Consumer Cellular

John Marick

It was pretty awesome

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative III in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative III in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Consumer Cellular full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

They have a great benefits health, dental, and vision! Pay was pretty high for a call center, employee appreciation days where they buy the whole building lunch from some restaurant then the higher ups service it to you! Chances to advance are pretty high. They have set pay raises from how long youve been there. Plus they give you Christmas cards with money inside (amount depending on how long youve been there)

Cons

Training is pretty fast, they throw you on the phones right away. Some supervisors are pretty rude and could care less about their reps on their team. occurrences add up fast. They count an occurrences against you for everything. If your a min late from break...guess what? You get a half of occurrences. Call mentoring is lame they mark you for the littlest thing! If you don't have a supervisor willing to go to bat for you, than your overall call scores will fail you which will make you go on a probation and they mess up again on your call scores. You'll lose your job. The people mentoring the calls do make mistakes and if the your sup doesn't dispute your score your SOL.

Make it where reps can file disputes against their own call scores, depending on your sup to do it sucks! Monitor sups more dont give them so much freedom to do what they want and treat their reps the way they want!.

The Company That Keeps Giving!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I have been working at Consumer Cellular full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Consumer Cellular is a great company to work for! I have never felt so appreciated for the job I do every day. Positive encouragement from my Supervisor, and being part of a supportive team; also, the pay and benefits are excellent.

Really is a company that cares about its employees and like to give back to the community.

Cons

Be prepared for lots of change. This is pretty typical for a company that is growing, so need to be pretty flexible.

Keep up the good work! Try to keep that small company environment despite all the growth.

Great company, little advancement

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Tualatin, OR
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Tualatin, OR

I have been working at Consumer Cellular full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Great benefits. Good pay. Company contributes to the company. Humble owners.

Cons

This is a great temp job while you are figuring yourself out

Well my supervisor always complains she has too many task to complete that she doesn't have time for her team. So that's definitely an issue that there's no one to ask for help.

Management is terrible

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative I in Redmond, OR
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative I in Redmond, OR

I worked at Consumer Cellular full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Benefits and payment is okay, but that is changing along with everything else

Cons

Management and supervisor are terrible , if your supervisor doesn't like you they look for reasons to fire you. They are all talk, they give no warnings and and add accuracies ,they make up fake reasons to fire anyone. Don't ever try to be great because they fire their top performers .

To John and Greg you guys should really look at who is running your Redmond office. If you really care like you put on then you really need to look at why your turn over rate is so high.

1940s Germany Style Management.

Former Employee - Sales/Customer Service/Billing/Technical Support in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Consumer Cellular full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Other thanks the paid employee only health plan that's it. Even then it doesn't offset the terrible pay.

Cons

Completely and I do mean Completely inflexible management with everything from bathroom use to breaks to scheduling. They WILL write you up for being late by 2 mins. Wear a diaper and if you do public transportation don't work here. This green company conciders your kind to be disposable. They're too cheap for real trainers with actual experience. And you perform not one but four departments duties for your pathetically low salary. First job I took after leaving paid me 5$/hr more for less work and a fun environment. This Is not a career path. They also don't post non call center jobs for internal employees so forget about your dreams in hr wot the it department (which is one guy by the way) seriously just avoid at all costs if you want more than to become a disposable drone.

Consistency. Flexibility. Solid values in training and after. And a competitive salary would go a LONG way toward fixing your issues. But hey AT&T is just gonna fire you when they buy you out just like they do to all mid to large mvnos.

Great Job, Strict Policies.

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative I in Tempe, AZ
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative I in Tempe, AZ

I worked at Consumer Cellular full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The pay is decent, you only have to give a 24 hr notice for unpaid time off requests, friendly environment with coworkers. Very stable position.

Cons

Very set daily routine, work day will consist of the same thing, typical call center job. Very strict attendance and adherence systems. It is mandatory to follow their rebuttals, and I noticed that setting a customer up for service is a lot easier than handling a current customers account, the customers always find something that they are unhappy about. (Service strength, bill amount, etc)
    Although it is a friendly environment with your coworkers, the leads and management can feel a bit cliquey.
    You'll have to get past genuinely trying to help people and think of them as just numbers to get more money.
    Overall, as long as you can be there every day you are told to, and you can say exactly what they tell you to say, you will do well with them.

You do have a great company. The problem I have seen a lot was a communication error. Some reps would tell customers one thing that is not following policy, then when they call back the next rep has to be the bad guy and tell them they were told wrong information.
    This could be prevented by not throwing a training class onto the floor on their second day of training. They do not know enough about the product and services to be able to handle all situations.

Good pay!

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative II in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative II in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Consumer Cellular full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good pay, supervisor most are awesome, regular breaks given, employee appreciation days.

Cons

Attendance policy is very hard to live they hold stuff on you that you did for 12months. As in being ONE min late your written up. Alot of favoritism hard to get a better position if the upper manger isnt your friend. Their commission use to be good now it sucks. Its like 1.25 per cell phone you sell.

Stop being cheap, don't let everything fall under occurrences and if you do than allow shorter time it effects you.

CSR 1

I worked at Consumer Cellular full-time (more than a year)

Pros

100% employer paid benefits for employee after 90 days, promotes a positive culture of doing the right thing. Decent pay and overtime always seems to be available. Team supervisors who are supportive and generally seems to care.

Cons

Metrics, High turnover, Limited growth potential. The straw that broke the camels back for me is when a Lead instructed me to lie to a customer rather than correct the issue, then degraded me while verifying that what I heard was correct. Started looking for other employment immediately.u

Increase support in Q's. Nothing is worse than having to wait 10 minutes to get higher level assistance and deal with negative feedback from customers due to this and see multiple supervisors sitting chatting with each other. Managers walking the halls, and taking a million smoke breaks. Jump in and help when needed rather than sit on your pedestal and dictate. No one respects leadership who will not jump in and get their hands dirty when needed.

Horrible, horrible people

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Tempe, AZ
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Tempe, AZ

I worked at Consumer Cellular full-time (less than a year)

Pros

I guess I'd say the pay was okay. Better than anything else I could find in the Phoenix area. Other than that I can't think of one possible good thing to say. I'm not even kidding.

Cons

Where to start?

1. For starters, just assume you will be fired from this job. It's just a matter of time and they will can you for every little thing.
    2. They are obsessed with your time and will control you up to the very second. Not even joking. The second. They keep track of everything you're doing and basically know where you are at all times since they require you to check in/sign in for everything. Have to use the bathroom? Better wear a diaper.
    3.You are selling, which is challenging in itself, so the fact that you're being listened in on by your manager that's sitting a few rows down from you on some headphones makes for a very stressful work day.

You're the worst, but I get it... you have a sucky job too. You have to do as your bosses say or you'll be canned too. Sadly, you're the ones that have bent over and taken it the most, which is how you are in the position that you are in. Good job!

Alright company to work for

I worked at Consumer Cellular full-time (less than a year)

Pros

They pay and benefits was good.

Cons

Really strict on attendance. If your 1 min late from break or lunch or coming to work you get an written down

To be a little laid back on the attendance and be more realistic about it.

Consumer Cellular Photos