Consumer Reports Reviews

Reset

Consumer Reports Gets a Poor Rating - Unreliable and Not Recommended

Current Employee - Engineer in Yonkers, NY
    Current Employee - Engineer in Yonkers, NY

I have been working at Consumer Reports full-time (More than a year)

Pros

A new CEO has been hired but she wasn't the first choice for the organization who struggled to find someone to want to come in and attempt to turn around a sinking and unfocused organization. The CEO has brought over a senior executive from her old organization and while she is not a business person maybe she has more talent than the hapless ex President and militant Chief Operating Officer who was hired and fired by the CEO within 18 months.

Cons

Where to start? I've spent 2 years at Consumer Reports so I'm a relatively new hire. I left a secure private sector job with a large company to work under the assumption that I was going to help "the greater good" Well, boy was I mislead and mistaken for joining Consumer Reports. Consumer Reports has numerous layers of management who are all responsible for breathing life into a antiquated business model. The company hasn't made a real profit in years and new management brought in to turn things around do not have a clue. Lay-offs happen without any warning and many very competent people have been let go with very little justification. Young employees have also left because of the lack of opportunities to advance, unethical executive management and managers, and the lack of a clear career path. Consumer Reports will always go through vicious cycles of layoffs and sudo stability. If you're in the inner circle then you may survive but for the rest of the 90 percent of the staff you'll be let go at some point in your career and then wonder why you've wasted your time at a hapless organization. Consumer Reports deserves a not recommended rating for how it treats employees. Who cares if the organization protects the consumer if it can't do good with it's own staff.

Advice to Management

Honor your employees - both old and new. Be objective about running the organization from a business perspective.

It's a new day

I have been working at Consumer Reports full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The products, the mission, the people.

Cons

Too many VPs want to change the culture into the companies they once worked for. My hope is they'd contribute more creativity.

Advice to Management

Adapt to the culture, add to it--change what requires change and leave the rest alone.

It's always been a quirky place to work, but recent changes have made it more challenging, to say the least.

I have been working at Consumer Reports full-time

Pros

Well-known; solid, well-respected reputation; Overall, there are still some very dedicated workers who make it worth working there. There's still opportunities to do some good work. Decent gym!

Cons

Recent hires in upper management have been among the worst managers I have ever seen in my time in the workforce. Also, it's stunning that the company has gone through a 2-1/2 year re-org, yet is still doing much of the same work it has always done. The only constant during the 2-1/2 years has been a slow steady decline in employee moral: At this point, only new hires seem to be optimistic; anyone who's been at the company longer than 3 years is, at best, apathetic. It would make a great study for an MBA program to show how not to do a Re-org and how to nearly destroy your brand (although few if any in the outside workforce nowadays care to hear about such things).

Advice to Management

Advice to the new president (just very recently hired): Fire most of the arrogant upper level vice presidents and senior directors.

Snake pit

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Yonkers, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Yonkers, NY

I worked at Consumer Reports full-time

Pros

Some very talented and good hearted people still work there.

Cons

However, current managers fires those that are good hearted and talented.

Advice to Management

I left a place that was inherently diseased, rotting from the inside. It's too bad, because it was also one of the greatest places that I had ever worked, and for a very long time. I still talk to people who still work there and I understand it hasn't changed whatsoever in the months I've been gone. A colleague of mine, a long time employee who gave everything to Consumer Reports, was fired by her new boss a few short weeks after he arrived on scene (which is not accurate to say as he was rarely in the office, spending a lion's share of his time some 3,000 miles away and mostly unavailable by phone and email). While she reported directly to him, he never once spoke with her, never even emailed her, in fact he seemed to avoid her. But despite having nothing but good reviews, he fired her, kicked her out on the street, to hire "his own person." A similar thing happened to me. Only once did I meet with my supervisor, who was also brand new here. When I did meet her, she spoke to friends on the phone three times and was busy texting and "liking" Facebook posts. During our 20 minute "get to know you" meeting, she spoke to me a total of perhaps three minutes, if that. I was never so insulted. I was fired soon after. It seems that everyone who leaves here either jumps ship or walks the plank. I talk to enough people to know that things have not changed. The only thing that can help this place is to fire several upper level managers who are cruel and clueless and don't add anything to the great legacy of this institution. Recently this happened to yet another great person who spent a long time there, was a very professional person, and who is irreplaceable. These decisions to fire people, to rip their lives apart aren't made because these are bad employees, or that the company is in layoff mode, it's just cruelty on the part of managers there. It's a great place to work if you're a snake. But if you're not, watch out: They bite and they're poisonous.

