Consumer Reports Reviews

1. Manager

Current Employee - Manager in Yonkers, NY
    Current Employee - Manager in Yonkers, NY

I have been working at Consumer Reports full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Dedicated, smart and outstanding team to work with.

Cons

competitve landscape for similar info in marketplace eating away at our market share

Advice to Management

We must continue to innovate

The Greatest Place to Work in the World!

Current Employee - Human Resources Intern in Yonkers, NY
    Current Employee - Human Resources Intern in Yonkers, NY

I have been working at Consumer Reports full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Management, especially editorial and tech managers are geniuses. They're so very smart that we're all so in awe! Beyond that, everyone is very happy here. I mean, people laugh all day long and you never see anyone without a smile on their face. Also, the Human Resources people are really trying to help out the employees at all times, and they're not doing anything like spying on employees or trying to find ways to manipulate them. All in all this is an exceptional place. Everyone always has a smile on their face and nobody would ever think of wanting to work elsewhere. Why trust me? Because I work at Consumer Reports and we rate everything, including ourselves. We even have low-level employees that write great reviews about Consumer Reports on Glassdoor.com. We are perfect.

Cons

That nasty union. They're terrible. They put a rat up in front of the building. How terrible. And some union employees are just lost in their hippy past.

Advice to Management

You're so very great and absolutely the smartest people I have ever met. You're omnipotent, well-dressed and beloved. Please continue to gaze upon us worker bees with fondness as you so often do.

the best so far

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Yonkers, NY

I have been working at Consumer Reports full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I've worked for 3 other companies in the past 20 years and CR is by far the best yet. It's a relaxed, friendly work environment with a diverse workforce who are all generally respectful of differing viewpoints.

Cons

Something needs to change if they are to survive another 80 years. People don't subscribe to magazine much anymore and too many web site exist where people can access free (albeit, probably not unbiased) product reviews.

Advice to Management

Be respectful of the contract in place with union employees and adhere to the wording. Do not provoke the union members.

Looking for an Identity

Current Employee - Editor in Yonkers, NY
    Current Employee - Editor in Yonkers, NY

I have been working at Consumer Reports full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The unbiased review of products and innovation in the way we reach out to consumers to empower them to get more value and safety are extremely gratifying reasons to work for Consumer Reports. The generally close, supportive and laid-back staff make workdays pleasant and warm.

Cons

The culture has been changing for the past 5 years. Employees with a long history with the company have been forced out. In trying to achieve the laudable goal of a more efficient and profitable organization, cultural memory is being wiped clean. Turnover is high and contractual security is tenuous. The warm, close-knit, and adaptable staff are being forced into a harried, CYA lifestyle. Wedges are driven between staff and the line managers. Staffers and middle management seem to be enjoying their work less and there is a sense that we are at times aimless.

Advice to Management

Stop the fits and starts! Adopt a plan, look to all areas of the company to craft solutions, realize the adaptability of your staff, and finish what you start; see the plan through to completion and then analyze its success or failure. You can't strive for excellence and continuous improvement if you don't know your current status or the direction you're headed!

Company in Transition

Current Employee - Analyst in Yonkers, NY
    Current Employee - Analyst in Yonkers, NY

I have been working at Consumer Reports full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

CR has a great legacy and a stellar reputation. Folks who do not work here are impressed to hear that I do.

Cons

This 80 year old company is experiencing serious 'growing pains' and 'false starts' as we endeavor to become more and more Digital. At the same time, our new management seems unbelievably ignorant, or intolerably arrogant in their dealings with the Union employees (over half the staff). Contract terms are ignored, forcing the Union to bring them to Arbitration.

Advice to Management

Realize that the staff has the best interests of CR at heart. Focus on the future. Negotiate with the Union quickly and honorably. Communicate truthfully.

Aimless, clueless, sad

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Yonkers, NY

I have been working at Consumer Reports full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

- Good work/life balance. - Really good health insurance. - Convenient location if you're north of NYC. - A culture of smart, innovative people. - A non-profit with a worthy cause.

Cons

- Layoffs on a semi-regular basis. - Management that disregards union contracts. - No real room for growth. Management pays lip service to growth and career development, but the results have been poor to say the least. Lots of soft skill training, nothing in the way of useful skills/knowledge. - Revolving door of upper management has the org constantly trying to define itself internally. But the employees know what the org is. Why don't the execs? (To answer that question: Execs are either a) new arrivals or b) scrambling to keep their jobs rather than working towards the good of the org.) - Related: Lots and lots of money wasted on consultants and advisers with no or negative results (see new format of CR mag). They wouldn't need to lay off people if they trusted their own employees. - More money wasted on exec salaries. It's insane what some of them make. Jim Guest was making 4-5x the median non-profit CEO salary. - Some icky business practices (auto-renewing subscriptions, heavy-handed marketing language) that don't match the company's values, causing some cognitive dissonance.

Advice to Management

- Learn to improve the org as a whole by re-allocating resources and training employees to contribute the way you want rather than just cutting jobs. - Unite business practices with CR's values. - Stop wasting money! - Respect your employees. - Respect legal contracts. - Respect the history of CR.

Misguided management

I have been working at Consumer Reports full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I am passionate about product safety. I'm proud of the work I've contributed to keeping consumer products safe

Cons

management is busily adding layers of management while neglecting what differentiates us from any competitors. We don't take ads, we buy everything we test, and we test in a scientific way as well as less formal, more "what did you think?" way. Testing is marginalized to the point of feeling invisible. Website is TERRIBLE and has been for years, redesigns costing millions and still - terrible. We work here and can't find things on there. Let us do what we are passionate about and do better than anyone else - test products and report on them in a CONSUMER FRIENDLY AND ENGAGING WAY.

Advice to Management

get a clue. there is so much passion and knowledge here in the staff, yet you are hiring managers to manage other managers instead of taking what's here and using it to bring interest and subscribers to us.

Contract Violations

Pros

Nice people to work with

Cons

Senior management is out of touch with its employees

Advice to Management

Honor the contract and treat employees as real people

Anonymous

I have been working at Consumer Reports full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

An amazingly committed staff, despite years of mismanagement

Cons

Loss of mission and culture. Supposedly changing from subscription based to "membership" model. Since they are destroying our once outstanding testing program, it's assumed this is an attempt to attract those committed mainly to advocacy. Current management came mostly from the Ford Foundation so the staff's assumption is that is where CR is headed.

Advice to Management

Maintain the mission and legacy of this national treasure. New management seems bent on destroying decades of institutional history and culture. CR's testing program was a standout and what attracted subscribers. Decades of poor management decisions have decimated our brand yet they blame the staff. Anyone with more than 5 years on the job is seen as lazy and expendable. They talk a good game but actions speak louder than words. They consistently spout the terms "transparency and partnership" but display neither. Recent layoffs do not bode well for the employees as they seem hell bent on destroying the union for their own avarice. Actively seeking employment elsewhere. Avoid at all costs.

Student Assistant - design

I worked at Consumer Reports part-time

Pros

The office is cozy and people there are nice and friendly. As a student assistant, I got lots of opportunities to learn new skills and any questions are welcome.

Cons

Honestly, I didn`t see any downsides of working here. Maybe enable student assistants to be involved more in the projects .

Advice to Management

Management does a good job to keep the office expanding. And they moved to their new office last year.

RSS Feed </> Embed