www.consumerreports.org

Marta Tellado

Things are looking up!

Current Employee - Editorial in Yonkers, NY
    Current Employee - Editorial in Yonkers, NY

I have been working at Consumer Reports full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great to have Marta Tellado on board as CEO. She is smart and already making positive changes--focused on cleaning up upper managment. Salaries at the level are pretty out of whack for a non-profit. Finally excited to be working here again after 5 years of miserable leadership.

Cons

Slow moving, many hoops to jump through to get things done

Love the new energy. Clear out the dead weight! The worker bees are dedicated and hard-working, but many managers are just taking up space and lots of $$$. Keep focusing on making management accountable. Would love to see more room for good internal people to grow as you bring in new people.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Yonkers, NY

I worked at Consumer Reports full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Mission-driven organization and recognized brand name in product and services testing and reviews, as well as consumer rights and privileges advocate lobbyist at state and Federal levels
    Management makes an effort to inform employees about strategic planning even during the process.
    Salary and benefits are good, not to the level they once were (benefits) but good for the current market environment.
    There are some incredibly smart and engaging people working at CR that you may never have met anywhere else. The "ground level" employees are smart and dedicated to serving the consumer.

Cons

Company is still having difficulty in adapting, growing and being forward thinking on how to deliver its content and information to an ever changing media audience.
    The average of the age is getting older and most attempts at attracting a significant younger demographic have failed.

1, An organization that is recognized for its thoroughness in research, testing and providing information about products, services and relevant legislation should have at its heart a core of researchers able to support all of the company's activities. Expecting already overburdened test, editorial, operations and advocacy staff to follow and find significant consumer, legislative and market trends is unrealistic and potentially damaging.
    2. Rewards and recognition should be given to employees throughout the organization, not just from a select few departments. After sitting through 10+ years of staff meetings, a definite pattern emerged as to the kind of employees who were publicly recognized, and from which departments employees were chosen. Public recognition for contributions should be given to employees from across the organization, or not at all.
    3. The organization has lost its way and shows no sign of getting back on track anytime soon. The website is still kludgy. A lot of website content is old-these days, especially in certain categories, any information within 7-8 months of origin is considered old. The magazine has to be rethought - a total redesign is imperative in order to make it pop out at the newsstand, and to attract new readers. The other alternative is to be an online-only website, and spend all funding and initiative in that direction. You cannot grow your readership from the print products.
    5. LEARN from other magazines, especially your competitors both real and potential ones. Look at what Wired does with its "What's Inside" monthly column, what the New York Times does with its weekly magazine column "Who Made That...?" Consumer Reports should OWN that type of creativity and content. People are more visual now and expect that from all the sources they rely on. There is a huge lack of content innovation.

Until 3 years before I left the company I would have, enthusiastically, given a rating of 4.5 stars (No company is perfect). However, the last few years of my employment, as well as what has been going on internally since I left led me to downgrade my rating. The only reason I gave 3 stars instead of 2 is because of the still good benefits the company gives employees, even though these have been downgraded as well.

There's new leadership at Consumer Reports which is like a breath of fresh air; the new CEO is dynamite

I have been working at Consumer Reports full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

This is an iconic brand that was very slightly in decline, and heading for a steeper decline. In mid-September a new CEO came. Some were surprised that the Board did not pick someone with experience as a CEO in a digital media organization going through transformation. But so far Marta Tellado, the former VP of Communications of the Ford Foundation, has wow'ed staff at all levels with her vision, energy, understanding that we need to reposition and reintroduce the brand, integrate our advocacy and information products, and move to a consumer-focused, engaged, personalized and customized website, as well as other products and services. There's a new wind blowing. Come be part of it.

Cons

It's tumultuous at times when a company is undergoing radical transformation. And the outcome is unsure. But for those who want to get in now and build something the opportunities are amazing.

We need to do better on gender issues. There are too few women in the senior leadership -- though now the CEO is a woman, so that's huge. And we haven't been as good as we need to be in terms of attracting and keeping a diverse workforce. We are a non-profit, so we can't offer stock options, etc. And we'll never have the billions of Google or the like in terms of product development. But we have a unique mission or value proposition or whatever jargon you want to use, new dynamic leadership, and people like working where there's community and a mission. So this is a comer!

Short-term consultancy in website maintenence

Former Employee - IT Consultant in Yonkers, NY
    Former Employee - IT Consultant in Yonkers, NY

I worked at Consumer Reports as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

supportive office culture, gained new responsibilities as work proved successful, experienced different departments, on the job training and room for growth

Cons

departmental divisions, updating with current technology

Connecting contractors to internal employees

It's a new day

I have been working at Consumer Reports full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The products, the mission, the people.

Cons

Too many VPs want to change the culture into the companies they once worked for. My hope is they'd contribute more creativity.

Adapt to the culture, add to it--change what requires change and leave the rest alone.

Consumer Reports Gets a Poor Rating - Unreliable and Not Recommended

Current Employee - Engineer in Yonkers, NY
    Current Employee - Engineer in Yonkers, NY

I have been working at Consumer Reports full-time (more than an year)

Pros

A new CEO has been hired but she wasn't the first choice for the organization who struggled to find someone to want to come in and attempt to turn around a sinking and unfocused organization. The CEO has brought over a senior executive from her old organization and while she is not a business person maybe she has more talent than the hapless ex President and militant Chief Operating Officer who was hired and fired by the CEO within 18 months.

