Consumer United

www.consumerunited.com

Consumer United Reviews

Updated Jul 16, 2014

Justin Dangel

Pros
  • great team members, opportunity for growth, awesome training and work-life balance(in 5 reviews)

• There are some great people trying to drive forward the company, working tirelessly who you can get behind(in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • It's turning into a call center, is not sales anymore but rather customer service(in 3 reviews)

• Ever changing compensation structure makes it extremely difficult to know how much you may make(in 3 reviews)

great experience

Prosgood comp. structure for employees

Conslow salary base for yearly income

Groundhog Day

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Boston, MA

ProsA workplace that really allows you to be yourself. Fun, competitive atmosphere, decent pay, lots of opportunity.

ConsLots of top down blame and reliance on entry level employees and managers and solve problems that executives don't take accountability for.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop applying the same fixes to the same problems that don't work. Cut losses with people who clearly have no idea what they are doing. Invest in long term growth of employees who are burnt out by years on the phones.

Be Weary about working Here At CU

Insurance Sales Agent (Current Employee) Westborough, MA

ProsPay for all the licenses fee in becoming a national Producer in writing Home and Auto Insurances.

ConsHigh pressures, un realistic goals for making quota

Advice to Senior ManagementQuitting changing the bonus compensation every month, stop selling the sales agents on lies and empty promise.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Don't waste your time

Inside Sales Representative (Former Employee) Westborough, MA

ProsSalary + commission, but that's if they pay you correctly

ConsWalked in for an interview... Employees were sitting on the floor, barely half were working, and managers did not give a crap about you if you walked in the door.

Advice to Senior ManagementShape up, grow up, and make your company an actual place to work if you're going to hire people.

Constant management changes

Sales Manager (Former Employee) Boston, MA

ProsYou get to learn a lot.

ConsContinued C- Level changes are an obvious indication the company is failing. If you are smart they will exploit you. If you are good at sales, you'll quit this place in 6 months. You'll be working hard and late to make up for all of the slackers and politics. This place has so many law suits and problems its actually comical. If you like being on a Jerry Springer episode gone bad, you should come work here as a "lead qualifier".

Unprofessional

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThere were some managers willing to help you learn how to sell. For the most part, they just want to use people to advance their own careers.

ConsThere were homophobic sales agents and a heavy drinking culture. I was made to feel very uncomfortable at work. Company culture is to lie.

Advice to Senior ManagementRetain your salesforce. You burn them out, you do not grow.

Terrible

Producer (Former Employee) Westborough, MA

ProsCo-workers were awesome, very relaxed atmosphere, not far commute

ConsRequired you to come in on weekends, practically cold calling, ever changing compensation structire

Run, Run, Run, and If You're a Woman Run Even Faster!!!!

Sales Agent (Former Employee)

ProsFor the most part none, there are a couple of good people within the company. If you're recent college grad and are completely desperate with absolutely no other option then consider C.U. Otherwise look elsewhere.

Cons-Lack of women within the company, both at the bottom and the top.
    -Complete lack of diversity at the top.
    -They hire anyone that has a pulse, thus you'll be working with incredibly stupid people. Colleagues that don't know that Philadelphia is a major city in the state of Pennsylvania.
    -It's turning into a call center, is not sales anymore but rather customer service
    -Management are incredibly unprofessional, immature jerks, who are power hungry and willing to backstab anyone in order to get to the top.
    -Completely lacks innovation
    -Not a good company to have on your resume.

I'm giving C.U about 3 years, then another much more innovative company is going to kick them to the curb. I don't see them becoming the next big thing. C.U is more like one of those incessant telemarketing companies rather than an innovative start up. C.U is more like a large independent insurance agency with a national and online presence.

The sad part about everything is that the business idea is absolutely great. It's agonizing to see such a great business idea being butchered by such level of stupidity and lack of innovation.

Advice to Senior ManagementI don't think that the anyone in management is a great visionary or innovator. Try to fosters ideas from the people that you hire. However, to be frank I think you should just let C.U sink.

Hard Work is Rewarded

Marketing Project Coordinator (Current Employee) Boston, MA

ProsThere is opportunity to learn and grow professionally everyday at Consumer United. Earning potential is great along with an opportunity of ownership as a long term financial benefit. Being in a start up environment knowing that I will receive a paycheck for the here and now along with stock options is a constant motivator to add value. The organization is flat, I personally have sat down with the CEO to simply talk about my thoughts about the company.

I categorize my experience here as a career and not a job. Within 1 year I have gone from 0 insurance production licences to 12. Also, from 0 sales relationships to hundreds of clients. Lastly, after 1 year I have been promoted into a role that is extremely exciting and brimming with opportunity.

In summation: Work Hard, Add Value, Be Rewarded.

ConsThere are times when extra hours are needed to get the job done. Like any other business, challenges arise that impact employees.

Fun and unique company, great people, great culture... money to be made..

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Boston, MA

Prosnice benefits, great place for people to get into an industry (insurance) and learn all about it, a career starter ... allows young talent to excel, gives opportunity to grow... great training program.. accessible executives who will listen to their employees and cares about their success, positive environment all around!

Consupper management can be a little secretive but have been quick to realize the error of their ways and as a result are striving to improve all elements of the company... sometimes tech issues...

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you are doing (building an excellent company!)

Worked for Consumer United? Contribute to the Community!