Consumers Energy

Updated October 27, 2014
3.7

Consumers Energy President and CEO John G. Russell
John G. Russell

Pros
  • There is good pay and many opportunities (in 8 reviews)

• Benefits are about average but flexibility can be very good or very bad (depending on position) and the amount of vacation time is excellent (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Depending on the position you hold, the work-life balance can be a bit skewed (in 5 reviews)

• Very low morale in IT, people trying to leave organization but being prevented from applying to other positions (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Loved my customers!

I worked at Consumers Energy (more than 3 years)

Pros

Customers were the high light of my day.

Cons

No where to climb in the future!

Great Company to work for

Current Employee - Cant Say in Jackson, MI
    Current Employee - Cant Say in Jackson, MI

I have been working at Consumers Energy full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great people, highly trained. Job security, regular raises, small bonus plan. No ego's, very friendly workplace.

Cons

Big company, lots of mandatory diversity and ethics training sessions. Seems they submit to whatever
    flavor of the day that the latest consulting firm has recommended for best practices, blah blah blah. Would like to see them stick to their own values and traditions and stand for the same values, mission, goals of today and yesteryear, not just what is in vogue today. Their values are whatever the consultants told them they should be.

Get some people with some strong personalities. Seems most higher level management/officers are only doing what the system recognizes in order to meet their "benchmarks' for bonuses/promotions, instead of being leaders/pioneers, creative minds.

Administrative wages are 'average' at best.

Current Employee - Administrative Specialist in Jackson, MI
    Current Employee - Administrative Specialist in Jackson, MI

I have been working at Consumers Energy full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent benefits, abundance of vacation days given. Administrative wages are 'average' at best.

Cons

Slow to get a wage increase (unless across the board). Almost better to quit and apply for an open position then try to 'climb' the ladder

office space

I worked at Consumers Energy

Pros

decent pay, good people to work with.

Cons

stuck answering phones every second of the day

your doing fine

Great place to work!

Current Employee - Data Analyst in Jackson, MI
    Current Employee - Data Analyst in Jackson, MI

I have been working at Consumers Energy as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Pay, Advancement Opportunities, People: might just be my department but the people here are down to earth, casual, and genuine, Flex hours for non interns, job security

Cons

This goes with one of the pros of the company, Advancement Opportunities, but the company is getting old! The average age of a person working here is upwards of 50+ so a lot of people are getting ready to retire...They need people to fill these jobs and the company loves promoting from within.

In general, a good place to work where Management seeks to keep everyone as well informed as possible

Former Employee - Calibration Technician in Jackson, MI
    Former Employee - Calibration Technician in Jackson, MI

I worked at Consumers Energy full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Coworkers were friendly. Management tries to keep employees informed as best as possible. Generally supportive of requests for additional job training. Good work/family balance and flexibility.

Cons

Getting some things accomplished can be challenging. An example would be trying to get new software for our lab that only we needed and would use. The process of justifying cost to the IT department was extremely cumbersome. As soon as we seemed to have it done, in would come a new Project Manager and demand to have it all done again.

When a department has a project in the pipeline, don't change the procedures retroactively and then expect those departments to start all over. It's a monumental waste of time.

Good place to work

I have been working at Consumers Energy

Pros

Great pay. Nice people. Can work from home when I need to.

Cons

Working 60-70 hours a week. Not enough resources for all of the current projects.

Customer Service is just "Lip Service"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative III in Saginaw, MI
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative III in Saginaw, MI

I worked at Consumers Energy full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Years ago, employees cared about the customers and the Company, and the Company cared about its employees and customers. No more as management seeks to outsource as many jobs as possible. If you were an actual Company employee, many benefits such as health, dental, vision, 401k, however, as jobs are outsourced, benefits are becoming a thing of the past.

Cons

CSRs are required to get the caller off their line in under 425 seconds (that time includes also selling them on the Appliance Service Plan) - Doesn't matter if the customer has been on hold for 2+ hours, calling every month for the last 6+ months, waiting on a billing correction that has taken 90+ days and still hasn't been completed, etc. The Company preaches "First Call Resolution" but is in reality, all about the numbers and NOTHING to do with actual Customer Service. I tried multiple times to no avail to bring these issues to the attention of management and now am on the outside, looking in. This also speaks volumes to their call for "Business Ethics" which is again, little more than a glossy advertisement, lip service, and a complete failure to implement an ethical business model.

Instead of outsourcing employees, try cutting back on all of the middle management. They are sucking this Company bone dry in their efforts to make their "numbers" and to hell with the actual supply of utility service to the customers of the State of Michigan. Also, software implementation was over 6 years ago - quit hiding rate errors, meter reading issues, and overall billing accuracy under the guise of a "software issue under review"! The customers of the State of Michigan won't take this lack of service much longer and the market will be opened up to other companies who still value genuine Customer Service!

Work/life balance? Not in the Lansing Call Center.

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative I in Lansing, MI
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative I in Lansing, MI

I worked at Consumers Energy full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The training was excellent. Better than any call center training I have ever had. The benefits are amazing and the pay is okay.

Cons

None of the Lansing Call Center managers should be in management. They micromanage even the best employees (200% of goal consistently) to the point where people have to make repeated union complaints. Get ready for 100% negative reinforcement regardless of how well you do. They are not above public shaming of an employee or humiliating an employee in emails. Further, forget about work life balance. Without seniority, you can look forward to 80 hour work weeks plus a pager. I left because they wanted me to work 24 out of 36 hours and the stress was creating a heart beat issue for me.

Please monitor all communication between lansing call center managers and your employees for one week without them knowing. Please have them undergo classes on sensitivity and also on motivating people positively and effectively. Also, it would be nice if people who were promoted were actually qualified and trained for their jobs, especially resource management. In addition, as a person with food allergies, it is very difficult to function in an environment where pot lucks inside the call center are frequent, as food cooking in crock pots aerosolizes and can then be inhaled. I was sick on multiple days when there was a pot luck, but I still worked because I had to. If this practice could be limited to break areas only, that would be better for those with allergies. I complained, but was brushed off my manager.

During the six years I worked at Consumers a Energy the health and vacation benefits were excellent.

I worked at Consumers Energy

Pros

There is a union and there are salary reviews on a regular basis .

Cons

Some of the supervisors do not make their employees work problems a priority.

It would be beneficial to the Company if office politics were kept out of the mix when employees put in for jobs to move within the company.

Consumers Energy Photos