Consumer Reports Reviews

40 reviews filtered by
3.1
Consumer Reports CEO Marta Tellado
Marta Tellado

Short-term consultancy in website maintenence

Former Contractor - IT Consultant in Yonkers, NY
    Former Contractor - IT Consultant in Yonkers, NY

I worked at Consumer Reports as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

supportive office culture, gained new responsibilities as work proved successful, experienced different departments, on the job training and room for growth

Cons

departmental divisions, updating with current technology

Advice to Management

Connecting contractors to internal employees

There's new leadership at Consumer Reports which is like a breath of fresh air; the new CEO is dynamite

I have been working at Consumer Reports full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

This is an iconic brand that was very slightly in decline, and heading for a steeper decline. In mid-September a new CEO came. Some were surprised that the Board did not pick someone with experience as a CEO in a digital media organization going through transformation. But so far Marta Tellado, the former VP of Communications of the Ford Foundation, has wow'ed staff at all levels with her vision, energy, understanding that we need to reposition and reintroduce the brand, integrate our advocacy and information products, and move to a consumer-focused, engaged, personalized and customized website, as well as other products and services. There's a new wind blowing. Come be part of it.

Cons

It's tumultuous at times when a company is undergoing radical transformation. And the outcome is unsure. But for those who want to get in now and build something the opportunities are amazing.

Advice to Management

We need to do better on gender issues. There are too few women in the senior leadership -- though now the CEO is a woman, so that's huge. And we haven't been as good as we need to be in terms of attracting and keeping a diverse workforce. We are a non-profit, so we can't offer stock options, etc. And we'll never have the billions of Google or the like in terms of product development. But we have a unique mission or value proposition or whatever jargon you want to use, new dynamic leadership, and people like working where there's community and a mission. So this is a comer!

Commitment to consumers is unwavering

I have been working at Consumer Reports full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The mission to protect and serve consumers is as strong as ever and it's still rewarding to go to work every day. The company is in the midst of an exciting transformation.

Cons

Lack of security during a time of transition. Cultural shift has been tough on the long term employees. Layoffs seem endless.

Advice to Management

More transparency, more communication of the vision for the future.

Interesting organization in transition

Current Employee - Content Creation in Yonkers, NY
    Current Employee - Content Creation in Yonkers, NY

I have been working at Consumer Reports full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Many great staff and managers trying to reinvent this venerable brand for the diigital age. Great place to work and make a real difference (and a name for yourself) if you are energetic, keen to make an impact and in tune with the future vision. Friendly culture. Some VPs have really clear ideas but others (why are there so many?) seem to add little. Great organizational mission to help all consumers and make the world a better place - what's not to like about that!

Cons

Long serving and very vocal staff whining about the good old pre-digital days can be a real drain. Many seem to think they are entitled to a job for life and have no idea what it's like to work in other places. Some lower level managers seem out of their depth. Outgoing CEO (he's overdue to retire) seems indecisive and obsessed with making old-timer staff happy. Terrible cafeteria - not exactly Google!

Advice to Management

Find a new CEO soon and make sure it's a good one. Stop pandering to old-timer staff so much with endless all staff briefings and awful Q&As, they'll whine whatever you do. Just make great things happen!

I've loved working at Consumer Reports for about the last 10 years or so.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Yonkers, NY

I have been working at Consumer Reports full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The people here are wonderful. There are doctors ready to take on the healthcare industry and to use evidence-based ratings for surgeries, hospitals, physicians. The journalists are really smart and committed, and the engineers and scientists are topnotch people working with a mission. Working with smart, committed people is a turn on, frankly. I have had a number of jobs, but this is the first where I almost always want to get to work. A senior colleague of mine at CR calls the place "geek chic." Going to the labs and seeing how they test products (and they are always asking the rest of us to join in on testing), collaborating on a story with other investigative journalists, like those at Propublica, watching the talented organizers in Texas, Yonkers, DC and San Francisco work with committed citizen activists -- this stuff is really fun.

The place is going through a pretty radical transformation to get in front of the curve that's overtaken print legacy publications. What to do with mobile? How do you monetize it? OK, the website was a big thing in the late 90's -- the first of its kind and largest to charge subscribers and to be ad-free -- but what's the next big thing? Or the next several medium sized things? Everyone is trying to figure that out and CR, in the last year particularly, has brought in new digital product and services leaders to move the place forward. The proof is still to come, but they are energizing the place.

