Consumer Reports

Updated September 3, 2014
Updated September 3, 2014
2.8

Jim Guest

Commitment to consumers is unwavering

I have been working at Consumer Reports full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The mission to protect and serve consumers is as strong as ever and it's still rewarding to go to work every day. The company is in the midst of an exciting transformation.

Cons

Lack of security during a time of transition. Cultural shift has been tough on the long term employees. Layoffs seem endless.

More transparency, more communication of the vision for the future.

Interesting organization in transition

Current Employee - Content Creation  in  Yonkers, NY
    Current Employee - Content Creation in Yonkers, NY

I have been working at Consumer Reports full-time for more than a year

Pros

Many great staff and managers trying to reinvent this venerable brand for the diigital age. Great place to work and make a real difference (and a name for yourself) if you are energetic, keen to make an impact and in tune with the future vision. Friendly culture. Some VPs have really clear ideas but others (why are there so many?) seem to add little. Great organizational mission to help all consumers and make the world a better place - what's not to like about that!

Cons

Long serving and very vocal staff whining about the good old pre-digital days can be a real drain. Many seem to think they are entitled to a job for life and have no idea what it's like to work in other places. Some lower level managers seem out of their depth. Outgoing CEO (he's overdue to retire) seems indecisive and obsessed with making old-timer staff happy. Terrible cafeteria - not exactly Google!

Find a new CEO soon and make sure it's a good one. Stop pandering to old-timer staff so much with endless all staff briefings and awful Q&As, they'll whine whatever you do. Just make great things happen!

I've loved working at Consumer Reports for about the last 10 years or so.

I have been working at Consumer Reports full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

The people here are wonderful. There are doctors ready to take on the healthcare industry and to use evidence-based ratings for surgeries, hospitals, physicians. The journalists are really smart and committed, and the engineers and scientists are topnotch people working with a mission. Working with smart, committed people is a turn on, frankly. I have had a number of jobs, but this is the first where I almost always want to get to work. A senior colleague of mine at CR calls the place "geek chic." Going to the labs and seeing how they test products (and they are always asking the rest of us to join in on testing), collaborating on a story with other investigative journalists, like those at Propublica, watching the talented organizers in Texas, Yonkers, DC and San Francisco work with committed citizen activists -- this stuff is really fun.

The place is going through a pretty radical transformation to get in front of the curve that's overtaken print legacy publications. What to do with mobile? How do you monetize it? OK, the website was a big thing in the late 90's -- the first of its kind and largest to charge subscribers and to be ad-free -- but what's the next big thing? Or the next several medium sized things? Everyone is trying to figure that out and CR, in the last year particularly, has brought in new digital product and services leaders to move the place forward. The proof is still to come, but they are energizing the place.

I like seeing a number of people who were unsung stars get promoted -- which has been happening recently. We're getting a mix of new talent and ideas from the outside, which is shaking up the culture in good and sometimes tumultuous ways, but also promoting talent from within. It's not always comfortable to be in the midst of such transformation, but it's also very exciting.

When I first came to CR there would be no cars in the parking lot by 5 or 5:30 pm. I wasn't used to that. And almost every month there was another party for someone who had been there 25, or 30 or 40 years. It was like my Dad's generation's experience of work life. There are lovely things about that, but also down sides. That culture is changing, making some people feel like they are losing a family that they had come to depend upon. But for folks like me, who never intended to be one place for 40 years, it's a good thing.

Benefits are really good. And there is a real understanding among leadership, even while they drive things forward, that people have to have a work/life balance. Some of the senior leaders (particularly, but not only, the women) are really good about extending that to their staff, as well as showing that they have that even while they are so committed to their work. That's a really nice thing about the place. And if something tough happens to you on the family or personal front, this place really rallies around you and gives you the support and flexibility you need.

Cons

CR needs to do more to develop people and show them they have a career track. And of course transformation is unsettling. Some long time leaders have been let go. New senior leadership often wants new deputies, so some of that is to be expected. What's hard for many of my colleagues, and occasionally for me as well, is to see someone who loved the place and was devoted to the mission, and who contributed greatly for years, end up having to leave. If you've been other places, you know this happens. CR just isn't / wasn't used to it. And so there is uncertainty, but also excitement. The biggest thing we're waiting on is who the new CEO will be. There's a search on now.