A great legacy that's struggling

Current Employee - Editor in Yonkers, NY
    Current Employee - Editor in Yonkers, NY

I have been working at Consumer Reports full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Smart, passionate people are the norm here, with a few notable exceptions. CR is serious about its consumer advocacy mission. And it's great to work for a non-profit that doesn't have to compromise its principles for advertisers.

Cons

Since the company realized that it had to join the digital age and attract readers younger than 65, there's been a growing culture of fear among long-term staffers. And new management has engendered even more general anxiety by seemingly randomly laying off people and "reorganizing" to no obvious gain. If they have a master plan, no one can see it but them. But things have calmed down slightly of late, and the boat may be righting itself. Hopefully it doesn't sink.

Advice to Management

If you really want to retain at least some of your talented employees, stop asking for more more more with no compensation, and promote someone in "content development" once in a while.

Huge Changes Underway

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Yonkers, NY

I have been working at Consumer Reports full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I love the mission of the company and I love working for a non-profit. We have some really great, super smart longstanding employees as well as some new hires that have really raised the bar. We have just had our best year financially in quite some time, which has been really exciting. We are revamping the look and feel of the magazine and it looks truly amazing, other plans are underway to do the same with our website look and feel. We have upgraded out technology platforms and our general location and facility is really nice. I love coming to work every (well, maybe not every, but most) day and seeing all the changes-we were looking and sounding really tired and sad and its fun to be part of the change.

Cons

I think anytime you have an organization going through change some people can be resistant to it, so we have to deal with that issue. Change is hard but we need to do it to move forward.

Advice to Management

It's not all perfect here-I think generally the mid level managers are pretty solid and some of the more senior managers are doing a great job, but some need to improve their ability to work together toward a common goal.

Commitment to consumers is unwavering

I have been working at Consumer Reports full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The mission to protect and serve consumers is as strong as ever and it's still rewarding to go to work every day. The company is in the midst of an exciting transformation.

Cons

Lack of security during a time of transition. Cultural shift has been tough on the long term employees. Layoffs seem endless.

Advice to Management

More transparency, more communication of the vision for the future.

Tough transition but commitment to mission

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Yonkers, NY

I have been working at Consumer Reports full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

There's a real commitment to the mission of serving consumers. The industry is going through tough times, and CR isn't immune. There is some excitement in the transition and in being part of a solution.

Cons

As the organization is transitioning away from print and to a more agile approach to developing and distributing content, there's been some pain as there have been some layoffs. That's a shift in the culture, and resulted in hard feelings for some.

Advice to Management

Keep on pushing through on the transition and making necessary changes; don't lose focus on what makes the organization unique: its mission.

Had a great experience and learning curve

Current Employee - IT Manager in Yonkers, NY
    Current Employee - IT Manager in Yonkers, NY

I have been working at Consumer Reports full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Compensation has been consistent Work-life balance is excellent. Senior Management has been extremely nice to me in this aspect Other benefits are great as well

Cons

Promotions are a slow process and dont have a clue how it goes!!

Advice to Management

Recognize talent thats already inside. Though they say they are doing it, I know several people who say they have more band width to contribute more, but no opportunities

So sad

I have been working at Consumer Reports full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The mission and the people who work there. I still have hope for CR, but perhaps not during my tenure there.

Cons

poor morale, coldness of some senior leaders who truly don't care about the staff. Recent reorganization was poorly executed. Some changes were drastic and not thought through.

Advice to Management

Walk the talk when it comes to trust, civility and respect. Start from within and gain back trust of the staff.

RSS Feed </> Embed