Cons

Where to start? I've spent 2 years at Consumer Reports so I'm a relatively new hire. I left a secure private sector job with a large company to work under the assumption that I was going to help "the greater good" Well, boy was I mislead and mistaken for joining Consumer Reports.

Consumer Reports has numerous layers of management who are all responsible for breathing life into a antiquated business model. The company hasn't made a real profit in years and new management brought in to turn things around do not have a clue. Lay-offs happen without any warning and many very competent people have been let go with very little justification. Young employees have also left because of the lack of opportunities to advance, unethical executive management and managers, and the lack of a clear career path.

Consumer Reports will always go through vicious cycles of layoffs and sudo stability. If you're in the inner circle then you may survive but for the rest of the 90 percent of the staff you'll be let go at some point in your career and then wonder why you've wasted your time at a hapless organization.

Consumer Reports deserves a not recommended rating for how it treats employees. Who cares if the organization protects the consumer if it can't do good with it's own staff.

Honor your employees - both old and new. Be objective about running the organization from a business perspective.

It's always been a quirky place to work, but recent changes have made it more challenging, to say the least.

I have been working at Consumer Reports full-time

Pros

Well-known; solid, well-respected reputation; Overall, there are still some very dedicated workers who make it worth working there. There's still opportunities to do some good work. Decent gym!

Cons

Recent hires in upper management have been among the worst managers I have ever seen in my time in the workforce. Also, it's stunning that the company has gone through a 2-1/2 year re-org, yet is still doing much of the same work it has always done. The only constant during the 2-1/2 years has been a slow steady decline in employee moral: At this point, only new hires seem to be optimistic; anyone who's been at the company longer than 3 years is, at best, apathetic. It would make a great study for an MBA program to show how not to do a Re-org and how to nearly destroy your brand (although few if any in the outside workforce nowadays care to hear about such things).

Advice to the new president (just very recently hired): Fire most of the arrogant upper level vice presidents and senior directors.

Snake pit

I worked at Consumer Reports full-time

Pros

Some very talented and good hearted people still work there.

Cons

However, current managers fires those that are good hearted and talented.

I left a place that was inherently diseased, rotting from the inside. It's too bad, because it was also one of the greatest places that I had ever worked, and for a very long time.

I still talk to people who still work there and I understand it hasn't changed whatsoever in the months I've been gone. A colleague of mine, a long time employee who gave everything to Consumer Reports, was fired by her new boss a few short weeks after he arrived on scene (which is not accurate to say as he was rarely in the office, spending a lion's share of his time some 3,000 miles away and mostly unavailable by phone and email).

While she reported directly to him, he never once spoke with her, never even emailed her, in fact he seemed to avoid her. But despite having nothing but good reviews, he fired her, kicked her out on the street, to hire "his own person." A similar thing happened to me. Only once did I meet with my supervisor, who was also brand new here. When I did meet her, she spoke to friends on the phone three times and was busy texting and "liking" Facebook posts. During our 20 minute "get to know you" meeting, she spoke to me a total of perhaps three minutes, if that.

I was never so insulted. I was fired soon after.

It seems that everyone who leaves here either jumps ship or walks the plank. I talk to enough people to know that things have not changed. The only thing that can help this place is to fire several upper level managers who are cruel and clueless and don't add anything to the great legacy of this institution.

Recently this happened to yet another great person who spent a long time there, was a very professional person, and who is irreplaceable. These decisions to fire people, to rip their lives apart aren't made because these are bad employees, or that the company is in layoff mode, it's just cruelty on the part of managers there.

It's a great place to work if you're a snake. But if you're not, watch out: They bite and they're poisonous.

A great legacy that's struggling

Current Employee - Editor in Yonkers, NY
    Current Employee - Editor in Yonkers, NY

I have been working at Consumer Reports full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Smart, passionate people are the norm here, with a few notable exceptions. CR is serious about its consumer advocacy mission. And it's great to work for a non-profit that doesn't have to compromise its principles for advertisers.

Cons

Since the company realized that it had to join the digital age and attract readers younger than 65, there's been a growing culture of fear among long-term staffers. And new management has engendered even more general anxiety by seemingly randomly laying off people and "reorganizing" to no obvious gain. If they have a master plan, no one can see it but them. But things have calmed down slightly of late, and the boat may be righting itself. Hopefully it doesn't sink.

If you really want to retain at least some of your talented employees, stop asking for more more more with no compensation, and promote someone in "content development" once in a while.

Huge Changes Underway

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Yonkers, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Yonkers, NY

I have been working at Consumer Reports full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

I love the mission of the company and I love working for a non-profit. We have some really great, super smart longstanding employees as well as some new hires that have really raised the bar. We have just had our best year financially in quite some time, which has been really exciting. We are revamping the look and feel of the magazine and it looks truly amazing, other plans are underway to do the same with our website look and feel. We have upgraded out technology platforms and our general location and facility is really nice. I love coming to work every (well, maybe not every, but most) day and seeing all the changes-we were looking and sounding really tired and sad and its fun to be part of the change.

Cons

I think anytime you have an organization going through change some people can be resistant to it, so we have to deal with that issue. Change is hard but we need to do it to move forward.

It's not all perfect here-I think generally the mid level managers are pretty solid and some of the more senior managers are doing a great job, but some need to improve their ability to work together toward a common goal.