Constellation Wines

Updated Mar 5, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

John A. (Jay) Wright

Excellent company, good benefits, fair pay.

Operations (Current Employee) Canandaigua, NY

ProsGood benefits and bonus program. Competitive wages. Excellent senior leadership. Get results while being respectful, calm culture. Ops Senior Leadership is phenomenal. Best mentoring, freedom to try new things and leadership I have ever experienced.

ConsMore opportunity for training/developing employees. Pockets of management can be clicky and outside the standards of company culture and allowed to continue.

Advice to Senior ManagementRotate your managers once a year to teach them different areas of the business, build respect for their peers and maybe uncover issues that would have not been discovered without the change.

STAY AWAY

ProsThere are a few nice people in the organization that really do care about what they do.

ConsIt's a political game. Catty woman-run organization.

Winemaking by bean counters!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsDecent benefits, fair pay, and I was lucky to have managers who had my back.

ConsVery little respect by upper management for the lowest level employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn to take constructive criticism. Just because one style works for fortified wine production doesn't mean that will translate to the fine wine world.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Nice employees

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Napa, CA

ProsGood environment in which to learn

ConsSomewhat disorganized in their approach

Miserable leadership & low caliber of employees

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsThey own some popular wine brands, so you will be popular with friends who want to buy wine at a 50% discount through their corporate wine site.

ConsIdiots run the asylum. HR is the most unethical bunch of cronies. The HR Director was recruited by the CMO on her Facebook page, public for all to see and everyone did see. This was done while there was another HR Director already in that role that they were trying to fire. That type of classy behavior runs rampant. The HR Director also speaks out of both sides of her mouth and clearly speaks when she shouldn't. Can't keep a secret. The backstabbing is out of control, and the worst I've ever witnessed in a company.
    Don't come here expecting to move up the ranks. The top level positions are all filled with white men....an old boys network is definitely in place here. Some of the men are complete morons too and why they get promoted mystifies most . They don't encourage a healthy lifestyle.

Advice to Senior ManagementWiden the dialogue to include those who are not white males.

Stay Away! Company doesn't care about its employees.

Associate Marketing Manager (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsBasically the only wine company based in SF (move to Napa if you can).

Cons- The people are big back stabbers. Don't trust anyone. Even the Director of HR couldn't keep quiet when they were in the process of firing a VP. Everyone in the office knew about it before it happened...I don't call that respect or confidentiality. For a company that is so focused on policy and rules, maybe HR should take a look at the handbook.
     - Listen to the other reviews - absolutely NO room for promotion. They end up bringing in outside people to do the job you could have done with your eyes closed (or most likely were doing with your eyes closed for the past 10 months while they were once again "restructuring").
    - Poor pay. They don't give raises unless you are promoted (which if you read point one, they don't).

Advice to Senior ManagementPromote from within, evaluate the skills of senior leadership.

A good group to work for

Executive Assistant (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsThe people on the spirits team were a good group to work for
    The company had a lot of team building and events for their people
    Insurance benefits were top notch
    Stock options

ConsLayoff's of the entire spirits division
    Micromanagement

Not a bad place to work but there is absolutely no room for career development.

Associate Marketing Manager (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsGood work/life balance and decent benefits.

ConsNo room for career development and poor compensation.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn how to communicate organization changes and please don't encourage people to join this organization with the hope that they will move up.

My position became just a paycheck to me at Constellation.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Canandaigua, NY

Prosfor the area, pay and benefits are pretty much unmatched. At least once a week, there is a tasting and you get to sample new products, or do a taste testing for developing products. There
    is opportunity for education both on the company intranet and through outside sources.

ConsAfter working there many years, and being one of the more tenured team members, I saw the morale come to devasting low levels, the stress increase exponentially, and those fresh out of college and/or the 'favorites of management' being promoted ahead of those with experience and loyalty to the company. There is a culture of favoritism that is disheartening. When you see MULTIPLE people taking medical leave for stress, you know something is rotten. Don't even think about offering solutions to issues that differ in opinion to the management - you'll get either ignored for future conversations or reprimanded. I routinely saw co-workers in the bathroom for 'intestinal upset', people crying at their desks. My job became merely a means of financial survival. Now that I am out of the company I am happier, healthier, and yes, while making less at my current job, feel a satisfaction that I had not had in years with Constellation. There is LIFE after CWUS, and it's a better one.

Advice to Senior ManagementUpper management creates a bottom line for each quarter without seriously considering how it's going to get there. Good people have been cut, and their workload split up among the remaining. You can't get blood from a stone. We can have all the flowery speeches and rah rah sessions in the world, but employees would rather have the support of management rather than being told to suck it up, because there are figures to be met. Jay Wright is a brilliant, likeable man. I do think he has the ability to improve the morale, but he has to be given good information, not be told what those in self-preservation mode think he needs to hear.

High Turnover, Poor Middle Management

(Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsWork / Life balance practiced in most positions. Often people are "at the winery working" while they are enjoying gourmet food and wine tastings.
    Solid wine education.
    Strong market-hold in the industry.
    Good place to learn.

ConsThe good people leave. Marketing and Sales experience way above average turnover.
    Senior management doesn't walk the walk. HR is barely staying above water. There is a strong disconnect between marketing theory and execution. Marketing leadership is self-centered more than team oriented.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn employment law. Respect the time of your employees by not canceling meetings over and over. Maintain a small business, grower feel, even though the company is corporate and large. Enhance digital communication with the end user via social media. Include all levels in team building.

Worked for Constellation Wines? Contribute to the Community!