Consumer United Reviews

Updated April 24, 2015
78 reviews filtered by
2.5
Justin Dangel

Pros
  • Some people are nice and mean well but the majority are as fake as they come (in 6 reviews)

• great team members, opportunity for growth, awesome training and work-life balance (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Ever changing compensation structure makes it extremely difficult to know how much you may make (in 4 reviews)

• It's turning into a call center, is not sales anymore but rather customer service (in 3 reviews)

1. Take From It What You Can

Former Employee - Sales Agent in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Sales Agent in Boston, MA

I worked at Consumer United

Pros

Great training on sales philosophy.

Cons

Name it and it's probably an issue but there are very few ears there to help.

Advice to Management

Get organized and communicating more with the sales force in regards to the direction of the company will ease the suicidal thoughts.

2. Scam!

I have been working at Consumer United

Pros

Benefits. 401k. Health insurance.

Cons

There is nothing good to say about this company. Everyone is a hypocrite. Employees writing down customer credit card numbers. Totally sketchy! Don't do business with this place.

Advice to Management

Stop hiring criminals

3. The management has been considerably restructured since I left, but while I was there it was pretty dysfunctional

Former Employee - Sales Agent
    Former Employee - Sales Agent

I worked at Consumer United full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Easy way to break into sales if it's a new thing for you but be prepared to be on the phone at least 6 hours a day

Cons

--Relatively low pay for A LOT of work
    --During my time there, management was largely unresponsive to feedback from sales associates

Advice to Management

Value feedback from your sales associates.

awful

I worked at Consumer United full-time

Pros

you can learn the business of selling in general and decide if its really what you want to do or not.
    the training is exceptional, but the day to day reality of the job is atrocious.

Cons

shady business practices, low base pay, constantly changing bonus structure. they'll rip off there employees as much as there customers

Advice to Management

shut it down already, you have swindled enough people already.

A good place to start a professional sales career

Former Employee - Manager, Trainer in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Manager, Trainer in Boston, MA

I worked at Consumer United full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you are considering a career in sales, Consumer United (now Goji) should be on your list of companies to look into. This is a young company with energy and vision. It offers a unique value proposition to its customers, and therefore, an advantageous position for its sales agents.

Consumer United/Goji is an agency for multiple, big-name, insurance companies. The agents have the ability to match each customer with the best insurer for his or her needs quickly and efficiently, using software that provides real quotes based on the customer’s actual data in combination with the agent’s professional judgment.

This is a company that invests in its employees. Taking employees from being new hires to professional insurance agents is a multiphase process. The company assists new hires in obtaining their individual producer licenses (there used to be a class; I don’t know whether this has changed), and handles licensing in the states in which they will be selling. After the licensing tests have been passed, there is extensive classroom training (with plenty of hands-on and practice) followed by time in the “incubator,” a sales environment with support in which new agents can develop before moving to their sales teams. The entire process is designed to provide people with the knowledge and skills they need to be successful, to set them up for success.

This is a national agency with offices located in Massachusetts, therefore, customers work with the agents over the phone, not face-to-face. The agents are provided with leads, a benefit, and the leads are contacted by a dialer. As with any sales position, metrics are important.

Here, you will find an opportunity to grow professionally and personally: you will enjoy extensive training, qualified leads, unique technology, becoming a seasoned professional, and becoming an integral part of a sales team. In addition, the company strives to create a comfortable environment with areas to relax, play, and even watch TV; there are regular social events. This is a “flat” company, senior management is readily accessible. You will be expected to work hard, work smart, and do the best you can for both your customers and the insurance companies. You will do well by doing good: this company promotes from within, so the opportunity extends far beyond entry-level sales.

This is a commissioned sales position, there is a base. The benefits are comprehensive.

Cons

At the time that I was there, the commission structure was being reviewed; I assume that this has been resolved.

