Consumer United Reviews

Updated August 20, 2014
Updated August 20, 2014

3.1

Justin Dangel

Pros
  • great team members, opportunity for growth, awesome training and work-life balance (in 5 reviews)

• There are some great people trying to drive forward the company, working tirelessly who you can get behind (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • It's turning into a call center, is not sales anymore but rather customer service (in 3 reviews)

• Ever changing compensation structure makes it extremely difficult to know how much you may make (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Great idea but like most companies the bottom line is $

Former Employee - Sales Agent  in  Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Sales Agent in Boston, MA

I worked at Consumer United full-time for less than a year

Pros

You work with a lot of young and fun people. Social is great.

Cons

Saying one thing and wanting another. "We want to save you money" No they want to sell you a policy that might lower your coverage so you don't pay more. Which is fine if the elderly lady on the other line knew what I was doing. Agents will lie to customers and managers encourage this and any "glitch" in the insurance programs.

Maybe wait longer than a month to change pay structure...multiple times. Let people get their full bonus instead of spreading it out between several months.

Hey, it's a paycheck

Former Employee - Licensed Insurance Agent  in  Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Licensed Insurance Agent in Boston, MA

I worked at Consumer United full-time for less than a year

Pros

A lot of good people on the sales and training teams. I have done worse things for less money.

Cons

They convince you that you are helping people. I was there 6 months I annoyed a heck of a lot more people that I ever helped.

Consumer United: Where dreams go to die

Former Employee - Sales Agent  in  Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Sales Agent in Boston, MA

I worked at Consumer United full-time for more than a year

Pros

Random outings are paid for by the company, if you are good at sales, you can make decent money. There's some genuinely nice people who work there.

Cons

Unrealistic sales goal, "bro" atmosphere, everyone is either on drugs or selling drugs, male to female ratio of 20:1, whoever said run run run, run faster if youre a woman was spot on.

Treat your employees better. There's great salespeople that get burnt out from being on the phones so long.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Groundhog Day

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at Consumer United full-time

Pros

A workplace that really allows you to be yourself. Fun, competitive atmosphere, decent pay, lots of opportunity.

Cons

Lots of top down blame and reliance on entry level employees and managers and solve problems that executives don't take accountability for.

Stop applying the same fixes to the same problems that don't work. Cut losses with people who clearly have no idea what they are doing. Invest in long term growth of employees who are burnt out by years on the phones.

Don't waste your time

Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative  in  Westborough, MA
    Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Westborough, MA

I worked at Consumer United full-time for less than a year

Pros

Salary + commission, but that's if they pay you correctly

Cons

Walked in for an interview... Employees were sitting on the floor, barely half were working, and managers did not give a crap about you if you walked in the door.

Shape up, grow up, and make your company an actual place to work if you're going to hire people.

Constant management changes

Former Employee - Sales Manager  in  Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Sales Manager in Boston, MA

I worked at Consumer United full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

You get to learn a lot.

Cons

Continued C- Level changes are an obvious indication the company is failing. If you are smart they will exploit you. If you are good at sales, you'll quit this place in 6 months. You'll be working hard and late to make up for all of the slackers and politics. This place has so many law suits and problems its actually comical. If you like being on a Jerry Springer episode gone bad, you should come work here as a "lead qualifier".

Be Weary about working Here At CU

Current Employee - Insurance Sales Agent  in  Westborough, MA
    Current Employee - Insurance Sales Agent in Westborough, MA

I have been working at Consumer United for less than a year

Pros

Pay for all the licenses fee in becoming a national Producer in writing Home and Auto Insurances.

Cons

High pressures, un realistic goals for making quota

Quitting changing the bonus compensation every month, stop selling the sales agents on lies and empty promise.

Unprofessional

I worked at Consumer United

Pros

There were some managers willing to help you learn how to sell. For the most part, they just want to use people to advance their own careers.

Cons

There were homophobic sales agents and a heavy drinking culture. I was made to feel very uncomfortable at work. Company culture is to lie.

Retain your salesforce. You burn them out, you do not grow.

Run, Run, Run, and If You're a Woman Run Even Faster!!!!

Former Employee - Sales Agent
    Former Employee - Sales Agent

I worked at Consumer United full-time for more than a year

Pros

For the most part none, there are a couple of good people within the company. If you're recent college grad and are completely desperate with absolutely no other option then consider C.U. Otherwise look elsewhere.

Cons

-Lack of women within the company, both at the bottom and the top.
    -Complete lack of diversity at the top.
    -They hire anyone that has a pulse, thus you'll be working with incredibly stupid people. Colleagues that don't know that Philadelphia is a major city in the state of Pennsylvania.
    -It's turning into a call center, is not sales anymore but rather customer service
    -Management are incredibly unprofessional, immature jerks, who are power hungry and willing to backstab anyone in order to get to the top.
    -Completely lacks innovation
    -Not a good company to have on your resume.

I'm giving C.U about 3 years, then another much more innovative company is going to kick them to the curb. I don't see them becoming the next big thing. C.U is more like one of those incessant telemarketing companies rather than an innovative start up. C.U is more like a large independent insurance agency with a national and online presence.

The sad part about everything is that the business idea is absolutely great. It's agonizing to see such a great business idea being butchered by such level of stupidity and lack of innovation.

I don't think that the anyone in management is a great visionary or innovator. Try to fosters ideas from the people that you hire. However, to be frank I think you should just let C.U sink.

Terrible

Former Employee - Producer  in  Westborough, MA
    Former Employee - Producer in Westborough, MA

I worked at Consumer United full-time for less than a year

Pros

Co-workers were awesome, very relaxed atmosphere, not far commute

Cons

Required you to come in on weekends, practically cold calling, ever changing compensation structire

Worked for Consumer United? Contribute to the Community!