Consumer Media Network

Updated December 19, 2014
Updated December 19, 2014
2.3

Patrick Gavin

Opportunities available for those who pursue it

Former Employee - Monetization Manager in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Monetization Manager in Houston, TX

I worked at Consumer Media Network full-time

Pros

Great people, great benefits! The company culture is great - good pay, benefits and perks. Being part of the management team, they're big on "team building" and going on work trips not only to network, but to also keep us close-knit. There's a ping pong table, video game consoles, and a "cafeteria" area for employees to take breaks during our busy days.

As with most other companies, there is no tier for salary. You must work for it and you'll be rewarded for your work. I've had 3 promotions during my time there and great salary increases to complement each one. My ideas were always considered, and they were very encouraging when it came to learning and improving my professional skill set.

Work/life balance is fantastic! Unless there are pressing issues or you simply want to finish something that you had been working on, you won't find yourself taking your work home or on the weekend (as many of my friends have had to do, sometimes until 2am!).

Cons

With several young employees, it can make the environment extremely fun or very hostile - depending on who you work with. There are many young managers whose ideas collide and instead of working together to come to a solution, they're set on making themselves the "right" one. And sometimes, you'll find yourself caught in the middle of an immature battle.

There is no real company structure. So, where you're headed in the company, where you want to go, and what you do is all up to you - this can be seen as a good thing for many, and bad for others.

Glorified Spam Emailing

I worked at Consumer Media Network

Pros

Some people are great and there is good work life balance.

Cons

This is an SEO company tied to websites like BestColleges.com and PublicHealth.org. These lead gen sites are created by people with little to no expertise in the fields they're addressing. They don't contribute value and rely on spam email to build links. Management is a joke and acts like a fraternity. Because they don't work for outside clients there is no sense of urgency or efficiency. People aren't held accountable for their mistakes. If you want to build a career in communications this is not the place to do it. If you don't really care and just want a pay check this is a great place for you.

If you want any success in content marketing and working with outside clients your going to have to start holding people accountable and actually get things done on a decent timeline.

Questionable Business Practices and Morals

Former Employee - Marketing/Associate in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Marketing/Associate in Seattle, WA

I worked at Consumer Media Network as an intern (more than an year)

Pros

The people are intelligent and generally pretty nice. There are great happy hours and a snack room.

Cons

I can't speak to any team outside of marketing. However, marketing is a joke. As previously stated, its essentially spam emailing. The team is nice and full of intelligent people but the manager is terrible. He lacks any management skills, talks circles instead of actually answering questions and pushes responsibilities off on other people. As an example he tried to push off the responsibility of letting an intern go off on a junior member of his team. To top it all off he is incredibly pretentious and obnoxious.

Learn the definition of an independent contractor because you have a labor department and IRS audit coming your way soon.

Perpetual Mediocrity

Former Employee - Software Architect in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Software Architect in Houston, TX

I worked at Consumer Media Network full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Relaxed company culture.
    Downtown Houston.
    Secure Parking.

Cons

Low pay: In the time I worked for this company my salary was so low it was easy to find a better job elsewhere.
    Project managers not organized.
    Management not organized and frequently changing.
    Hard to imagine how this company makes revenue. There is no way they are making enough revenue to support the expenses and overhead. This seems like the pet-project of a millionaire Entrepreneur.

Let go of all senior management and find some who know what they're doing.

Great, Flexible Place to work

Former Employee - Staff Writer in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Staff Writer in Houston, TX

I worked at Consumer Media Network full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Can work remotely/from home
    Great pay and benefits
    Challenging work
    Fun, amicable work environment

Cons

Lots of changes to keep up with new Google rankings which can be daunting if you've carely just gotten used to the last change.
    Writer's names don't always appear on work

Poor management, poor company culture

Former Employee - Writer in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Writer in Houston, TX

I worked at Consumer Media Network full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Decent work-life balance, ability to work from home when necessary, decent compensation/benefits and a few hardworking, genuinely nice people. Although I can't say the presence of a ping-pong table made me giddy and giggly on the way to work each morning.

Cons

I can only write about my time at CMN. I have no idea how it operates now. I know the place has to keep shifting shapes to survive, which should be an obvious red flag to anyone who's considering employment there. I'll put it this way: I wasn't proud to work at the company.

For me, the job was pretty unfulfilling. We didn't create anything tangible or useful. As I think it was said in another review, the goal essentially was to trick Google into ranking the sites highly so we could effectively generate leads for online colleges and insurance companies--definitely two wholesome industries. Writers, for the most part, wrote lightly researched material on subjects in which they weren't experts. The goal was to pump out as much content as possible. Quantity over quality, which I'm sure didn't endear the company to Google. In other words, the content wasn't anything you'd want to attach your name to, so I'm not complaining about there being no bylines—in fact, some were using pseudonyms that probably came from a name generator.

