Consumer United
www.consumerunited.com Boston, MA 150 to 499 Employees

Consumer United Reviews

Updated Jul 10, 2014

Justin Dangel

Pros:
  • "great team members, opportunity for growth, awesome training and work-life balance"
    in 5 reviews
  • "There are some great people trying to drive forward the company, working tirelessly who you can get behind"
    in 5 reviews
Cons:
  • "Ever changing compensation structure makes it extremely difficult to know how much you may make"
    in 5 reviews
  • "long stressfull hours, ever-changing compensation plans, rabid favoritism to name a few"
    in 4 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

great experience

Prosgood comp. structure for employees

Conslow salary base for yearly income

Be Weary about working Here At CU

Insurance Sales Agent (Current Employee)
    Westborough, MA

ProsPay for all the licenses fee in becoming a national Producer in writing Home and Auto Insurances.

ConsHigh pressures, un realistic goals for making quota

Advice to Senior ManagementQuitting changing the bonus compensation every month, stop selling the sales agents on lies and empty promise.

Constant management changes

Sales Manager (Former Employee)
    Boston, MA

ProsYou get to learn a lot.

ConsContinued C- Level changes are an obvious indication the company is failing. If you are smart they will exploit you. If you are good at sales, you'll quit this place in 6 months. You'll be working hard and late to make up for all of the slackers and politics. This place has so many law suits and problems its actually comical. If you like being on a Jerry Springer episode gone bad, you should come work here as a "lead qualifier".

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Unprofessional

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThere were some managers willing to help you learn how to sell. For the most part, they just want to use people to advance their own careers.

ConsThere were homophobic sales agents and a heavy drinking culture. I was made to feel very uncomfortable at work. Company culture is to lie.

Advice to Senior ManagementRetain your salesforce. You burn them out, you do not grow.

Terrible

Producer (Former Employee)
    Westborough, MA

ProsCo-workers were awesome, very relaxed atmosphere, not far commute

ConsRequired you to come in on weekends, practically cold calling, ever changing compensation structire

Run, Run, Run, and If You're a Woman Run Even Faster!!!!

Sales Agent (Former Employee)

ProsFor the most part none, there are a couple of good people within the company. If you're recent college grad and are completely desperate with absolutely no other option then consider C.U. Otherwise look elsewhere.

Cons-Lack of women within the company, both at the bottom and the top.
    -Complete lack of diversity at the top.
    -They hire anyone that has a pulse, thus you'll be working with incredibly stupid people. Colleagues that don't know that Philadelphia is a major city in the state of Pennsylvania.
    -It's turning into a call center, is not sales anymore but rather customer service
    -Management are incredibly unprofessional, immature jerks, who are power hungry and willing to backstab anyone in order to get to the top.
    -Completely lacks innovation
    -Not a good company to have on your resume.

I'm giving C.U about 3 years, then another much more innovative company is going to kick them to the curb. I don't see them becoming the next big thing. C.U is more like one of those incessant telemarketing companies rather than an innovative start up. C.U is more like a large independent insurance agency with a national and online presence.

The sad part about everything is that the business idea is absolutely great. It's agonizing to see such a great business idea being butchered by such level of stupidity and lack of innovation.

Advice to Senior ManagementI don't think that the anyone in management is a great visionary or innovator. Try to fosters ideas from the people that you hire. However, to be frank I think you should just let C.U sink.

Fun and unique company, great people, great culture... money to be made..

Boston, MA

Prosnice benefits, great place for people to get into an industry (insurance) and learn all about it, a career starter ... allows young talent to excel, gives opportunity to grow... great training program.. accessible executives who will listen to their employees and cares about their success, positive environment all around!

Consupper management can be a little secretive but have been quick to realize the error of their ways and as a result are striving to improve all elements of the company... sometimes tech issues...

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you are doing (building an excellent company!)

Exciting, friendly, dedicated and intelligent

Innovation (Current Employee)
    Boston, MA

ProsTremendous growth opportunity is created in a sector commonly frowned upon. The management team running the company care about every individual's success and works to improve everyday, weather through training, coaching, or fixing technology when glitches occur. I have been there from the beginning and have seen it all. One reason why, is the CEO truly cares about each persons success, as well as what we stand for, which is helping our customers, along with passion for the success of the company.

ConsThrough the growth of any company, sometimes changes occur, and one has to be willing to accept change in order to get better and have successful growth. Some might consider this a challenge, I consider it opportunity.

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunication is decent with the work force and is getting better day to day. Keep it up!

Hard Work is Rewarded

Marketing Project Coordinator (Current Employee)
    Boston, MA

ProsThere is opportunity to learn and grow professionally everyday at Consumer United. Earning potential is great along with an opportunity of ownership as a long term financial benefit. Being in a start up environment knowing that I will receive a paycheck for the here and now along with stock options is a constant motivator to add value. The organization is flat, I personally have sat down with the CEO to simply talk about my thoughts about the company.

I categorize my experience here as a career and not a job. Within 1 year I have gone from 0 insurance production licences to 12. Also, from 0 sales relationships to hundreds of clients. Lastly, after 1 year I have been promoted into a role that is extremely exciting and brimming with opportunity.

In summation: Work Hard, Add Value, Be Rewarded.

ConsThere are times when extra hours are needed to get the job done. Like any other business, challenges arise that impact employees.

I've learned more here than all my pointless internships and previous jobs combined...

Boston, MA

ProsGreat place to learn, not just the insurance industry, but also how to adapt to an ever changing market and understand how to properly sell. You will work hard, and it will pay off, but you have to work hard. One of the most annoying things is co-workers complaining on how "terrible" it is to work here when they are taking multiple 30-minute smoke breaks and wonder why they aren't hitting their numbers. You learn how sell, which is a skill that's recession proof and will get your foot on the door regardless of where you want to be in the future. I've also made amazing friends since it's a young company and my coworkers are also in their early to mid-20's. The training department is always up to teaching you how to get back on track if you're behind. C-level executives are available to talk to at least once on a weekly basis.

ConsAs a start up things change all the time so it feels a bit unstable. I've read Glassdoor reviews of other start ups, and the problems with CU are no different. The changes can get overwhelming at times.

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunicate better, work as a team, and never stop improving. I can see we are moving to better work-life balance and healthy office lifestyle, and things will be better once we get there. In the meantime, continue CEO driven company meetings.

Worked for Consumer United? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Consumer United reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Consumer United CEO Justin Dangel. All 56 reviews posted anonymously by Consumer United employees.