Consumer United

Consumer United Reviews

Updated September 9, 2014
Updated September 9, 2014

Justin Dangel

Pros
  • great team members, opportunity for growth, awesome training and work-life balance (in 5 reviews)

• There are some great people trying to drive forward the company, working tirelessly who you can get behind (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • It's turning into a call center, is not sales anymore but rather customer service (in 3 reviews)

• Ever changing compensation structure makes it extremely difficult to know how much you may make (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Great place to start your career and grow personally and professionally.

Current Employee - Sales Agent  in  Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Sales Agent in Boston, MA

I have been working at Consumer United full-time for more than a year

Pros

This is a start up feel atmosphere that encourages enthusiasm, optimism and excitement. There are several perks such as free food daily, free crossfit, and free yoga. Senior management has open office hours weekly to entertain and suggestions for growth and development. Personal growth is huge because you are not in an established environment you are able to do a lot of trial and error and learn first hand from your personal experiences in the professional environment. The work life balance is great with 3 weeks PTO and all holidays paid. Benefits from day one are also extremely competitive. Hard work is not only recognized it's rewarded.

Cons

As any company some late nights are required during busy months. Over time is paid out to those who are not salaried. Also because it is a newer company things are constantly changing so you have to thrive in a fast paced environment. If you do not like change, then this is NOT for you.

Right out of college? Great place to start!

Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative  in  Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Boston, MA

I have been working at Consumer United full-time for more than a year

Pros

The only company that took me seriously as a young professional. The company does a great job at making you feel valued as an employee, and the really try to reward you for your great work.
    I haven't heard of very many companies where the CEO will have open office hours, as well as a company that takes there employees suggestions seriously.
    The pay is great right out of college, the benefits are pretty awesome as well!

Cons

The company is still a start up, so there is a lot of growth and change. This is great because as an employee you can choose to be part of that change, and make your opinions known during office hours.
    If you aren't someone who can handle change, this probably isn't the company for you.

Keep listening to employee feedback, it feels great to be heard by upper lever people within the company!

Unprofessional, High turn-over rates, and they just let go of 15% percent of the work force.

Former Employee - Sales Agent
    Former Employee - Sales Agent

I worked at Consumer United full-time for less than a year

Pros

They pay for your training in both sales and insurance, including your personal lines licensing exam. Free food and decent benefits, including up to 3 weeks of PTO. Good hours. High potential for this company to be a leading brand.

Cons

Very unprofessional. I've never been pushed further in my ethics than at this job. I was told by my manager repeatedly to lie to customers over the phone, to "make them feel stupid" if they decided to not buy on impulse, to lower their coverages if the price was higher after the MVR reports, all in order to meet the unrealistic 'average' quota for the month. If you are looking for meaningful work where you can be honest and sleep at night, please think twice before applying. If you are looking for a quick way to earn a higher than average wage for an entry level job, at whatever the cost, this may be a short term job for you.

Be ethical.

Consumer United Response

Sep 3, 2014Marketing

We recently made a 15% reduction in our workforce. Everyone let go was provided with several week's pay, and while this was a difficult decision, it will allow the company to focus on additional ... More

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

I worked at Consumer United

Pros

Lots of young people, fun environment. Opportunity for growth into management, office is in a killer location downtown

Cons

pidgeon hole yourself in insurance and consumer sales, micromanaged, irate customers, coworkers are drug addicts

They have no idea what they're doing

I worked at Consumer United

Pros

Young atmosphere... Some of the people are nice

Cons

They just laid off 20% of the company... So they clearly aren't in good shape. It feels like they have no idea how to run a business, extremely unprofessional, and treats their employees as if they are disposable. I see the company going under fast. I am so glad I got out when I did.

Get it together. There is very little structure, no real processes in place... Stop giving people titles when they aren't qualified or able to manage teams.

Consumer United Response

Aug 29, 2014Marketing

Great idea but like most companies the bottom line is $

Former Employee - Sales Agent  in  Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Sales Agent in Boston, MA

I worked at Consumer United full-time for less than a year

Pros

You work with a lot of young and fun people. Social is great.

Cons

Saying one thing and wanting another. "We want to save you money" No they want to sell you a policy that might lower your coverage so you don't pay more. Which is fine if the elderly lady on the other line knew what I was doing. Agents will lie to customers and managers encourage this and any "glitch" in the insurance programs.

Maybe wait longer than a month to change pay structure...multiple times. Let people get their full bonus instead of spreading it out between several months.

Consumer United: Where dreams go to die

Former Employee - Sales Agent  in  Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Sales Agent in Boston, MA

I worked at Consumer United full-time for more than a year

Pros

Random outings are paid for by the company, if you are good at sales, you can make decent money. There's some genuinely nice people who work there.

Cons

Unrealistic sales goal, "bro" atmosphere, everyone is either on drugs or selling drugs, male to female ratio of 20:1, whoever said run run run, run faster if youre a woman was spot on.

Treat your employees better. There's great salespeople that get burnt out from being on the phones so long.

Hey, it's a paycheck

Former Employee - Licensed Insurance Agent  in  Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Licensed Insurance Agent in Boston, MA

I worked at Consumer United full-time for less than a year

Pros

A lot of good people on the sales and training teams. I have done worse things for less money.

Cons

They convince you that you are helping people. I was there 6 months I annoyed a heck of a lot more people that I ever helped.

Groundhog Day

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at Consumer United full-time

Pros

A workplace that really allows you to be yourself. Fun, competitive atmosphere, decent pay, lots of opportunity.

Cons

Lots of top down blame and reliance on entry level employees and managers and solve problems that executives don't take accountability for.

Stop applying the same fixes to the same problems that don't work. Cut losses with people who clearly have no idea what they are doing. Invest in long term growth of employees who are burnt out by years on the phones.

Be Weary about working Here At CU

Current Employee - Insurance Sales Agent  in  Westborough, MA
    Current Employee - Insurance Sales Agent in Westborough, MA

I have been working at Consumer United for less than a year

Pros

Pay for all the licenses fee in becoming a national Producer in writing Home and Auto Insurances.

Cons

High pressures, un realistic goals for making quota

Quitting changing the bonus compensation every month, stop selling the sales agents on lies and empty promise.

Worked for Consumer United? Contribute to the Community!