Welcome to the land of drug dealers and high school dropouts

Current Employee - Anonymous in Westborough, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Westborough, MA

I have been working at Consumer United full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

If you wanted to purchase something to help your glaucoma, you could get "medication" easily on the sales floor

Cons

Where to begin... I was on the corporate team at "Goji" for quite some time and I saw a lot of illegal things happen here. Unfortunately, there was two big things that stood out. One was drug deals on the sales floor, and the other was insurance fraud that would ruin the lives of the consumers. Essentially, recruiting was bringing in any person with a pulse and having a completely unprofessional people conduct the interviews, which in turn, brought in a lot of sub par employees. The managers would then teach these people how to cheat the insurance carriers to save the customers money. Why did this not work? Well, the insurance carriers would either find out that we wrote an unlawful policy and would cancel it, or someone would get in an accident and sue because they didn't have the coverage they needed. These offenses are felonies. Other than the fraud, there was plenty of illegal activity going on during the course of the workday. I saw multiple drug deals take place, and "management" did nothing.

I would also like to comment on the management. Anyone with talent leaves within a year of being there. They have no leadership, and the people they have running it are either a bunch of spoiled daddy's boys with a ton of money, or people who have no legitimate experience in the professional workforce who got lucky.

If you are okay with making $14.00 an hour, and being sold on a fake "bonus" plan, this is the place for you! If you want to begin a career, not around a bunch of drug deals and fraud, I would suggest waiting for a real offer from a company like an Allstate or Liberty Mutual. Goji is a sinking ship with no leadership. I hope you take this warning seriously. They won't be around this time next year.

Advice to Management

None of you have any idea what you are doing. Just sell the company and give up. Its too far gone.

And the band played on... Goji is a sinking ship and ghost of Its former self

Former Employee - Sales Manager in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Sales Manager in Boston, MA

I worked at Consumer United full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you are willing to compromise your morals or are unethical to begin with, there is a SLIM chance you can make roughly 45k to 55k a year. That is being aggressive.

Cons

The company used to be an innovative, aggressively growing company, but now is deep into the process of either flat out going out of business, or if they get lucky, maybe they will be acquired by another company which is not privy to how horrid and unethical management is. I had managers try to convince me lying (or in their mind using certain lines taught in training) was ok in order to close the deal.

About a year ago if you sold 40 policies a month your bonus would b e about 1500, 50 per month about 2500 to 3000, 60 per month about 3500 to 4000. Now attaining a bonus of any of those amounts is literally impossible.

If you have to take away one thing it is that this company is on the decline. It is on the trajectory because of horrendous managment and simply the way employees are treated. When boiler room is looked upon as a good example of the culture should be, a movie about criminals, you know your in the wrong place.

My advice is to save your soul and much aggravation and time wasted and avoid this company at all costs. Trust no one and read the reviews here. When a company has a dedicated debt. hired to write fictitious positive reviews that says all you need to know...

Advice to Management

Fire them all and start fresh. It's a hail Mary, but may be the only long shot chance of turning a well concerted idea into a legitimate company.

Not a good place to work which is why they changed the company name

Former Employee - Call Center Specialist in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Call Center Specialist in Boston, MA

I worked at Consumer United full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Free lunches
    -The people there are friendly
    -Great benefits and retirement plan
    -Great location downtown Boston

Cons

-Less than decent pay
    -Not organized, rules and policies would change everyday
    -Hours always changed from month to month
    -If you didn't get enough transfers they would fire you

Good company.. most of the time

I worked at Consumer United

Pros

I enjoyed my time at CU as I performed as the top sales rep during my time there. They spend a lot of money on purchasing good leads for their agents which in turn made it fairly easy to sell policies. They also make an effort to make the company a fun place to work. Justin Dangle, the CEO, was very hands on with me during after work activies such as happy hours.

Cons

Angry customers due to high call volume. Some of the sales managers can be more pushy than helpful.

Advice to Management

Set an expectation for policy goals and then let the agent work. We all want to do as well as possible, do not need motivation.

Get to be a starter right away

Current Employee - Sales Agent in Boston, MA

I have been working at Consumer United full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Not CU any more now they are Goji. If you're looking at sales gigs like software sales or other financial products your gonna qualify leads for six months before they let you at a real customer. Training is strong but fast and if you put the work in up front and want it bad enough you'll hit the numbers they want. If you spend a year on the phone here you can sell anything.

Cons

Bonus structure changes all time. Management wants one thing this month and another the next.

Advice to Management

Be more consistent with what you want from people.