Consumer Financial Protection Bureau

Consumer Financial Protection Bureau Director Richard Cordray
Richard Cordray

Wouldn't Imagine Working for Any Other Federal Agency

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at Consumer Financial Protection Bureau full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Some of the best and brightest people I've ever had the chance to work with. The people here are top notch, truly collaborative, and amazingly passionate about the impact they're having on the lives of everyday Americans. Coming from the private sector into public service, the CFPB created an environment that was full of open arms. Someone is always willing to help, and there's an awesome appreciation for new and diverse perspectives. I've grown so much professionally in just a short period of time.

Cons

It's the federal government, so it can be a bit wonky, lot's of new rules to learn. No frills on the office space (good for tax payers!), but totally worth it.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing. Focus on the long game, and don't allow the winds of politics distract you from the prize!

2. Do work that matters.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at Consumer Financial Protection Bureau full-time (More than a year)

Pros

CFPB is a rarity in the public sector: a newly created agency in a critical sector of the economy, charged with protecting consumers. CFPB offers unparalleled opportunity to contribute in a meaningful way to helping others. I've never worked with smarter, more capable people, many of whom share my deep commitment to the bureau's mission.

Cons

As a new agency, there are still a lot of processes being built. One side effect of working with brilliant people is that they can have strong opinions if they disagree, and continuing to refine role clarity and "swim lanes" can be a challenge.

Advice to Management

Keep prioritizing the culture and steadily building processes and structures that help people to do their jobs; avoid the temptation to become a traditional bureaucracy.

3. Innovative Federal Agency With An Important Mission

Pros

A new (and 21st century) agency with a great mission: to educate and protect the American consumer. The talent, dedication, and passion of ALL employees at CFPB provides a tremendous working environment. No matter what your role is, you will find the opportunity to be innovative and establish a sound market that works for consumers. CFPB is the next big leader in public service.

Cons

Coming from the private sector, I was accustomed to a fast pace environment. While we are a few notches above many other agencies, we encompass the same hurdles when implementing change.

5. Great Place to make a difference and serve your country

Current Employee - Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Consumer Financial Protection Bureau full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great mission protecting American consumers. Co-workers are intelligent and friendly especially in the Midwest region. Management encourages employee personal growth. Pay is competitive

Cons

There is more work than employees at this time.

Advice to Management

Headquarters should delegate more decision making to the Regions. T

6. Good work experience--work involved creativity and had impact

I have been working at Consumer Financial Protection Bureau full-time

Pros

Pros you'd expect from government position: public-service work, good work-life balance, good benefits Additionally: good investment in employee training, good compensation (it's not private sector but it's not bad) Lastly: Certainly the Bureau is still mission-focused, with talented people excited about the project of protecting American consumers

Cons

This isn't everywhere (and certainly not at higher levels of management), but there does seem to be a feeling that working in a government agency is a step down from the top private companies, which can be a drag on motivation (I didn't share that opinion coming into the Bureau)

7. CFPB Intern

Pros

Great opportunity and great pay and great people

Cons

no room for growth or to stay with this position only temporary

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work

Examiner

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cheyenne, WY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cheyenne, WY

I worked at Consumer Financial Protection Bureau full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Management is exceptional. Interesting and rewarding work.

Cons

Lots of Travel. New agency with some growing pains but very responsive management

Great Mission, Great People, and open to change

I worked at Consumer Financial Protection Bureau full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I have seen a significant effort for the Bureau and some of it's offices trying to listen to the employees. The Bureau is a great place to work with dedicated individuals and you can actually see the effect that the work has on the public. The Bureau is still in a bit of a startup phase and has some growing pains, but this is a great place to be at.

Cons

I would say that the biggest issue is IT and their inability to function correctly. Their policies and lack of knowledge is very apparent and is hindering the Bureau and the employees from doing great work.

Advice to Management

My advice would be to bring in experienced federal IT professionals to get the shop working correctly and functioning properly.

10. Great Agency

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Pros

It's a new agency, so there isn't too much red tape yet.

Cons

There are no internal hiring policies.

Advice to Management

None.

11. Hard work for great mission

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Pros

- Good work/life balance - People are passionate about what we are doing - Good mix of career public sector and private sector employees - Government agency that does not feel like a bureaucracy

Cons

- Can be hard to navigate time off policies, but not a huge deal...very few cons

RSS Feed </> Embed