Consumers Energy

Updated February 12, 2015
3.9

Consumers Energy President and CEO John G. Russell
John G. Russell

Pros
  • There is good pay and many opportunities (in 8 reviews)

• Benefits are about average but flexibility can be very good or very bad (depending on position) and the amount of vacation time is excellent (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Depending on the position you hold, the work-life balance can be a bit skewed (in 5 reviews)

• Very low morale in IT, people trying to leave organization but being prevented from applying to other positions (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

33 Employee Reviews Back to all Reviews

Great Company to work for

Current Employee - Cant Say in Jackson, MI
    Current Employee - Cant Say in Jackson, MI

I have been working at Consumers Energy full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great people, highly trained. Job security, regular raises, small bonus plan. No ego's, very friendly workplace.

Cons

Big company, lots of mandatory diversity and ethics training sessions. Seems they submit to whatever
    flavor of the day that the latest consulting firm has recommended for best practices, blah blah blah. Would like to see them stick to their own values and traditions and stand for the same values, mission, goals of today and yesteryear, not just what is in vogue today. Their values are whatever the consultants told them they should be.

Get some people with some strong personalities. Seems most higher level management/officers are only doing what the system recognizes in order to meet their "benchmarks' for bonuses/promotions, instead of being leaders/pioneers, creative minds.

Good for external hires, bad for those trying to climb

Current Employee - Senior Business Support Consultant in Jackson, MI
    Current Employee - Senior Business Support Consultant in Jackson, MI

I have been working at Consumers Energy full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

It's a stable, healthy company. The people are pretty nice, good to work with. Up and coming Officers are solid (including IT department which is now under good management). There are a good amount of lazy people though so being a "high performer" means you get work piled onto you. Work enjoyment and soft perks (like telecommuting) are really based on VP area.

Cons

HR actively sabotages talent. A job is posted at a certain salary, and if you're an internal candidate they will give you a 3-5% raise in lieu of the extra salary - and yet expect you to perform the full duties of the position. I've witnessed this dozens of times and I'm not even privy to that information. It definitely takes a hit on morale because it is talked about. Why do you have faith in someone to do a job but won't back it up? "Hey you're getting $40k and we're hiring you for a $70k job. You need to perform all the duties of the job, but we're going to pay you $44k. And you should thank us." That policy makes no sense and happens all the time -- and I'm not exaggerating the numbers.

I believe this is because they think you have no other recourse: they're the only major employer in Jackson. I know people the same age with similar background where one gets paid literally twice the other because one was an external hire and the other an internal promotion. For you external candidates, the magic salary grade is 19 (approximately $109-$119k). If you make above that your annual bonus is 5 digits. If you make below that it is 3 digits. Yes, 3.

CEO John Russell's response is "if you're not happy then get the hell out of here." Rather than fix things he just thinks anyone who raises their hand is a bad apple.

In short: if you're coming from the outside, jump at it. Good company. But don't plan on living out your career here if you're wanting to increase earnings. It's a shame to let all those relationships people build go to waste, but it's well known that peer company DTE pays better for the same jobs.

My message is have some faith in your home grown talent. It's not competitive and the truth is the company has a major retention problem with employees under the age of 30 for this very reason. A promotion is a punishment at this company.

Administrative wages are 'average' at best.

Current Employee - Administrative Specialist in Jackson, MI
    Current Employee - Administrative Specialist in Jackson, MI

I have been working at Consumers Energy full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent benefits, abundance of vacation days given. Administrative wages are 'average' at best.

Cons

Slow to get a wage increase (unless across the board). Almost better to quit and apply for an open position then try to 'climb' the ladder

Great place to work!

Current Intern - Data Analyst in Jackson, MI
    Current Intern - Data Analyst in Jackson, MI

I have been working at Consumers Energy as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Pay, Advancement Opportunities, People: might just be my department but the people here are down to earth, casual, and genuine, Flex hours for non interns, job security

Cons

This goes with one of the pros of the company, Advancement Opportunities, but the company is getting old! The average age of a person working here is upwards of 50+ so a lot of people are getting ready to retire...They need people to fill these jobs and the company loves promoting from within.

In general, a good place to work where Management seeks to keep everyone as well informed as possible

Former Employee - Calibration Technician in Jackson, MI
    Former Employee - Calibration Technician in Jackson, MI

I worked at Consumers Energy full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Coworkers were friendly. Management tries to keep employees informed as best as possible. Generally supportive of requests for additional job training. Good work/family balance and flexibility.

Cons

Getting some things accomplished can be challenging. An example would be trying to get new software for our lab that only we needed and would use. The process of justifying cost to the IT department was extremely cumbersome. As soon as we seemed to have it done, in would come a new Project Manager and demand to have it all done again.

When a department has a project in the pipeline, don't change the procedures retroactively and then expect those departments to start all over. It's a monumental waste of time.

Pretty good company to work for.

Current Employee - Employee Development Consultant in Jackson, MI
    Current Employee - Employee Development Consultant in Jackson, MI

I have been working at Consumers Energy full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Solid Company with advancement opportunities. You start off with 15 days vacation and 6 months of sick time.

Cons

Most people here have an average of 20 years, so people are stuck in their ways.

A Great place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jackson, MI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jackson, MI

I have been working at Consumers Energy full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Longevity - generally people who work here stay for a long time.
    Family Friendly - not only does it offer great benefits, but flexible hours (depending on your job, of course) and family really does come first here. I've never had to worry about losing my job when i'm helping take care of my elderly mother.
    Great pay - competitive, feel like I'm getting what I'm worth

Cons

Pace - things really do move more slowly than I'd like.
    Advancement - You really have to make your own way - there are some advancement programs, but you basically have to be a relative of someone special (i.e. a VP) to get 'on the list'

Work on a promotional program for existing employees who are not engineers.

Stable work opportunities

Current Contractor - Technical Communications Consultant in Jackson, MI
    Current Contractor - Technical Communications Consultant in Jackson, MI

I have been working at Consumers Energy as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

The company seems to have a stable work environment as well as many friendly and down to earth people who work there.

Cons

Decision making sometimes seems to be on the slow side. In addition, i noticed a number of people seemed to voice that they had little access to senior leadership. It was almost as if there was a void between ground level workers, middle management and upper management.

boring

Current Intern - Intern in Jackson, MI
    Current Intern - Intern in Jackson, MI

I have been working at Consumers Energy as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

good pay, good balance, good people

Cons

boring work, slow, no advacenment

micro managed, no clear goal

Educational

Current Intern - Cooperative Assistant in Jackson, MI
    Current Intern - Cooperative Assistant in Jackson, MI

I have been working at Consumers Energy as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Challenging and great work environment

Cons

I don't have any cons for this company.

Keep up the good work!