Consumers Energy

Consumers Energy Reviews in Jackson, MI

Updated Jun 23, 2014

Consumers Energy President and CEO John G. Russell

John G. Russell

Pros
  • There is good pay and many opportunities(in 7 reviews)

• Benefits are about average but flexibility can be very good or very bad (depending on position) and the amount of vacation time is excellent(in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Depending on the position you hold, the work-life balance can be a bit skewed(in 4 reviews)

• Very low morale in IT, people trying to leave organization but being prevented from applying to other positions(in 4 reviews)

28 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Pretty good company to work for.

Employee Development Consultant (Current Employee) Jackson, MI

ProsSolid Company with advancement opportunities. You start off with 15 days vacation and 6 months of sick time.

ConsMost people here have an average of 20 years, so people are stuck in their ways.

A Great place to work

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Jackson, MI

ProsLongevity - generally people who work here stay for a long time.
    Family Friendly - not only does it offer great benefits, but flexible hours (depending on your job, of course) and family really does come first here. I've never had to worry about losing my job when i'm helping take care of my elderly mother.
    Great pay - competitive, feel like I'm getting what I'm worth

ConsPace - things really do move more slowly than I'd like.
    Advancement - You really have to make your own way - there are some advancement programs, but you basically have to be a relative of someone special (i.e. a VP) to get 'on the list'

Advice to Senior ManagementWork on a promotional program for existing employees who are not engineers.

Stable work opportunities

Technical Communications Consultant (Current Employee) Jackson, MI

ProsThe company seems to have a stable work environment as well as many friendly and down to earth people who work there.

ConsDecision making sometimes seems to be on the slow side. In addition, i noticed a number of people seemed to voice that they had little access to senior leadership. It was almost as if there was a void between ground level workers, middle management and upper management.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

boring

Intern (Current Employee) Jackson, MI

Prosgood pay, good balance, good people

Consboring work, slow, no advacenment

Advice to Senior Managementmicro managed, no clear goal

Educational

Cooperative Assistant (Current Employee) Jackson, MI

ProsChallenging and great work environment

ConsI don't have any cons for this company.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work!

Was a good Company until the current CEO took over

IT Manager (Former Employee) Jackson, MI

ProsGreat place to work, stability, family culture, trust, can retire place

ConsThe current CEO got a new CIO in 2010 and then together they tried to implement IT Outsourcing which failed miserably. So many good folks left the company including the old and the new CIO(Fired would be the right term). Very low morale right now.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe CEO needs to go now.

Consumers Energy is a good to their interns.

Intern (Former Employee) Jackson, MI

ProsThe people were very friendly. I enjoyed the work I was given. There were many opportunities for interns to learn more about the company through intern tours. The company prides themselves on helping the community, so we also got to volunteer.

ConsThe interns could be given more tasks.

Rather uninspiring, but hey it's a job.

Data Analyst (Former Employee) Jackson, MI

ProsDecent pay. Rarely is the job stressful or is any overtime needed. Too many interns, not enough work to give them.

ConsOld employees, mostly guys who used to work in the automotive industry, but now have kids and can't handle the hours. A little stuck in their ways

Advice to Senior ManagementNot much you can do to create excitement for a utility.

Great COmpany and great benefits!

Environmental Planner (Current Employee) Jackson, MI

ProsThis company has the best benefits plan I have ever heard of. Bar NONE!

ConsCan't think of anything presently.

Advice to Senior ManagementKEEP DOING WHAT YOU'RE DOING!

Great Place to Work

Cooperative Assistant (Current Employee) Jackson, MI

ProsVery friendly coworkers, great pay, the company recognizes those who take their career seriously and want to contribute to its success.

ConsCan't think of any. Only complaint is it is in Jackson.

Worked for Consumers Energy? Contribute to the Community!