Consumer Services

1 Rating

LOVE MY JOB!!!

Current Employee - Registered Medical Assistant in Owosso, MI
    Current Employee - Registered Medical Assistant in Owosso, MI

I have been working at Consumer Services full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great,friendly and supportive coworkers!
    The ability to help those that need mental health care. I'm basically the liaison for the consumers and Nurse Practitioners. I handle the NP schedules and calls from consumers with medication concerns, and I coordinate care with the Consumers and their PCP. I currently live in Flint, which gives me about a 40 min drive to and from work, but I truly enjoy working here, so it's worth the drive.

Cons

I have no Cons for the office I work for. Everyone here is a team player, and does their best to help one another, and help the consumers get the care they need.

Keep up the great work!

Awesome place to work!

Current Employee - Mental Health Therapist in Flint, MI
    Current Employee - Mental Health Therapist in Flint, MI

I have been working at Consumer Services as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Setting your own schedule,,,kind staff

Cons

hired as independent contractor but treated like an employee with no benefits

Loved being able to help consumers in day to day lives, absolutely cannot stand disorganized management.

Current Employee - Support Staff in Ypsilanti, MI
    Current Employee - Support Staff in Ypsilanti, MI

I have been working at Consumer Services part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Got to work with consumers every day, helping them with hand-over-hand assistance, or leading assistance, in various daily tasks.
    My consumers were typically in my area, and I didn't have to go very far to their homes.
    They're very flexible for school schedules.
    Paid mileage.

Cons

Management is very disorganized.
    Management lives about an hour away, and on-call managers often do not help with consumers in emergency situations.
    On-call managers do not help find replacement staff if staff is unable to find a replacement, even in emergency situations.
    On-call managers often ignore phone calls, or are rude when they pick up the phone.
    Managers do not know enough about the company, and questions like, "Is this day a holiday pay day?" are often met with "I don't know" responses.
    There is no paid-time-off for part-time associates.
    There is no over time, even when you are needed to provide over-time situations, have had them put the extra hours over into the next week, or you lose the hours worked.
    There is no sick pay for part-time associates.
    There are no raises unless you become management, which is only a $3 raise. Salaried.
    Mileage is less than IRS rate, it has been at .50 a mile for the last year, when asked about it raising, management states that they weren't aware of the raise.
    There is no proper lifting training.
    "Training" consists of a one day orientation where you are adult CPR trained, you are given medication training through WCC, and recipient rights training. You are "inserviced" by co-workers typically for one shift, sometimes two shifts, and then expected to be able to know everything to do with their care. On-call management typically will answer questions here, but, get annoyed fast.

Communication. Bring back paid-time-off. Raises. Don't worry about adding more consumers, worry about training your staff well enough in each client that you currently have. Get more staff. Work on more training practices for consumers. Look into multiple staff working at certain homes.

Poorly Managed

Former Employee - Case Manager in Flint, MI
    Former Employee - Case Manager in Flint, MI

I worked at Consumer Services as a contractor (more than 3 years)

Pros

None none none none none.

Cons

Terrible company to work for. Extremely poor communication from management, daily changes that affect efficiency without communication. Management is focused on profits not on quality services and certainly not on cultivating a good work environment.

Promote those who are qualified through education, experience and the right values! Communicate with employees; they need trust, support and encouragement.