Consumer United

Updated November 15, 2014
Updated November 15, 2014
2.9

Justin Dangel

Pros
  • Some people are nice and mean well but the majority are as fake as they come (in 6 reviews)

• great team members, opportunity for growth, awesome training and work-life balance (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Ever changing compensation structure makes it extremely difficult to know how much you may make (in 4 reviews)

• It's turning into a call center, is not sales anymore but rather customer service (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Good company.. most of the time

I worked at Consumer United

Pros

I enjoyed my time at CU as I performed as the top sales rep during my time there. They spend a lot of money on purchasing good leads for their agents which in turn made it fairly easy to sell policies. They also make an effort to make the company a fun place to work. Justin Dangle, the CEO, was very hands on with me during after work activies such as happy hours.

Cons

Angry customers due to high call volume. Some of the sales managers can be more pushy than helpful.

Set an expectation for policy goals and then let the agent work. We all want to do as well as possible, do not need motivation.

Not a good place to work which is why they changed the company name

Former Employee - Call Center Specialist in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Call Center Specialist in Boston, MA

I worked at Consumer United full-time (less than an year)

Pros

-Free lunches
    -The people there are friendly
    -Great benefits and retirement plan
    -Great location downtown Boston

Cons

-Less than decent pay
    -Not organized, rules and policies would change everyday
    -Hours always changed from month to month
    -If you didn't get enough transfers they would fire you

Great Company

Former Employee - Sales in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Sales in Boston, MA

I worked at Consumer United full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

It is a great environment to work in and has opportunity for upward advancement.

Cons

Compensation is sub par and the bonus structure changes a lot.

Keep the employees in the loop with future plans.

Great people, pretty good atmosphere

Current Employee - Sales Agent in Boston, MA

I have been working at Consumer United full-time (less than an year)

Pros

A lot of the reviews are negative, but it's really not that bad. It's a sales job - some people sink, some people swim. If you know what your doing its not too hard to make good money. There's a young vibe, there is always music playing, and the job itself is pretty standard. If you like talking to people, it's good.

Cons

Hours can be kind of long, and sometimes it can be pretty stressful, but basically what you'd find anywhere else.

More training for managers.

Much better company now then ever before

I have been working at Consumer United full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Awesome co-workers, free snacks, and biz casual environment make this a pretty good place to work. There was a time when things were pretty bumpy, but a lot of the people that weren't doing right by the company and customers were let go. I'm going to be real - this place isn't perfect, but it's a job and for the most part I like it here. The people are hands down the best part - definitely makes it more fun to come to work when you work with your friends. The CEO is a good guy. He's passionate for sure and will tell you what's on his mind but he cares. So yah, he sent an email to the whole company saying if you don't want to be here you should leave, but i agree with him. As I said there were people at the company that weren't doing right by the company and ever since they left the company is better off in my opinion.

Cons

Sales can be tough so you can't do this job if you're not competitive and hungry.

Would be nice to see more female leadership

Get to be a starter right away

I have been working at Consumer United full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Not CU any more now they are Goji. If you're looking at sales gigs like software sales or other financial products your gonna qualify leads for six months before they let you at a real customer. Training is strong but fast and if you put the work in up front and want it bad enough you'll hit the numbers they want. If you spend a year on the phone here you can sell anything.

Cons

Bonus structure changes all time. Management wants one thing this month and another the next.

Be more consistent with what you want from people.

Good Things Coming

Current Employee - Insurance Sales Agent in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Insurance Sales Agent in Boston, MA

I have been working at Consumer United full-time (more than an year)

Pros

This company has had its ups and downs over the past year or so, but big changes in the company recently have left a clear path to its continued success. I have been with Goji for over a year, and despite some changes with the staff. things have continued to improve. They started offering the employees Reebok Crossfit during regular hours, and its been a good way to get away from the phone for a while. We recently started airing commercials which already has made a difference in my sales numbers. I see a lot of good things coming down the pipe. The company is pioneering an industry, and the people who work here will eventually benefit from it.

Cons

A lot of change occurs here. there are a lot of perks for working with a startup, but one of the cons is the amount of change that happens on a regular basis. They have been trying to keep things as concrete as possible, but unfortunately there is still a learning curve.

Try to be as transparent as possible with changes being made.

Great place to start your career and grow personally and professionally.

I have been working at Consumer United full-time (more than an year)

Pros

This is a start up feel atmosphere that encourages enthusiasm, optimism and excitement. There are several perks such as free food daily, free crossfit, and free yoga. Senior management has open office hours weekly to entertain and suggestions for growth and development. Personal growth is huge because you are not in an established environment you are able to do a lot of trial and error and learn first hand from your personal experiences in the professional environment. The work life balance is great with 3 weeks PTO and all holidays paid. Benefits from day one are also extremely competitive. Hard work is not only recognized it's rewarded.

Cons

As any company some late nights are required during busy months. Over time is paid out to those who are not salaried. Also because it is a newer company things are constantly changing so you have to thrive in a fast paced environment. If you do not like change, then this is NOT for you.

Mixed Feelings

Current Employee - Sales
    Current Employee - Sales

I have been working at Consumer United full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I got the talent I need to move on and excel. The training is A1. All the major tools recent college grads need can be attained through this employer

Cons

No direction. Every month has its MAJOR downs that sales experience miserable.

Stop throwing things at the wall and hope it sticks. ACTUALLY PLAN THINGS OUT BEFORE.

Right out of college? Great place to start!

Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Boston, MA

I have been working at Consumer United full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The only company that took me seriously as a young professional. The company does a great job at making you feel valued as an employee, and the really try to reward you for your great work.
    I haven't heard of very many companies where the CEO will have open office hours, as well as a company that takes there employees suggestions seriously.
    The pay is great right out of college, the benefits are pretty awesome as well!

Cons

The company is still a start up, so there is a lot of growth and change. This is great because as an employee you can choose to be part of that change, and make your opinions known during office hours.
    If you aren't someone who can handle change, this probably isn't the company for you.

Keep listening to employee feedback, it feels great to be heard by upper lever people within the company!