360 reviews. Many of them show one happy-slappy side to the c-suite and turn around and godzilla their teams.
    *Cull the jerks. I'd give you my list to start with, if I could.
    *Take note of the fact nobody on Glassdoor is praising your career dev programs. All the praise here is about free soda and beer.
    *Managers need to realize free Rebecca's Cafe meals are not a reward but a punishment.
    *Managers need to realize that they look good when their people succeed and get recognized. Mine takes credit for everything I do.
    *Gail, learn a bunch of rank-and-file employees names. I see you everyday and you've never called me by mine. I hear you used to have quarterly lunches with small groups of us. Try doing that again.
    * Stop using "industry benchmark questions" on the employee sat survey--CTCT will never be a high performing org while it rots from withing. There are many good, talented people who want to do good work and bring it every day, despite being thwarted by their petty managers. Unfortunately, that's not a definition of "engaged" according to your false benchmark.

10. Terrific, mission-driven company

Current Employee - Manager in Waltham, MA
    Current Employee - Manager in Waltham, MA

I have been working at Constant Contact full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Terrific mission-driven company, with a great culture. Strong leadership team. Also rediscovering its core business and values, with bright prospects for the future.

Cons

Company's stock is at an all-time high

11. Awesome company to work for and be a part of their great services and products!

Current Employee - Billing Specialist in Waltham, MA
    Current Employee - Billing Specialist in Waltham, MA

I have been working at Constant Contact full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The managers are so incredibly helpful and patient, energetic work environment, always fun to be at work - growing and learning! I have never been a part of a company that cares so much about their customers and wants to make sure we are being the best we can for them!

Cons

There aren't many cons to working here that I have seen yet. There is a great open door policy with management so any concerns that I have had thus far have been answered and reassured.

Advice to Management

My advice to management is to keep doing exactly what they are doing. They are so helpful and that's not always true of a company of this size. Great work.

Dec 19, 2014Employer Representative

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment - we're especially happy to hear that you feel comfortable speaking to management about your concerns.

RSS Feed </> Embed