The ping-pong table, lime green walls, ability to wear workout clothes/pajamas/cowboy costumes to work, and happy hours were distractions meant to compensate for the unpleasant nature of the work. This was enough to keep some people happy, especially those who didn't seem to realize they were in a workplace. The lack of professionalism resulted in all kinds of child-like drama, especially for the two attention-starved people with whom I had the misfortune of being hired. People like that, who didn't have much going on outside of work, thrived on (and created) the BS that happened with their coworkers.

CMN exemplified why work and personal life shouldn't substitute for each other, and why it should always be a priority by management to establish some level of professionalism. Making writers (or whomever else) fill out a spreadsheet tracking their work progress doesn't matter when A) the work feels pointless and B) the people aren't there to work in the first place (Hey, you've got Mario Kart, gossip, trash-talking, etc.). Honestly, though, that aspect is probably better now since the company is smaller and the immature ones were let go.

Most of the problems with this company were either direct or indirect results of substandard leadership. Most of management was inexperienced in their positions and not very decisive or assertive. When Google made dramatic changes, management failed to properly adjust, leaving the company to languish until layoffs occurred. Over the course of a year, a team of roughly 30 writers was let go. Before that, an SEO team half that size was let go less than a year after it was first formed. All in all, I'm surprised this place is still around.

Go to a school of management. Hire grown-ups.

Excellent atmosphere, great work with lots of flexibility

Current Employee - Engineer in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Engineer in Houston, TX

I have been working at Consumer Media Network full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The team and atmosphere is excellent...the best I've ever had. As a developer, you're allowed to use top-notch technologies with the flexibility to use the right tool for the job. The work is fun and fast-paced, but mostly fast-paced because again, you're allowed to use tools that help productivity instead of hinder it. Dev Ops practices make releases a breeze.

I'm not sure what the other commenters on here are talking about, but I think they must have left the company during the google 2.0 transition which had every SEO-driven company scrambling. I joined after the company adjusted their strategies to google 2.0 and they're focused, driving and succeeding. Haven't encountered any black hat tactics since being here either.

Cons

Working with a partially distributed team might not be ideal for everybody. I happen to love it.

Keep up the great work!!!

Bad business, good people

I worked at Consumer Media Network

Pros

All my coworkers were surprisingly kind, laid back, decent human beings.

Cons

"Consumer Media Network" is one of the better euphemisms I've heard in my day. CMN operates hundreds of spammy "online-college-now" websites and makes its money by link-hacking Google to get more visitors whose contact info they can sell to shitty online colleges for $50-100 a pop.

There is also very little openness within the company.

It seems to be working for you, so I guess... keep it up? Woohoo capitalism!

Company has a lot of potential but lacks consistent business strategy

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I have been working at Consumer Media Network full-time

Pros

Very energetic, talented employees. Relaxed atmosphere and good work/life balance. The company culture is youthful and engaging.

Cons

The company has experienced major layoffs because of the constantly-changing business strategy. Management seems to lack the ability to adequately plan, implement and follow through on its business strategy.

Focusing more on getting new customers is the most effective way to solve your problems. Find a way to develop more unity between the two main offices.

Unethical, poorly-managed blackhat SEO firm that thrives on secrecy and misinformation

Former Employee - //// in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - //// in Seattle, WA

I worked at Consumer Media Network full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good location and office space, good benefits, happy hours and free food. Young, semi-hip office staffed by cool people for the most part.

Cons

The company fires entire teams without a second thought when something appears not to be working (and will casually discuss this within earshot of members of other teams).

CMN is extremely secretive about what it does - mostly SEO lead-gen for for-profit colleges and insurance firms, as of the time I worked there (who knows what they're trying to turn a profit from now) - and to succeed there required one to be dishonest and more competitive than cooperative with other members of one's team. Training on projects was borderline nonexistent; I would be told to ask people how to do things and would almost never be told the same thing twice, or even two methods that accomplished a task in remotely similar ways. Internal communication is borderline nonexistent and everyone is so overworked at all times that to ask anyone anything feels inappropriate.

CMN uses flawed methods to achieve lead-gen goals in a system that effectively forced itself to suffer diminishing returns and will likely continue to do so. Expect management to change your job expectations (or just fire you and everyone else you work with) and hours if they feel like it (when I was hired, I was told hours were flexible, provided everything got done; within several weeks, this was moved to a much more intense schedule with no change to compensation and plenty of what more or less amounted to mandatory unpaid overtime to keep one's job). Also expect management to go skiing if they feel like it, or to not hold scheduled meetings, or to not give you any meaningful learning experiences, no matter what you were told at the outset.

Don't treat people as disposable. Be upfront about your expectations. Actually train people, listen to your employees, and create a business model that can weather the boom and bust cycles that you will inevitably be trapped in so long as you cannot be honest with anyone.