I like seeing a number of people who were unsung stars get promoted -- which has been happening recently. We're getting a mix of new talent and ideas from the outside, which is shaking up the culture in good and sometimes tumultuous ways, but also promoting talent from within. It's not always comfortable to be in the midst of such transformation, but it's also very exciting.

When I first came to CR there would be no cars in the parking lot by 5 or 5:30 pm. I wasn't used to that. And almost every month there was another party for someone who had been there 25, or 30 or 40 years. It was like my Dad's generation's experience of work life. There are lovely things about that, but also down sides. That culture is changing, making some people feel like they are losing a family that they had come to depend upon. But for folks like me, who never intended to be one place for 40 years, it's a good thing.

Benefits are really good. And there is a real understanding among leadership, even while they drive things forward, that people have to have a work/life balance. Some of the senior leaders (particularly, but not only, the women) are really good about extending that to their staff, as well as showing that they have that even while they are so committed to their work. That's a really nice thing about the place. And if something tough happens to you on the family or personal front, this place really rallies around you and gives you the support and flexibility you need.

Cons

CR needs to do more to develop people and show them they have a career track. And of course transformation is unsettling. Some long time leaders have been let go. New senior leadership often wants new deputies, so some of that is to be expected. What's hard for many of my colleagues, and occasionally for me as well, is to see someone who loved the place and was devoted to the mission, and who contributed greatly for years, end up having to leave. If you've been other places, you know this happens. CR just isn't / wasn't used to it. And so there is uncertainty, but also excitement. The biggest thing we're waiting on is who the new CEO will be. There's a search on now.

The other thing that is a con, is that the place really does need to do a better job with diversity at many levels, including the most senior.

Advice to Management

Listen, engage, keep your doors open and find better ways to recognize the talent around you. And figure out how to make it more clear to folks that they have a career trajectory at CR. It's a small place, and leadership positions don't always open up as often as one would like. How do you get around that? You need to be thinking more about that, and being creative.

Helping Others

I have been working at Consumer Reports full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great mission, great work/life balance, competitive compensation, smart people, interesting fringe benefits (auction, store), get to participate in some testing even if you aren't in Tech.

Cons

The company's future is perhaps harder to make out than for other companies - a lot of change going on and it won't be good for everyone.

Advice to Management

Sharpen focus - too many competing plans to guide us into the future.

8. Very good.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Yonkers, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Yonkers, NY

I worked at Consumer Reports

Pros

Honorable mission, helping the everyday consumer.

Cons

Management sometimes out-of-touch with how much work each employee was assigned to do.

Advice to Management

Please reward people who have worked hard and well and take a close look at those who have been there a long time and who are slacking off (even if they're in the Union).

Things are looking up!

Current Employee - Editorial in Yonkers, NY
    Current Employee - Editorial in Yonkers, NY

I have been working at Consumer Reports full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great to have Marta Tellado on board as CEO. She is smart and already making positive changes--focused on cleaning up upper managment. Salaries at the level are pretty out of whack for a non-profit. Finally excited to be working here again after 5 years of miserable leadership.

Cons

Slow moving, many hoops to jump through to get things done

Advice to Management

Love the new energy. Clear out the dead weight! The worker bees are dedicated and hard-working, but many managers are just taking up space and lots of $$$. Keep focusing on making management accountable. Would love to see more room for good internal people to grow as you bring in new people.

10. It's a new day

I have been working at Consumer Reports full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The products, the mission, the people.

Cons

Too many VPs want to change the culture into the companies they once worked for. My hope is they'd contribute more creativity.

Advice to Management

Adapt to the culture, add to it--change what requires change and leave the rest alone.

Huge Changes Underway

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Yonkers, NY

I have been working at Consumer Reports full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I love the mission of the company and I love working for a non-profit. We have some really great, super smart longstanding employees as well as some new hires that have really raised the bar. We have just had our best year financially in quite some time, which has been really exciting. We are revamping the look and feel of the magazine and it looks truly amazing, other plans are underway to do the same with our website look and feel. We have upgraded out technology platforms and our general location and facility is really nice. I love coming to work every (well, maybe not every, but most) day and seeing all the changes-we were looking and sounding really tired and sad and its fun to be part of the change.

Cons

I think anytime you have an organization going through change some people can be resistant to it, so we have to deal with that issue. Change is hard but we need to do it to move forward.

Advice to Management

It's not all perfect here-I think generally the mid level managers are pretty solid and some of the more senior managers are doing a great job, but some need to improve their ability to work together toward a common goal.