Consumer United

www.consumerunited.com

Consumer United Reviews

Updated Jul 16, 2014

Justin Dangel

Pros
  • great team members, opportunity for growth, awesome training and work-life balance(in 5 reviews)

• There are some great people trying to drive forward the company, working tirelessly who you can get behind(in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • It's turning into a call center, is not sales anymore but rather customer service(in 3 reviews)

• Ever changing compensation structure makes it extremely difficult to know how much you may make(in 3 reviews)

great experience

Prosgood comp. structure for employees

Conslow salary base for yearly income

Hard Work is Rewarded

Marketing Project Coordinator (Current Employee) Boston, MA

ProsThere is opportunity to learn and grow professionally everyday at Consumer United. Earning potential is great along with an opportunity of ownership as a long term financial benefit. Being in a start up environment knowing that I will receive a paycheck for the here and now along with stock options is a constant motivator to add value. The organization is flat, I personally have sat down with the CEO to simply talk about my thoughts about the company.

I categorize my experience here as a career and not a job. Within 1 year I have gone from 0 insurance production licences to 12. Also, from 0 sales relationships to hundreds of clients. Lastly, after 1 year I have been promoted into a role that is extremely exciting and brimming with opportunity.

In summation: Work Hard, Add Value, Be Rewarded.

ConsThere are times when extra hours are needed to get the job done. Like any other business, challenges arise that impact employees.

Exciting, friendly, dedicated and intelligent

Innovation (Current Employee) Boston, MA

ProsTremendous growth opportunity is created in a sector commonly frowned upon. The management team running the company care about every individual's success and works to improve everyday, weather through training, coaching, or fixing technology when glitches occur. I have been there from the beginning and have seen it all. One reason why, is the CEO truly cares about each persons success, as well as what we stand for, which is helping our customers, along with passion for the success of the company.

ConsThrough the growth of any company, sometimes changes occur, and one has to be willing to accept change in order to get better and have successful growth. Some might consider this a challenge, I consider it opportunity.

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunication is decent with the work force and is getting better day to day. Keep it up!

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Fun and unique company, great people, great culture... money to be made..

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Boston, MA

Prosnice benefits, great place for people to get into an industry (insurance) and learn all about it, a career starter ... allows young talent to excel, gives opportunity to grow... great training program.. accessible executives who will listen to their employees and cares about their success, positive environment all around!

Consupper management can be a little secretive but have been quick to realize the error of their ways and as a result are striving to improve all elements of the company... sometimes tech issues...

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you are doing (building an excellent company!)

Great Work Environment and Opportunity for Growth

ProsI absolutely love the people who I work with! I have never worked at a company where everyone gets along and are always willing to help each other out and help to improve each other. The opportunity for growth is great, I have been with Consumer United for almost 2 years now and the experience has been great; I have had the opportunity to explore three different positions and now I absolutely love the position that I am currently in! To see how much the company has grown since I have started has been amazing.

ConsMy Friday nights are always booked because we often have happy hours on Fridays.

The opportunities to Learn and Grow are Endless!

Other (Current Employee) Boston, MA

ProsLove the upbeat, dynamic pace of the company. Everyone has the opportunity to contribute suggestions to help make this a better place. Executives are super open and receptive to new ideas. Lots of sales agents are promoted within the company over to the corporate side if they're interested in doing so. Helps ensure that informed decisions are made throughout the company!

ConsThings move fast in a company like this so you have to be flexible!

Advice to Senior ManagementWould love maybe one additional paid holiday, but aside from that really like what you guys are doing!

I've learned more here than all my pointless internships and previous jobs combined...

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Boston, MA

ProsGreat place to learn, not just the insurance industry, but also how to adapt to an ever changing market and understand how to properly sell. You will work hard, and it will pay off, but you have to work hard. One of the most annoying things is co-workers complaining on how "terrible" it is to work here when they are taking multiple 30-minute smoke breaks and wonder why they aren't hitting their numbers. You learn how sell, which is a skill that's recession proof and will get your foot on the door regardless of where you want to be in the future. I've also made amazing friends since it's a young company and my coworkers are also in their early to mid-20's. The training department is always up to teaching you how to get back on track if you're behind. C-level executives are available to talk to at least once on a weekly basis.

ConsAs a start up things change all the time so it feels a bit unstable. I've read Glassdoor reviews of other start ups, and the problems with CU are no different. The changes can get overwhelming at times.

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunicate better, work as a team, and never stop improving. I can see we are moving to better work-life balance and healthy office lifestyle, and things will be better once we get there. In the meantime, continue CEO driven company meetings.

I think its a great place to learn the industry.

Sales Representative (Current Employee) Boston, MA

ProsIf you were not a closer before you are now. Its a very energetic and fun place to work. Plus if you do your and stay positive you will be very happy with the pay.

ConsLike any company doing sales you working on a outbound dialer and that can get tiresome if you don't know how to pace yourself. Other than that the company is great and only getting better with time.

Advice to Senior ManagementThats one of their best attributes they hire almost all the management from within. Its alot easier talking with someone who has been there before.keep up the good work.... Trevor

Good coffee

Sales Representative (Current Employee) Boston, MA

ProsUnlimited coffee and great music

ConsCoffee should be closer to my desk. Also, I wish I had more points.

Advice to Senior ManagementGood job

Thoughts after a little under a year of working here

Senior Sales Associate (Current Employee) Westborough, MA

Pros-unlimited compensation structure, potentially earn $5000+ off of bonus in one month
    -great co workers
    -leads are purchased for you, so your only responsibility is to be a good salesperson
    -company events
    -rapidly growing company
    -quick promotions if you are a good employee, knowledgeable with carriers, and prove your sales skills

Cons-growing pains of constant new technology and structures
    -bad attitude from the people who are bad at selling. most bad reviews here are from bitter people that didnt even make goal after a month of training
    -some days you speak to crappy people

Advice to Senior Managementmore one on ones with struggling salespeople

Worked for Consumer United? Contribute to the Community!