The other thing that is a con, is that the place really does need to do a better job with diversity at many levels, including the most senior.

Listen, engage, keep your doors open and find better ways to recognize the talent around you. And figure out how to make it more clear to folks that they have a career trajectory at CR. It's a small place, and leadership positions don't always open up as often as one would like. How do you get around that? You need to be thinking more about that, and being creative.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Helping Others

I have been working at Consumer Reports full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great mission, great work/life balance, competitive compensation, smart people, interesting fringe benefits (auction, store), get to participate in some testing even if you aren't in Tech.

Cons

The company's future is perhaps harder to make out than for other companies - a lot of change going on and it won't be good for everyone.

Sharpen focus - too many competing plans to guide us into the future.

Very good.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Yonkers, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Yonkers, NY

I worked at Consumer Reports

Pros

Honorable mission, helping the everyday consumer.

Cons

Management sometimes out-of-touch with how much work each employee was assigned to do.

Please reward people who have worked hard and well and take a close look at those who have been there a long time and who are slacking off (even if they're in the Union).

Huge Changes Underway

I have been working at Consumer Reports full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

I love the mission of the company and I love working for a non-profit. We have some really great, super smart longstanding employees as well as some new hires that have really raised the bar. We have just had our best year financially in quite some time, which has been really exciting. We are revamping the look and feel of the magazine and it looks truly amazing, other plans are underway to do the same with our website look and feel. We have upgraded out technology platforms and our general location and facility is really nice. I love coming to work every (well, maybe not every, but most) day and seeing all the changes-we were looking and sounding really tired and sad and its fun to be part of the change.

Cons

I think anytime you have an organization going through change some people can be resistant to it, so we have to deal with that issue. Change is hard but we need to do it to move forward.

It's not all perfect here-I think generally the mid level managers are pretty solid and some of the more senior managers are doing a great job, but some need to improve their ability to work together toward a common goal.

Great company to intern for

I worked at Consumer Reports as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Good company culture, people are friendly and understanding

Cons

awkward time for the company with the shift going on, lay-offs seem to be happening each day

Had a great experience and learning curve

Current Employee - IT Manager  in  Yonkers, NY
    Current Employee - IT Manager in Yonkers, NY

I have been working at Consumer Reports full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Compensation has been consistent
    Work-life balance is excellent. Senior Management has been extremely nice to me in this aspect
    Other benefits are great as well

Cons

Promotions are a slow process and dont have a clue how it goes!!

Recognize talent thats already inside. Though they say they are doing it, I know several people who say they have more band width to contribute more, but no opportunities

Tough transition but commitment to mission

I have been working at Consumer Reports full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

There's a real commitment to the mission of serving consumers. The industry is going through tough times, and CR isn't immune. There is some excitement in the transition and in being part of a solution.

Cons

As the organization is transitioning away from print and to a more agile approach to developing and distributing content, there's been some pain as there have been some layoffs. That's a shift in the culture, and resulted in hard feelings for some.

Keep on pushing through on the transition and making necessary changes; don't lose focus on what makes the organization unique: its mission.

Excellent company -- great work-life balance, realistic expectations. But they need to evolve to survive!

Former Employee - Marketing Project Leader/Consultant  in  Yonkers, NY
    Former Employee - Marketing Project Leader/Consultant in Yonkers, NY

I worked at Consumer Reports as a contractor for more than 8 years

Pros

Company has a great mission -- nice to work for an organization that has a larger sense of purpose than that quarter's earnings.

Good work-life balance/flexibility.

Most people are smart and great to work with.

Cons

Aging customer base. If they want to survive, they will need to figure out how to appeal to younger audience.

Non-profit mission is nice, but constrains what can be done from a marketing point of view. Marketing is still the "ugly step-child" even though they're the ones making the money to forward the "mission".

Union is cumbersome. Hard to fire bad people. Some old wood hanging around.

Evolve to attract a younger audience. Ease up on the "mission" so you can do more creative marketing stuff.

Worked for Consumer Reports? Contribute to the Community!